Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Unholy Reflexes... more than 5 cards?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Ben
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Unholy Reflexes... more than 5 cards? Reply with quote

You can get more than 5 cards with unholy reflexes right?
Lord Ben
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What other powers can? Supernatural Quickness?
Fuzyfeet
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless it states otherwise, the max number of action cards a player can get is 5. I can't remember off the top of my head, but I believe there is a Hex and the Templar power, Celerity, that say you can have up to 6 cards from using those powers.

Supernatural Trait (Quickness) wouldn't let you get more cards, but the way Unholly Reflexes works, I'm not so sure. It doesn't say you get a larger hand, just more draws.

Just my $0.02

My Deadlands sites
The Lynchburg Journal
The Junkyard Intranet
The Temptation Reportl
L3ster
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5186
Evangelos
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to remember from somewhere that the way it works is that you cannot have more than 5 cards without supernatural aid. Supernatural aid (Celerity greater reward, Unholy Reflexes, etc) can give you more than five cards, but a mortal non-magical human is limited to 5.

How accurate that is, I don't know, but that's what I remember. It's how I play things, anyway.
Cthulhu
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the five action card limitation first appeared in Hell On Earth and then was later adopted into the Deadlands: the Weird West Player's Guide.

Supernatural abilities (in Hell On Earth) that broke the 5 card cap typically listed this within the description (like Celerity).

Unholy Reflexes appeared in the Book O' The Dead (for Weird West) but was never brought forward into Wasted West's Cyborgs (and consequently never adjusted for the new rules). The Player's Guide was very near the end of Classic's run and never addressed the issue.

Thinking about it I find it likely that Unholy Reflexes does allow the character to break the 5-card limit.
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unholy Reflexes does give additional cards and can break the 5 card limit (which Supernatural Quickness would not). As noted in the other thread, it doesn't cost any actions, so it's effectively always on.

Level 1 = +1 card
Level 3 = +2 cards
Level 5 = +3 cards

www.peginc.com
oddtail
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clint: working under the assumption that Harrowed powers are a sin (which is how I treat things - Major Sin, specifically, for using most powers except Supernatural Trait, and Mortal Sin for corpse-raising and other deadly and wicked stuff), would it be possible for a Blessed to voluntarily turn Unholy Reflexes off?

You know, just curious.
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oddtail wrote:
Clint: working under the assumption that Harrowed powers are a sin (which is how I treat things - Major Sin, specifically, for using most powers except Supernatural Trait, and Mortal Sin for corpse-raising and other deadly and wicked stuff), would it be possible for a Blessed to voluntarily turn Unholy Reflexes off?

Well, to be honest, I'd never make it a Sin to begin with, but if it were, the decision is basically to make it switchable or not allow it to Blessed at all, since they would be committing a Major Sin every 5 seconds. Surprised

Ultimately, the Marshal made the first ruling to (theoretically) work best with the group's game, so he'd have to do the same with any follow-ups, and that's not something anyone who isn't at the table can make a call on.

Personally, don't really see many Blessed getting the power in the first place; doesn't fit the "background or personality" or seem an "extension" of the character type, but I will grant that it is possible.

www.peginc.com

Last edited by Clint on Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Lord Ben
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see it as one of those generic powers since everyones personality is to do as much in as short a time as possible when they're fighting some servant of the reckoners.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: