Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Savage Rifts?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sean Patrick Fannon
Heroic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Savage Rifts? Reply with quote

Has anyone taken on the task of converting the "Rifts" setting to Savage Worlds?

I know there's not going to be a "public posing" of such, due to not wishing to get into trouble with the owner's feelings about public distribution of conversions of his stuff...

... but if anyone has already tackled this rather herculean task, I would be ever so grateful to see what you came up with.

Seanpatfan {at} gmail ::dot:: com for private exchange.

Thanks in advance!

Bad Dog. Good Games.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Demonicuss Krinn
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was dinking around with savaging some of the Rifts material, and the only things I thought of was this:

That whole "Multi-Damage" thang - Just replace MDC with Heavy Weapons/Armor.

Cyborgs and Power Armor/Robot Pilots (and probably Sparkly Lad Suit Pilots are in there too) - I'm reading the Sci-Fi Toolkits for inspiration and aid, trying to think of what works the best.

Technowizards - use AB: Mad Science. Maybe try to make up a somewhat more detailed system (like classic Deadland's Mad Science or HoE's Junkers - or something like Low Life's Weapon Creation System) to allow players some more creativity in their creations.

And that's pretty much it. The more "iconic" OOCs of Rifts (you know, the Juiced Ones, the Deadpool Reenactors, and Those Magic Walkin' Dudes) are hard to convert to Savage rules. But yeah, feel free to keep me in the PM/email loop.
Strickland5
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the Juiced Ones, the Deadpool Reenactors, and Those Magic Walkin' Dudes
Those are just edge/hindrance 'packages', you just balance it like a race, a net +1 and move on.

Juiced Ones
You hero has become more than he was. Perhaps he was weak and felt he needed to be strong, or was just tired of being bullied... regardless you've accepted the latest body modifying chem treatment

+1 Strength
+1 Vigor
Addiction (Major)

etc etc etc
supercOntra
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you try the old "convert the feel not the rules" it's no big deal since SW is made to be generic. I think most has been said already.
Demonicuss Krinn
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Strickland: Re - Juiced Ones, and other "races"
- To me, I think it's hard to do the OOCs because I can't figure out a decent Savage Way to do their most recognizable bits - The Juiced get their augmented Strength and Vigor, but they're dead within five years. Same with the Madmen, the stronger they get, the more nuts they go (maybe this could be a penalty to Spirit and Int that increases as they go from Seasoned to Vet as such?). The Walkin' Dudes seem pretty easy, but how to accurately portray the "bonuses and perks" they get once they start "Walking" a Ley Line?

I don't have the books with me at the moment, I'll try to figure something out later.
Yuri
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hee Hee! Are you doing what I think you are Sean?

Hee Hee!

Y
Strickland5
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demonicuss Krinn wrote:
To Strickland: Re - Juiced Ones, and other "races"
- To me, I think it's hard to do the OOCs because I can't figure out a decent Savage Way to do their most recognizable bits - The Juiced get their augmented Strength and Vigor, but they're dead within five years. Same with the Madmen, the stronger they get, the more nuts they go (maybe this could be a penalty to Spirit and Int that increases as they go from Seasoned to Vet as such?). The Walkin' Dudes seem pretty easy, but how to accurately portray the "bonuses and perks" they get once they start "Walking" a Ley Line?

I don't have the books with me at the moment, I'll try to figure something out later.

Madmen get a madness much like Mad Scientist in Deadlands, who also they trade power for lunacy.

As for the dying at time "X"... just treat it like the Ailin' hinderance with a bit of modification... something like the following

Short Lived: Every year your hero must make a Vigor roll which is modified by the number of years been on the drug/augment, negatively of course.

With that in mind, perhaps you could go with this...

Juiced Ones
You hero has become more than he was. Perhaps he was weak and felt he needed to be strong, or was just tired of being bullied... regardless you've accepted the latest body modifying chem treatment

+1 Strength
+1 Vigor
Chem Aided Healing: Make Natural Healing rolls daily at +1

Addiction (Major)
Short Lived: Every year your hero must make a Vigor roll which is modified by the number of years been on the drug/augment, negatively of course.
dentris
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done quite a few things for this conversion. If i can find my notes I'll send you a e-mail with what i got.
pneumonica
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I admit it's a technical truth, I don't think it's quite appropriate to have the Loose Juices with the Addiction Hindrance. Since they have instant access to their drugs du jour whenever they feel like it, it doesn't really count as an Addiction.

Now, if they ever try to get off the Sauce, the Addiction becomes a really intensive replacement to the Short-Lived Hindrance for the next several games. Maybe require a Guts roll every game, with a failure meaning they go back to being a Juicy Fruit. Accumulate the number of successes and raises that they get - once they accumulate some large number (say, 20), they're off the OJ.

If you want to penalize them with withdrawal symptoms, a -1 penalty to Strength and Vigor rolls might do it. Maybe dock Wild Cards a benny as well.
insomniac009
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Palladium Robotech conversion that covers mecha pretty well. It's been revised to take the Savage Worlds Sci Fi Gear book more into consideration and I think it's pretty elegant. It should work on Rifts too.

It can be found at-
http://savage-gamer.wikispaces.com/Savage+Robotech
supercOntra
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dentris wrote:
I've done quite a few things for this conversion. If i can find my notes I'll send you a e-mail with what i got.

Can you send me your files too? I like the rifts universe but dislike the rules.
tylermo
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell yeah! Savage Rifts. Can I get those notes, as well?
Demonicuss Krinn
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dentris, might as well be a pal and email me those notes you did, as well.
Sunsword
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could I get in on those notes too?

Mr. Green
dentris
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just send me a pm with your email adress.
dentris
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a little info about those who asked for my conversion. I'm at my parents' house for easter, so I don't have access to my computer and therefore my Rifts file. I'll send it tho those who sent my a pm as soon as I come home Monday.
opey2dope
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one thing that comes to mind....the parent game (Rifts) uses a system of damage that is incredibly bombastic; normal gunfights level towns and punch craters in mountains, as the base system is written. Keep that in mind with any conversion.

Now personally, I hate that idea, and throw it right out the window. In my games, the multiverse of Rifts is more like Shadowrun or Star Wars in its level of technology; advanced, but not so ridiculous.
Demonicuss Krinn
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said in my earlier post, the whole "SDC/MDC" thing is easily replaced by substituting MDC with Heavy. Simple, quick 'n easy.
dentris
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's right. Some weapons are still incredibly powerful, but not as much as in the vanilla game.
dentris
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I send it to those who gave me a PM, please give me comments. I want to know what you think.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: