Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adding a little flair to intiative

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dont Die
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Adding a little flair to intiative Reply with quote

A player in our group suggested that it would be fun if there was some sort system for interesting things to happen when the initiative cards come up as poker hands similar to some of the mechanics in Deadlands. I gave this some thought so I came up with quick notes to keep things Fast, Furious and Fun and simple. I didn't want to bog down each round with players checking their cards. I took some of inspiration from the Drama Deck from Shatterzone. Also, I wanted to add something to the mix that encouraged the players to break the mindset from other games and do more than “I attack!”

Matches (Pair, Three of a Kind, Four of a Kind): When the initiative cards of allied characters match, those characters (only the ones with matches) gain the benefit of the Common Bond Edge for that round.

Aces: If a charater draws an Ace and successfully performs a certain action based on the suit then he gains a Benny. Spades:A successful Intimidate check, Clubs: A successful Taunt check, Hearts: A successful Smarts Trick, Diamonds: A successful Agility Trick.
Lord Skudley
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm, I like that. Any thought to the other poker hands?

Aces and Eights... Anyone who dies {PCs and NPCs alike} during this round comes back as harrowed but must make a Dominion check against the Marshal. If the player looses...
Dont Die
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about it but in my own mind I figured it would slow things down too much with so many options. The players would be pausing between each round of combat to figure out what they had.
The Common Bond with the matches is easy to remember. And heck with the Aces, I can just break out a marker and write on the card. Let's see Ace of Clubs: TAUNT. No one would have to remember what suit does what. It's right there.
Count Zero
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like that Common Bond for a round idea. You've inspired me to take a look at the old Drama Deck again. Wink
supercOntra
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it and will try it. It does give an advantage to the players since the mooks just get one card.
manifold
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:39 am    Post subject: yes, man. Reply with quote

This is really cool, and it's a good way to get players to try new things. Great idea.

http://manifold2.deviantart.com/
philth
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: yes, man. Reply with quote

manifold wrote:
This is really cool, and it's a good way to get players to try new things. Great idea.

Agreed, think I'll give this a go at my next game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: