Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1,000 Random Encounters!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you really need a Random Encounter Table with 1,000 random encounters?
Yep
43%
 43%  [ 31 ]
Heck No! That's too many.
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
Lord Skudley obviously doesn't have a life outside of gaming!
36%
 36%  [ 26 ]
I like Ham & Cheese Sandwiches
16%
 16%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 72

Author Message
Lord Skudley
Heroic


Joined: 13 Mar 2006
Posts: 1391
Location: The Padded Cell Within My Mind...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:09 am    Post subject: 1,000 Random Encounters!!! Reply with quote

A couple of years ago JGrimm started a Random Encounter Table with the lofty goal of obtaining 1,000 possible options!!!

I liked the idea so much I stole it from him and created this Excel spreadsheet to do just that. So far I have a running list of 527 encounters {many of which have variable options thus effectively supplying approximately 800 possibilities}.

I took all the ideas from his original 100, several from this site {I can no longer find the thread but it was called “The list of Western Clichés"} and some from Johnn Four's "Roleplaying Tips Weekly E-Zine".

I am toying with the idea of making it area specific.

So here I submit 527 Random Encounters:

1 A crashed wagon with a large steamer trunk containing 1 zombie of LaCroix craft
2 4 Men {Horse Thieve(s)} leading 4 horses with assorted brands on their flanks.
3 5 Dusty Cowpoke(s) riding off into the sunset.
4 A burnt out caravan of 2 dead settlers scalpt by injuns.
5 2 sun bleached skeletons half buried just off the path.
6 A wanderin' "crazy" runs up to you, slaps you on the back yelling "TAG!" then runs off.
7 A lone coyote or wolf.
8 8 Cannibal Cultists who want to eat the Posse (Yum!)...
9 A Pony Express Rider thunders past heading west.
10 5 dusty, tangled, tumbleweeds move north in the wind, or are they moving against the wind??? {Tumblebleeds}
11 Scattered across the terrain are various weapons and dead bodies…
12 3 Cultist(s) under cover with black magic.
13 A drunk, robbed and smelling terrible, lying in the road.
14 A single bleached skeleton with an “expensive item” inhadited by 3 gremlin(s)...
15 A Doctor, dusty and weary from covering his rounds to a hermit off in the hills, slowly rides past the Posse in the opposite direction.
16 2 robbery victim(s) tied up and lying on the side of the road.
17 3 Pinkerton(s) armed to the teeth on a mission...
18 A woman, dressed in a tattered white gown, fleeing from wedding. Why is she on the lamb? Does she need help?
19 One Tonic Salesman with 1 type(s) of tonics or pills direct from S&R
20 A Thief looking for traveling “companions”.
21 One healthy detachment of 2 Scouts heading east.
22 4 Local and friendly Indians heading west.
23 A writer for the Tombstone Epitaph who wants to hear the Posse’s strange and unusual stories.
24 4 dead cattle in the middle of the road.
25 A lost 9 year old child, dusty and frightened wanders, cryin' for his mama.
26 A Caravan of 21 covered wagons headed west.
27 A woman, dressed in her finest, looking for lost ring…
28 4 Buffalo Hunters hunting local animals.
29 One US Marshal, tired and dusty, passes in the opposite direction.
30 Werewolf Attack: The full moon peaks in and out of the night's clouds. Off in the distance a lonely howl can be heard, padded footsteps approach from behind. With a vicious growl the wolf pounces…
31 2 Soiled Dove(s) headed for greener pastures.
32 Huckster with 1 random hex to teach.
33 A lone gunslinger, two fingers missing from his right hand, slowly trudges by mumbling about a dark tower…
34 2 Miner(s) leading 1 donkey(s) laden with a myrid of tools and packs passes, laughing joyfully, heading west.
35 1 Saddleburr(s) attach themselves to a Posse member or his/her horse.
36 Storyteller with a random story about a creature in the marshal’s handbook, RVC, or RVCII.
37 6 Union Cavalry Scouts heading south looking for their regement.
38 3 Bandit(s) armed with rifles attempt to ambush the Posse.
39 4 Local and hostile Indians heading south.
40 A woman, riding side-saddle, her face puffy and brused, heads east fleeing from a husband who beats her
41 a lone woman with a frightened child sit on the roadside beside her broken down wagon.
42 Dead caravan scalpt by injuns.
43 Dead carcass of regional large wide animal.
44 A Traveling Merchant, his wares packed soundly on his mule, rides north.
45 3 Ranchers leading a cattle drive of 100 head of cattle.
46 A woman, her face dusty and tear stained, wanders east calling for her lost child.
47 The McNeill Boys.
48 A lone Texas Ranger sitting by a tent, smoking some meat over the coals of his fire.
49 A Wells Fargo Stagecoach with $177.00 local dinero.
50 One healthy platoon of 6 Union soldiers traveling east.
51 A photographer who wants to take the Posse’s picture
52 2 Union Cavalry Scout(s) looking for the nearest town, and information on it...
53 A "Tong" hatchettman looking to redeem his honor.
54 Mad Scientist: A man dressed in a greasy coat meanders south, mummbling under his/her breath...
55 A Wells Fargo Stagecoach heading east.
56 A random horse's side explodes as a prairie tick burst from it…
57 Snake Oil Salesman sells fake junk from the side of his gaudy wagon.
58 A Stagecoach with 3 passenger(s) speeds west.
59 5 Lost Angels wander the tundra...
60 3 men {bank robbers who have just robbed bank from closest town} carring $650.00 in assorted bills and coins.
61 Thunder rumbles off to the north.
62 Local Major Creature Feature
63 Lone, kind, Preacher with helpful abilities…
64 3 travelling loafers, their clothes dusty and threadbare pass by.
65 3 dusty, tangled, tumbleweeds move south in the wind.
66 A Smith and Robards Stagecoach with 1 package(s) trundles east.
67 4 Vampire(s): Ustrel rise from the shadows and stealthily approaches the Posse…
68 3 Bandit(s) armed with pistols in the middle of robbing 3 average folk.
69 One “Huckster” with 4 Tonic(s) from the S&R Catalogue that are half as effective and twice as malfunctional.
70 5 Highwaymen with rifles in an ambush.
71 One wounded detachment of 2 Confederate Scout(s) headed east on foot.
72 One wounded platoon of 6 Confederate Scout(s) headed north on foot and horse.
73 1 dead bodies just off the path...
74 A lone mule wanders the tundra. This animal was obviously owned and trained by someone, but who?
75 4 Gang Members with rifles and a pistol backup with 1 Gang Leader.
76 A Texas Ranger with 2 posse members heading north.
77 A fast Shootist with a chip on his shoulder, ready and willing to fight at any percieved slight…
78 7 Local, and subtly hostile, Indians traveling on horse...
79 6 Dead Injuns.
80 A large jackrabbit… with ANTLERS {a Jackalope}… becomes interested in the Posse and begins following them.
81 A drifter, his clothes threadbare, his battered hats pulled down over his eyes, passes by. Upon noticing the Posse, he quickly change directions AWAY from them…
82 A Hellfire Preacher with a flock of 6 following him.
83 Rich Tinhorn Traveler {worth $8245.00} who is looking for fellows to travel with.
84 A Sifu from a prominent school.
85 3 of Helstromme’s X-Squadders escorting a automaton to locals outwest.
86 6 makeshift graves with unmarked, weathered, crosses.
87 An abbonded Wells Fargo Stagecoach with $118.00 local dinero.
88 One broken, bloody Union scouting party of 3 soldiers passes the Posse heading north.
89 Local Minor Creature Feature.
90 Lone Preacher with no powers, just the will of God…
91 Duster: Cognition v. 7{+8 if sittin' still ot +2 if movin'}. In the distance you see a scrawny, emaciated squirrel.
92 4 Walkin’ Dead just amlessly meandering off the path...
93 A bounty hunter who is looking for someone the Posse knows, perhaps a recent acquaintance.
94 Dust Devil: A large pale snake with spines running all down its back slithers through the dirt. Suddenly it rears up, a cloud of dust forms around it as it twists and flails creating a whirlwind. The whirling Dust Devil moves towards the Posse…
95 2 Highwaymen with shotguns and a pistol backup robbing 2 average folk.
96 A lone bounty hunter who is looking for one of the Posse {Remember those Heroes’ enemy hindrances}…
97 Dust Devil. Not the critter, just a swirling cloud of "dust".
98 3 adventureres with one Harrowed among them.
99 1 Confederate deserter(s) hidin' in the brush...
100 A curious box lies on the road, a cognition test (7) is needed to spot it, should the Posse pick it up they can see its a puzzle box of some kind, a smarts test (13) is needed to figure out how to open it, what would be inside however would be up to the Marshal
101 A grizzly bear! This one is quite clever however; it understands human communication. If the Posse investigates, the bear has no intention of attacking at first sight, its just there, what’s up with the bear? Is it from a circus???
102 A river that isn't on any maps is now blocking the way for the Posse. Maybe something foul or greedy is waiting were the Posse might cross. And WHY is there a river here were the maps are so detailed?...
103 A small house/farmstead ablaze on the prairie, when the Posse arrives they find the burnt remains of a family layin’ outside the main house. A closer inspection reveals they were shot as they tried to run out of the inferno. Several hoof prints Lead off to the west...
104 A snowstorm! Even if the Posse happens to be smack right out into the dessert and its summer! If the Posse checks it out they can hear the wailing of a woman in the midst of the storm, what or who could it be?
105 A stagecoach has thrown a wheel and one of the passengers has suffered a severe wound to the head, if the Posse can lend aid they will be most appreciative.
106 1 Albino midgets jump out of the ground and try to drag them down and eat their liver (with farm beans and a good chianti)...
107 Buzzard on a Gut Wagon- The Posse comes upon a small wagon abandoned on the side of the road, inside one will find it has been piled with entrails. And sitting atop the whole mess like a King guarding his throne is a lone buzzard. Maybe the guts are human, maybe their not . . . just let the Posse wonder.
108 Cattle stampede! 200 head of cattle head straight for the Posse.
109 The Posse encounters a woman who is a run away mail order bride, she's headed the same direction as the heroes and ran away because of she was beat up by her fat, mean husband. Is she really who she says she is, or something more nefarious?
110 Keen Posse members see 8 vultures circling around…
111 Let there be light. Up a head a large explosion suddenly fills the skies with a light that makes the horses buck and throw and the Posse lose their bearings and go temporarily blind. The following cloud from the explosion rises miles into the heavens. THAT'S mad science for you.
112 Love's Traveling Goods: Professor Xavior Love and his wagon full of elixirs are traveling to the next town, but he'll gladly sell his wares to the Posse if the are willing. The elixirs could be legit, snake oil, or perhaps lethal and that's how he makes his money.
113 Snake oil: Up ahead is a wagon, driven by a single salesman. Inside are large amounts of cure all. Like every other non card playing huckster out there, this one is assured to work. After a few attempts at selling, he tries to see if the Posse will let him join up with them to the next town.
114 The Posse comes upon a holy hermit {Christian Blessed} who will offer to heal any wounded in the Posse. He will also break bread with them if they are camping soon and spend the evening telling stories.
115 The Posse stumbles upon an ancient burial mound, this could predate any known race and may contain ancient relics, old bones or something man was not meant to know.
116 The train derails. Maybe it's a hold up or just something sinister.
117 Today is a sunny day, not to hot and nothing really happens…
118 You can't go home again: Up ahead seems to be a small home, most likely a watering hole. Closer examination reveals the building to be abandoned, and in terrible shape
119 The Posse finds a half charred wagon and some bleached bones, if they search it through they find $12.00, should they investigate further they will find the wagon must have been burned ages ago and it would be impossible to find out who it was, but one could always assume...
120 In the clouds off to the east The Posse watchs in horror as a funnel cloud touches down and slowly moves south leaving a swatch of destruction in its wake!
121 A wind kicks up from the west, picking up in velocity, a wall of dust forms, heading straight for the Posse…
122 {In Town} The contents of a chamber pot spill across the road as someone tosses them out of an upper window.
123 The sky overhead darkens as clouds obscure the sun's waning light. With a blinding flash, lightning zigzags across the sky, shortly followed by the ominous roar of thunder..
124 A man is reaching for an elixir but he can't reach it. If the Posse helps him he turns into a La Croix Zombie ready for a fight. If not he dies.
125 The sounds of a crying child come from the thick underbrush. Vines, branches, and closely packed trees hinder travel. Two possible results for the rescuers: 1) They find a child being tormented by a Varmint, giving the Posse a chance to rescue it. 2) The sounds were a “mimic” to get the Posse to fall for an ambush.
126 A crackling roar can be heard coming from the south... FIRE!!! In escaping from a raging wildfire all sorts of beings are fleeing for their lives; and the Posse must cooperate with them or battle them to survive. Fire and fury is everywhere in a radical flight for life....
127 Meteor Strike!!! Above a blinding flash is seen as a streak of light blazes down from the constellations to the earth; a tremor below their feet and then an almighty bang that they feel in their stomachs as much as they hear in their ears...
128 A major bridge is out and traffic is backed up on both sides. When the Posse comes across the situation, a bandit raid is in progress, and they are caught in the crossfire.
129 Two groups of monsters are battling it out. It could be territorial aggression, rival tribes, or an invasion. You decide whether the monsters will ignore the Posse, divide their energy between enemy monsters and the Posse, or unite against the Posse…
130 A deep arroyo, its sandstone cliffs layered in sunset pastels and honeycombed with small holes that are home to a multitude of scorpions {small and large} and everything in between. Experienced Posse members will think nothing of small, normal stinging creatures, but hundreds of them at once can present a dangerous challenge.
131 The Posse meets someone who is on the way to dispose of a body. He might come from a nearby town where he killed someone and is looking for a quiet place to bury the body or get rid of it in other ways. The body might be concealed on a wagon. Or maybe he just started to dig a hole when the Posse meets him.
132 A random Posse member falls prey to some sort of trap and 3 hunter(s) pop(s) out. They are trying to trap a vicious wolf raiding the area. There is a $49.00 bounty on every wolf tongue - which can also be used to pay taxes {this actually is historical!}.
133 A cowpoke's horse throws a shoe {happens more often in real life then it happens in games}. The hombre must walk the horse back to town or risk having a lame horse. A variation can be a stone in the hoof.
134 An “unofficial” toll station and roadblock lies ahead. The local riff-raff have gone into business for themselves. They'll try to con the party out of a few copper or silver each + a toll for the animals of course...
135 A wandering tinker/toymaker - actually a thief and a good one at that {specializes in opening locks and finding and removing traps}. This guise gives him an excuse to carry a lot of the tools of the trade with good excuse. He is traveling from one city/town to another.
136 A mysterious rain of jellyfish: The players will bash their brains out trying to figure the significance. Enterprising players with food preservation skills may turn this into a money making opportunity…
137 Pilgrims on their way to a holy site ask the Posse for food and alms. For an added twist you could make them lepers or plague carriers...
138 The Posse stumbles across a tunnel. If they decide to explore it they find out it is much bigger than they thought, a tunnel city infested with local natives. A tunnel or cave in the middle of nowhere that no-one knows about…
139 A broken axle, old and rusty, lays half buried in the sand.
140 A broken shoe.
141 An old rope bridge spans a ravine. It looks like it may hold, then again it may not… It will collapse after 3 hombres cross.
142 Animal droppings containing human body parts—small tracks, big beast???
143 The Posse encounters a small hut a bit off of the trail. It's glowing with the hue of an evening fire. If they investigate they find it belongs to an eccentric painter.
144 The Posse encounters 4 poacher(s) who want to relate to the Posse and share glory stories.
145 The Posse fall into a trap with 3 hostile injuns and are forced to put differences aside to help each other.
146 {In Town} Very friendly cat weaves in and out of one of the Posse members' legs.
147 4 Caves dot the face of the cliffs to the north.
148 3 mile(s) to the east an abandoned shack sits, derelict in the sun.
149 An unseasonally cold wind kicks up from the south west.
150 {In Town} The stench of a ripe outhouse hangs in the wind...
151 {In Town} An old timer runs up to a random Posse member yelling "Dan? Dan!!! Ya ain't changed a bit in nigh on ta 15 years. It's like seen' a ghost…"
152 {In Town} A bee stings a nearby child who blindly runs to a Posse member for soothing.
153 A discarded, tattered cloak flaps forlornly in the wind.
154 Not quite looking where he/she is going one of the cowpokes steps in a puddle.
155 In the wavering heat what was once a lush green waterhole can bee seen.
156 {In Town} A messenger collides with the Posse and numerous papers start blowing around .
157 A silver dollar sits gleaming in the sun.
158 Large boot tracks in mud heading north west.
159 {In Town} A fishmonger/fruit seller dumps a cart of rotten fish/fruit for scavengers to clean up.
160 Pleasant voices seem to chant on the breeze…
161 {In Town} Someone appears/disappears in the shadows of an alley.
162 A random hombre is stung by a bee.
163 Across the trail lays a huge, ancient tree, toppled by the wind, its roots outstretched as if reaching for the sky.
164 {In Town} A weary traveler is mobbed by adoring children...
165 {In Town} Three performers in masks surround the Posse and perform a ring dance around them.
166 A hat rolls along in the wind.
167 {In Town} People begin cheering for the Posse.
168 Just off the beaten path sits a statue of some unidentified hero. Where did it come from and how did it get here?
169 A heard of wild horses frolic in a green field. A first sign of the Posse they scatter.
170 {In Town} A crazy man points at Posse's equipment and lists its magical properties--and he's right!
171 A caterpillar or grub-infested tree falls to the ground with an ear splitting crash.
172 {In Town} Political activists on parade beckon the Posse to join .
173 A lush clearing filled with luxuriant ferns.
174 Squirrels chasing each other run across the path and up a tree.
175 Partial eclipse of the sun. An omen, a portent, or just a coincidence?
176 A punctured canteen lies, discarded in the path.
177 {In Town} A person passed out from too much drink, looted, with writing on his forehead…
178 {In Town} Two religious processions meet head-on…
179 With a muffled crash a tree falls in the distance causing a cloud of squawking birds to fill the air.
180 {In Town} A woman drops a basket of fruit--can the Posse dodge before squashing some?
181 {In Town} A beggar asks for handouts.
182 The cry of a lone hawk echoes in the air…
183 {In Town} A diseased old man resting in a chair asks for help standing up.
184 Unusual patches of very lush growth periodically dot the horizon.
185 In the wavering heat a refreshing pool reflects the suns rays. But as the Posse approaches it evaporates.
186 A patch of bushes filled with blackberries sits just off the path.
187 A patch of berry bushes, picked clean, sit just off the trail.
188 {In Town} A pickpocket plies his trade, but not very well.
189 {In Town} A chatty bard walks alongside the Posse repeating random bits of conversation.
190 Very friendly skunk tries to weave in and out of a cowpoke's legs.
191 An old, rotted horse carcass sits stinking in the sun.
192 {In Town} A tramp approaches the Posse for minor scam.
193 {In Town} Private guards flank a door.
194 A shallow hole dug in the middle of the trail.
195 An oasis, lush and green, beckons to the Posse.
196 A cloud shaped as holy symbol can bee seen on the horizon.
197 A large patch of brightly colored mushrooms sits in the shade.
198 A huge stick insect or mantis moves into the foliage of a nearby bush.
199 One of the Posse has an intense itch.
200 A moderate earthquake rolls across the land!
201 {In Town} Clothing tossed out a window during a lovers' spat lands on a Posse member.
202 {In Town} A criminal in custody is marched through the streets.
203 {In Town} A parent scolds a child as he/she drags the child down the street.
204 {In Town} An hombre is solicited by a prostitute.
205 {In Town} A hawk dives out of the sky, snagging a gopher near the Posse.
206 {In Town} A local teen approaches the Posse wanting to join them in their adventures.
207 Large tree with the image of a face in the bark.
208 {In Town} A street vendor asks the Posse "Please watch this cart for me, just for a minute."
209 {In Town} As the Posse turn a corner they stumble upon lover's quarrel.
210 {In Town} A person walks by with living snakes wrapped around his/her shoulders
211 {In Town} A politician on a box of soap during a speech makes eye contact with a Posse member.
212 A pond has grown around a beaver's dam.
213 An old ring sticking out of the dirt.
214 {In Town} A man gets down on one knee and proposes, drawing a crowd and knotting traffic.
215 The sweet smell of honeysuckle lingers on the wind.
216 {In Town} A horse thief hangs from a gallows.
217 {In Town} A depressed musician asks sing-song, rhetorical questions of the Posse.
218 {In Town} A beggar with his hand down a drain hole brings up a ring and immediately asks the Posse to buy it.
219 {In Town} Singing floats out of nearby building.
220 {In Town} A known crime boss sits and reads while sweating shoe shine boy buffs and casts the Posse worried looks.
221 Dead, rotted, burnt, headless body sits in the middle of the path.
222 {In Town} A couple of codgers bicker over a chess match.
223 "HPL Loves SG" is carved into a tree on the side of the road.
224 {In Town} A salesman offers great Discounts on holy water.
225 Smoke rises in distance {brush fire}...
226 A grove of of dead trees can be seen to the north.
227 {In Town} Someone stomps in nearby puddle splashing the Posse!
228 {In Town} A little boy confronts the Posse and shoots them with an imaginary gun.
229 Deer tracks heading south.
230 The thunder of falling rocks can be heard in the distance... Landslide???
231 A shopping list for a "potion" is found blowing in the breeze.
232 {In Town} 3 Dogs chasing each other run by.
233 {In Town} The Local 'lawdog' follows you for 8 blocks.
234 {In Town} A door bursts open as 10 drunks fill the street in a fist fight.
235 A Circus wagon trundles past, animal calls can be heard coming from inside...
236 {In Town} An escaped pet rodent rolling around the street in its ball bumps up against a Posse's leg.
237 A cloud of bats rise in the distance...
238 5 mile(s) to the south east a campfire can be seen flickering in the night.
239 About 4 mile(s) off the path to the west an abandoned campsite can be seen. The tents in tatters, flapping in the wind, the packs and crates ransacked. No sign of the occupants, dead or alive…
240 A swarm of bees converges on the Posse.
241 A carpet of spongy moss covers the path for 113 yards.
242 {In Town} A strong, young, healthy beggar asks for "spare change."
243 {In Town} A flock of chickens peck at the street.
244 A rocky outcropping resembling a frog.
245 Large patch or hill of flowers.
246 {In Town} Large flock of birds flies acrobatics, then darts away.
247 {In Town} Children pester Posse.
248 One cowpoke's ears begin to ring…
249 {In Town} "Muff", the town drunk, points muzzely at one of the Posse and slurs, "hey don' I know ya???"
250 A pair of small birds harass the Posse.
251 A raven lands in the path, stares at the Posse and then leaves.
252 {In Town} A roof tile falls, barely missing an hombre...
253 A decaying body crawling with fleas lies just off the road.
254 Arid dust coats your mouth.
255 {In Town} A few sun bleached papers blow by.
256 {In Town} A food fight breaks out in a nearby eatery.
257 {In Town} A paint can spills from above and splashes Posse.
258 A shadow passes across the ground.
259 Active bees nest
260 {In Town} Graffiti on building
261 {In Town} A round faced boy looking for his pet frog "Trevor"…
262 A prairie dog scurries away…
263 {In Town} A woman with too much fashion going on breaks her shoe and stumbles into a Posse member.
264 The foliage at the side of the road parts and a wild boar charges towards the Posse.
265 {In Town} A feral cat is trailing the party.
266 A snake slithers down the path.
267 {In Town} Kids playing hide 'n seek.
268 A dog slinks up to the Posse and begs for scraps.
269 A couple of rats are follow the posse.
270 The stench of skunk permeates the air.
271 9 coyotes fighting over a kill.
272 {In Town} A pimp accuses on of the Posse: "you messin' with my woman?"
273 A shadow passes across the ground…
274 {In Town} 4 emaciated children tug at the sleeves of the Posse.
275 {In Town} A rich man is carried past in a sedan chair.
276 {In Town} One of the Posse steps in a pile of "poo"!!!
277 {In Town} One of the Posse has an allergic reaction to an exotic spice/pollen in the air.
278 {In Town} Crow squawks repeatedly as the Posse approaches.
279 {In Town} Two hooded people whisper on street.
280 {In Town} Cats chasing each other dart past the Posse.
281 10 scattered and broken arrows or bolts.
282 An injured bird lies helpless in the grass.
283 {In Town} A ray of light seems to surround one person…
284 Many thousands of stink bugs scurry over 'something'…
285 {In Town} An overturned cart causes a gridlock.
286 An injured squirrel lies helpless in a pile of rotting leaves.
287 A forgotten Bowie knife jammed into stump.
288 A large swarm of crickets scurries/buzzes around the Posse…
289 Rats are rummaging through Posse's food…
290 {In Town} Religious pilgrims with vow of silence are jeered at.
291 Howling/barking in the distance
292 An odd crystalline growth protrudes from the ground.
293 {In Town} Mime attack!!!
294 An earsplitting squawk shatters the silence.
295 A large animal can be heard crashing through the brush.
296 human tracks heading north west…
297 Huge spider's web.
298 A skeleton of a(n) human lays bleaching in the sun…
299 Smoke rises in distance…
300 {In Town} A passing child drops her pottery and cries.
301 Picked mushrooms laying on stump to dry.
302 An old rusty/worn pot lies discarded in the dust.
303 {In Town} A body is tied to a stake, it is still smoking...
304 {In Town} A dangerous fish in a tank displayed in a nearby window bumps loudly against the glass.
305 It is eerily quiet… Too quiet.
306 A Pair of small hedgehogs harass the Posse
307 Some bears are following you…
308 {In Town} An injured mounted scout charges through the street.
309 {In Town} A religious leader and his incense burning retinue cuts across the Posse's path.
310 {In Town} A young consumer is watched closely.
311 Burned area {trees standing, no undergrowth, all black}…
312 {In Town} A cop/guard walking a beat.
313 {In Town} A dangerous-looking raccoon has claimed an apple cart as his merchant beseeches Posse.
314 Large splatter of bird droppings.
315 A Posse member gets a dull, throbbing headache.
316 {In Town} A visitor stops to ask for directions to an interesting place.
317 A broken, rotted wagon wheel lies forgotten.
318 Giant feather
319 Tree with bark chewed or clawed off the bottom.
320 {In Town} Parade in honor of the town's hero.
321 {In Town} A couple of Ferners arguing in their own language.
322 To the north west a bog can be seen. There are 32 Will o'the Whisps dance around it…
323 A creek bars the Posse's path.
324 A ray of sun light hits a tree or bush.
325 A rainbow forms in the distance.
326 {In Town} A dead ox causes a gridlock.
327 {In Town} Someone bumps an hombre's pack/wallet… Nothing's missing.
328 {In Town} Posse passes an alleyway blocked by a new spider web.
329 déjà vu: There is something familiar about all this...
330 {In Town} An angry customer argues with a shopkeeper.
331 {In Town} A small bird egg drops out of a nest from above and lands intact nearby.
332 Sentry animal (probably bird or rodent) raises an alarm.
333 2 hatched eggs lay below an abandoned nest.
334 {In Town} One person chasing another.
335 {In Town} A spoiled brat begs his/her parent for a toy.
336 {In Town} A street vendor hawking: rock candy {$0.15}; stick of dynamite {$1.5}; whisky {$0.45}; hair pins {pack of 100} {$0.2}; men's shaving kit {$2}; stick of dynamite {$1.5}; hats {$2}; poker chips {$0.2}; shovel {$1.3}; Laudanum {$10} & hot corn {$0.07}.
337 A disabled wagon with nearby dead campfire...
338 {In Town} A cat is stuck in a tree and mewls at the Posse…
339 A mother bear protecting cubs…
340 {In Town} The heavenly aroma of home cooking hangs in the air.
341 A Stick-figure voodoo doll found by the road.
342 A large bird (heron) seems to follow the Posse.
343 {In Town} The Posse stumbles onto a pair of amorous teens.
344 {In Town} A troup of 4 well-armed adventurers pass by…
345 To the north east a lake gleams in the sun… Something stirs below the water's surface!
346 A stack of rocks piled high.
347 {In Town} The street cleaner sweeps by…
348 {In Town} A distracted senior totters straight for the Posse…
349 Fool's gold sparkles in a nearby stream.
350 A groundhog colony: big holes, mounds of dirt… That's an awfully big hole!
351 {In Town} A garbage bin rattles; inside is a tied sack of kittens.
352 Fish bones.
353 {In Town} Street preacher accosts the Posse.
354 Remnants of old campfire lay in a clearing to the north of the road.
355 {In Town} A sheet of music blows into a Posse's face.
356 {In Town} A rubbery mass sticks to the boot of a cowpoke {gum}.
357 To the north stands a grove of birch trees.
358 {In Town} A fish vendor bends over to vomit and people point and laugh.
359 A patch of vines strangle an oak tree.
360 {In Town} As the Posse enters town a pair of gunslingers engage in a "Duel at High Noon"!
361 {In Town} A poster proclaiming 'Poker Tournament: $31.00 buy in. Every Wednesday Night at the T-Bar Saloon!'
362 As the Posse tops the next hill a Ghost Town sits forlornly in the road…
363 An old grizzled prospector leading his mule passes the Posse.
364 The Posse witnesses a "Claimjumpin’"…
365 A plucky sidekick looking for a new "friend".
366 {In Town} The school marm saunters down the street carrying an armload of books.
367 The outlaw trying to escape his past: The Posse is approached by a man, obviously down on his luck, looking for "honest work".
368 Sitting, unwatched, in an empty rocking chair on the boardwalk is a map of a hidden miner's fortune..
369 {In Town} The Sheriff stands on his "soapbox" entreating the townsfolk to form a posse {becoming deputized} and riding after the "Hole in the Wall Gang".
370 {In Town} Gunshots are fired and the cry of "Bank Robbery!!!" shatters an otherwise peaceful day.
371 {In Town} Piano player stops playing when the bad guy enters: The sound of the Saloon piano can be heard as the Posse wanders the streets, suddenly, and unexpectedly it stops!
372 {In Town} As the Posse "wanders" a surly fellow approaches: "We don't like yer kind here!"
373 {In Town} The sheriff holds off a lynch mob intent on dragging off his prisoner.
374 {In Town} A little kid is pulled out from in front of a charging stagecoach.
375 {In Town} A little kid asks the Posse what they are doing in town.
376 A wagontrain of earnest settlers heading west.
377 As the Posse settles for the night a church congregations singing "We'll shall gather at the river" wanders by heading for… the River!
378 {In Town} Upon arriving in town, people stare at the Posse from every window, door, balcony and street corner.
379 {In Town} An undertaker is lurking nearby. He points to each member and correctly guesses their height and weight.
380 {In Town} An 'Informant' seems to know all about someone, something, or someplace and is willing to share it with the Posse… For a Price {$8}.
381 {In Town} As a pair of shootists exit the saloon, the street clears, window shades are drawn, and closed signs are put up. A gun-fight is about to go down.
382 {In Town} The posse witness a Jail Break as someone pulls the bars out of the stone wall by tying it his horse to it and galloping off.
383 A man walks by wearing' a hat with an Indian's arrow sticking out of it.
384 {In Town} A street fight involving someone being thrown/dropped/tossed/dunked into a horse trough.
385 {In Town} The boards in front of the General Store creaks as the Posse walk across them.
386 {In Town} A codger spits into a Spittoon. "Sputtttttt-tang… HeHeHe Bullzeye!"
387 The Posse wanders the countryside and spies a white hat on a stick come into sight over a rock. As they stare in wonder a barrage of gunshots split the air as the stupid "black hats" uses up all their shots on the hat {they always fall for that one}.
388 A gunshot echoes, a hat flies into the air, another shot, the hat spins, another shot, and another, the hat stays afloat. Two more shots sound as the hat seems to dance. As the hat slowly descends the Posse notices something odd. THERE ARE NO HOLES IN THE HAT!!!
389 {In Town} A little kid approaches one of the Posse, "Hey mister, can I watch yer horse fer ya? Fitty cents!"
390 {In Town} A British/Russian noble, who obviously has more cash than he can ever spend, saunters down the street showing off his riches...
391 2 mile(s) to the north the Posse spots a wagon train formed into a circle and being defended against Indians surrounding it.
392 {In Town} A group of minor 'toughs' force someone to dance by shooting at their feet.
393 As the Posse approaches a homestead the head of the household entreats the Posse: A local land/cattle/rail baron has resorted to all manner of underhanded methods to drive them off their homestead, in hopes of swiping up their land for various reasons.
394 {In Town} A group of kids playing on a gallows.
395 {In Town} As the Posse enters town someone crashes through the big window of the local saloon during a brawl.
396 {In Town} A "Geezer", follows a young and handsome "Dude": "Yeah, now yer talkin', Roy!"
397 {In Town} A "Geezer", follows a young and handsome "Dude" pointin': "They went that-a-way, Tex!"
398 {In Town} A "Geezer" carryin' a rope, follows a young and handsome "Dude": "Let's string 'im up, Gene."
399 {In Town} As the Posse enters town they notice that the House of Ill Repute is the first business on the main street they pass…
400 {In Town} While stayin' in town the Posse notices that the House of Ill Repute seems to do quite well financially, although none of the townsfolk would ever consider actually going there.
401 {In Town} The House of Ill Repute employs about two dozen reasonably good looking girls dressed in silk corsages.
402 {In Town} The House of Ill Repute is run by a fat mother hen, who may {or may not} have been one of the reasonably good looking girls about twenty years ago.
403 {In Town} A gunfight ensues; a beer barrel gets shot up, The Posse has to stop to take a drink.
404 {In Town} The town's well meaning deputy, who is an outgoing geezer "Stumpy" asks the Posse to help him apprehend one of the town's toughs.
405 The Posse spies a relatively recent sign, pointing the way to a town. Curiously, it's not on any maps or established trade route. Is it a boomtown, which seem to pop up all over the place, or is there something sinister?
406 The Posse comes across a campsite, fire smoldering, supplies all spread out, but nobody's there. There seems to be a lack of any real tracks signifying any direction they left.
407 A strong wind blows by, kicking up dust and small debris, including a few saddle burrs.
408 A young woman is running on foot, being chased by a mob insisting that she's a witch.
409 A Stage Coach being chased down by 9 bandits.
410 As the Posse rides along the trail suddenly a(n) lantern come(s) falling out of the sky… It's the local fearmonger/Reckoners themselves' doing: the purpose of this 'prank' is to scare the Posse a little.
411 The ground beneath the Posse's feet suddenly gives way as a sink hole opens below them. With a yell of surprise the Posse plummets into a dank, dark abyss…
412 A Confederate army patrol catching wild horses.
413 An artist building a home.
414 A bounty hunter rounding up cattle.
415 Buffalo hunters hunting goat.
416 A troup of Confederate cavalry scouts raiding an Indian camp.
417 A Union cavalry patrol pursuing kidnapers.
418 3 Cowboys looking for a missing person.
419 A dentist dying of thirst.
420 A detective tracking a lost child.
421 A doctor looking for a homestead.
422 A drifter dying of thirst.
423 A gambler heading for town.
424 A gunfighter looking for lost treasure.
425 A gunsmith fleeing a posse.
426 A homesteader fleeing relatives.
427 An Indian family transporting payroll.
428 An Indian tribe raiding an Indian camp.
429 An Indian war party going to a hanging.
430 An itinerant preacher looking for work.
431 A lawyer prospecting.
432 A lone lawman transporting gold.
433 A lone outlaw tracking deer.
434 A miner transporting payroll.
435 Anun putting up a fence.
436 A photographer tracking a lost child.
437 A reporter transporting pilgrims.
438 A posse pursuing kidnapers.
439 3 soiled doves fleeing Indians.
440 10 railroad surveyors fleeing a lone lawman.
441 A rancher setting an ambush.
442 7 rustlers delivering a parcel.
443 19 settlers transporting payroll.
444 A sheepherderfleeing vigilantes.
445 A Texas ranger hiding out.
446 A traper transporting pilgrims.
447 A traveling merchant tracking a lost child.
448 7 unemployed cowboys pursuing rustlers.
449 14 vigilantes tracking a lost child.
450 A freight-wagon train building a home.
451 A writer raiding a homestead.
452 an Indian war party pursuing kidnapers.
453 {In Town} 12 soldiers chasing someone.
454 {In Town} An artist selling 4 horse(s).
455 {In Town} A bounty hunter putting up a building.
456 {In Town} A buffalo hunter looking for a fight.
457 {In Town} A Confederate cavalry scout begging.
458 {In Town} A Confederate cavalry officer mistakes one of the Posse for someone else.
459 {In Town} A cowboy putting up a building.
460 {In Town} A dentist begging.
461 {In Town} A detective getting drunk.
462 {In Town} A doctor loading supplies onto a wagon.
463 {In Town} a drifter touting a champion boxer: Johnny MacSweeny.
464 {In Town} A gambler insulting settlers.
465 {In Town} A gunfighter holding a shooting contest.
466 {In Town} A craftsman chasing someone.
467 {In Town} A granger delivering mail.
468 {In Town} A reservation Indian setting an ambush.
469 {In Town} An Indian woman chasing a spooked horse.
470 {In Town} An Indian fugitive talking about the "Old Days"…
471 {In Town} A preacher hiring a guide.
472 {In Town} A lawyer insulting Indians.
473 {In Town} A deputy sheriff putting up a building.
474 {In Town} A mugger bringing in oar for assaying.
475 {In Town} A miner hiring a guide.
476 {In Town} A nun holding a shooting contest.
477 {In Town} A photographer looking for a fight.
478 {In Town} A bully chasing someone.
479 {In Town} 4 soiled doves insulting settlers.
480 {In Town} A railroad executive putting up a building.
481 {In Town} A rancher hiding out.
482 {In Town} A drifter begging.
483 {In Town} A pilgrim scouting robbery targets.
484 {In Town} A sheephearder buying dynamite…
485 {In Town} A stage guard putting up a building.
486 {In Town} A stage driver buying horses.
487 {In Town} A Texas Ranger rounding up truants.
488 {In Town} A trapper chasing a spooked horse.
489 {In Town} A merchant herding cattle through town.
490 {In Town} A drunk begging.
491 {In Town} A vigilante hiring a guide.
492 {In Town} A teamster delivering mail.
493 {In Town} A novelist bringing in oar for assaying.
494 Mailman on a velocipede: In the distance the Posse hears a low droning sound. Off to the south they can see a cloud of dust fast approaching. With a scream the horses begin to panic as the droning becomes a loud roar...
495 The Posse is in flight {running, or flying close to the earth} at a rapid speed when a flock of birds spring up into their path causing a “Bird Strike”. If on a “Mad Science” gadget the engines are fowled by “bird” and blow... Now they a need to land; the landing can be a rapid crash or more controlled safe attempt {a flock of large birds can change the severity of the strike. Such A flock would need to be dodged through, with more severe results in a strike}.
496 The Posse comes upon an old man, his skin cracked and leathery from exposure, compulsively balancing rocks upon one another in bizarre columns, each about 5' tall. The entire time, he's mumbling to himself about "building the egg tower for Pheenos." The enigmatic codger has created about thirty of these piles in geometric shapes throughout the dunes and sagebrush. He's harmless unless the Posse knocks over a column {somewhat likely}; then he'll attack them {however ineffectual that might be}. Should they ever manage to reason with him, they may find out that he's delusional from thirst and possibly suffering from latent mental defects {he hears voices, hallucinates}. How he managed to survive this long on his own is a mystery. Maybe there really is some minor spirit {"Pheenos"} toying with the old guy, using magic to keep him alive.
968 A tar pit has opened up in the midst of some valuable pasture land and prized sheep and cattle are getting sucked into the tar when they go down to drink the water from the surface. Now a variety of nasty predators and carrion eating creatures has moved into the neighborhood to take advantage of the situation. The Posse encounters the area accidentally or when they are asked by the townspeople to look for a missing shepherd. Once they get there, they are attacked by a series of predators. With each attack they risk being driven into the tar themselves. If they survive, do they just fence the tar pit off, or do they try to figure out where it came from?
497 The Posse sees a monolith carved with the words of several ancient languages. Non are able to interpret them. After the Posse has a chance to examine the monolith, everyone gets a very odd feeling. Nothing damaging, nothing strong enough to analyze. About 100 yards later, there are more monoliths with even more ancient languages carved on it. Pictograms, symbols, and other obscure carvings that can easily be misinterpreted. The odd feeling intensifies to a full blown magical effect emanating from the monolith. I f the Posse keeps looking for monoliths, they'll find that they ring a large area filled with dead or undead vegetation, mutated indigenous creatures, and other strangeness. An aura of dread permeates the place. Careful investigation will show this to be a magical fallout zone and the carvings will be warnings to stay away in every language known at the time--which will not include English.
498 One of the NPCs traveling with the Posse is so afraid of getting insect bites that he/she is convinced to buy insect repellant. Only it's musk from a rutting male monster. The attacks start when the group passes into appropriate terrain. Until the Posse finds out about the musk and eliminate it on EVERYTHING, female monsters in heat will attack them repeatedly, going after the character with the musk. This is the clue that something is not quite right.
499 The Posse gets hopelessly lost. Point out that landmarks don't look right, the river bed that was supposed to be there isn't there, the rock outcropping that looks like a frog's head is missing, there are several sets of tracks with different animals, numbers, types... The age of trail is wrong... etc. Blame it on poor navigation, a Maze spell lingering in the area, a guide who is utterly incompetent, an incorrect map.
500 The Posse is trekking thru the wilderness and come to a ravine. A wooden-rope bridge once spanned the chasm, but now only one side of the bridge remains--basically two ropes, one 3 feet above the other spanning the gulf. The Posse can go around, but it will add a day or two to their trek. They can scale down into the ravine, but are faced with the prospect of crossing the raging river that runs thru it. Any hombre using the rope to cross will be attacked by 3 wall crawlers by day or 4 Devil Bats at night. The cowpoke on the rope can fight but takes a -4 to all attacks, plus, if fighting, he must make a climb check or fall into the raging waters below.
501 The Posse comes to a rocky crevasse. While not impassable, it will require careful navigation. The crevasse is the home of a small collection Wall Crawlers. The encounter should only appear to be a technical challenge, clambering up and down rocks, transporting their gear without breakage, etc. The whole time that they are engaged in this, they are being watched, and when they are at their most vulnerable 2 Wall Crawlers will attack. Beating off an attack while scattered over 200 vertical feet of rock will certainly add a certain level of tension!
502 The Posse comes across a shallow lake with numerous small, grassy hills in the middle. In reality this is an ancient and forgotten burial ground that was flooded in some past century. A great place to meet undead as well as water-dwellers, set it next to an inviting swamp and populate it with Will o’ the Wisps. The water makes for a series of small, confined battle areas and will make any encounter more tactically challenging.
503 A bunch of women from a nearby town gathering berries/mushrooms/truffles spots the Posse. They can {if treated politely} provide a lot of local rumors and information. The downside is they are horrible gossips and by tomorrow mid-day EVERYONE in the region will have heard of the Posse... and not everything heard may be correct "Yes, I heard about you lot... they say you are deserters from the army...".
504 The Posse encounters singing or talking plants, animals, and stones {a magical oddity}. A powerful magic relic is buried nearby and the magical radiations leaking from the item have had this side effect. If it's removed from the immediate area the special effect will gradually fade. If it's returned to the area, the effect re-occurs. Other variations include blue trees or pink shrubs in a small area....
505 A wandering minstrel: He'll ask to accompany the party for a brief time; “safety in numbers and all that”. He'll pay for his food with songs and jokes and stories along the way. This might be fun for the players but the added noise will act to increase the chance of wilderness encounters unless the Posse tells him to shut up. The musician will not rob the party at all {someone will always be suspicious of him anyway} and may be able to pass on rumors, local history etc.
506 4 or 5 minutes of faint {but growing louder} banging can be heard. A rustling and a series of squeals warns the party a minute before an enraged boar charges into the Posse’s midst and attacks them in a mad rage! The local Rich Land Owners are out hunting for boar and have their beaters out scaring up the game. If the Posse kills the boar the beaters and the Rich Land Owners will accuse them of poaching...
507 In the hills outside a town the Posse spies a bunch of men in ragged clothing and cloaks beating up a shepherd and "stealing" his sheep. The guys in ragged clothing are a local posse apprehending a rustler - hopefully the Posse will ask questions first. They could also {if you want to be really evil} be real bandits impersonating the local law. The shepherd, long since beaten senseless, will be in no condition to say otherwise.
508 A wall of thick fog glides silently but very quickly through the trees/landscape towards The Posse. Is it simply a cloud moving over the mountain or something more sinister? Quite suddenly, the birds in the trees and the rustling in the grass seemed to stop and the Posse just watches in amazement as this white wall comes through devouring the landscape, and them along with it...
509 On a dark and windy day, the Posse rests upon a ridge. When all at once a mighty herd of red eyed cows come plowin' through the ragged skies and up a cloudy draw. Their brands are still on fire and their hooves are made of steel their horns are black and shiny and their hot breath burns the Posses’ faces… A bolt of fear drives through the Posse as the heard thunders through the sky, for the riders can be seen coming hard and their mournful cry echoes. Their faces are gaunt their eyes are blurred and their shirts all soaked with sweat, they're ridin' hard to catch that herd…
510 The Posse finds an isolated, flood-ravaged town; the remaining townspeople beg for their help in rebuilding. There is nothing sinister going on -- the farm town has just been extremely unlucky over the years. Due to the weather-related deaths and emigration, there aren't enough able-bodied people left to rebuild the town. And there is much to be done here: rotted houses need rebuilding, people still need rescuing from the deeper parts of the flood, walls to prevent future floods need to be built, people need healing, etc. The town's entire crop was lost as well, so the Posse needs to secure enough food for the town to survive the coming winter. Or should the Posse concentrate on helping the remaining townspeople move to a less accident prone town instead? Some people can be pretty stubborn when asked to move...
511 A flock of black ravens lift up off a corpse as the Posse moves into the clearing. The body was previously a human female whose withered, desiccated form now shrouds a small, stone chest. Her lavishly decorated fine clothing still shine as though she had only put it on the day before. From the look of her flesh though, she has been here for months, perhaps longer. Her dry, skeletal arms grimly clasp a chest and her horrified death mask looks up and to the left, over her shoulder. The chest remains unopened. The small engravings on the stone chest depict a beautiful woman's face with striking red hair. Touching the corpse will cause a green light to animate from within the chest and a green colored astral serpent then appears over the intended victim's left shoulder...
512 Within a valley deep in the forest the group notices movement below them and hear large clicking noises. Looking down into the base of the valley they further take in that the movement is erratic; however they cannot make out what exactly it is due to the thick overgrowth. Moving closer, it appears to be possibly a giant centipede creature traveling up and down the bottom of the valley. Its movements indicate that it is trapped. An easy kill or perhaps a rescue. Exploring the surrounding area reveals at the end of the valley there is a small, hidden shelter that appears to be occupied.
513 A breathtaking young woman with burnished bronze flesh bathes in a spring. Upon her breast she wears only an ornate ruby necklace that flashes with fiery light. Her golden eyes sparkle with intelligence and yet she seems oblivious to her surroundings, lost in the moment and completely enjoying the warm spring. On approach, her eyes are closed as she stretches out in pleasure. Upon noticing the group she screeches. She and the spring instantly change into a rotten tree log and swamp hole. The ruby necklace hanging off the rotten log is all that remains from the previous scene...
514 A shadow haunts, follows, or tries to warn the Posse. In an attempt to communicate the shadow makes gestures, signals, or motions; such as drawing a weapon to show the Posse that they are being attacked from behind, or pointing the way to go {or not go}, or acting silly or mad; or reenacting the poor shadow's last minutes on earth as to the effect of how it died.
515 {In Town} The Posse has a new admirer whom they must persuade to stay behind. One or more of the Posse has attracted the attention of a star-struck kid who wants to grow up to be “just like them”. This can have some benefits in town, of course, where the child might be induced to carry messages, run errands, and other relatively harmless pursuits, but is likely to lead to trouble when the Posse leaves - this kid is really too young to go out on adventures. The kid has to be persuaded not to follow them, for his/her own safety...
516 The Posse encounters a farm that appears to have been raided by injuns. The Posse is riding along a country road when they spot in the distance the first farm they've seen in days. They also notice a thick column of black smoke rising into the air, and the foul smell of burnt flesh on the wind. Getting closer they see two injuns standing next to the small fire in the farm field. When the injuns see the Posse they ready their weapons, a tomahawk, and a two-pronged spear. These injuns are the actual owners of the farm. They are peaceful, and fled their tribe to live a solitary existence off the land. The father and son are standing next to the burning remains of their only cow, which died from illness. They speak very, very little English, and will defend themselves if attacked. There are two females in the nearby farmhouse. The mother watches her husband and son from the kitchen window (witnessing the arrival of the Posse with fear) while her young daughter plays on the floor behind her.
517 The Black Obelisk attacks all magic items in it vicinity. Once in contact {even through clothes...}, any magic item is then absorbed by the Black Obelisk and another random magic item is thrown out. At 100 yards, the pull begins to appear. If a character were to possess a magic item, he would slightly feel the pull. At 10 yards, a strength check might be done in order to resist, and at less then 1 yard, only critical may save you. However, the Black Obelisk is now so full of items that each time a new one is absorbed, the oldest is thrown out {you might say spat out, an unlucky character may well be knocked out...}.
518 The Posse encounters a mobile town: In a world of lurking terrors and hideous monsters, the Town of Wanderpark once was forced to relocate. The move was so successful; they decided to continue their gypsy life in grand style. This is more than a roving band of gypsies. Great teams of oxen pull huge wooden wagons. It makes a formidable impression on wandering monsters, especially when one gets run over.
991 The Posse encounters 3 guys on the road, 1 of each size, a midget, a fat one and a very tall one, they are really bandits, level 3, and if a gunfight should ensue they would stand so that the midget is in the front, the fat in the middle and the tall one behind, towards the Posse, or their opponents, so if the Posse fires at them and aim for the tall one and hit him in the legs they hit the midget in the head!
519 The Posse comes across a passing circus troupe, what they don’t know is that many of its freaks are abominations of a traveling "mad" mad scientist, if they should investigate they may find out that the circus isn’t about fun and games but rather a quite grotesque one, with piece mail twins, flesh spiders and various other "golems", with a Mad Scientist pulling at the strings...
520 The Posse hears some groans of pain coming from some brush nearby. If investigated they will find an old man, who's dying from a shotgun wound to the guts, with his last ounce of life he gives the Posse a map and tells them that its the Lost McCaffy Ghost Rock mine, then he gives up the ghost. The old man in reality is a well preserved walking dead and the map leads to an old played out mine with other undead waiting to ambush the Posse.
521 The Posse meets a traveling Nun with a guitar strapped to her back, she is Sister Mary the singing Nun. She offers to play some music for the Posse. If they take her up on it they must all make a Vigor (15) roll or be stunned for 3 rounds as she lets out the most God awful music they have ever heard, with a singing voice that makes a banshee sound soothing.
522 The Posse sees a large hairy man-like creature run out of the brush towards them making a God awful yell. This creature is a gorilla that has escaped from a traveling circus. If the party has never seen a gorilla before they might assume that it's an evil creature, but if they can capture it and return it unharmed then they will be paid $300.
523 The Posse sees a large tree in the distance, and closer inspection reveals that there are 2 corpses that have been hanged in it. Curious types may try to investigate further, and that’s where the fun begins. As the Posse approaches, the tree makes sneak rolls and uses its "tendrils" to loop around the Posse's ankles, and once it has them in the air, makes fightin' rolls to loop their necks. If the Posse notices something strange before the tree attacks {like several sorts of weapons littering the ground around the tree from previous victims} and backs off, the tree will start to flail at the Posse with the "nooses" and hit them with the "corpses." Further, it can throw bodies of prior victims at the Posse from a distance, which being walkin' dead, can then pursue the Posse further.
524 Reverse Time Capsule: The Posse sees something sticking of ground if they dig it up they find a metal box, inside this box is a modern day book with no title. The first person to touch the book will see horrible visions of the future with cities wiped out and undead roaming the streets, mutants and doombringers, cats and dogs living together (basically a glimpse at Hell on Earth). The book immediately falls into ashes that the wind takes it away. The character must make a Guts TN 15 roll or roll on the mad scientist table for an insanity. However they also gain +2 level in Academia: Occult.
525 Buffalo stampede!!! The rumble of the approaching buffalo can heard by everyone, and the roar quickly grows louder and louder... in the distance the Posse can see a cloud of dust that grows thicker and rises higher as they came closer. The thunder their hoofs is so loud that Posse has to shout to be heard. The buffalo loom on the horizon. They run shoulder to shoulder in a solid mass nearly half a mile wide...
526 Indian Burial Ground: Off to the west several mounds decorated with totums dot the horizon. Upon further investigation the Posse finds that some of the graves have been desecrated. If they investigate for more than 2 minutes voices may be heard crying in the wind. If there is a Indian among them he/she hears the “ancestors” cry for vengeance and is compelled to recover the Warriors’ remains {Spirit v. 10} and return them to their restin’ place {as a one point Obligation}…
527 So, it's late at night, and you're the guy on watch. You've had a bit too much coffee and that bush over there really looks like it needs waterin'. The next thing the posse hears as they're waking up is "AAAaaaAAAaaaAAAaaa..." !?! There was a sinkhole behind the bush that opens up into a small cavern complex!
_________________
Proud co-creator of the 1,000+ Random Encounter Generator found here!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Fuzyfeet
Seasoned


Joined: 07 Sep 2005
Posts: 371
Location: Gilroy, Ca.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great googly moogly. That's one doosy of a list.
_________________
Ju Ju

Just my $0.02

My Deadlands sites
The Lynchburg Journal
The Junkyard Intranet
The Temptation Reportl
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Zeb Rowe
Novice


Joined: 07 Feb 2008
Posts: 52

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Just wow.
_________________
Epitaph: Player Threatened by Pinnacle!

"...so I unwrap my brand new City O' Gloom box, and right there on the inside of the box bottom, I find the word "Die!!" handwritten in nice big friendly letters..."

What did I ever do to you guys?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tavis
Heroic


Joined: 27 Aug 2007
Posts: 1012
Location: Macclesfield UK

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where can I get a d527???
_________________
Currently Playing:

SWD: 50 Fathoms (GM)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Edgeworth
Seasoned


Joined: 01 Oct 2007
Posts: 190
Location: Kouvola, Finland

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Wow" is indeed a great way to express myself. But since it's kinda hard to roll a d527, it would be nice to have this as an application.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AFDia
Veteran


Joined: 09 Jun 2007
Posts: 821
Location: Austria/Vienna

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could roll a d6 ( a 6 is a 0) and a d100 and roll again if the result is > 527. Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lysander
Seasoned


Joined: 13 Apr 2008
Posts: 427
Location: San Antonio, Texas

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or you could roll a d23 xd23 (max of 529 outcomes)

of course, I'll need to find a d23...

or a d20 times the uber popular d30 and ignore if over 527...
_________________
There is no problem in this Universe that can't be solved with the application of roasted porcine flesh...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSReSGe200A
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lord Skudley
Heroic


Joined: 13 Mar 2006
Posts: 1391
Location: The Padded Cell Within My Mind...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edgeworth wrote:
"Wow" is indeed a great way to express myself. But since it's kinda hard to roll a d527, it would be nice to have this as an application.


I do believe I mentioned that it's an Excel spreadsheet which generates 6 random encounters chosen from the list.
Several of the encounters have sub lists to choose from {ie "east", "west", "Nosferatu", "dog", "meat pies", "flesh eating anphibians", &c.} thus making the options equal roughly 800 possibilities...
_________________
Proud co-creator of the 1,000+ Random Encounter Generator found here!


Last edited by Lord Skudley on Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Tuesday
Heroic


Joined: 14 Dec 2006
Posts: 1069

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lysander: Problem with those is that they'll skew to the middle of the list and make it hard to hit the lower and the higher ends.

And some results will just be impossible - 31, anyone? Any prime number over your larger die type will never occur.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pure Evil Model: D
Heroic


Joined: 28 Oct 2003
Posts: 1053

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha. I'll have to let JGrimm know you carried on the good work, when I see him next. He's been computerless for some time now.
_________________
***LOADS OF NEW DESIGNS!!***

Printfection Store! Tons of new designs and styles
CafePress Store!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Lord Skudley
Heroic


Joined: 13 Mar 2006
Posts: 1391
Location: The Padded Cell Within My Mind...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pure Evil Model: D wrote:
Ha. I'll have to let JGrimm know you carried on the good work, when I see him next. He's been computerless for some time now.


I was wondering where he went! Tell him I said "hi"
_________________
Proud co-creator of the 1,000+ Random Encounter Generator found here!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Wendigo1870
Veteran


Joined: 18 Apr 2007
Posts: 962
Location: Gym-Wood, Belgium

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had no life once too Wink , and started a big random encounter table back then. It was for HoE though. I'll see if I can still find it, and if some parts are useable for ordinary western. I'm not going to crosscheck it for doubles (nowadays I DO have a life).
_________________
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.
— Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Lord Skudley
Heroic


Joined: 13 Mar 2006
Posts: 1391
Location: The Padded Cell Within My Mind...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found one of the posts I stole from to create tthis list:

1001 Plots / Places / NPCs / etc. for western adventures...
_________________
Proud co-creator of the 1,000+ Random Encounter Generator found here!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Lord Skudley
Heroic


Joined: 13 Mar 2006
Posts: 1391
Location: The Padded Cell Within My Mind...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wendigo1870 wrote:
I had no life once too Wink , and started a big random encounter table back then. It was for HoE though. I'll see if I can still find it, and if some parts are useable for ordinary western. I'm not going to crosscheck it for doubles (nowadays I DO have a life).


As one with no life I would be glad to cross reference it... Heck I just might drop it on in there without cross referencing it.

BTW I just watched Donny Darko the other day. Liked the movie but at the end... Watthefaaaa?



To the rest of you: feel free to post any ideas you have, even ifin they are allready there!
_________________
Proud co-creator of the 1,000+ Random Encounter Generator found here!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Lord Skudley
Heroic


Joined: 13 Mar 2006
Posts: 1391
Location: The Padded Cell Within My Mind...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only 44% of you believe I have no life...

Any other sugestions?

No, really I don't really have a life.
_________________
Proud co-creator of the 1,000+ Random Encounter Generator found here!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Fuzyfeet
Seasoned


Joined: 07 Sep 2005
Posts: 371
Location: Gilroy, Ca.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The older you get, and still game regularly, the less of a "life" you tend to have. With work, and family, most time I only see my friends when we game... Surprised
_________________
Ju Ju

Just my $0.02

My Deadlands sites
The Lynchburg Journal
The Junkyard Intranet
The Temptation Reportl
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
TheCapedCrusader
Novice


Joined: 01 Aug 2009
Posts: 21

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! And in gratitude, I went through and separated out the (In Town) encounters into their own list. What can I say, I play with databases all day long... There were two that were mis-numbered, so there are 354 Wilderness + 175 In Town for a a total of 529.

Wilderness
1...A crashed wagon with a large steamer trunk containing 1 zombie of LaCroix craft
2...4 Men {Horse Thieve(s)} leading 4 horses with assorted brands on their flanks.
3...5 Dusty Cowpoke(s) riding off into the sunset.
4...A burnt out caravan of 2 dead settlers scalpt by injuns.
5...2 sun bleached skeletons half buried just off the path.
6...A wanderin' "crazy" runs up to you, slaps you on the back yelling "TAG!" then runs off.
7...A lone coyote or wolf.
8...8 Cannibal Cultists who want to eat the Posse (Yum!)...
9...A Pony Express Rider thunders past heading west.
10...5 dusty, tangled, tumbleweeds move north in the wind, or are they moving against the wind??? {Tumblebleeds}
11...Scattered across the terrain are various weapons and dead bodies...
12...3 Cultist(s) under cover with black magic.
13...A drunk, robbed and smelling terrible, lying in the road.
14...A single bleached skeleton with an “expensive item” inhadited by 3 gremlin(s)...
15...A Doctor, dusty and weary from covering his rounds to a hermit off in the hills, slowly rides past the Posse in the opposite direction.
16...2 robbery victim(s) tied up and lying on the side of the road.
17...3 Pinkerton(s) armed to the teeth on a mission...
18...A woman, dressed in a tattered white gown, fleeing from wedding. Why is she on the lamb? Does she need help?
19...One Tonic Salesman with 1 type(s) of tonics or pills direct from S&R
20...A Thief looking for traveling “companions”.
21...One healthy detachment of 2 Scouts heading east.
22...4 Local and friendly Indians heading west.
23...A writer for the Tombstone Epitaph who wants to hear the Posse’s strange and unusual stories.
24...4 dead cattle in the middle of the road.
25...A lost 9 year old child, dusty and frightened wanders, cryin' for his mama.
26...A Caravan of 21 covered wagons headed west.
27...A woman, dressed in her finest, looking for lost ring...
28...4 Buffalo Hunters hunting local animals.
29...One US Marshal, tired and dusty, passes in the opposite direction.
30...Werewolf Attack: The full moon peaks in and out of the night's clouds. Off in the distance a lonely howl can be heard, padded footsteps approach from behind. With a vicious growl the wolf pounces...
31...2 Soiled Dove(s) headed for greener pastures.
32...Huckster with 1 random hex to teach.
33...A lone gunslinger, two fingers missing from his right hand, slowly trudges by mumbling about a dark tower...
34...2 Miner(s) leading 1 donkey(s) laden with a myrid of tools and packs passes, laughing joyfully, heading west.
35...1 Saddleburr(s) attach themselves to a Posse member or his/her horse.
36...Storyteller with a random story about a creature in the marshal’s handbook, RVC, or RVCII.
37...6 Union Cavalry Scouts heading south looking for their regement.
38...3 Bandit(s) armed with rifles attempt to ambush the Posse.
39...4 Local and hostile Indians heading south.
40...A woman, riding side-saddle, her face puffy and brused, heads east fleeing from a husband who beats her
41...a lone woman with a frightened child sit on the roadside beside her broken down wagon.
42...Dead caravan scalpt by injuns.
43...Dead carcass of regional large wide animal.
44...A Traveling Merchant, his wares packed soundly on his mule, rides north.
45...3 Ranchers leading a cattle drive of 100 head of cattle.
46...A woman, her face dusty and tear stained, wanders east calling for her lost child.
47...The McNeill Boys.
48...A lone Texas Ranger sitting by a tent, smoking some meat over the coals of his fire.
49...A Wells Fargo Stagecoach with $177.00 local dinero.
50...One healthy platoon of 6 Union soldiers traveling east.
51...A photographer who wants to take the Posse’s picture
52...2 Union Cavalry Scout(s) looking for the nearest town, and information on it...
53...A "Tong" hatchettman looking to redeem his honor.
54...Mad Scientist: A man dressed in a greasy coat meanders south, mummbling under his/her breath...
55...A Wells Fargo Stagecoach heading east.
56...A random horse's side explodes as a prairie tick burst from it...
57...Snake Oil Salesman sells fake junk from the side of his gaudy wagon.
58...A Stagecoach with 3 passenger(s) speeds west.
59...5 Lost Angels wander the tundra...
60...3 men {bank robbers who have just robbed bank from closest town} carring $650.00 in assorted bills and coins.
61...Thunder rumbles off to the north.
62...Local Major Creature Feature
63...Lone, kind, Preacher with helpful abilities...
64...3 travelling loafers, their clothes dusty and threadbare pass by.
65...3 dusty, tangled, tumbleweeds move south in the wind.
66...A Smith and Robards Stagecoach with 1 package(s) trundles east.
67...4 Vampire(s): Ustrel rise from the shadows and stealthily approaches the Posse...
68...3 Bandit(s) armed with pistols in the middle of robbing 3 average folk.
69...One “Huckster” with 4 Tonic(s) from the S&R Catalogue that are half as effective and twice as malfunctional.
70...5 Highwaymen with rifles in an ambush.
71...One wounded detachment of 2 Confederate Scout(s) headed east on foot.
72...One wounded platoon of 6 Confederate Scout(s) headed north on foot and horse.
73...1 dead bodies just off the path...
74...A lone mule wanders the tundra. This animal was obviously owned and trained by someone, but who?
75...4 Gang Members with rifles and a pistol backup with 1 Gang Leader.
76...A Texas Ranger with 2 posse members heading north.
77...A fast Shootist with a chip on his shoulder, ready and willing to fight at any percieved slight...
78...7 Local, and subtly hostile, Indians traveling on horse...
79...6 Dead Injuns.
80...A large jackrabbit... with ANTLERS {a Jackalope}... becomes interested in the Posse and begins following them.
81...A drifter, his clothes threadbare, his battered hats pulled down over his eyes, passes by. Upon noticing the Posse, he quickly change directions AWAY from them...
82...A Hellfire Preacher with a flock of 6 following him.
83...Rich Tinhorn Traveler {worth $8245.00} who is looking for fellows to travel with.
84...A Sifu from a prominent school.
85...3 of Helstromme’s X-Squadders escorting a automaton to locals outwest.
86...6 makeshift graves with unmarked, weathered, crosses.
87...An abbonded Wells Fargo Stagecoach with $118.00 local dinero.
88...One broken, bloody Union scouting party of 3 soldiers passes the Posse heading north.
89...Local Minor Creature Feature.
90...Lone Preacher with no powers, just the will of God...
91...Duster: Cognition v. 7{+8 if sittin' still ot +2 if movin'}. In the distance you see a scrawny, emaciated squirrel.
92...4 Walkin’ Dead just amlessly meandering off the path...
93...A bounty hunter who is looking for someone the Posse knows, perhaps a recent acquaintance.
94...Dust Devil: A large pale snake with spines running all down its back slithers through the dirt. Suddenly it rears up, a cloud of dust forms around it as it twists and flails creating a whirlwind. The whirling Dust Devil moves towards the Posse...
95...2 Highwaymen with shotguns and a pistol backup robbing 2 average folk.
96...A lone bounty hunter who is looking for one of the Posse {Remember those Heroes’ enemy hindrances}...
97...Dust Devil. Not the critter, just a swirling cloud of "dust".
98...3 adventureres with one Harrowed among them.
99...1 Confederate deserter(s) hidin' in the brush...
100...A curious box lies on the road, a cognition test (7) is needed to spot it, should the Posse pick it up they can see its a puzzle box of some kind, a smarts test (13) is needed to figure out how to open it, what would be inside however would be up to the Marshal
101...A grizzly bear! This one is quite clever however; it understands human communication. If the Posse investigates, the bear has no intention of attacking at first sight, its just there, what’s up with the bear? Is it from a circus???
102...A river that isn't on any maps is now blocking the way for the Posse. Maybe something foul or greedy is waiting were the Posse might cross. And WHY is there a river here were the maps are so detailed?...
103...A small house/farmstead ablaze on the prairie, when the Posse arrives they find the burnt remains of a family layin’ outside the main house. A closer inspection reveals they were shot as they tried to run out of the inferno. Several hoof prints Lead off to the west...
104...A snowstorm! Even if the Posse happens to be smack right out into the dessert and its summer! If the Posse checks it out they can hear the wailing of a woman in the midst of the storm, what or who could it be?
105...A stagecoach has thrown a wheel and one of the passengers has suffered a severe wound to the head, if the Posse can lend aid they will be most appreciative.
106...1 Albino midgets jump out of the ground and try to drag them down and eat their liver (with farm beans and a good chianti)...
107...Buzzard on a Gut Wagon- The Posse comes upon a small wagon abandoned on the side of the road, inside one will find it has been piled with entrails. And sitting atop the whole mess like a King guarding his throne is a lone buzzard. Maybe the guts are human, maybe their not . . . just let the Posse wonder.
108...Cattle stampede! 200 head of cattle head straight for the Posse.
109...The Posse encounters a woman who is a run away mail order bride, she's headed the same direction as the heroes and ran away because of she was beat up by her fat, mean husband. Is she really who she says she is, or something more nefarious?
110...Keen Posse members see 8 vultures circling around...
111...Let there be light. Up a head a large explosion suddenly fills the skies with a light that makes the horses buck and throw and the Posse lose their bearings and go temporarily blind. The following cloud from the explosion rises miles into the heavens. THAT'S mad science for you.
112...Love's Traveling Goods: Professor Xavior Love and his wagon full of elixirs are traveling to the next town, but he'll gladly sell his wares to the Posse if the are willing. The elixirs could be legit, snake oil, or perhaps lethal and that's how he makes his money.
113...Snake oil: Up ahead is a wagon, driven by a single salesman. Inside are large amounts of cure all. Like every other non card playing huckster out there, this one is assured to work. After a few attempts at selling, he tries to see if the Posse will let him join up with them to the next town.
114...The Posse comes upon a holy hermit {Christian Blessed} who will offer to heal any wounded in the Posse. He will also break bread with them if they are camping soon and spend the evening telling stories.
115...The Posse stumbles upon an ancient burial mound, this could predate any known race and may contain ancient relics, old bones or something man was not meant to know.
116...The train derails. Maybe it's a hold up or just something sinister.
117...Today is a sunny day, not to hot and nothing really happens...
118...You can't go home again: Up ahead seems to be a small home, most likely a watering hole. Closer examination reveals the building to be abandoned, and in terrible shape
119...The Posse finds a half charred wagon and some bleached bones, if they search it through they find $12.00, should they investigate further they will find the wagon must have been burned ages ago and it would be impossible to find out who it was, but one could always assume...
120...In the clouds off to the east The Posse watchs in horror as a funnel cloud touches down and slowly moves south leaving a swatch of destruction in its wake!
121...A wind kicks up from the west, picking up in velocity, a wall of dust forms, heading straight for the Posse...
122...{In Town} The contents of a chamber pot spill across the road as someone tosses them out of an upper window.
123...The sky overhead darkens as clouds obscure the sun's waning light. With a blinding flash, lightning zigzags across the sky, shortly followed by the ominous roar of thunder..
124...A man is reaching for an elixir but he can't reach it. If the Posse helps him he turns into a La Croix Zombie ready for a fight. If not he dies.
125...The sounds of a crying child come from the thick underbrush. Vines, branches, and closely packed trees hinder travel. Two possible results for the rescuers: 1) They find a child being tormented by a Varmint, giving the Posse a chance to rescue it. 2) The sounds were a “mimic” to get the Posse to fall for an ambush.
126...A crackling roar can be heard coming from the south... FIRE!!! In escaping from a raging wildfire all sorts of beings are fleeing for their lives; and the Posse must cooperate with them or battle them to survive. Fire and fury is everywhere in a radical flight for life....
127...Meteor Strike!!! Above a blinding flash is seen as a streak of light blazes down from the constellations to the earth; a tremor below their feet and then an almighty bang that they feel in their stomachs as much as they hear in their ears...
128...A major bridge is out and traffic is backed up on both sides. When the Posse comes across the situation, a bandit raid is in progress, and they are caught in the crossfire.
129...Two groups of monsters are battling it out. It could be territorial aggression, rival tribes, or an invasion. You decide whether the monsters will ignore the Posse, divide their energy between enemy monsters and the Posse, or unite against the Posse...
130...A deep arroyo, its sandstone cliffs layered in sunset pastels and honeycombed with small holes that are home to a multitude of scorpions {small and large} and everything in between. Experienced Posse members will think nothing of small, normal stinging creatures, but hundreds of them at once can present a dangerous challenge.
131...The Posse meets someone who is on the way to dispose of a body. He might come from a nearby town where he killed someone and is looking for a quiet place to bury the body or get rid of it in other ways. The body might be concealed on a wagon. Or maybe he just started to dig a hole when the Posse meets him.
132...A random Posse member falls prey to some sort of trap and 3 hunter(s) pop(s) out. They are trying to trap a vicious wolf raiding the area. There is a $49.00 bounty on every wolf tongue - which can also be used to pay taxes {this actually is historical!}.
133...A cowpoke's horse throws a shoe {happens more often in real life then it happens in games}. The hombre must walk the horse back to town or risk having a lame horse. A variation can be a stone in the hoof.
134...An “unofficial” toll station and roadblock lies ahead. The local riff-raff have gone into business for themselves. They'll try to con the party out of a few copper or silver each + a toll for the animals of course...
135...A wandering tinker/toymaker - actually a thief and a good one at that {specializes in opening locks and finding and removing traps}. This guise gives him an excuse to carry a lot of the tools of the trade with good excuse. He is traveling from one city/town to another.
136...A mysterious rain of jellyfish: The players will bash their brains out trying to figure the significance. Enterprising players with food preservation skills may turn this into a money making opportunity...
137...Pilgrims on their way to a holy site ask the Posse for food and alms. For an added twist you could make them lepers or plague carriers...
138...The Posse stumbles across a tunnel. If they decide to explore it they find out it is much bigger than they thought, a tunnel city infested with local natives. A tunnel or cave in the middle of nowhere that no-one knows about...
139...A broken axle, old and rusty, lays half buried in the sand.
140...A broken shoe.
141...An old rope bridge spans a ravine. It looks like it may hold, then again it may not... It will collapse after 3 hombres cross.
142...Animal droppings containing human body parts—small tracks, big beast???
143...The Posse encounters a small hut a bit off of the trail. It's glowing with the hue of an evening fire. If they investigate they find it belongs to an eccentric painter.
144...The Posse encounters 4 poacher(s) who want to relate to the Posse and share glory stories.
145...The Posse fall into a trap with 3 hostile injuns and are forced to put differences aside to help each other.
146...4 Caves dot the face of the cliffs to the north.
147...3 mile(s) to the east an abandoned shack sits, derelict in the sun.
148...An unseasonally cold wind kicks up from the south west.
149...A discarded, tattered cloak flaps forlornly in the wind.
150...Not quite looking where he/she is going one of the cowpokes steps in a puddle.
151...In the wavering heat what was once a lush green waterhole can bee seen.
152...A silver dollar sits gleaming in the sun.
153...Large boot tracks in mud heading north west.
154...Pleasant voices seem to chant on the breeze...
155...A random hombre is stung by a bee.
156...Across the trail lays a huge, ancient tree, toppled by the wind, its roots outstretched as if reaching for the sky.
157...A hat rolls along in the wind.
158...Just off the beaten path sits a statue of some unidentified hero. Where did it come from and how did it get here?
159...A heard of wild horses frolic in a green field. A first sign of the Posse they scatter.
160...A caterpillar or grub-infested tree falls to the ground with an ear splitting crash.
161...A lush clearing filled with luxuriant ferns.
162...Squirrels chasing each other run across the path and up a tree.
163...Partial eclipse of the sun. An omen, a portent, or just a coincidence?
164...A punctured canteen lies, discarded in the path.
165...With a muffled crash a tree falls in the distance causing a cloud of squawking birds to fill the air.
166...The cry of a lone hawk echoes in the air...
167...Unusual patches of very lush growth periodically dot the horizon.
168...In the wavering heat a refreshing pool reflects the suns rays. But as the Posse approaches it evaporates.
169...A patch of bushes filled with blackberries sits just off the path.
170...A patch of berry bushes, picked clean, sit just off the trail.
171...Very friendly skunk tries to weave in and out of a cowpoke's legs.
172...An old, rotted horse carcass sits stinking in the sun.
173...A shallow hole dug in the middle of the trail.
174...An oasis, lush and green, beckons to the Posse.
175...A cloud shaped as holy symbol can bee seen on the horizon.
176...A large patch of brightly colored mushrooms sits in the shade.
177...A huge stick insect or mantis moves into the foliage of a nearby bush.
178...One of the Posse has an intense itch.
179...A moderate earthquake rolls across the land!
180...Large tree with the image of a face in the bark.
181...A pond has grown around a beaver's dam.
182...An old ring sticking out of the dirt.
183...The sweet smell of honeysuckle lingers on the wind.
184...Dead, rotted, burnt, headless body sits in the middle of the path.
185...HPL Loves SG is carved into a tree on the side of the road.
186...Smoke rises in distance {brush fire}...
187...A grove of of dead trees can be seen to the north.
188...Deer tracks heading south.
189...The thunder of falling rocks can be heard in the distance... Landslide???
190...A shopping list for a "potion" is found blowing in the breeze.
191...A Circus wagon trundles past, animal calls can be heard coming from inside...
192...A cloud of bats rise in the distance...
193...5 mile(s) to the south east a campfire can be seen flickering in the night.
194...About 4 mile(s) off the path to the west an abandoned campsite can be seen. The tents in tatters, flapping in the wind, the packs and crates ransacked. No sign of the occupants, dead or alive...
195...A swarm of bees converges on the Posse.
196...A carpet of spongy moss covers the path for 113 yards.
197...A rocky outcropping resembling a frog.
198...Large patch or hill of flowers.
199...One cowpoke's ears begin to ring...
200...A pair of small birds harass the Posse.
201...A raven lands in the path, stares at the Posse and then leaves.
202...A decaying body crawling with fleas lies just off the road.
203...Arid dust coats your mouth.
204...A shadow passes across the ground.
205...Active bees nest
206...A prairie dog scurries away...
207...The foliage at the side of the road parts and a wild boar charges towards the Posse.
208...A snake slithers down the path.
209...A dog slinks up to the Posse and begs for scraps.
210...A couple of rats are follow the posse.
211...The stench of skunk permeates the air.
212...9 coyotes fighting over a kill.
213...A shadow passes across the ground...
214...10 scattered and broken arrows or bolts.
215...An injured bird lies helpless in the grass.
216...Many thousands of stink bugs scurry over 'something'...
217...An injured squirrel lies helpless in a pile of rotting leaves.
218...A forgotten Bowie knife jammed into stump.
219...A large swarm of crickets scurries/buzzes around the Posse...
220...Rats are rummaging through Posse's food...
221...Howling/barking in the distance
222...An odd crystalline growth protrudes from the ground.
223...An earsplitting squawk shatters the silence.
224...A large animal can be heard crashing through the brush.
225...human tracks heading north west...
226...Huge spider's web.
227...A skeleton of a(n) human lays bleaching in the sun...
228...Smoke rises in distance...
229...Picked mushrooms laying on stump to dry.
230...An old rusty/worn pot lies discarded in the dust.
231...It is eerily quiet... Too quiet.
232...A Pair of small hedgehogs harass the Posse
233...Some bears are following you...
234...Burned area {trees standing, no undergrowth, all black}...
235...Large splatter of bird droppings.
236...A Posse member gets a dull, throbbing headache.
237...A broken, rotted wagon wheel lies forgotten.
238...Giant feather
239...Tree with bark chewed or clawed off the bottom.
240...To the north west a bog can be seen. There are 32 Will o'the Whisps dance around it...
241...A creek bars the Posse's path.
242...A ray of sun light hits a tree or bush.
243...A rainbow forms in the distance.
244...déjà vu: There is something familiar about all this...
245...Sentry animal (probably bird or rodent) raises an alarm.
246...2 hatched eggs lay below an abandoned nest.
247...A disabled wagon with nearby dead campfire...
248...A mother bear protecting cubs...
249...A Stick-figure voodoo doll found by the road.
250...A large bird (heron) seems to follow the Posse.
251...To the north east a lake gleams in the sun... Something stirs below the water's surface!
252...A stack of rocks piled high.
253...Fool's gold sparkles in a nearby stream.
254...A groundhog colony: big holes, mounds of dirt... That's an awfully big hole!
255...Fish bones.
256...Remnants of old campfire lay in a clearing to the north of the road.
257...To the north stands a grove of birch trees.
258...A patch of vines strangle an oak tree.
259...As the Posse tops the next hill a Ghost Town sits forlornly in the road...
260...An old grizzled prospector leading his mule passes the Posse.
261...The Posse witnesses a "Claimjumpin’"...
262...A plucky sidekick looking for a new "friend".
263...The outlaw trying to escape his past: The Posse is approached by a man, obviously down on his luck, looking for "honest work".
264...Sitting, unwatched, in an empty rocking chair on the boardwalk is a map of a hidden miner's fortune..
265...A wagontrain of earnest settlers heading west.
266...As the Posse settles for the night a church congregations singing "We'll shall gather at the river" wanders by heading for... the River!
267...A man walks by wearing' a hat with an Indian's arrow sticking out of it.
268...The Posse wanders the countryside and spies a white hat on a stick come into sight over a rock. As they stare in wonder a barrage of gunshots split the air as the stupid "black hats" uses up all their shots on the hat {they always fall for that one}.
269...A gunshot echoes, a hat flies into the air, another shot, the hat spins, another shot, and another, the hat stays afloat. Two more shots sound as the hat seems to dance. As the hat slowly descends the Posse notices something odd. THERE ARE NO HOLES IN THE HAT!!!
270...2 mile(s) to the north the Posse spots a wagon train formed into a circle and being defended against Indians surrounding it.
271...As the Posse approaches a homestead the head of the household entreats the Posse: A local land/cattle/rail baron has resorted to all manner of underhanded methods to drive them off their homestead, in hopes of swiping up their land for various reasons.
272...The Posse spies a relatively recent sign, pointing the way to a town. Curiously, it's not on any maps or established trade route. Is it a boomtown, which seem to pop up all over the place, or is there something sinister?
273...The Posse comes across a campsite, fire smoldering, supplies all spread out, but nobody's there. There seems to be a lack of any real tracks signifying any direction they left.
274...A strong wind blows by, kicking up dust and small debris, including a few saddle burrs.
275...A young woman is running on foot, being chased by a mob insisting that she's a witch.
276...A Stage Coach being chased down by 9 bandits.
277...As the Posse rides along the trail suddenly a(n) lantern come(s) falling out of the sky... It's the local fearmonger/Reckoners themselves' doing: the purpose of this 'prank' is to scare the Posse a little.
278...The ground beneath the Posse's feet suddenly gives way as a sink hole opens below them. With a yell of surprise the Posse plummets into a dank, dark abyss...
279...A Confederate army patrol catching wild horses.
280...An artist building a home.
281...A bounty hunter rounding up cattle.
282...Buffalo hunters hunting goat.
283...A troup of Confederate cavalry scouts raiding an Indian camp.
284...A Union cavalry patrol pursuing kidnapers.
285...3 Cowboys looking for a missing person.
286...A dentist dying of thirst.
287...A detective tracking a lost child.
288...A doctor looking for a homestead.
289...A drifter dying of thirst.
290...A gambler heading for town.
291...A gunfighter looking for lost treasure.
292...A gunsmith fleeing a posse.
293...A homesteader fleeing relatives.
294...An Indian family transporting payroll.
295...An Indian tribe raiding an Indian camp.
296...An Indian war party going to a hanging.
297...An itinerant preacher looking for work.
298...A lawyer prospecting.
299...A lone lawman transporting gold.
300...A lone outlaw tracking deer.
301...A miner transporting payroll.
302...Anun putting up a fence.
303...A photographer tracking a lost child.
304...A reporter transporting pilgrims.
305...A posse pursuing kidnapers.
306...3 soiled doves fleeing Indians.
307...10 railroad surveyors fleeing a lone lawman.
308...A rancher setting an ambush.
309...7 rustlers delivering a parcel.
310...19 settlers transporting payroll.
311...A sheepherderfleeing vigilantes.
312...A Texas ranger hiding out.
313...A traper transporting pilgrims.
314...A traveling merchant tracking a lost child.
315...7 unemployed cowboys pursuing rustlers.
316...14 vigilantes tracking a lost child.
317...A freight-wagon train building a home.
318...A writer raiding a homestead.
319...an Indian war party pursuing kidnapers.
320...Mailman on a velocipede: In the distance the Posse hears a low droning sound. Off to the south they can see a cloud of dust fast approaching. With a scream the horses begin to panic as the droning becomes a loud roar...
321...The Posse is in flight {running, or flying close to the earth} at a rapid speed when a flock of birds spring up into their path causing a “Bird Strike”. If on a “Mad Science” gadget the engines are fowled by “bird” and blow... Now they a need to land; the landing can be a rapid crash or more controlled safe attempt {a flock of large birds can change the severity of the strike. Such A flock would need to be dodged through, with more severe results in a strike}.
322...The Posse comes upon an old man, his skin cracked and leathery from exposure, compulsively balancing rocks upon one another in bizarre columns, each about 5' tall. The entire time, he's mumbling to himself about "building the egg tower for Pheenos." The enigmatic codger has created about thirty of these piles in geometric shapes throughout the dunes and sagebrush. He's harmless unless the Posse knocks over a column {somewhat likely}; then he'll attack them {however ineffectual that might be}. Should they ever manage to reason with him, they may find out that he's delusional from thirst and possibly suffering from latent mental defects {he hears voices, hallucinates}. How he managed to survive this long on his own is a mystery. Maybe there really is some minor spirit {"Pheenos"} toying with the old guy, using magic to keep him alive.
323...A tar pit has opened up in the midst of some valuable pasture land and prized sheep and cattle are getting sucked into the tar when they go down to drink the water from the surface. Now a variety of nasty predators and carrion eating creatures has moved into the neighborhood to take advantage of the situation. The Posse encounters the area accidentally or when they are asked by the townspeople to look for a missing shepherd. Once they get there, they are attacked by a series of predators. With each attack they risk being driven into the tar themselves. If they survive, do they just fence the tar pit off, or do they try to figure out where it came from?
324...The Posse sees a monolith carved with the words of several ancient languages. Non are able to interpret them. After the Posse has a chance to examine the monolith, everyone gets a very odd feeling. Nothing damaging, nothing strong enough to analyze. About 100 yards later, there are more monoliths with even more ancient languages carved on it. Pictograms, symbols, and other obscure carvings that can easily be misinterpreted. The odd feeling intensifies to a full blown magical effect emanating from the monolith. I f the Posse keeps looking for monoliths, they'll find that they ring a large area filled with dead or undead vegetation, mutated indigenous creatures, and other strangeness. An aura of dread permeates the place. Careful investigation will show this to be a magical fallout zone and the carvings will be warnings to stay away in every language known at the time--which will not include English.
325...One of the NPCs traveling with the Posse is so afraid of getting insect bites that he/she is convinced to buy insect repellant. Only it's musk from a rutting male monster. The attacks start when the group passes into appropriate terrain. Until the Posse finds out about the musk and eliminate it on EVERYTHING, female monsters in heat will attack them repeatedly, going after the character with the musk. This is the clue that something is not quite right.
326...The Posse gets hopelessly lost. Point out that landmarks don't look right, the river bed that was supposed to be there isn't there, the rock outcropping that looks like a frog's head is missing, there are several sets of tracks with different animals, numbers, types... The age of trail is wrong... etc. Blame it on poor navigation, a Maze spell lingering in the area, a guide who is utterly incompetent, an incorrect map.
327...The Posse is trekking thru the wilderness and come to a ravine. A wooden-rope bridge once spanned the chasm, but now only one side of the bridge remains--basically two ropes, one 3 feet above the other spanning the gulf. The Posse can go around, but it will add a day or two to their trek. They can scale down into the ravine, but are faced with the prospect of crossing the raging river that runs thru it. Any hombre using the rope to cross will be attacked by 3 wall crawlers by day or 4 Devil Bats at night. The cowpoke on the rope can fight but takes a -4 to all attacks, plus, if fighting, he must make a climb check or fall into the raging waters below.
328...The Posse comes to a rocky crevasse. While not impassable, it will require careful navigation. The crevasse is the home of a small collection Wall Crawlers. The encounter should only appear to be a technical challenge, clambering up and down rocks, transporting their gear without breakage, etc. The whole time that they are engaged in this, they are being watched, and when they are at their most vulnerable 2 Wall Crawlers will attack. Beating off an attack while scattered over 200 vertical feet of rock will certainly add a certain level of tension!
329...The Posse comes across a shallow lake with numerous small, grassy hills in the middle. In reality this is an ancient and forgotten burial ground that was flooded in some past century. A great place to meet undead as well as water-dwellers, set it next to an inviting swamp and populate it with Will o’ the Wisps. The water makes for a series of small, confined battle areas and will make any encounter more tactically challenging.
330...A bunch of women from a nearby town gathering berries/mushrooms/truffles spots the Posse. They can {if treated politely} provide a lot of local rumors and information. The downside is they are horrible gossips and by tomorrow mid-day EVERYONE in the region will have heard of the Posse... and not everything heard may be correct "Yes, I heard about you lot... they say you are deserters from the army...".
331...The Posse encounters singing or talking plants, animals, and stones {a magical oddity}. A powerful magic relic is buried nearby and the magical radiations leaking from the item have had this side effect. If it's removed from the immediate area the special effect will gradually fade. If it's returned to the area, the effect re-occurs. Other variations include blue trees or pink shrubs in a small area....
332...A wandering minstrel: He'll ask to accompany the party for a brief time; “safety in numbers and all that”. He'll pay for his food with songs and jokes and stories along the way. This might be fun for the players but the added noise will act to increase the chance of wilderness encounters unless the Posse tells him to shut up. The musician will not rob the party at all {someone will always be suspicious of him anyway} and may be able to pass on rumors, local history etc.
333...4 or 5 minutes of faint {but growing louder} banging can be heard. A rustling and a series of squeals warns the party a minute before an enraged boar charges into the Posse’s midst and attacks them in a mad rage! The local Rich Land Owners are out hunting for boar and have their beaters out scaring up the game. If the Posse kills the boar the beaters and the Rich Land Owners will accuse them of poaching...
334...In the hills outside a town the Posse spies a bunch of men in ragged clothing and cloaks beating up a shepherd and "stealing" his sheep. The guys in ragged clothing are a local posse apprehending a rustler - hopefully the Posse will ask questions first. They could also {if you want to be really evil} be real bandits impersonating the local law. The shepherd, long since beaten senseless, will be in no condition to say otherwise.
335...A wall of thick fog glides silently but very quickly through the trees/landscape towards The Posse. Is it simply a cloud moving over the mountain or something more sinister? Quite suddenly, the birds in the trees and the rustling in the grass seemed to stop and the Posse just watches in amazement as this white wall comes through devouring the landscape, and them along with it...
336...On a dark and windy day, the Posse rests upon a ridge. When all at once a mighty herd of red eyed cows come plowin' through the ragged skies and up a cloudy draw. Their brands are still on fire and their hooves are made of steel their horns are black and shiny and their hot breath burns the Posses’ faces... A bolt of fear drives through the Posse as the heard thunders through the sky, for the riders can be seen coming hard and their mournful cry echoes. Their faces are gaunt their eyes are blurred and their shirts all soaked with sweat, they're ridin' hard to catch that herd...
337...The Posse finds an isolated, flood-ravaged town; the remaining townspeople beg for their help in rebuilding. There is nothing sinister going on -- the farm town has just been extremely unlucky over the years. Due to the weather-related deaths and emigration, there aren't enough able-bodied people left to rebuild the town. And there is much to be done here: rotted houses need rebuilding, people still need rescuing from the deeper parts of the flood, walls to prevent future floods need to be built, people need healing, etc. The town's entire crop was lost as well, so the Posse needs to secure enough food for the town to survive the coming winter. Or should the Posse concentrate on helping the remaining townspeople move to a less accident prone town instead? Some people can be pretty stubborn when asked to move...
338...A flock of black ravens lift up off a corpse as the Posse moves into the clearing. The body was previously a human female whose withered, desiccated form now shrouds a small, stone chest. Her lavishly decorated fine clothing still shine as though she had only put it on the day before. From the look of her flesh though, she has been here for months, perhaps longer. Her dry, skeletal arms grimly clasp a chest and her horrified death mask looks up and to the left, over her shoulder. The chest remains unopened. The small engravings on the stone chest depict a beautiful woman's face with striking red hair. Touching the corpse will cause a green light to animate from within the chest and a green colored astral serpent then appears over the intended victim's left shoulder...
339...Within a valley deep in the forest the group notices movement below them and hear large clicking noises. Looking down into the base of the valley they further take in that the movement is erratic; however they cannot make out what exactly it is due to the thick overgrowth. Moving closer, it appears to be possibly a giant centipede creature traveling up and down the bottom of the valley. Its movements indicate that it is trapped. An easy kill or perhaps a rescue. Exploring the surrounding area reveals at the end of the valley there is a small, hidden shelter that appears to be occupied.
340...A breathtaking young woman with burnished bronze flesh bathes in a spring. Upon her breast she wears only an ornate ruby necklace that flashes with fiery light. Her golden eyes sparkle with intelligence and yet she seems oblivious to her surroundings, lost in the moment and completely enjoying the warm spring. On approach, her eyes are closed as she stretches out in pleasure. Upon noticing the group she screeches. She and the spring instantly change into a rotten tree log and swamp hole. The ruby necklace hanging off the rotten log is all that remains from the previous scene...
341...A shadow haunts, follows, or tries to warn the Posse. In an attempt to communicate the shadow makes gestures, signals, or motions; such as drawing a weapon to show the Posse that they are being attacked from behind, or pointing the way to go {or not go}, or acting silly or mad; or reenacting the poor shadow's last minutes on earth as to the effect of how it died.
342...The Posse encounters a farm that appears to have been raided by injuns. The Posse is riding along a country road when they spot in the distance the first farm they've seen in days. They also notice a thick column of black smoke rising into the air, and the foul smell of burnt flesh on the wind. Getting closer they see two injuns standing next to the small fire in the farm field. When the injuns see the Posse they ready their weapons, a tomahawk, and a two-pronged spear. These injuns are the actual owners of the farm. They are peaceful, and fled their tribe to live a solitary existence off the land. The father and son are standing next to the burning remains of their only cow, which died from illness. They speak very, very little English, and will defend themselves if attacked. There are two females in the nearby farmhouse. The mother watches her husband and son from the kitchen window (witnessing the arrival of the Posse with fear) while her young daughter plays on the floor behind her.
343...The Black Obelisk attacks all magic items in it vicinity. Once in contact {even through clothes...}, any magic item is then absorbed by the Black Obelisk and another random magic item is thrown out. At 100 yards, the pull begins to appear. If a character were to possess a magic item, he would slightly feel the pull. At 10 yards, a strength check might be done in order to resist, and at less then 1 yard, only critical may save you. However, the Black Obelisk is now so full of items that each time a new one is absorbed, the oldest is thrown out {you might say spat out, an unlucky character may well be knocked out...}.
344...The Posse encounters a mobile town: In a world of lurking terrors and hideous monsters, the Town of Wanderpark once was forced to relocate. The move was so successful; they decided to continue their gypsy life in grand style. This is more than a roving band of gypsies. Great teams of oxen pull huge wooden wagons. It makes a formidable impression on wandering monsters, especially when one gets run over.
345...The Posse encounters 3 guys on the road, 1 of each size, a midget, a fat one and a very tall one, they are really bandits, level 3, and if a gunfight should ensue they would stand so that the midget is in the front, the fat in the middle and the tall one behind, towards the Posse, or their opponents, so if the Posse fires at them and aim for the tall one and hit him in the legs they hit the midget in the head!
346...The Posse comes across a passing circus troupe, what they don’t know is that many of its freaks are abominations of a traveling "mad" mad scientist, if they should investigate they may find out that the circus isn’t about fun and games but rather a quite grotesque one, with piece mail twins, flesh spiders and various other "golems", with a Mad Scientist pulling at the strings...
347...The Posse hears some groans of pain coming from some brush nearby. If investigated they will find an old man, who's dying from a shotgun wound to the guts, with his last ounce of life he gives the Posse a map and tells them that its the Lost McCaffy Ghost Rock mine, then he gives up the ghost. The old man in reality is a well preserved walking dead and the map leads to an old played out mine with other undead waiting to ambush the Posse.
348...The Posse meets a traveling Nun with a guitar strapped to her back, she is Sister Mary the singing Nun. She offers to play some music for the Posse. If they take her up on it they must all make a Vigor (15) roll or be stunned for 3 rounds as she lets out the most God awful music they have ever heard, with a singing voice that makes a banshee sound soothing.
349...The Posse sees a large hairy man-like creature run out of the brush towards them making a God awful yell. This creature is a gorilla that has escaped from a traveling circus. If the party has never seen a gorilla before they might assume that it's an evil creature, but if they can capture it and return it unharmed then they will be paid $300.
350...The Posse sees a large tree in the distance, and closer inspection reveals that there are 2 corpses that have been hanged in it. Curious types may try to investigate further, and that’s where the fun begins. As the Posse approaches, the tree makes sneak rolls and uses its "tendrils" to loop around the Posse's ankles, and once it has them in the air, makes fightin' rolls to loop their necks. If the Posse notices something strange before the tree attacks {like several sorts of weapons littering the ground around the tree from previous victims} and backs off, the tree will start to flail at the Posse with the "nooses" and hit them with the "corpses." Further, it can throw bodies of prior victims at the Posse from a distance, which being walkin' dead, can then pursue the Posse further.
351...Reverse Time Capsule: The Posse sees something sticking of ground if they dig it up they find a metal box, inside this box is a modern day book with no title. The first person to touch the book will see horrible visions of the future with cities wiped out and undead roaming the streets, mutants and doombringers, cats and dogs living together (basically a glimpse at Hell on Earth). The book immediately falls into ashes that the wind takes it away. The character must make a Guts TN 15 roll or roll on the mad scientist table for an insanity. However they also gain +2 level in Academia: Occult.
352...Buffalo stampede!!! The rumble of the approaching buffalo can heard by everyone, and the roar quickly grows louder and louder... in the distance the Posse can see a cloud of dust that grows thicker and rises higher as they came closer. The thunder their hoofs is so loud that Posse has to shout to be heard. The buffalo loom on the horizon. They run shoulder to shoulder in a solid mass nearly half a mile wide...
353...Indian Burial Ground: Off to the west several mounds decorated with totums dot the horizon. Upon further investigation the Posse finds that some of the graves have been desecrated. If they investigate for more than 2 minutes voices may be heard crying in the wind. If there is a Indian among them he/she hears the “ancestors” cry for vengeance and is compelled to recover the Warriors’ remains {Spirit v. 10} and return them to their restin’ place {as a one point Obligation}...
354...So, it's late at night, and you're the guy on watch. You've had a bit too much coffee and that bush over there really looks like it needs waterin'. The next thing the posse hears as they're waking up is "AAAaaaAAAaaaAAAaaa..." !?! There was a sinkhole behind the bush that opens up into a small cavern complex!


In Town
1...Very friendly cat weaves in and out of one of the Posse members' legs.
2...The stench of a ripe outhouse hangs in the wind...
3...An old timer runs up to a random Posse member yelling "Dan? Dan!!! Ya ain't changed a bit in nigh on ta 15 years. It's like seen' a ghost..."
4...A bee stings a nearby child who blindly runs to a Posse member for soothing.
5...A messenger collides with the Posse and numerous papers start blowing around .
6...A fishmonger/fruit seller dumps a cart of rotten fish/fruit for scavengers to clean up.
7...Someone appears/disappears in the shadows of an alley.
8...A weary traveler is mobbed by adoring children...
9...Three performers in masks surround the Posse and perform a ring dance around them.
10...People begin cheering for the Posse.
11...A crazy man points at Posse's equipment and lists its magical properties--and he's right!
12...Political activists on parade beckon the Posse to join .
13...A person passed out from too much drink, looted, with writing on his forehead...
14...Two religious processions meet head-on...
15...A woman drops a basket of fruit--can the Posse dodge before squashing some?
16...A beggar asks for handouts.
17...A diseased old man resting in a chair asks for help standing up.
18...A pickpocket plies his trade, but not very well.
19...A chatty bard walks alongside the Posse repeating random bits of conversation.
20...A tramp approaches the Posse for minor scam.
21...Private guards flank a door.
22...Clothing tossed out a window during a lovers' spat lands on a Posse member.
23...A criminal in custody is marched through the streets.
24...A parent scolds a child as he/she drags the child down the street.
25...An hombre is solicited by a prostitute.
26...A hawk dives out of the sky, snagging a gopher near the Posse.
27...A local teen approaches the Posse wanting to join them in their adventures.
28...A street vendor asks the Posse "Please watch this cart for me, just for a minute."
29...As the Posse turn a corner they stumble upon lover's quarrel.
30...A person walks by with living snakes wrapped around his/her shoulders
31...A politician on a box of soap during a speech makes eye contact with a Posse member.
32...A man gets down on one knee and proposes, drawing a crowd and knotting traffic.
33...A horse thief hangs from a gallows.
34...A depressed musician asks sing-song, rhetorical questions of the Posse.
35...A beggar with his hand down a drain hole brings up a ring and immediately asks the Posse to buy it.
36...Singing floats out of nearby building.
37...A known crime boss sits and reads while sweating shoe shine boy buffs and casts the Posse worried looks.
38...A couple of codgers bicker over a chess match.
39...A salesman offers great Discounts on holy water.
40...Someone stomps in nearby puddle splashing the Posse!
41...A little boy confronts the Posse and shoots them with an imaginary gun.
42...An escaped pet rodent rolling around the street in its ball bumps up against a Posse's leg.
43...3 Dogs chasing each other run by.
44...The Local 'lawdog' follows you for 8 blocks.
45...A door bursts open as 10 drunks fill the street in a fist fight.
46...A strong, young, healthy beggar asks for "spare change."
47...A flock of chickens peck at the street.
48...Large flock of birds flies acrobatics, then darts away.
49...Children pester Posse.
50...Muff, the town drunk, points muzzely at one of the Posse and slurs, "hey don' I know ya???"
51...A roof tile falls, barely missing an hombre...
52...A few sun bleached papers blow by.
53...A food fight breaks out in a nearby eatery.
54...A paint can spills from above and splashes Posse.
55...Graffiti on building
56...A round faced boy looking for his pet frog "Trevor"...
57...A woman with too much fashion going on breaks her shoe and stumbles into a Posse member.
58...Kids playing hide 'n seek.
59...A feral cat is trailing the party.
60...A pimp accuses on of the Posse: "you messin' with my woman?"
61...4 emaciated children tug at the sleeves of the Posse.
62...A rich man is carried past in a sedan chair.
63...One of the Posse steps in a pile of "poo"!!!
64...One of the Posse has an allergic reaction to an exotic spice/pollen in the air.
65...Crow squawks repeatedly as the Posse approaches.
66...Two hooded people whisper on street.
67...Cats chasing each other dart past the Posse.
68...A ray of light seems to surround one person...
69...An overturned cart causes a gridlock.
70...Religious pilgrims with vow of silence are jeered at.
71...Mime attack!!!
72...A passing child drops her pottery and cries.
73...A body is tied to a stake, it is still smoking...
74...A dangerous fish in a tank displayed in a nearby window bumps loudly against the glass.
75...An injured mounted scout charges through the street.
76...A religious leader and his incense burning retinue cuts across the Posse's path.
77...A young consumer is watched closely.
78...A cop/guard walking a beat.
79...A dangerous-looking raccoon has claimed an apple cart as his merchant beseeches Posse.
80...A visitor stops to ask for directions to an interesting place.
81...Parade in honor of the town's hero.
82...A couple of Ferners arguing in their own language.
83...A dead ox causes a gridlock.
84...Someone bumps an hombre's pack/wallet... Nothing's missing.
85...Posse passes an alleyway blocked by a new spider web.
86...An angry customer argues with a shopkeeper.
87...A small bird egg drops out of a nest from above and lands intact nearby.
88...One person chasing another.
89...A spoiled brat begs his/her parent for a toy.
90...A street vendor hawking: rock candy {$0.15}; stick of dynamite {$1.5}; whisky {$0.45}; hair pins {pack of 100} {$0.2}; men's shaving kit {$2}; stick of dynamite {$1.5}; hats {$2}; poker chips {$0.2}; shovel {$1.3}; Laudanum {$10} & hot corn {$0.07}.
91...A cat is stuck in a tree and mewls at the Posse...
92...The heavenly aroma of home cooking hangs in the air.
93...The Posse stumbles onto a pair of amorous teens.
94...A troup of 4 well-armed adventurers pass by...
95...The street cleaner sweeps by...
96...A distracted senior totters straight for the Posse...
97...A garbage bin rattles; inside is a tied sack of kittens.
98...Street preacher accosts the Posse.
99...A sheet of music blows into a Posse's face.
100...A rubbery mass sticks to the boot of a cowpoke {gum}.
101...A fish vendor bends over to vomit and people point and laugh.
102...As the Posse enters town a pair of gunslingers engage in a "Duel at High Noon"!
103...A poster proclaiming 'Poker Tournament: $31.00 buy in. Every Wednesday Night at the T-Bar Saloon!'
104...The school marm saunters down the street carrying an armload of books.
105...The Sheriff stands on his "soapbox" entreating the townsfolk to form a posse {becoming deputized} and riding after the "Hole in the Wall Gang".
106...Gunshots are fired and the cry of "Bank Robbery!!!" shatters an otherwise peaceful day.
107...Piano player stops playing when the bad guy enters: The sound of the Saloon piano can be heard as the Posse wanders the streets, suddenly, and unexpectedly it stops!
108...As the Posse "wanders" a surly fellow approaches: "We don't like yer kind here!"
109...The sheriff holds off a lynch mob intent on dragging off his prisoner.
110...A little kid is pulled out from in front of a charging stagecoach.
111...A little kid asks the Posse what they are doing in town.
112...Upon arriving in town, people stare at the Posse from every window, door, balcony and street corner.
113...An undertaker is lurking nearby. He points to each member and correctly guesses their height and weight.
114...An 'Informant' seems to know all about someone, something, or someplace and is willing to share it with the Posse... For a Price {$8}.
115...As a pair of shootists exit the saloon, the street clears, window shades are drawn, and closed signs are put up. A gun-fight is about to go down.
116...The posse witness a Jail Break as someone pulls the bars out of the stone wall by tying it his horse to it and galloping off.
117...A street fight involving someone being thrown/dropped/tossed/dunked into a horse trough.
118...The boards in front of the General Store creaks as the Posse walk across them.
119...A codger spits into a Spittoon. "Sputtttttt-tang... HeHeHe Bullzeye!"
120...A little kid approaches one of the Posse, "Hey mister, can I watch yer horse fer ya? Fitty cents!"
121...A British/Russian noble, who obviously has more cash than he can ever spend, saunters down the street showing off his riches...
122...A group of minor 'toughs' force someone to dance by shooting at their feet.
123...A group of kids playing on a gallows.
124...As the Posse enters town someone crashes through the big window of the local saloon during a brawl.
125...A "Geezer", follows a young and handsome "Dude": "Yeah, now yer talkin', Roy!"
126...A "Geezer", follows a young and handsome "Dude" pointin': "They went that-a-way, Tex!"
127...A "Geezer" carryin' a rope, follows a young and handsome "Dude": "Let's string 'im up, Gene."
128...As the Posse enters town they notice that the House of Ill Repute is the first business on the main street they pass...
129...While stayin' in town the Posse notices that the House of Ill Repute seems to do quite well financially, although none of the townsfolk would ever consider actually going there.
130...The House of Ill Repute employs about two dozen reasonably good looking girls dressed in silk corsages.
131...The House of Ill Repute is run by a fat mother hen, who may {or may not} have been one of the reasonably good looking girls about twenty years ago.
132...A gunfight ensues; a beer barrel gets shot up, The Posse has to stop to take a drink.
133...The town's well meaning deputy, who is an outgoing geezer "Stumpy" asks the Posse to help him apprehend one of the town's toughs.
134...12 soldiers chasing someone.
135...An artist selling 4 horse(s).
136...A bounty hunter putting up a building.
137...A buffalo hunter looking for a fight.
138...A Confederate cavalry scout begging.
139...A Confederate cavalry officer mistakes one of the Posse for someone else.
140...A cowboy putting up a building.
141...A dentist begging.
142...A detective getting drunk.
143...A doctor loading supplies onto a wagon.
144...a drifter touting a champion boxer: Johnny MacSweeny.
145...A gambler insulting settlers.
146...A gunfighter holding a shooting contest.
147...A craftsman chasing someone.
148...A granger delivering mail.
149...A reservation Indian setting an ambush.
150...An Indian woman chasing a spooked horse.
151...An Indian fugitive talking about the "Old Days"...
152...A preacher hiring a guide.
153...A lawyer insulting Indians.
154...A deputy sheriff putting up a building.
155...A mugger bringing in oar for assaying.
156...A miner hiring a guide.
157...A nun holding a shooting contest.
158...A photographer looking for a fight.
159...A bully chasing someone.
160...4 soiled doves insulting settlers.
161...A railroad executive putting up a building.
162...A rancher hiding out.
163...A drifter begging.
164...A pilgrim scouting robbery targets.
165...A sheephearder buying dynamite...
166...A stage guard putting up a building.
167...A stage driver buying horses.
168...A Texas Ranger rounding up truants.
169...A trapper chasing a spooked horse.
170...A merchant herding cattle through town.
171...A drunk begging.
172...A vigilante hiring a guide.
173...A teamster delivering mail.
174...A novelist bringing in oar for assaying.
175...The Posse has a new admirer whom they must persuade to stay behind. One or more of the Posse has attracted the attention of a star-struck kid who wants to grow up to be “just like them”. This can have some benefits in town, of course, where the child might be induced to carry messages, run errands, and other relatively harmless pursuits, but is likely to lead to trouble when the Posse leaves - this kid is really too young to go out on adventures. The kid has to be persuaded not to follow them, for his/her own safety...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lord Skudley
Heroic


Joined: 13 Mar 2006
Posts: 1391
Location: The Padded Cell Within My Mind...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheCapedCrusader wrote:
Thank you! And in gratitude, I went through and separated out the (In Town) encounters into their own list. What can I say, I play with databases all day long... There were two that were mis-numbered, so there are 354 Wilderness + 175 In Town for a a total of 529.


WOW! I guess I now have no reason nor to modify it so that you may choose a catigory.

Thx,
LS
_________________
Proud co-creator of the 1,000+ Random Encounter Generator found here!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Edivdrone
Seasoned


Joined: 22 Sep 2007
Posts: 233
Location: New England

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were to suggest categories to split them up into, I would put forth three major categories: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. Just a thought.
_________________
I can do all things through Christ who stengthens me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Noshrok Grimskull
Legendary


Joined: 07 Nov 2004
Posts: 3833
Location: I'm out of my mind, but I'll be back later

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edivdrone wrote:
If I were to suggest categories to split them up into, I would put forth three major categories: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. Just a thought.

Laughing
Nice idea. I like it.
_________________
"If you think I'm crazy, you should see the people I'm locked up with." - Steamdriven

"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes 'ding' when there's stuff." - The Doctor (Doctor Who)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum