Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Prescience [NE]
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaraldKlak
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the primary change you should make is to make it apply when cards is dealt. This way you avoid situations of, where it is unclear what exactly happens, or where the power is useless (if you are slow).

I think you should stick with an action spend on using the power. Otherwise it might be imbalanced.

If you are going to keep just one of the effects, personally I think the nexus is the most fun (and versatile). But that is of course a consideration of what kind of effect you would like in your game.
Judge Holden
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prescience (10)

Trappings: milky white eyes, far away stare, desert dwelling nomads

Your character has the ability to view the very fabric of time itself as it flows into and around them. Time itself cannot be manipulated, but the most attractive or desirable outcome can be charted and thus made reality. This is sometimes known as the Golden Path.

You may lock your character's course into a particular timestream by concentrating upon that thread and willing it to become reality. When the character does this she may keep whatever action card she has in front of her for as long as she desires. This works for Jokers as well, simply shuffle the deck without replacing the joker. When new cards are dealt the character is dealt a new card and may choose to use this new card, or discard it for the held card.

So I decided to throw out the whole being able to effect others effect because that's not really what the power should do IMHO. I also decided to keep the fact you can keep a joker because thats what makes it an attractive super power.

I decided to up the cost to 10 because, damn you are gonna want to run a character who can see the future if you are willing to waste half your power points on this. Thats probably the thing I'm most worried about, is 10 points too much?

- Dave Foley
Boldfist
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not take the original Edges of Level Headed and Improved Level Headed and go one step further? For every 2 points you spend on Prescience you gain an additional card? So you could spend 20 PPs on Prescience if you wanted and gain an additional 10 Initiative cards. That way you still aren't guaranteed a Joker every round (although chances go WAY up to get one) and you can't steal from someone else. And the Initiative cards would still get reshuffled every time a Joker comes up?
Flashpoint72
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Prescience: great tool for a ... GM Reply with quote

Sure, prescience seems a little bit awkward in game mechanics. As demonstrated before, it can be achieved via edges. However, what the edges do not achieve is being able to "foresee the future" and "act upon it". But, this is something which would fall in the behind the scenes mechanics.

For example, if your character sees a future where she sees her teammates in a fight against a robot in the burbs of Star City, it is their choice to act upon it or not to act upon it. So you have the starter for an adventure, whether they decide to search and destroy the robot (maybe in the burbs, thus fulfilling the prediction) or not (the robot was human in origin and helped somewhat the resistance to gain a surprising victory over the invading force, although the casualties ran high).

Also, the power depends on how much the future is predicable. Is it something which is cast in concrete (whatever happens, the robot will rampage in the burbs), or not (the robot can be stopped, but the consequences are unforseen). In all predictions, one can only see part of the big picture.

Gee! I am starting to feel that this part of the power would cause to the villain grief and sorrow as she feels that what she sees, she will have to live through, with the consequences, in the short or long term. It almost sounds as a hindrance in some regards.
Judge Holden
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boldfist, I never thought of doing it that way. Its an interesting approach, but my initial reaction (subject to change as I mull it over) is that I don't like dealing out mitt-fulls of cards, and I also like the idea of being able to hold a joker for the entire combat. Thats what makes it an attractive super power, IMHO. Otherwise its just Extremely Level Headed (Cold Blooded, Glacial Calm?)

Flashpoint, you bring up an interesting point that is the cornerstone of the power in that its a curse to see the future. What happens when you see all roads leading to a bloody jihad in your name?

But from a games mechanic point of view I've never seen any player, nor as a player myself even wanted to spend points on a power that basically lets the GM railroad you into his next adventure. Spells in some settings allow you a glimpse into the future if the GM is prepared and allows it but what if the GM isn't prepared, or doesn't want you to know? wasted points. I think the 'non crunchy' part should just get hand waved and the character has dreams and such that the GM wants to give them, so I haven't added that aspect to the powers description yet. But I agree, it is definitely part of seeing the future.

- Dave Foley
Boldfist
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judge Holden wrote:
I also like the idea of being able to hold a joker for the entire combat. Thats what makes it an attractive super power, IMHO. Otherwise its just Extremely Level Headed (Cold Blooded, Glacial Calm?)

What will you do if multiple players take the Power? There are only two Jokers in the deck. This would also eliminate the other player's chance of drawing a Joker with Edges like Quick and (Imp) Level Headed too. I just think holding the Joker indefinitely doesn't work very well. It changes too many other Edges/Powers.
Tuesday
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For reasons already stated the first time around AND again here:

SHUFFLE THE JOKER BACK IN.

Even if you're keeping the permanent act-at-will and the permanent +2 to all actions, take the physical card from in front of you and put it back in the physical deck, and shuffle it in. It's actually IMPORTANT that there be two jokers in the deck, for a lot of reasons, and it's incredibly unimportant that you keep the physical card out on your table.

Also: why is it still optional to keep the card in front of you, or not? You're dealt in every round anyway, so there's never a disadvantage to holding your current card and then trashing it if the new card is better. Even if you're holding a joker, get dealt in every round anyway in the hopes of getting a SECOND joker and denying it to an enemy.

As for if it's worth 10 points or not: I think "+2 to all rolls of any sort while in combat and go at will at any point in every round, without anyone having a chance to interrupt you" is a little STRONG for a mere 10 points, so the fact that it's going to take you a few rounds to get that going seems like a decent limiter. And, hey, at least you're not getting that as soon as *anyone* is dealt a joker, any more.
Harboe
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, honestly I was tossing a similar concept around today, based around a diviner.

I just took Awareness and Jinx combined with Alertness and Danger Sense for that whole: "I totally saw that one coming!"-feel.

I don't even feel that (Imp.) Level-Headed is appropriate for a diviner-type, as that represents their active intervention in the stream of time, whereas Awareness [Danger Sense] leaves ones opponent with -4 to hit you, as you're stepping out of his way and anticipating his feints before he thinks to try them.
Judge Holden
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno, I guess I'm not looking at it as 'you always get a joker all the time'. You still have to be dealt the joker. That's still a 1 in 54 chance or so with odds steadily increasing as you go. You keep the card because it's a tangible thing in front of you. "Look! I've got the Joker! muhahaha!" If more than two people take the power the first two people to get jokers get to keep them, the other Prescients have to settle for Aces "damn! I saw that coming..."

I'm not even sure if I'm going to bother writing this one up. There have been a few suggestions that make just as much sense for the effect I was trying to go for. If I'm having this tough a time trying to make it balanced it's probably not worth it, especially if nobody in my game even bothers taking it. If only I had prescience myself so I knew whether it would be a game breaker...

- Dave Foley
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: