Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Weird Fantasy Setting ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you be interrested in a wierd Fantasy setting?
yes
94%
 94%  [ 18 ]
no
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 19

irishvince
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Weird Fantasy Setting ? Reply with quote

Hi, it's my first post here, but I've been ''lurking'' for a while. I've pick up a copy of the SW:EX lately and I immediately wanted to write a setting book for those amazing rules.

I've been working for quite some time on what I can only call a weird fantasy setting. I always was more inspired by setting like planescape or books like Imajica (from Clive barker) than by the generic Tolkien fantasy.

Here's a really really rough outline of some of the ideas, I have so far:

WARNING THERE MIGHT BE SOME TYPOS AND ERRORS ON THIS PART OF THE POST SINCE I JUST COPY/PASTE IT WITHOUT PROOFREAD IT.

The Multiverse

The multiverse consist of a infinite number of Worlds, Planes and Alternate Realities all connected by one central point: Porticulis:The city of Doors. It is only in this city that you can change from one world to an other. This a place of passage for travelers and a place of exile for outlaws.

The Portals

You can find them in any shape, size and form in the city. One might not even notice traveling through one. There is 3 major pattern of portals : Permanent, Blinking and wild.

Permanent portals

These tend to be big and lead to the major worlds of the Multiverse. They often have intricate design and are use by many people. They are always active and always lead to the same place in the same world and most of them are two-ways.

Blinking portals

These portals always in the same place in the city but lead to different places in the Multiverse and are not always active. Some scholar study the pattern of those portals trying to predict where the next blink will lead, but this science in far from exact since most of the portal are one way (countless scientists are just unheard from).

Wild portals

With these anything goes. They can appear anywhere, lead you anywhere and you are lucky if you ever come back to tell about it.

Major world of the Multiverse

Porticulis The city of Doors

This cosmopolitan city sit in the center of everything. Every reality known, imagined and created has a door to and from Porticulis. The city is a chaotic blend of realities of the different planes of living. Everything can be found or lost if you try hard enough in the City. What make the city complex is that nothing is stable: from gravity to time, every part of the city is different. And it’s said around tavern fire that if someone concentrates enough he might be able to make the city obey him. Some say it’s the city of wonder, other the city of lies or the city of thieves, But nobody that ever visited Porticulis can forget the sight of it. From Porticulis someone can reach any reality in the multiverse and the crowd that populate the city is compose of refugee from many different worlds and portals.

Scrapland the land of Iron

The first thing one’s notice when he set foot on this plane is the vast field of Junk that fill the space. One can walk days without seeing the naked ground. It seem like every lost thing find it’s way to Scrapland. It’s the Homeland of the cogkin and the gobber. It’s also where they wage the war that tear apart those two race. The major settlement on The land of Iron are underground. Vast industrial built tunnels and vault serve as shelter. People of this land have learn to use every resources that the junk provide so they are expert salvager and tend to wear and use many weird devices “scrap built” from different things.

ARCADIAS The Lifetree

This plane consist of a single gigantic tree wrap in mist. One cannot see the top nor the roots of the Tree. The denizen of Arcadias have made there home on the branch and around the trunk, building often intricate and complicated structures. This place is Home of the Fayfolk court (home of the fairy queen and king) and is also the land of the simple Treefolk. This plane is somewhat gentle and calm. Aldo the ever watchful spirits of the Lifetree roam…

AETHERIA Elemental Land

This plane consist of a luxurious plethora of archipelago. The people and architecture is reminiscent of the Japanese feudalism era. Big part of these island are just savage. This is the land of the elemental forces, so it’s quite usual to see wild elemental roaming the land. They are often worshiped by the Zenjin. This is also the main place to find Elemental crystal shards. Many crystal mine dot the island and the major settlement have seen there share of Outlander on the “Shardrush”. Some of the best Known sorcerer have Tower and School in the Elemental Lands, but the walk to get there is sometime quite deadly.

Major Races of the Multiverse
(NOTE: Aldo you can choose to play with the classical fantasy races an effort was made to break the mold of the classic Elves, dwarf, Human, etc.. race choice)

SCRAPLAND (land of Iron)

* Cogkin: This a race of small folk ( a mix of Dwarf, gnome and halfling) that are Mechanical inclined. They are inventive and tend to get there way around those big Mechanical golem, construct and apparatus. They are often good engineer and love to create new stuff. But many of them tend to lack the social skill, so they often favor the company of machine over men..

* Gobber: They are the distant relative of the cogkin. They have more of a goblinoid look (goblin, kobolt, gremlin and the like). The major difference between the cogkin and the gobber is that where one constructs the other one destructs. The Gobber are master in the art of blowing stuff out and of tearing thing to pieces. There are also good salvagers and some are decent merchants (they have to make a profit of the stuff they break) (Think of the Goblin in Labyrinth or of the Gremlins)

ARCADIAS( The Lifetree)

* Fayfolk:They are the fairy from the tales (more from Grimm tales than from Disney one). Coming in many shape and form. They are keeper of the great Lifetree and of nature in any form. They are often prankster, and tend to sing, dance and drink a lot. They tend to have an optimistic way of getting through life in general.

* Treefolk:They are a breed of intelligent talking tree critter from squirrel, to opossum to raccoon and koala) they evolved so they can use tools (sword and the like ...) . They tend to be good salvager and thief. They are a very individualist race except for family ties.

AETHERIA (Elemental Land)

Zenjin: We can categorize the zenjin in 4 subracial group. Each of these group is link to one of the prima element. The Zenjin social structure is close to the Medieval Feudal Japan. The only major difference is instead of prioritizing a swordyelding warrior class (the Samourai) it's a Elemental magic shardyelding one.

* Air Zenjin: the air zenjin then to have fair skin ranging from bluish white to light tan and they have pale grayish eyes. Their hair is almost always white and its traditional to keep it in long flowing braids. The Air zenjin are the tallest of all the zenjin ranging from 6’ to 7’5’’. They are all slender built.

* Earth Zenjin: they are the strongest of the zenjin. They tend to have dark skin from ebony black to dark reddish browns. They have dark eyes too from black to hazelnut brown. They have little to no body hair. They then toward ritualistic marking (Branding, Scarring). They are small but powerfully built ranging from 4’5’’ to 5’10’’.

* Fire Zenjin: the color of their skin range from fiery red to light orange, it’s the same thing for their hair. They always have black eyes with no visible white in it. They are mostly average height and built. One strange thing about their skin is that when they age the color tend to change making intricate design of red fire.

* Water Zenjin: they have blue skin ranging from greenish aqua to royal blue. Instead of hair they have tiny intricate fin that spike their head. They are smaller than the air Zenjin but are still tall ranging from 5’6’’ to 6’9’’. They have webbed feet and hand and sometime they also have webbed arms.

Many many other races live in the diversified Metropolis of Porticulis, so the players can get wild and invent weird new races. As always the GM is the last judge of the validity of them.

Magic in the Multiverse

How Magic Works:

Magic in the Multiverse is a natural force coming from the raw elemental power. This raw elemental power is store in special crystal that can be found in the caves of the Land of Aetheria. These crystal are extract by crystal miner and shard of them are sold. But only one attuned with the arcane can harvest their true power.

In order to cast spells the “Mancer” must have a shard with enough elemental power of the right element (Water,Earth,Fire and Air). One can try to tap on the elemental force of the land alone but this is an arduous and exhausting task.

Shards are often molten and transform into beautiful and useful object by the Shardsmith (the fifth kind of magic user). These object are often usable by “Non-Mancer” thus creating magical artifacts. "Mancer" often carry their shard in Smithen form (Staffs, wands, rings, Amulets,daggers, etc.)

Particulary powerfull Shard can make the casting of powerful spell easier (lowering the casting difficulty). Legend often speak of forgotten shard of Positive or negative energy capable of making worlds bloom or decay.

And some of ideas of the different professional Edges:
Engineer
Cog and screws workers

* Operating,repairing and designing, Mechanical construct and gimmicks.
* Lore of ancient and new mechanical inventions
* Never knowing why there’s always a screw left

Scavenger
Recycling masters

* Find anything in piles of junk
* Jury-rigging things
* Making friend with rats
Pistoleer
Elemental gunslinger

* Gunplay and duel skills
* Lesser elemental Arcane lore
* Etiquette and ''Savoir-vivre''
* Knightly charm that make virgin blush

Dragoneer
Fire crackers and demolisher

* Blowing thing into little pieces
* Making fire and handling gun powder
* Knowledge of siege weapon
* Knowledge of castle weak points
* Smelling like BBQ
Headhunter
Bounty collectors

* Tracking and bringing back felons
* Knowledge of criminal life and hangout
* Looking bad ass in leather

DeathTalker
Spirit and undead confessor

* Communicate with Spirit and Undead
* Turn Evil spirit
* Exorcise and control dead
* Spook the hell out of everyone

Sorry for that rather lengthy post, but I'm wondering if any of you SW fan would like to have a setting like that to play in ?
Lord Inar
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always great to see new Savages just jump right in!

As to creating new races, (i.e. making them balanced with abilities, etc.) I highly recommend getting Slipstream (or at least the Player's Guide) as it is a pulp SF setting, which may have quite a few parallels and an absolutely killer race creation system.

Welcome to the group!
Best Internet page ever
irishvince
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lord Inar.

I've been thinking about incorporating Slipstream Race creation system in my setting, but my main issue right now is: I don't know if I just want to write a Fan License setting book or if I want to try to get a License to sell it as a .Pdf with a Print on Purchase option.

So i don't know how much of the stuff from other settings I could incorporate without it being a copyright issue.
Lord Inar
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are just building races and then presenting them, I don't see it as being a problem at all, since there's nothing specific once a race is created that makes it Slipstream specific. I guess you could say that you used that system to create them, to provide proper credit.

I'm no legal person however, so don't quote me!
Best Internet page ever
irishvince
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where i'm affraid it could be a problem is if I include the rules for Race creation (either from the toolkit or Slipstream). Which could be a good idea since in a multiverse there's obviously more than the normal amount of races you can put in a book and it would give the option for ambitious players to create a truly unique character.
Lord Inar
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, sorry, I missed your point. That I certainly do not know how you would handle it.
Best Internet page ever
Lord Lance
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

irishvince wrote:
... if I include the rules for Race creation ... give the option for ambitious players to create a truly unique character.

A multiverse setting like yours (indeed, quite similar idea to OVA RpG base setting) shouldn't be a "generic-do-what-you-want-because-there-are-infinite-planes" system, or you'll finish to reduce your "big world" to a "ehi, another true generic setting": so you can simply end with a sort of collection/mixing of pulp-scifi-fantasy-runepunk setting... But this is already done! Simply, you need to buy the scifi, fantasy, and runepunk books, and give'em to yout players, telling "here, mix up what do you want!" ^______^

Sorry for my wobbly english...
irishvince
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A multiverse setting like yours (indeed, quite similar idea to OVA RpG base setting) shouldn't be a "generic-do-what-you-want-because-there-are-infinite-planes"

This is not my intention Lance, I just want to offer a racial diversity. I'll be working hard to give a distinct feel to this setting. Most of the story (read plot point) will be based on the city of Porticulis and the fact that it is a a waypoint in between worlds. Given the unstable nature of portals, they will be solely used as plot device by the GM.

I will work more on it and post bits and pieces from time to time. Of course, if anyone want to pitch in some ideas, they are welcome. (Don't worry if it ever end up in the final book credit will be given.)

I intend on fleshing out a complete book including a plot point campaign.
supercOntra
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't intend to make money from it just write a note that you need the slipstream book to create races.
razorwise
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

irishvince wrote:
Quote:
A multiverse setting like yours (indeed, quite similar idea to OVA RpG base setting) shouldn't be a "generic-do-what-you-want-because-there-are-infinite-planes"

This is not my intention Lance, I just want to offer a racial diversity. I'll be working hard to give a distinct feel to this setting. Most of the story (read plot point) will be based on the city of Porticulis and the fact that it is a a waypoint in between worlds. Given the unstable nature of portals, they will be solely used as plot device by the GM.

I will work more on it and post bits and pieces from time to time. Of course, if anyone want to pitch in some ideas, they are welcome. (Don't worry if it ever end up in the final book credit will be given.)

I intend on fleshing out a complete book including a plot point campaign.

Hello!

I might recommend taking a look at RunePunk. It provides a lot of racial diversity, a mixture of magic and technologies (including lost technologies) and is set in ScatterPoint, a massive city (roughly the size of Texas) that is in a quasi-dimensional space. The plot point stretches across the breadth of the city and rules exist for tears in space-time due to the constant runestorms. Keep in mind, as the creator of RunePunk, I may be a bit biased, but I'm sure you'll at least find a bit of inspiration for the direction you're wanting to go.

Regards,

Sean
The Blur is Now on G+
irishvince
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean you preaching to a convert here.

I love Runepunk!
We (My gaming group) are running your wonderful Plot point campaign right now.

Runepunk is one of the main reason I'm now a Savage !
Lord Abaddon of Wormwood
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This setting has the feelings of Amber, Nobilis and Immortal: The Invisible War. Also of course Planescape with a good twist of Myst.

Shall be interesting on how this shapes up, to see if anything new comes forth from the MultiVerse genre.

Keep at it.

Lord Abaddon of Wormwood
razorwise
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

irishvince wrote:
Sean you preaching to a convert here.

I love Runepunk!
We (My gaming group) are running your wonderful Plot point campaign right now.

Runepunk is one of the main reason I'm now a Savage !

Glad to hear it! I hope your gang is enjoying things. I'd invite you, then, to join the Blurs' forums. They just went live a few days ago.

http://www.realityblurs.com/forum

Regards,

Sean
The Blur is Now on G+
zeth
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You ever turn this into a pdf? Great setting idea, hate to see it go poof off the threads eventually.
Tavis
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking that this had more links with Everway than anything else, not that I've ever played Everway, just read the background - I'm one of the few people I've come across that have even heard of it!

SWD: 50 Fathoms (GM)
irishvince
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would definitely have to check into Everway. BTW who's the publisher for it and do you have any link to the background or more info for it ?

I'm still working on the setting guys, I just been Gming more and more with my gaming group so I have less time to work on it. I actually asked some guys on my gaming group to help with the creation of it all. We might take a couple regular gaming night and turn them into Brainstorming and world creation nights.

Also, If you have a crazy Idea for that kind of setting... Feel free to share it with me, I'll be sure to include your name in the credit.

when I'm satisfied with the product I will release it as a Free fan Product pdf.
irishvince
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would definitely have to check into Everway. BTW who's the publisher for it and do you have any link to the background or more info for it ?

I'm still working on the setting guys, I just been Gming more and more with my gaming group so I have less time to work on it. I actually asked some guys on my gaming group to help with the creation of it all. We might take a couple regular gaming night and turn them into Brainstorming and world creation nights.

Also, If you have a crazy Idea for that kind of setting... Feel free to share it with me, I'll be sure to include your name in the credit.

when I'm satisfied with the product I will release it as a Free fan Product pdf.
Tavis
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was made by Wizards of the Coast, though I believe it's out of print now.

SWD: 50 Fathoms (GM)
DerFinsterling
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Completely off-topic:
Irishvince, your avatar is great - where did you get it?
irishvince
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Completely off-topic:
Irishvince, your avatar is great - where did you get it?

I think I google Kobold ... I really dont remember. I know I've seen this picture first in Dragon (or was it Dungeon ) Magazine.

I unfortunately (Shame on Me ! ) don't know the artist.

On another note it's a perfectly cool picture of a drakin for Sundered skies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: