Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Savaged Tide: "Rum and Gunpowder" Magic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rambling Scribe
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: Savaged Tide: "Rum and Gunpowder" Magic Reply with quote

So I'm running the Savage Tide AP from Dungeon using SWEX. I've converted the setting to a slightly lower magic fantasy setting with a stronger feel of Pirates and Lost Worlds exploration. Frex, I've ditched all the fantasy races, and thrown in Gunpowder.

I'm using four kinds of arcane background. Miracles only have non-verifiable effects, and don't include healing. Healers use pseudo-scientific medical bags full of awful tools and elixers, and basically having healing and greater healing as a super power. Voodoo is currently reserved for villains and npcs.

The last one is black powder magic.

I've created a secretive black guild, who hold the secrets to the manufacture of black guild powder, and black powder weapons. They sell these to everyone, but no one else can manufacture them, and black guildsmen can perform incredible feats using gunpowder that normal folks cannot.

One of the secrets known only to the highest ranks of the guild is that black powder is actually powered from hell. Black powder explosions are tiny hellgates releasing energy from the abyss.

I've taken inspiration from a couple of things. One is Tim Powers' book "On Stranger Tides," although some of the stuff in that is historical (like Blackbeard fighting with lit slowmatch twisted into his beard). Another is a little trivia thing I heard. Apparently when rifling was first invented, the explanation for it working was that little demons liked to ride bullets and pull them off course. If you spun the bullet, the demon would fall off the bullet, so it would fly straighter.

I'm converting all the novice powers that I want black guildsmen to have access to, and I'll post them here when I'm done that task (I'll do the higher rank powers when it becomes relevant).

You'll see that I've messed around with a few other things too, rules-wise. The hellgate stuff also won't appear in the novice power descriptions, since novice guildsmen don't know that's what's happening.

Mostly I just wanted to share. Cool
Rambling Scribe
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've made a start, but I need to go to bed. More tomorrow.

Tempered Skin (Armor)
Description: The black guildsman empowers a piece of burning slow-match which the recipient of this spell must carry. The glowing match seems to light up the recipient's skin, which becomes as hard as steel.

Hand Cannon (Bolt)
Description: The caster takes a handful of gunpowder and a bullet in his fist. When he opens his hand an explosion of force propels the bullet at a target. [as per bolt]
Additional Bullets: The character may fire up to 3 bullets by spending a like amount of Power Points. [as per bolt]
Additional Damage: [as per bolt]

Rum and Gunpowder (Boost Trait)
Description: The black guildsman mixes gunpowder and rum together and empowers it through a brief phrase of blessing. Drinking the mixture increases one of a target’s traits [as per boost trait] Drinking the rum requires an action, but multiple characters may gain the benefits of the same rum. The duration is measured from the time the guildsman empowers the drink.

Spit Fire (Burst)
Description: The black guildsman spits a mouthful of rum mixed with gunpowder (or similar mixture) which ignites onto a cone of flames. [as per burst]

Divert Bullets (Deflection) [note: I'd like to improve this name]
Description: The caster ignites a small handful of gunpowder, generating a wreath of smoke which follows the recipient. With a standard success, the recipient gains +2 to parry and dodge, and 2 armour vs. fire, explosives, and bullets. A raise increases the bonus to +4.

Fire Command (Elemental Manipulation)
[no real change]

Walk through Hell (Environmental Protection)
Description: The caster spends five minutes mixing and applying a special ointment. The recipient gains immunity to any damage from fire, heat, smoke, or even lava.
A success is needed to accomplish the power. With a raise, maintaining the power becomes 1 Power Point per 2 hours. The guildsman can create ointment for multiple targets simultaneously, paying 2 power points per recipient and rolling one black lore die per target plus a single wild die.

Sound and Fury (Fear)
Description: The black guildsman throws a handful of gunpowder which generates showers of sparks, noise and smoke in a large burst. Every creature within the burst must make a spirit check or become shaken and suffer a -1 penalty to all actions for the remainder of the encounter. A natural 1 on the spirit roll causes the target to become panicked as well. Apply -2 to the spirit roll if the caster got a raise. [I'm considering modifying this effect further, possibly by giving a static "guts" score which will be the TN for fear attacks of all kinds]

Last edited by Rambling Scribe on Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Harboe
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful posting existing powers from Savage Worlds.
Describing reflavouring ideas is great, but with the exact same mechanics? I doubt you're supposed to do that.

That being said, it sounds positively awesome! If the game is to be played online, I'd like to volunteer!*

* Or, if you live in Denmark and you're less than two hours travel away, I'll gladly make the trip!
supercOntra
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it. Nice trappings, but as said before, beware copyright issues.
Rambling Scribe
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gone back and edited my post to remove rules details (I hope sufficiently). Sorry if I broke any protocol! Embarassed

Let me know if there's anything else I need to cut. Previously I just copied and pasted my power worksheet I'll be using for the campaign.

Sorry, the game will not be online, and I live in Canada (and I've got a full roster of players). I'll try to post some adventure logs, but we'll see if I have time.

Thanks for the feedback!
jpk
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rambling Scribe wrote:

Divert Bullets (Deflection) [note: I'd like to improve this name]

How about Armor of Smoke or Blacksmoke Armor? Technically not "Armor," but that's certainly a way you could look at it.

Or Shield instead of Armor...Shield of Smoke or Blacksmoke Shield?

Just some thoughts.
Rambling Scribe
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kind of thing I'm thinking of is "disdain bullets" or "total mastery of bullets so they would never dare harm me." But with fewer words. Armour of Smoke certainly conveys the visible trappings, but I want to tag on an attitude thing, especially since the "secret" trapping is that the gunpowder demons are diverting the bullets for you (or for fear of you).

Thanks!
jpk
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about going simple, then, with "Bulletproof."

Since it mechanically applies to everything, though, that's at least a little misleading. Why would "bullets never dare harm me" stop a punch?
ragboy
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great trappings and great guild!

I'd love to see your conversion notes on Savage Tides.
- Rocketship Empires 1936
- Modern Crime campaign notes
- Battlestar Galactica
- Lots o' mooks and villians.
Rambling Scribe
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I'm playing faster than I'm converting currently, so my notes tend to be "Uhhh... I'm gonna use these stats from that creature from this supplement now! Some things are also becoming moot faster than I convert them. Tonight the PCs liberated the "Blue Nixie" mostly just through clever play.

My black guildsman has chosen tempered skin, spit fire, and smoke screen [obscure] as his three powers, and is quite happy with the AB over all, so that's good.

I'll probably have a bit more time tomorrow to write some more up!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: