Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[HoE] Jo's story in the Wasted West book

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sheriff Axly
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: [HoE] Jo's story in the Wasted West book Reply with quote

Jo's shares a lot of stuff on her death bed. (Yeah, she doesn't die, but she thought she was a goner.) She covers two things that I have questions about.

She talks about Helltown, but I don't think it's mentioned what state it's in, and it's not on the map. The Marshal's section of the book also fails to say where it's at. So, where is Helltown? It's obviously a take on the town of Lago in Clint Eastwood's High Plains Drifter.

The other interesting thing Jo talks about is the Mason-Dixon Wall. She says everyone kinda knows when it was built, but no one really remembers it being built. And she says there's something odd about all that. Then, in the Marshal's section, there's no mention at all about the Wall, wierd, normal, or otherwise. Is it discussed in any other book or reference? Does anyone have their own take on it they want to share?

Thanks!
Rich

Promote the gaming industry! Whatever it takes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Fuzyfeet
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: [HoE] Jo's story in the Wasted West book Reply with quote

Sheriff Axly wrote:
She talks about Helltown, but I don't think it's mentioned what state it's in, and it's not on the map. The Marshal's section of the book also fails to say where it's at. So, where is Helltown? It's obviously a take on the town of Lago in Clint Eastwood's High Plains Drifter.

For some reason I never noticed that, and in my head it was in Montana, but after rereading that it there is nothing to base my old assumption on...

Sheriff Axly wrote:
The other interesting thing Jo talks about is the Mason-Dixon Wall. She says everyone kinda knows when it was built, but no one really remembers it being built. And she says there's something odd about all that. Then, in the Marshal's section, there's no mention at all about the Wall, wierd, normal, or otherwise. Is it discussed in any other book or reference? Does anyone have their own take on it they want to share?

Don't remember if Shane ever said it directly but the official reason (as told by Holper, Geoff and others) is the events of the Weird West are still flowing and they don't what to cement anything too much because it is the heroes that determent the West's final out come.

That was probably really wordy or came out wrong, I'm sure Clint will clear it up or say it better, but that's then gist of it. So anything that looks too far back gets hazy in people's minds because of that.

Just my $0.02

My Deadlands sites
The Lynchburg Journal
The Junkyard Intranet
The Temptation Reportl
Cutter XXIII
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: [HoE] Jo's story in the Wasted West book Reply with quote

Sheriff Axly wrote:
She talks about Helltown, but I don't think it's mentioned what state it's in, and it's not on the map.

Check Lost Angels, pp. 11, 83. "Helltown’s a dying little boomtown in western Nevada..."
Sheriff Axly
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Cutter! Although, that's going to be a different Helltown. That Helltown is a boomtown in the Weird West, and the one I'm referring to is a survivor community in the Wasted West.

The one you mention is in Nevada, and the one in Hell on Earth is somewhere in the High Plains area.

Promote the gaming industry! Whatever it takes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
oss1ncrp
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:28 am    Post subject: Re: [HoE] Jo's story in the Wasted West book Reply with quote

Sheriff Axly wrote:

The other interesting thing Jo talks about is the Mason-Dixon Wall. She says everyone kinda knows when it was built, but no one really remembers it being built. And she says there's something odd about all that. Then, in the Marshal's section, there's no mention at all about the Wall, wierd, normal, or otherwise. Is it discussed in any other book or reference?

Far as I know, there is no other mention of it. I think it is left open as one of those GM things you can play with. The idea is that everyone knows its there when you see it, but doesn't remember it when they are not around it.

Best I understand.

Savage Jack
Shawn
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I handle the Mason-Dixon Wall is draw a line between the Northern and Southern states. No one does remember it being built mostly because it went up 90 years ago (assuming you are playing in 2094) and most of the people who would remember it are dead. Now, I play off the fact that the Wall would have been at the center of a LOT of ground fighting during the Last War. When my PCs find sections of the Wall its generally got a battlefield on both sides of it and is in pretty bad condition. I also ruled that west of Texas it was just a double security fence (like at a State Prison) and so most of it is shredded and tangled chainlink.
Edivdrone
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: [HoE] Jo's story in the Wasted West book Reply with quote

Sheriff Axly wrote:

Try looking in Road Warriors on page 28. It says that Helltown is in Montana(though you have to read a couple of lines in the previous sections to really get that).

Sheriff Axly wrote:

Beyond what Shawn has already said, I think not mentioning it was deliberate. Beyond the fact that there isn't much left of it, History has Been Tampered With. Stone caused a lot of things to go haywire, and the staff of Peginc. also deliberately left the timeline and outcome of a number of things out in the open on purpose. This is to allow Marshals of the Weird West to play right into the Wasted West if they should so choose, with their posses influencing these events.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: