Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New race: Shades

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SlasherEpoch
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:54 am    Post subject: New race: Shades Reply with quote

For my homebrew setting and masterwork Wink "Bullets and Brimstone," I have created the following race: The Shades.

The first Shades were Humans who decided to forgo judgment in the afterlife for a few more years with a mortal coil. Since ancient times, the Shades have been second-class citizens, forced into slavery and terrible living conditions. In modern times, things aren't much better; Shades get the jobs nobody else wants and the housing nobody else will touch.

However, having had a brush with death has a few benefits...

Tough: Shades have endured a lot. They start with a d6 in Vigor.
Resilient: +2 to resist fatigue from exhaustion, heat, and cold. +2 to resist poison and disease.

...and being kicked to the ground for thousands of years has a few disadvantages.

Broken: Shades have limited willpower. They need 2 points to increase their Spirit at character creation and two levelups thereafter to increase Spirit.
Outsiders: The cultural prejudice against Shades is extremely widespread.

Evil Wig Enterprises Minion #15 - "The
Machete"
nonefornic
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: New race: Shades Reply with quote

SlasherEpoch wrote:
...and being kicked to the ground for thousands of years has a few disadvantages.

Broken: Shades have limited willpower. They need 2 points to increase their Spirit at character creation and two levelups thereafter to increase Spirit.

Seems a bit harsh (or I'm a bit rusty Embarassed ) and over complicated a disadvantage. Perhaps giving them -2 on Spirit all the time is better?

"Bullets and Brimestone"... title sounds interesting and the shades background seems groovie. Care to tell a little more about it?
Lord Ben
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, d6 vigor is basically the same as a human getting a freebie only they put it in vigor automatically.
And the +2 to a few things in now way balances out the penalties to spirit.

Maybe if they started with a d10 vigor... maybe... Spirit is far too important though.
SlasherEpoch
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: New race: Shades Reply with quote

nonefornic wrote:
SlasherEpoch wrote:

Seems a bit harsh (or I'm a bit rusty Embarassed ) and over complicated a disadvantage. Perhaps giving them -2 on Spirit all the time is better?

"Bullets and Brimestone"... title sounds interesting and the shades background seems groovie. Care to tell a little more about it?

Limited attributes are actually pretty common in a lot of settings, and it's never seemed too complex to me.

Lord Ben wrote:
And the +2 to a few things in now way balances out the penalties to spirit.

Maybe if they started with a d10 vigor... maybe... Spirit is far too important though.

d10 Vigor!? I know Spirit's important, but wow. That means a starting character needs to spend a single point to be as tough as a mortal can be.

+2 to resist disease and poison will come up in the setting a lot, I felt that balanced things out a little bit. Shade gang members commonly mix chemicals together to make gas bombs, knowing they can resist the noxious fumes better than most; a race that can adjust its tactics based on physical abilities is interesting to me.

It's why Angels and Demons both developed individual martial arts forms in this setting Wink.

Anyway, that's the kind of feedback I'm after.

What if Shades had Nerves of Steel? I am going for the idea that Shades are physically very tough but easily pushed around and just beaten into the ground as a people.

Machete"
dentris
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nerves of Steel is only useful to Wild Cards, not extras. It's not a big deal, but it must be taken into consideration. Maybe they could reduce fatigue penalty by one instead.
Lord Ben
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I run a game with firearms spirit is the most commonly rolled attribute out of all of them because I consistently use covering fire rules. So I guess there is no way I'd ever take the race as is...

I'd need something super enticing to know that I'll be a giant bullet sponge.
SlasherEpoch
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Ben wrote:
When I run a game with firearms spirit is the most commonly rolled attribute out of all of them because I consistently use covering fire rules. So I guess there is no way I'd ever take the race as is...

I'd need something super enticing to know that I'll be a giant bullet sponge.

Well, that's what we have cover for...even going prone provides +2 to your roll to resist suppressive fire.

The Shades have a few interesting racial Edges that might entice people. Their Edges enhance their ability to avoid death, either by being tough or appearing inconspicuous. One of their Edges lets them change a mortal wound to immediately being Incapacitated instead...once.

What if they had a +1 bonus to soak Wounds?

Machete"
SlasherEpoch
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dentris wrote:
Nerves of Steel is only useful to Wild Cards, not extras. It's not a big deal, but it must be taken into consideration. Maybe they could reduce fatigue penalty by one instead.

Thought of that at one time, however, Extras are also unlikely to be affected by Fatigue. They are more likely to be affected by say bullets and swords. Besides Shades can resist Fatigue from a lot of common sources anyway, so if they can resist it and are immune to some of it...eh.

I am also just okay in general with a race whose heroes are more advantaged than the rest of them. Besides, resisting Wound penalties would help solve that problem of recovering from Shaken.

Machete"
Lord Ben
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You still catch a bullet if your 1d4 comes up on a 1 regardless of the wild die or modifiers. So 1/4th chance of catching one. My biggest campaign was WWII where you'd frequently have 6-10 OrcSS using suppressive fire while another group moved up with grenades and bayonets.... so a d4 spirit would stink. Maybe less so in a non military game though. Just offering my own perspective...

Do you have POTSM? They have some neat abilities for soaking wounds under one of their trees. You basically get a free bennie to use to soak wounds with every time you would be KO'd Maybe make that a racial ability the Shades have the option of taking.
SlasherEpoch
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After some thought, a starting d8 Vigor is probably the way to go.

Machete"
dentris
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if you replace Nerves of Steel by Combat Reflexes.They are used to be in situation where they have to recover from being shaken without being to much at a disadvantage considering their lower spirit. Just a thought.
SlasherEpoch
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dentris wrote:
What if you replace Nerves of Steel by Combat Reflexes.They are used to be in situation where they have to recover from being shaken without being to much at a disadvantage considering their lower spirit. Just a thought.

Thought of that too. However, you can be Shaken by Tricks, Taunts, Intimidation, and a lot of Fear effects as well...which doesn't jive with the whole "they don't have willpower" thing if you can recover from that.

Then I thought "give them +2 to recover from damaging effects only!" But that was complex.

Nah, I think I'll do just d8 Vigor. It's harder for them to take damage and they resist it better.

Machete"
zeth
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea and would like to hear more of this 'Bullets and Brimstone' idea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: