Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

(Classic HOE) Junker device drain

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Evangelos
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:49 am    Post subject: (Classic HOE) Junker device drain Reply with quote

Our next HOE game will likely have a junker in the posse, so I decided to read over Junkman Cometh and Iron Oasis (the latter because my character is going to have a few junker-built scrapper enhancements).

Something doesn't make sense to me. In Iron Oasis, a device's Drain is listed in Drain/round unless otherwise noted, but it doesn't seem like it's ever "otherwise noted" for any device. I was looking at the Expert System, which as written is 3 Drain/round, divided by CPU size (so probably 1 or so per round unless the CPU is big).

I built a junker hoverbike using Junkman Cometh with (IIRC) 7 Drain per hour. The Expert System is essentially just a computer fused with the brain, right? It doesn't seem right that powering a large engine on a hoverbike uses about 0.00972 drain per round while a computer uses a whopping 1 per round.

In Junkman Cometh, powers such as Commo and AI at a glance seemed to indicate that their Drains would be nothing close to even 1/round -- more like 1-10 or so per hour or day. Were things like the Expert System and Radio scrapper enhancements supposed to have Drain/minute or Drain/hour instead? Would it be reasonable to change the listed Drains for those things to Drain/hour instead of Drain/round?
Zombi Bobb
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally would not change the drains of any of the powers. Just quickly reacquainting myself with bionics and Iron Oasis, I think the "unless otherwise stated" is referring to things like the Biomechanics table. The Biomechanics power, I think, is the whole reason that the Expert system is such a drain. The Biomechanics power conveys that making people-part-replacements is difficult and expensive both initially and in the long run. If you look at what it would take to make the Expert system with a junker, I think you might be getting a deal with the premade system. I'd say it'd be an organ so that's the 2 drain as noted in the Expert system. Then on top of that, you would have to build in the Brains power. Not a huge jump, but a jump nonetheless, as opposed to CPU size divided by 3.

Sum up: I think that drain/round is fair for bionics. It makes bionics an actual risk and keeps at least my players from just cybering up and kicking butt without concern.
Evangelos
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biomechanics is specifically only for things not covered by other junker powers (and I'm not talking about reducing drain from the powers, just from certain scrapper devices). An Expert System isn't really an organ, it's more like a computer that boosts your brain. It's even categorized as Modular as opposed to Integral.

Reading over the Brains power, it actually covers many (if not basically all) of the things that the Expert System does, and it's listed in Drain/hour.
Edivdrone
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty certain that the high drain is the result of the device getting transcribed from the Cyborgs version, which is 2 drain/round. I would say go nuts and make anew as to how you see holding true to the junker power that does the same thing. On which topic, think of the possibilities or a CPU with the Brain Drain power built in for a Syker. Razz
Evangelos
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played around with it a bit, and while you can't get quite to the level of the Expert System without some serious raises on Miniaturize, you can get a halfway respectable little internal computer with a Drain measured in points per hour and a much lower monetary cost -- maybe even as low as 10% of what the book price is.

My scrapper was intended to have just a few fairly light modifications -- claws, AV1 exo armor, and maybe a radio or expert system -- and I wanted to be able to use my computer without needing a Soul Tap.
Edivdrone
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought; the book based version states that it uses portions of the waster's brain for things like storage and processing. You might want to take that into account by decreasing the amount of slots needed, given that there is no size increase for junker or pre-war version. Talk it over with your Marshall(or junker), and take a look at the rules for how a sensor that relies on a person to make the checks works.

In this case I would say a tiny increase in the number of slots needed to account for the additional hook-ups to the brain, but not much more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: