Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Professional Edges Inspired By D20 Prestige Classes...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flynn
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:02 am    Post subject: Professional Edges Inspired By D20 Prestige Classes... Reply with quote

Good Evening, All:

Lately, I've been taken with the idea of developing Professional Edges from the concepts behind some of the D20 prestige classes that I've enjoyed in my D20-based fantasy gaming. Here are the first ones I've come up with. These don't capture all the abilities of a prestige class, but rather the concept behind it, bringing that flavor into the game.

I would like to ask if any of you have any input or suggestions for improvements, as well as any other Professional Edges inspired by prestige classes that you've come up with. I'd definitely like to see the thoughts of others on this concept.

With Regards,
Flynn

Quote:
Arcane Archer
Requirements: Veteran, Shooting d8+, Spellcasting d8+, Arcane Background (Magic)
The Arcane Archer can imbue arrows with magical power. Arrows fired by the arcane archer inflict +1 damage, and the damage is considered magical as well as piercing for purposes of a target's weaknesses or immunities.
In addition, the arcane archer can channel their spells into arrows and other projectiles. Any power that has a Range of Touch or greater can be focused on an arrow. When the arrow is shot, the spell effect manifests at the location of the target. Area effect spells that miss will deviate like thrown grenades. It should be noted that the arrow disintegrates just before hitting the target, making it possible to deliver beneficial effects such as Boost Trait.

Archmagus
Requirements: Legendary, Smarts d12+, Spellcasting d12+, Magus
Very few arcanists earn the coveted title of Archmagus, but those that do are truly powerful in the ways of magic.
Archmagi have such mastery of spellcasting that they may cast two spells a round (although they still take a multiple action penalty for doing so.) They may also ignore one point of Maintenance penalties.

(This one actually came from a conversion I found online last weekend, but I liked it, and decided to keep it. That's what started this whole thing for me.)

Mystic Theurge
Requirements: Veteran, Knowledge (Arcana) d8+, Knowledge (Religion) d8+, Arcane Background (Magic or Miracles)
A Mystic Theurge may be a mage that dabbles in divine prayers or a priest that explores arcane spells. In either case, a Mystic Theurge blurs the boundaries between miracles and magic.
Due to their intensive study of both arcane and divine magic, a Mystic Theurge may learn powers that are normally denied to them. For example, a mage can learn healing, while a priest can master the burst power. This Edge does not grant any bonus powers, simply the ability to spend Edges to learn these new powers.
Also, when using magic items that are restricted to either Spellcasting or Faith as an arcane skill, the Mystic Theurge may use their own arcane skill instead of the one required.

Stellar Reaches, a free fanzine for Classic Traveller and Traveller T20
http://stellarreaches.nwgamers.org/
Sitting Duck
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Professional Edges Inspired By D20 Prestige Classes... Reply with quote

Flynn wrote:
Archmagus

What is this Magus Edge from? Or is it simply meant to be an alternate name for Wizard?
DaRealJudas
Seasoned

Location: Officially Bremen, Germany but mostly my own little world inside my head (soo peaceful & pretty)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Professional Edges Inspired By D20 Prestige Classes... Reply with quote

Flynn wrote:
Archmagus
Very few arcanists earn the coveted title of Archmagus, but those that do are truly powerful in the ways of magic.
Archmagi have such mastery of spellcasting that they may cast two spells a round (although they still take a multiple action penalty for doing so.) They may also ignore one point of Maintenance penalties.

(This one actually came from a conversion I found online last weekend, but I liked it, and decided to keep it. That's what started this whole thing for me.)

Isn't that one from Shaintar?! I remember something like that...
Flynn
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Professional Edges Inspired By D20 Prestige Classes... Reply with quote

Sitting Duck wrote:
Flynn wrote:
Archmagus

What is this Magus Edge from? Or is it simply meant to be an alternate name for Wizard?

It's a Wizard alternate, limited to specific trappings. It encourages themed spellcasters, which adds to the flavor of the setting.

Hope This Helps,
Flynn
Flynn
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Professional Edges Inspired By D20 Prestige Classes... Reply with quote

DaRealJudas wrote:
Flynn wrote:
Archmagus

Isn't that one from Shaintar?! I remember something like that...

It may have been originally. I found it in an online conversion, and thought it sounded good, so I am adopting it for my game.

I'll check Shaintar, and if it is, I'll make the appropriate references in my "player's guide".

With Thanks,
Flynn
Flynn
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here are a few more.

Enjoy,
Flynn

Quote:
Blighter
Requirements: Seasoned, Arcane Background (Miracles), Faith d8+, Knowledge (Nature) d8+.
The Blighter is a nature priest that has turned down a darker path. Once driven to protect the world about him, the Blighter is now a force of destruction. By defiling the world about him, he can draw Power Points that he can then channel into his spells.
To use this ability, the Blighter must first determine how many Power Points he wants to draw from the surrounding environment. Then he makes a Spirit roll minus the number of points he is trying to drain. The Blighter gains a +2 on his Spirit roll in an area of extremely dense vegetation, and suffes a -2 penalty in an area of sparse vegetation. This act is considered a free action. If successful, the Blighter gains the number of points he attempted to draw, and must use them immediately to cast a spell (within the same round). On a failure, the Bligher is Shaken. On a critical failure, the Blighter is Shaken and automatically suffers a wound. No matter what the result, all non-sentient vegetation within five squares per Power Point is killed, and the land will not sustain new plant life until it has been properly cleansed and sanctified.

Inquisitor
Requirements: Seasoned, Arcane Background (Miracles), Faith d8+, Knowledge (Arcana) d8+.
The Inquisitor is known for his intolerance of corruption, and works diligently to remove the influence of demons from among the faithful. Towards that end, Inquisitors are well versed in the detection and removal of evil.
So long as the Inquisitor has at least one Power Point, he may spend an action to detect the presence of supernatural evil. By making a successful Notice skill trait check, opposed by the supernatural creature's Spirit, the Inquisitor can identify a supernatural evil creature within 12 squares. This does not expend a Power Point.
In addition, Inquisitors can a +2 bonus to any opposed trait check when defending themselves from the actions of a supernatural evil creature.

Sacred Fist
Requirements: Seasoned, Martial Artist (aka Unarmed Warrior), Arcane Background (Miracles), Faith d8+.
The Sacred Fist is a member of a sacred order of unarmed warriors devoted in service and prayer to a specific church. Having foresworn the use of weapons, the Sacred Fist seeks to explore the spiritual connections between himself and his deity.
The Sacred Fist has learned to channel holy fire through their unarmed attacks, covering their body in blue-white fire. This ability takes an action to invoke, and can be dismissed as a free action. While covered in sacred flame, the damage from the Sacred Fist's unarmed attacks count both as holy and fire, in addition to blunt, when considering a creature's immunities and weaknesses. This sacred flame can start fires, as per normal fire-based effects.

fanchergw
Heroic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the damage from Arcane Archer is considered magical, do those with Arcane Resistance get to apply that resistance to it?

Gordon
Flynn
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fanchergw wrote:
Since the damage from Arcane Archer is considered magical, do those with Arcane Resistance get to apply that resistance to it?

Gordon

Good question. By concept, I would say not, but by the rules, it would seem so. Unless I take the viewpoint that, because the damage is both magical and piercing, it gets around the Arcane Resistance via piercing. Or alternately, because Arcane Resistance is neither an immunity nor a weakness, it does not apply in this instance. Yeah, I like the second reason better.

With Regards,
Flynn
Flynn
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And by my previous post, I'd have to remove the last sentence of Sacred Fist, since the damage type only applies to immunities and weaknesses.

With Regards,
Flynn
Emryys
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work Flynn Smile

Makes me want to breakout the GR Thieves World stuff and check the prestige classes...
Heroic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flynn wrote:
the Inquisitor can identify a supernatural evil creature within 12 squares. This does not expend a Power Point.
In addition, Inquisitors can a +2 bonus to any opposed trait check when defending themselves from the actions of a supernatural evil creature.

I think you mispelled "ADD +2 BONUS"

PS: instead giving a fixed D&Dish "12" range, I would link it to the spirit dice. Sounds good?

PPS: thanks to share them with us, keep the good work!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: