Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[DLR] Huckster Poker Game Duel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fastidious Monk
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject: [DLR] Huckster Poker Game Duel Reply with quote

The Huckster in my group has to win an item back from another Huckster in a poker game. I didn't want to just do opposed gambling checks so I was thinking of running it as a duel. Instead of a Test of Wills check, I was going to make that part of it an opposed gambling check and go from there.

The damage would not be real, of course, but maybe a measure of how well the winner did. I kicked around a few ideas on how to include power points, but am not sure if it would be worth it since it is a poker game.

Any thoughts or more ideas?

Thanks

"If a man builds a machine and that machine conspires with another machine built by another man, are those two men conspiring?" - The Accountant
R2Q2
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not making a real huckster duel? Twisted Evil
But for the poker game, just simply replace the Shooting skill by Gambling if you want to use the duel rules. And do not forget to draw one extra card for the Dealer's Choise Edg.
R2Q2
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking last evening about how to make a spectacular, but still an easy to rule poker game. I came up with the following idea. Itís a combination of the Mass Battle and the duel rules.
This idea simulates more than one poker round during their contest.
The huckster and the hero get both ten tokens (representing the money). After that you use the duel rules and the winner gets a token for each hand better. The Shooting skill is replaced by Gambling, and is now an opposed roll. The winner draws one additional card with a success and another with a Raise (there is only a -2 penalty for loosing the test of wills possible).
Edges like Card Sharp, or Dealerís Choise should have an impact during the poker game.
Now the magic: I see no reason why not to use some nasty spells for a poker game. (Trinket is a very effective poker game spell.)
Here are my thoughts; they still need a little work.
One possible option might be by just giving each one the option to cast a spell and using the rules und PP cost as described under Mass Battles. The other idea is by just replacing a skill roll with Spellcasting. So Fear could be used instead of Taunt or Overawe. Last but not least, if one of them wants to use a spell, just give him a -2 penalty for the Gambling roll.
So thatís it. Hope it helps a little bit.
Fastidious Monk
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the ideas. I like the Mass Battle angle.

"If a man builds a machine and that machine conspires with another machine built by another man, are those two men conspiring?" - The Accountant
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: