Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Solomon Grundy [HoE]
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony
View previous topic :: View next topic  
strelkov
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:00 pm    Post subject: Solomon Grundy [HoE] Reply with quote

here just a question can some one with Solomon Grundy
Syndrome take omega man making him a realy big guy that dosen't need to worry about dieing at 20 possibly making him the oldest grundy? plus when did Solomon Grundy Syndrome start? the book just says lot of the children in la have it but im assuming its any one after the war not before thus making most Grundies 13 or younger (depending on the time frame) in that case how do they know they die at 20? or was there some before the war? meaning a 13-16 year old grundy (at the nuke) where to take omega man thus being 26-29 years old at the present making him very big with a lot more experience than some one else his age thus making him smarter than his fellow grundies? #1eek13
strelkov
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sence im asking crazy question like this already could you tecnacally make a grundy thats was given the Super Soldier serum and was part of Operation Damocles because he was a omega man? i see him as a "Special" realy big guy that was probally a an experiment for the military making somone that could tear the head off a large beast and not even need a power suit but being that dumb they would need a way to controll him eather a micro chip or brain washing or better yet have there comading officer be a syker? im only thinking this for some nasty npc my posse could fight Twisted Evil . but i think i got a bit too far off hand. thats a vigour of at least 4D12 +6
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some one with that syndrome only needs to be able to growl one phrase

"Solomon Grundy want pants"
strelkov
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol so do you think it feasable to have grundy super soldiers controled by a chip or a syker?
strelkov
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reading the Operation Damocles stuff i think they would be a great help at rebiulding the us unless there chip/ syker died. strong enuff to be construction equipment and a team of them could easly take down would be warlords
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I created a Mad Scientist who controls apes with vacuum tubes implanted in their heads and he has a control board the size of a portable electric piano.

It's your game you can do it to
The One
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Realistically you can't combine Solomon Grundy syndrome with Operation Damocles as one is a pre-War opperation and the other is a post war program. As for Omega man, it's far more plausible to combine them but remember the experiement started in Las Vegas after the war.

Personally if you want an oversized combat monster, combine Operation Damocles with Huge Size and Super Soldier serum.
Wendigo1870
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or ignore grundies and take whatever you want from the Hekants' mutations. An Operation Damocles Super Soldier Hekant!

Anyway, if you still go for the 'educated and experienced' Grundy, he still needs the chance to become experienced at anything. In LA, he's not going to get much mental learning possibilities; rather he's an experienced fighter, surviving this long in competition with other muties in a Deadland.
strelkov
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wendigo1870 you so far have given me a lot of ideas for my future campain and i thank you for it sir Smile
Edivdrone
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to play killjoy. Spoilers:
Quote:
Solomon Grundy Syndrome is the result of a polymer developed by Amanda Lucas. The intent was to create a means to immunize soldiers against the harmful effects of radiation. The polymer does this by thickening the DNA strand. Unfortunately, this also causes the cells to divide at five times their normal rate. Silas has directed Amanda to administer this treatment to some of the children under her care at Circus Circus. So Grundies only 'appear' here. This can be found in City o' Sin.

Also, since they are immune to mutations, Grundies can't take Omega Man, at least to start. Omega Man is a specialized mutation, as can be found in its description in the HoE companion. So if someone was already a Grundy, they can't acquire this Edge.

Now, if you are dead set on getting an Omega Man Grundy, you can still develop it through a great deal of role playing and adventuring. Send your posse into Las Vegas for a reason of your own devising, and while they are there, have them hear rumors of what is happening at Circus Circus. When they investigate, the truth is found, and they even get their hands on some valuable loot. What occurs next is up to them, but you should be able to find a way to nudge them in the right direction.
Wendigo1870
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Grundy could've had Omega Man before he became a Grundy. Actually, all my players who wanted Veteran of the Weird West took Omega Man (in some altered form sometimes) to justify their longevity. And it need not always be radiation that causes a mutation! (Ever seen 'The Man From Earth'? What if he got selected for some SG experimenting?)

Strelkov, I'm happy to help someone! Cool
Teller
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPOILERS FOLLOW

Wendigo1870 wrote:
The Grundy could've had Omega Man before he became a Grundy.

Remember, as I wrote in CoS, Grundies are made from children usually under the age of 3, or were exposed in utero to the drug that causes the Syndrome, and only exist post-Judgment Day (actually, a few years post-JD once Amanda Lucas started her program). This shoots down the Damocles idea. Not sure why you would waste the points on Omega Man--these creatures have been raised by the Cult o Doom to hate norms, and the main point of them is that they are adult-sized creatures with child-like minds who, because of their immaturity, make fearless shock troops, and would only be 9-10 years old by 2097.
Omega Man would only help years down the line if the Grundy was taken away from the CoD and raised in a normal environment.
strelkov
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

then here my question If the oldest grundies are 10 how do they know they die of old age at 20 besides math. what im thinking is what if they age to as old as us but never stop growing? that would make for one big though force to be reckoned with. i know the book says 20... i have a new question would a templar ever take one in to be a squire? im thinking a templar saved the 3 year old grundy (looks like he was 15 from green robe as the greens were killing the grundies parents[they were tring to get him out of la so he could grow up with a better life] ) felt sorry for the dumb brute not knowing the whole fact he was realy 3 just thought he was special. so the templar raised and took care of the grundy and the grundy became the templars squire. Fluff wise does this idea work?
strelkov
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one last thing i know its kinda dumb but the super soldier program is a serum right? so if the greens got a hold of it and put it in some grundies would that work? they would have knowledge 1D4-2 but a vigour 4D12+6 (going with the minimums for the super soldier) or would the mutation resistace get in the way of the serum?
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to cover all the Grundy answers available...

Quote:
Doomsayers: Grundies

Q) Can Grundies take the Omega Man mutation? - darrin

A) Nope. [John Hopler, HoE listserv, 7/16/99]

Q) I'm pretty sure Grundies can't take minor or major mutations as edges/hindrances. What if they get caught in a radstorm, or poke around some ruins too long... can they acquire mutations that way? If so, what if they wind up with one of the age-related mutations? - darrin

A) Correct, Grundies cannot take mutations as Edges or Hindrances. I'd have to say that Grundies are immune to mutations in general, even those of supernatural origin. Their hyper-accelerated metabolisms and immune systems simply squash any mutated cells before they can grow into full-blown mutations. [John Hopler, HoE listserv, 7/16/99]

Q) Can Grundies become Initiates and learn Doomsayer powers? How about Hekants? - darrin

A) Nope, they just aren't able to grasp the concepts needed to tap the Glow.[John Hopler, HoE listserv, 7/16/99]

Q) It seems obvious enough a Grundy wouldn't have enough time to become a normal Syker. Can they be Greenies? - darrin

A) Since a greenie's abilities usually manifest on their own, and require no study, Grundys can be greenies. [John Hopler, HoE listserv, 7/16/99]

Q) I think its safe to say Grundies can become Companions, but how about Templars, provided the Grundy has the necessary skills or goes through the year or service as a squire? - darrin

A) They can become Companions, but not Templars. Grundies are far too emotionally immature to administer the Templars test of worth, and Simon would never make one a full-fledged Templar. A Grundie Templar would likely protect a band of cutthroats who treated him nicely and gave him candy and turn his back on a settlement that yelled at him for breaking something. [John Hopler, HoE listserv, 7/16/99]

Q) Next... what about Grundy Junkers? Don't seem to be any major requirements for Junking, other than Academia Occult and such. - darrin

A) Nope, as with Doomsayers, junker magic is too complex a subject for Grundies simple minds. The thing to remember with a Grundy is that you are dealing with someone who at best is the mental equal of a 6-year-old. That's the official ruling, but if your Marshal wants to allow a Grundy who's a prodigy, he can allow the character to take any arcane background he wants (of course this holds true for every other rule in the book). From a game balance stand point combining Grundy with most of the arcane backgrounds is simply too powerful. [John Hopler, HoE listserv, 7/16/99]

Q) And... of course... if the serum were available, could Grundies become Super Soldiers? - darrin

A) No, the syndrome has already cranked their body's performance up as high as it will go. [John Hopler, HoE listserv, 7/16/99]

www.peginc.com
strelkov
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the last one with the fact there body is already maxed out does that mean they couldn't make use of a Adrenal Boosters for scrapers?
Edivdrone
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wendigo1870 wrote:
The Grundy could've had Omega Man before he became a Grundy.

That is actually what I was getting at with my earlier post.

Quote:
The posse gets the formula/serum and uses it on themselves. They won't age if they are Omega Men, but one could argue that the increased cell split rate allows the character to put on muscle mass very fast, and lots of it. Further, one can make a good case for greater resilience and healing. Boosted Vigor, and; cells split at five times the normal rate? Then you heal at five times the normal rate! One healing roll a day! Woot! And immune to mutations from that point on on. WOOT! WOOT!

strelkov
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wait a sec so would that work if a super soldier took the grundy serum or would the body still be maxed. both serum do differen't things ie the sand and what not
Teller
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you read the description in CoS, the Grundy formula microploymer given to anyone over the age of 3 does nothing for them (CoS, p. 74). I wrote it this way to prevent the abuse you're trying to create. Twisted Evil
Wendigo1870
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't blame us for trying, ... Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: