Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

pages falling out of recent print run of SW:EX
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Hey Pinnacle!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maldroth
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: pages falling out of recent print run of SW:EX Reply with quote

Hello we've been running SW games at our store recently and ordered a batch of rule books to get the rules to people. Both our store owner's copy and another player's have pages falling out of the middle. It's as if the glue didn't adhere to the binding very well and they are coming right off the spine cleanly.

Both people are very careful with their books so I know it's not a matter of mis-use. They also never folded the books open nor creased the spine so that isn't the culprit either.

We have two other books on the shelf and I worry if they may suffer from the same issue. What should we do to help resolve this issue?

I should note I own a copy of SW:EX from the very first print run and it is a very durable sturdy book so I'm surprised at the issues with these.
jasales
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I and my gaming group had the same problem with our 2nd printing SWEX books. Rubber Cement solved the problem.
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From an earlier post...

PEGShane wrote:
Not common, but it happens in about 3% of any print run. We'll replace it. Just email me at PEGShane@gmail.com with your address and we'll take care of it.

Cheers Smile

Shane

www.peginc.com
Maldroth
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Clint I e-mailed him about the books you guys will make some happy gamers
Count Zero
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maldroth wrote:
thanks Clint I e-mailed him about the books you guys will make some happy gamers

Indeed. I gotta say, I've never had better service from a game company before. I had a cracked GM screen way back when and a replacement was sent out the next day, postage paid and no questions asked. Shane always does good by his fans.
cturner
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to throw my comment in here as well.

I have two copies of the SW:EX rules ordered a few days a part from different people on ebay (I'd love to order directly from Studio 2 but the shipping to canada is just to much, which is a different topic all together) and after two weeks I also had pages (3 in one book, 5 in the other) fall out after only light use.

I am usually extremely persnickity with new RPG books and it was weird when the pages fell out and it didn't even phase me. Savage Worlds is just that awesome.

Edit: My bad, only one book has pages falling out, one of the players just put some of the pages into the other book by mistake.
Grey
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to warn you that the same problem is occuring in editions across the Atlantic - I FINALLY got my hands on a copy from my local game store just before Xmas, and the pages are already falling out Crying or Very sad (I assume there is no 'replacement' policy for this far!)

Pity, as I really like the size of the explorers editions

D.
DeMyztikX
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a problem with one of my 5 copies. It got taken care of very quickly. Smoothest replacement ever- at least over the internet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Shrieking Emu
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pages fell out of mine right out of the amazon.com box. I didn't know about the replacement offer, so I took mine to Kinko's and had the covers laminated and the book spiral-bound (I recommend it!) for around $5.
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was an Amazon purchase as well. I ignored it until I saw this. After all, 4 other books were perfect.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Reef
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My copy started falling apart as well, just a few days after purchase this week. Fortunately, I came to check the boards today, and found this message.

Shane responded to my email in less than 2 hours and got the ball rolling. That's some pretty great customer service!

As an aside, I'm a new convert, and that just goes to prove to me that not only do they get my money because it's a great system, they get it because they are a great company. Smile
chugosh
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shrieking Emu wrote:
(8<..), so I took mine to Kinko's and had the covers laminated and the book spiral-bound (I recommend it!) for around $5.

I like that idea. I have a friend who does that with all his books, gaming, church and school, and he is quite satisfoed with the solution. Seems like you could add in whatever else you might think of, like the index and some of the screen pages.

As to books falling apart, mine didn't but I got mine through my FLGS.
Tuesday
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spiral binding makes it hard to add and subtract pages. Cerlox is easier, but still not easy - honestly, if you want to "edit" the book, you're best either doing it in advance or getting it 3-hole-bound.
TCGames
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm new to these forums (hello everyone), and I've had my copy of the Explorer's edition rules for a bit now and so far the pages are all still intact.

No problems yet.
PEGShane
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi TCGames,

9,900 of this batch seem fine, but at best guess around 100 books or so got bad glue (or something--we really don't know). No fear though--if you have one of these we'll replace it.

Thanks!

Shane
SJBenoist
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine fell apart. I quickly received a replacement from Studio2 ... which fell apart even quicker.

I had it spiral bound, with clear covers, for about 3$ from Office Max. I actually prefer it this way and am considering having my NE spiral bound. It lays open nicely, and I was able to add pages like the index and the Fantasy races to the back.

Reminds me, I still need to ship my original back to Studio2 ... #1eek1

Edit: To be clear, the NE bind is holding perfectly well, no problems at all. I'm just getting so used to the spiral, and it's so cheap to add Smile
Reef
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received my replacement from Studio 2 (extremely quickly, I might add), and it seems to be rock solid. So, does seem to be a bad subsection as Shane mentioned.
UTSquishy
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine started falling apart shortly after I got it.

Before it could do so completely, I took it to Staples and had it Coil Bound. (I once had a GURPS book comb bound when it started to fall apart and although I liked that it could lay flat, I hated the comb bind.)

I love my SWEX being coil bound so much, that the day I picked up Necessary Evil (EX)—I drove straight to Staples from the FLGS and had it bound that way as well. I will have all my Explorer's Edition Size books bound this way (Future Evernight and Companions I'm looking at you).

The only problem that I had with my SWEX, was page 53.
The punched holes for the binding punched through the copy near the gutter—I had to hop on the forums to find out what it said (Thank you forums!) and then I wrote it on Sticky Note and stuck it to the top of the page. Then While I was at it, I applied all the errata in the same manner.

I ran a game last weekend and when I saw one of the player's book, I was surprised—I had forgotten that they don't come bound that way.

Clicking the image should take you to a large rez version where you can see my sticky note implementation; the trick is to only write on the part that has sticky on it, and then cut it out. I wanted to print things out and then use 3M Scotch Restickable Adhesive Gluestick, but couldn't find it anywhere local. I tried the Elmer's Brand, but it didn't work the same.

Last edited by UTSquishy on Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
leons1701
Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got our Explorer edition and it fell apart in less than a day. Good to hear that this is being taken care of (not that I expected any less really).
Vinzent
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UTSquishy wrote:
Mine started falling apart shortly after I got it.

Before it could do so completely, I took it to Staples and had it Coil Bound. (I once had a GURPS book comb bound when it started to fall apart and although I liked that it could lay flat, I hated the comb bind.)

I love my SWEX being comb bound so much, that the day I picked up Necessary Evil (EX)—I drove straight to Staples from the FLGS and had it bound that way as well. I will have all my Explorer's Edition Size books bound this way (Future Evernight and Companions I'm looking at you).

The only problem that I had with my SWEX, was page 53.
The punched holes for the binding punched through the copy near the gutter—I had to hop on the forums to find out what it said (Thank you forums!) and then I wrote it on Sticky Note and stuck it to the top of the page. Then While I was at it, I applied all the errata in the same manner.

I ran a game last weekend and when I saw one of the player's book, I was surprised—I had forgotten that they don't come bound that way.

Clicking the image should take you to a large rez version where you can see my sticky note implementation; the trick is to only write on the part that has sticky on it, and then cut it out. I wanted to print things out and then use 3M Scotch Restickable Adhesive Gluestick, but couldn't find it anywhere local. I tried the Elmer's Brand, but it didn't work the same.

I had the same problem and did the same thing (except at Kinkos and for once they were polite). I love being able to fold over the book now. I'll be spiral binding any rpg books I get that have similar bindings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Hey Pinnacle! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: