Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Weird Science in a fantasy setting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Primus Magus
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:47 am    Post subject: Weird Science in a fantasy setting Reply with quote

I want to add weird science into a fantasy setting, as written there is nothing wrong with it, but the name bothers me.

I imagine the gizmos like magical da Vinci devices, or magic items created using “magical geometry and or math” geomancy, feng shui, but so fare the best name for it I could come up with was Thaumaturgy.

So instead of weird science you would have

Arcane Background (Thaumaturgist)
Arcane skill: Thaumaturgy (smarts)

Is this a good name, or does anyone have any better suggestions!?
UmbraLux
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also reflavor it as Alchemy.
Sitting Duck
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another take on Weird Science in a fantasy setting can be seen in Scrapped Princess with that minstrel fellow whose name I can't recall right off.
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about...

Arcane Background (Arcanologist)
Arcane skill: Arcanology (Smarts)

Arcanology would be the actual science of magic. Not how to cast it, but how it works and interacts with the physical world (and objects). So they don't have the ability to cast magic themselves, but they can learn how to build devices that can channel magic (through the use of magic symbols, design, sympathetic magic, and so on).

Hmm, I may have to use that myself. Wink

www.peginc.com
Spongly
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted a thread about just this thing. I'm running a medieval fantasy homebrew which, while set in a fictional world, is meant to be more authentically "medieval" feeling than most fantasy worlds. The main form of magic is called "natural magic" which is what medieval people called the study of what was basically early science with a distinctly weird twist. Basically, a natural magician used the mystical properties of plants, minerals, chemicals, planets, inscriptions, geometry etc.

They believed that objects have hidden or "occult" properties which can be harnessed by the learned. Hence it is also sometimes called "occult philosophy". Basically instead of 'gizmos', these natural magicians in my setting have talismans, potions, and particular items whose occult properties they can invoke - for example a ring carved with prayers and magic symbols that allows you to become invisible, or a type of stone which, when bathed in pure water, glows with an eerie light.

Theurgy means "divine working" and usually involves rituals invoking gods or angels.
Rambling Scribe
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a thought about converting an existing Eberron campaign to Savage Worlds, and using weird science to replicate Artificers. Another fun and similar term from that setting is Magewright. Either could work.
Primus Magus
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.o I cant believe I actually missed Spongly’s thread. The topic said Alchemy, so I didnt think any more about it Embarassed

For me alchemy suggests there are a lot of liquids involved, and that wasn’t what I had in mind.

Btw, great suggestion Clint
ogbendog
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did it as Enchanting. instead of a lilghting gun, it's a lighting wand, etc.

http://www.rpgnow.com/product/119241/Kaisers-Gate-Field-Manual-Mounts
zeth
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is a pet monster tamer. Each power/device is a small creature he keeps in his pocket or summons from thin ir to do his bidding.
Squidfisher
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Track down some of the Order of Reason stuff for White Wolf's excellent Mage: The Sorcerer's Crusade for one of the best presentations of 'technomagick' anywhere, ever. I still pine for the campaign run by a mate of mine a few years back in which a man who built cathedrals according to Sacred Geometry could put the hurt on vampires with naught other than an understanding of God's Great Work and a hammer forged according to the Seven Rigorous Principles of the Master Matthias...
Primus Magus
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine has most of the Sorcerer's Crusade books, guess I’ll just have to borrow them then Twisted Evil
Lord Inar
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AB(Artificer) was mentioned
Skill: Construction
Call devices Gizmos
Best Internet page ever
Demonicuss Krinn
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since someone already mentioned Artificers, another similar style would be borrowing Rifts' concept of the Techno-Wizard (and if he's too high tech for you, the Eco-Wizard or Necromancer could fill the same role) - you build items/weapons/etc that are imbued with magic potential. The Eco Wizard uses living materials (tree bark, bone, animal remains) and the Necromancer uses dead material (less tree bark, more bone, sinew, and remains). Technically all three could be just the same class, just use different trappings.

AB (Techno-Wizard/Bio-Wizard/Necromancer)
Arcane Skill: (Arcane Engineering/Biological Engineering/Necro-Tech)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: