Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Slipstream [spoilers] Questions about plot point campaign

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Official Settings & Companions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mindseye
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:27 am    Post subject: Slipstream [spoilers] Questions about plot point campaign Reply with quote

Okay, I've read through the slipstream book once, and now have some questions, specifically about the plot point campaign. I'm reading through them again, so I'll post more questions as I come to them.

Our group is playing Sundered Skies currently and will be switching off between Slipstream and Skies. Their first instinct when confronted with pirates will be kill them and take their ship. I plan on having the pirate craft break off as soon as Ioptis leaves to remove that option, but at the end of the intro the players are without transportation. They are on Barter, I assume they would be able to arrange transport to Simba or wherever they wanted to go, but there are not prices in the book for transportation rates that I could see. At this point in the campaign, unless they were rich or something, the characters are unlikely to have funds to purchase a ship. What would be reasonable rates to Simba from Barter.

Any ideas?

I am searching for
Someone, Somewhere, but I do
not know who or where
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, if they got the pirate ship, I'd let them have it. I'd of course remind them that it is obviously a pirate ship and will be treated as such by those who see it, but they could potentially sell it to a dealer for parts.

Then they could sell it for 25% or 50% of the cost which would leave them enough to buy a basic shuttle and possibly a weapon for it.

Anyway, for travel prices, I'd probably go with something like 10 slips per person per square of travel for a baseline. And then maybe multiply the price by a positive value of the Slipstream modifier if the stream is crossed in transit (i.e. 4x the cost to cross the Yellow section of the stream).

www.peginc.com
TheLoremaster
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clint wrote:
Personally, if they got the pirate ship, I'd let them have it. I'd of course remind them that it is obviously a pirate ship and will be treated as such by those who see it, but they could potentially sell it to a dealer for parts.

The option we went with was to allow the PC's to give the ship a fresh paint-job during downtime and travel. That way, it doesn't look like the same pirate ship it used to be. They've also traded captured ships for ammo and cargo ... after realizing that the brand new paired rocket guns on their vessel only came with 7 rounds.... Twisted Evil
Mindseye
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clint wrote:

Then they could sell it for 25% or 50% of the cost which would leave them enough to buy a basic shuttle and possibly a weapon for it.

Anyway, for travel prices, I'd probably go with something like 10 slips per person per square of travel for a baseline. And then maybe multiply the price by a positive value of the Slipstream modifier if the stream is crossed in transit (i.e. 4x the cost to cross the Yellow section of the stream).

Thanks Clint, that's exactly the kind of thinking I was looking for. A way to let them have exactly what they can get, without letting them get too much advantage. It does help with the mobility issues in the future.

I am searching for
not know who or where
Sadric
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had seen the same problem, the plot points describe that the shuttle is the ship that the players could use, and I like it this way. So I had to be alert to the risiko that the players aquire some rocket-ship.
But most of the plot points asume the players had acces to a ship.

I played the intro adventure with my 10 year old son (the inventor robotmen) and a friend of him (the human explorer). They really like slipstream. Smile

They kill all extra-pirates and the crystaline leader get away with one wound. They have to rescue the lionmen noble women out of space with the rocketbelt of the robotmen. She throw herself (and a poor pirate) out of the door with a clawed bodyslam. Smile So the pirates have enough time to get away. (I think if you had a pirate at one of the swivel guns of the ship, taking shoots at everyone that try to jump to the pirates ship you should have them escape even against a stronger, experienced group)

Then they make a emergency landing on the nameless planet, but I change the rockmen with a old ruined towerlike city. I get inspired by the free adventure for Hollow earth (the one where a underground ruined town is explored and some ghoullike undeads live at the top).
The weak and small inhabitants had used some predator and "upgrade" them with weird science and some weird crystalls as slave laborer. After the passing trough the balck hole the crystall source was gone, and the
slaves change back to raving, cunning monster. The monster killed all inhabitants and live at the top of the city. We have to brake while exploring the slave pens-but I hope we could play again sometimes after the holiday. Then they have to explore the tempel (I have prepared a handout with a description of the wall pictures inside that tell about the history of the city)

After reaching Barter I had planed one or two simple jobs with arranged travels. (The human explorer missunderstood something on his character sheet and thinked his parents are lost in space and like to find them-and I think to run with it-a friend and business partner of the parents help them).

A other idea was to have the Babelonian plot point (travel to the ice planet) but the babelonian give them acces to a rocket ship and travel with them.
Mindseye
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made to Episode 5 without another questions, but I did wonder about the stats for the Achilles.

I know it's supposed to be slow, but is it really supposed to have an Acc/TS: of 2/4?

I think this has been answered before, but I couldn't find it on the boards. A link to the previous answer would be as good as a new one.

Thanks again.

I am searching for
not know who or where
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindseye wrote:
I know it's supposed to be slow, but is it really supposed to have an Acc/TS: of 2/4?

I think this has been answered before, but I couldn't find it on the boards. A link to the previous answer would be as good as a new one.

Actually, that was a question about the Valkyrian ship, not Achilles. Looks like it had the same issue of having the "0" dropped, so it should be 20/40.

www.peginc.com
Mindseye
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On to episode 7

When escaping the lab, the description mentions using the escape tubes that are marked on the map--except they aren't marked on the map. Any clue where these should be?

edit:
Whoops, never mind me, I found the answer in this tread

http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20871

I am searching for
not know who or where
Mindseye
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a question about a missing map in Episode 9, but it had already been asked in the official errata thread, just not answered. I'll link to it.

http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=225959#225959

Needing a map of the plasma floor on Quan. Or at least dimensions of the room and a number of trapped squares.

I am searching for
not know who or where
Mindseye
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Came up with a new question.

In episode 4, when the spider-men capture the player characters is bugging me. I remember Evernight, there was a similar scene where the heroes WILL be captured. It frustrated me as a player, but I seem to remember our gm let it go a couple of rounds, then just did the rest by narrative (ie, you fight bravely, but eventually fall to them. You wake up in . . . )

I'm not sure how to subtly let the player's know the fight is hopeless but the situation is not.

Alternatively, how would one play around the capture, maybe have them search and find the cavern on their own, then have it proceed from the point they meet the pilot in there.

I am searching for
not know who or where
TheLoremaster
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindseye wrote:
how would one play around the capture, maybe have them search and find the cavern on their own, then have it proceed from the point they meet the pilot in there.

Haven't gotten to that point in the campaign, but from reading the Episode, it looks like you could just cut out the actual fight. Instead of the PC's landing, investigating the ship, being overpowered and taken into a cave, have the ground below the ship crumble as they land, dropping the ship into the cave. Then the scenario becomes rescue Rezzal AND repair the ship damaged by the fall, instead of freeing themselves and rescuing Rezzal.
Tuesday
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm not sure how to subtly let the player's know the fight is hopeless but the situation is not.

Remind them that Indiana Jones gets captured an average of three times per movie? And let's not even talk about James Bond or, more pointedly, Buck Rogers.

Being captured by the enemy and taken to their secret lair is *part and parcel of the genre*.
zod
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuesday wrote:
Being captured by the enemy and taken to their secret lair is *part and parcel of the genre*.

Indeed. Consider Triple Ace's pulp rule of giving a benny to each of the players when they (not their character) allow themselves to be captured.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Official Settings & Companions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: