Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Savage Dark Sun

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
quigs
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Savage Dark Sun Reply with quote

I'm running a play by email Dark Sun campaign with Savage Worlds, and have posted some initial conversions here: http://worlds.wikidot.com/spells-magic
here: http://worlds.wikidot.com/edges
and here: http://worlds.wikidot.com/dark-sun-races

My rationale for most of them was to keep the rules changes to a minimum, and only port in the rules I need to maintain the flavour of the setting.

I also picked up the SW Handbook - Perilous Places & Serious Situations from TAG, specifically for its rules on desert survival and trap generation. Although a lot of the other sections will probably get used too.

This is a work in progress so there will be some minor tweeks and changes here and there.
Strickland5
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely a sound looking write up, I've not done any crunching on it but definite looks good.

Aslo I know there was another thread on this subject

... Found it! http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12864
BluSponge
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice! I was inspired over the weekend to dig out my old DS boxed set and my mind has been wandering in conversion territory. It's also good to see an update from the previous (pre-SW release) conversion. Very nice.

BTW, how are half giants working out for you guys? Looking over the DS rule book, I was amazed at how so many of their benefits were balanced by their alignment shifting. So much so I was considering leaving them out of the PC races if I ever ran a SW DS game. There just isn't a mechanic in SW that can substitute that concept. So I'm curious how they have worked in the game you're playing in.

Tom
quigs
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, since SW doesn't use alignments it's a tough call for half-giants. I tried to focus more on their static racial penalties (i.e. they are pretty stupid) from the rulebooks. Giving limited Smarts and Spirit, plus the Clueless hindrance reflects this well I think. Plus they have to pay double for almost all their gear and need more water out in the desert. Those are big hindrances in Dark Sun! In addition, I used the Ogre race from Shaintar as a skeleton for the half-giant where I could.

I used the Fantasy World Builder Toolkit to balance most of the racial abilities with penalties, and tried to only include the important ones in the racial stats. The other abilities that many races got later on I put as racial edges, similar to what Sundered Skies did.

The half-giant was actually not the hardest. The thri-kreen took way longer.
BluSponge
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes sense. However, since so much of the real character of the half giant was wrapped up in that childlike impressionability, I really think it needs to be made a part of the race somehow. Maybe some sort of Single White Female disadvantage that requires them to emulate the most charismatic/enigmatic presence in the group (and lash out terribly if rebuked). Hmmm...

And yes, mechanically I imagine the thri-kreen would have been much tougher. I liked the way you made their inherent (but level based) abilities edges. Good call.

Tom
quigs
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd probably say that was a "Quirk" of the race. It would be easy enough to add that as a racial hindrance I suppose.

Actually, I like that, i reduced the Charisma penalty to -2 and added that as a Quirk.
supercOntra
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this work still in progress?
quigs
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its on hold for now, the group decided they wanted to play Dark Legacies instead so I'm running that right now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: