Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

(DLR) Mad Scientist coming...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Longhorn
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: (DLR) Mad Scientist coming... Reply with quote

Hey, all. I've got a couple (probably) dumb questions on the Mad Scientists.

See, up until now noone in my troupe was interested in playing one, so I never fully read the rules for it. Now a friend is coming down for the holidays and wants to game, so I thought I'd run Deadlands (Probably the Silent Night, Hungry Night one sheet Wink ). He played the d20 version as a Mad Scientist and had some ideas for gadgets, and since I don't have the experience with the Scientists, I was hoping you all might be able to help me.

1- One gadget he was designing was a gauntlet style weapon that has two or three pepperboxes that pop out of it and fire. I'm not sure if this is "weird" enough, or just considered "high-tech" for the time period. And I assume this wouldn't add an armor bonus.

2-Am I to understand that once an device is made (or the power is bought) that a duplicate cannot be made unless the original is lost/destroyed? I could just see this player wanting to make a "ray-gun" or trenchcoat armor for the entire posse. What about consumables, like, say, the heat-seeking bullets mentioned in the book (pg 87)? Since the Power points cost is one, then he can only make twenty at a time and no more until those are used, correct?

3- Multiple powered devises. Can it be done? The reason I ask, is that I've gamed with this guy for years before he moved and I know how he thinks. He has hinted a couple times, playing the d20 version, that he's trying to make a suit of armor similar to the Iron Man suit (similar to the first one you see in the movie, when Stark escapes).

4- The power points recharge at on per hour reguardless, as in a ray-gun cannot have a replacable battery pack, correct? Or with different types of gadget-guns, even if the ammo can be replaced in a matter of minutes (or seconds), that it isn't usable until the power points recharge?

I don't want to say this player is a problem gamer, but he has a way of exploiting loopholes in the rules to his advantage. I'd just like to cover my bases before he gets here.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: (DLR) Mad Scientist coming... Reply with quote

Longhorn wrote:
1- One gadget he was designing was a gauntlet style weapon that has two or three pepperboxes that pop out of it and fire. I'm not sure if this is "weird" enough, or just considered "high-tech" for the time period. And I assume this wouldn't add an armor bonus.

The bolt power.

Does it provide some armor to the hand? Depends on how you and the player define the trappings.

You could say extra PPs cannot be spent to increase damage and it always does 2d6 damage (maybe even give it AP 1), but the "gauntlet" provides some protection to the hand that wears it. It'd only help if a Called Shot was made to hit the hand or the weapon itself, but it'd be there.

Longhorn wrote:
2-Am I to understand that once an device is made (or the power is bought) that a duplicate cannot be made unless the original is lost/destroyed? I could just see this player wanting to make a "ray-gun" or trenchcoat armor for the entire posse.

Yep, each Power is an individual device. If they want a second device of the same kind, they take the New Power Edge for the duplicate power.

However, the Gadgeteer Edge would allow him to make one device per session that can have any power available to a Mad Scientist.

Longhorn wrote:
What about consumables, like, say, the heat-seeking bullets mentioned in the book (pg 87)? Since the Power points cost is one, then he can only make twenty at a time and no more until those are used, correct?

Well, not exactly. He can activate the power 20 times, but how many bullets he has exactly is variable; it's an abstract number.

For instance, once activated, the power automatically last for at least 3 rounds. Say he "gave the bullets" to an ally with a single-action pistol who fanned the hammer for 6 shots per action for three rounds. It only cost 1 PP, but he used "18 heat-seeking bullets."

Only when the scientist is out of PPs is he out of "heat-seeking bullets," but the exact number of bullets he had to begin with is simply "enough until he ran out."

Longhorn wrote:
3- Multiple powered devises. Can it be done? The reason I ask, is that I've gamed with this guy for years before he moved and I know how he thinks. He has hinted a couple times, playing the d20 version, that he's trying to make a suit of armor similar to the Iron Man suit (similar to the first one you see in the movie, when Stark escapes).

You could put multiple powers in the same device. It's a benefit and a drawback (if the device explodes because of a failure of one power, then they are all lost).

Making an actual suit of hard armor is more tricky as the game presumes most of the scientists devices are gadgets not full-on infernal devices. If you as the GM want to implement an option like that, there are some suggestions out there. For instance, the Pulp GM Toolkit has options for permanent items (and also an Edge for duplicating items too). Consider it carefully of course.

Longhorn wrote:
4- The power points recharge at on per hour reguardless, as in a ray-gun cannot have a replacable battery pack, correct? Or with different types of gadget-guns, even if the ammo can be replaced in a matter of minutes (or seconds), that it isn't usable until the power points recharge?

Well, the scientist can take the Rapid Recharge or Improved Rapid Recharge Edges to speed things up, but basically, yes.

Thing is, most mad science devices aren't going to use basic ammunition like any other weapon; they'd have special ammo that the mad scientist has to recreate or reacquire.

Note that is "most" of them. It's possible to work out and design a device that uses normal ammo as part of it's trappings, but the GM just has to balance that benefit out by adding appropriate drawbacks.

Or another option is to simply redefine what "recharging PPs" means. Perhaps a mad science gun does use normal ammo, but because of it's special abilities (bolt power) of multiple shots and "hot loads" (extra damage), the device itself is subject to over-heating. The PPs then represent how much the weapon can be used before it overheats and needs to cool down before it will fire again (regardless of the accessibility of ammunition).

Hope that helps.

www.peginc.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: