Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Savage Heavy Gear

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Prisma
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:53 am    Post subject: Savage Heavy Gear Reply with quote

Hi,

I wrote a conversion of Heavy Gear to Savage Worlds Rules. If I understand the forum rules correctly, one is not allowed to post this kind of homebrew here. So, if anyone wants to see/play it, write me please.

EDIT: Okay, here is a rapidshare download-link. (Hm... could work only 10 times (rapidshare???), but I can then post a new link.)
It's a pdf-file, about 4 MB big, 28 pages, layouted and with illustrations (provided for the conversion by a friend).

EDIT 2: Here is another download link. This should work more than 10 times.

Last edited by Prisma on Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:22 pm; edited 3 times in total
Sitting Duck
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have it up on a web site or a blog, it's permissible to post a link to it here.
Primus Magus
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if mechas arenít from a tactical point of view, practical.
Heavy Gear still managed to present the setting as ďhard scienceĒ, and Iím saying this in a good way. I just love the selling point of the game: Basic Premise: human colonies caught in interstellar war; "Tom Clancy's Mecha" (this is what it says on dp9 web page Smile )
Prisma
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sitting Duck wrote:
If you have it up on a web site or a blog, it's permissible to post a link to it here.

Thanks for the info. Smile

Does a rapidshare link count?

(There is another, more complex possibility:
Last year I posted the pdf-document on a german RPG-website called "Fundus Ludi" - click here. It is possible to download it from there, but sadly one has to register to their forum first, to be able to download. So it could be a little tricky, when one don't understand the language. But if you follow the link, you can see the coverpic of the conversion, even zoom in. The conversion itsself is - of course - written in english.)
Prisma
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Primus Magus wrote:
Even if mechas arenít from a tactical point of view, practical.

Don't worry.. I have all the toys in there... Mechas (Gears/Frames/Striders), Ground Vehicles, Aircraft, Landships. Very Happy
Eisenmann
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very interested in this. I really enjoy SILCORE as a system but never really felt comfortable with Mecha combat in the game.
Primus Magus
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donít get me wrong, I love the Heavy Gear setting, especially their ďrealistic MechasĒ.

I think HG would work nicely with one of my favorite aspects of SW, youíre either active in battle, shaken, or dead.

Personally, I think itís important to handle Gears as hybrid armor/vehicles.
Lord Lance
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very curious to see your work, Prisma. Please, post a link to download it.

PS: as you can see, there are a lot of homebrew conversions of "official" settings. I think no-one wants to damage other systems and publisers with those type of works:
http://www.savageheroes.com/conversions.htm
Actually, I think this kind of Fan works is a honest love declaration for a setting, so, keep on writing and Savaging!
Prisma
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. I just placed a download link at the top of the thread.
Lord Lance
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here a cuple of personal notes (my 2 cents, as ever):
Exclamation Maybe the vibroblade should have high AP (like 4), and not a d6 damage extra.
Exclamation You should explain what is that 1-2d10 damage for the sniper laser rifle.
Exclamation Haywire: you should use a mechanic like the stun power, not give a free K.O. after the hit.
Exclamation Why 3 toughness in the vehicles?? This is not too Savaged. You shouldn't need this one, the penalties that come with the "wounds" are already big. The combat is already quite lethal and fast as is.
Exclamation Nice the image for the cover! Cool Cool However, if you "shrink" the DPI of the images to a lighter 96DPI, with a software like "gimp" or "photoshop" you could obtain a 2 MB file, much "user friendly".
Prisma
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your notes, I put them into consideration. Smile

Lord Lance wrote:

Exclamation You should explain what is that 1-2d10 damage for the sniper laser rifle.

Yes, apperantly this is unclear. The sniper laser damage is 2d10, but the gunner can decide to power down to 1d10 (Damage: 1 or 2 d10).

Lord Lance wrote:

Exclamation Why 3 toughness in the vehicles?? This is not too Savaged. You shouldn't need this one, the penalties that come with the "wounds" are already big. The combat is already quite lethal and fast as is.

The conversion was build with the Savage Worlds Revised Edition only. Armored vehicles have 3 toughness scores (front/sides/back). I (and my group) liked that very much. Flanking maneuvers (like in the original game) are rewarding.

Lord Lance wrote:

Exclamation Nice the image for the cover! Cool Cool However, if you "shrink" the DPI of the images to a lighter 96DPI, with a software like "gimp" or "photoshop" you could obtain a 2 MB file, much "user friendly".

Thanks! Very Happy
And thank you very much for the DPI hint. I'll try that.
Lord Lance
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, you need only to insert some note for the laser and the front/side/rear armor (it's not a bad idea, just i didn't catch it without explanations...)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: