Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I like them big and pretty!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Poor Wandering One
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: I like them big and pretty! Reply with quote

Sorry about the thread title. I have 'I like them big and stupid' from Earth Girls are Easy stuck in my head for some reason.

Anyway I am wondering how to change size or charisma via a power. Nothing in SW:EX seems to fit.
size:
Now I know you could get some of the benifits of a size increase via boost vigor & strength but not all of them. I suppose shapechange could do it but I just want to make someone become the size of an elephant not turn them into one. Size change is a classic of fantastic lit (see carroll et. al.) and I am suprised that there is no way to simulate it in sw.

chrisma:
I suppose puppet is kind of close but I am looking for something more like fae glamour that makes you want to help not something that snaps the targets will like like an old dorito.

Any ideas folks? I know there probably size change powers in NE but NE powers don't play so well with the pther powers outside of the superhero setting.
Tavis
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just houserule that Size and Charisma are both Traits and ... Hey Presto! the Boost/Lower Trait power can increase/decrease both Size and Charisma by up to 2.

SWD: 50 Fathoms (GM)
jpk
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Growth/Shrink takes care of exactly what you're after. It's currently available in the Fantasy World Builder's Toolkit and it's also available in the upcoming Fantasy Companion, just before Havoc, another shiny new spell...ooohhhh...

As far as Charisma goes, you could probably just treat it like a Trait if you wanted to let Boost/Lower Trait apply to it, or possibly make a custom Boost/Lower Charisma that only applied to Charisma but offered +2/+4 instead of +1/+2. But that's just my thought.
Poor Wandering One
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool. I can't wait for the companion.

And travis, you just created my house rules. Thank you.
jpk
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that at Size -2, you formally become Small. Check out the creature abilities at the back of SWEX.
Poor Wandering One
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpk wrote:
Remember that at Size -2, you formally become Small. Check out the creature abilities at the back of SWEX.

And with a few casters working together to stack on the boost you can hot GARGANTUAN. We'll show that pesky David! Wink
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just be careful about making Charisma a general Trait to affect since a +1/+2 to Charisma is more powerful than increasing both Persuasion and Streetwise one die type or two, which would take two castings of the spell.

www.peginc.com
Poor Wandering One
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clint wrote:
Just be careful about making Charisma a general Trait to affect since a +1/+2 to Charisma is more powerful than increasing both Persuasion and Streetwise one die type or two, which would take two castings of the spell.

Hmmm I was wondering about this. I'' need to come up with a work around. Perhaps a simple 'Boost: Persuasion' could do it.

Do any of you folks see any issues with raising/lowering size? Would 'Lower: Size' be overly effective against human sized opponents?
Just musing here but how small can you get and still use a sword? A Rifle? A Flamethrower?
This could use some thought. Perhaps limiting it to growth only ? Oh well I suppose I can just let the players run with it and see how interesting the damage is.
Smile
jamused
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A simple work-around would be to make Boost: Charisma only do +1 if you get a raise, and otherwise have no mechanical effect, though it still could be treated as a cosmetic effect.

A slightly more complex work-around would be to have Boost: Charisma add 0.5 on a success, and +1 on a raise. Adding .5 to a die would be treated as adding +1 to the result only if the die comes up odd. (A d4 would thus roll 2, 2, 4, 4. A d6 would be 2, 2, 4, 4, 6, 6). It makes it a little lumpy, but it increases the expected value by exactly 0.5. If you do this, btw, don't treat it as an Ace unless you roll a natural 4, 6, etc.
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor Wandering One wrote:
Hmmm I was wondering about this. I'' need to come up with a work around. Perhaps a simple 'Boost: Persuasion' could do it.

It definitely could, or you could just change the power based on that trapping.

For instance, Charisma adjusts Persuasion and Streetwise, so the trapping for Boost/Lower Trait could be...

Only affects Persuasion and Streetwise, but affects both Traits with one casting. Heck, with that kind of limitation, you could probably even extend the duration, so it could be more effective in non-combat situations.

Hmm, I'd probably change the base cost to 3 PPs, but you could make the duration 5 minutes (1/minute) or something like that.

Now, it is still limited to short-term uses of the skills (no pounding the pavement with Streetwise boosted all night), but a certain amount of balancing that effect will depend on the specific game, players, and characters.

Anyway, an option to consider.

www.peginc.com
jamused
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the Lower Size, if you made it also shrink their weapons but not reduce the damage, I think it would be fairly balanced. At least, it's not immediately obvious to me that the Toughness (and Pace?) penalty is much worse than the bonus/penalty they get to hit/for people to hit them.
MadTinkerer
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came up with a Glamour power that represented both "fairy glamour" and the more general meaning. It basically gave you Attractive (and negated Ugly as well as any scars) on a success and Very Attractive on a raise, but didn't stack with the Edges of the same name.

It's a bit setting-specific, though.

Check out Mad Tinkerer Dot Org!
Poor Wandering One
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clint wrote:

Only affects Persuasion and Streetwise, but affects both Traits with one
Now, it is still limited to short-term uses of the skills (no pounding the pavement with Streetwise boosted all night), but a certain amount of balancing that effect will depend on the specific game, players, and characters.

Anyway, an option to consider.

I really like this. Thank you Clint.

I'm thinking this will work really well. It's not as crude or as reliable as probe but it is much more subtle. This is an excellent power for an enchantress, or a bard, or even our favorite siren of the spacelanes.
in fact a Savage version of a UA dipsomancer cound use this to find a minion of the big bad who imbibes and then to become her/his instant drinking buddy.

Man I love how flexible SW is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: