Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chase rules/Space Combat in Slipstream

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sadric
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Chase rules/Space Combat in Slipstream Reply with quote

Until now I have slightly ignored the chase rules.
But as I like to play a slipstreamgame over the christmass-holiday I have examined them closer. There isnt mentioned a Distance, But I guess 50 per step is correct?
A Swivel mounted Heat Ray has a range of: 20/40/60
This mean If the two ships are on the same "step" (half distance=25) you have middle range with -2, and one step means you have long range with -4.
Gravition beam and rocket guns have 30/60/90. sounds a little bit better. Smile
Same step means no mali
one step means mali of -2
but two step means the rocket/beam end 10 yards before my ship!!??

I would like to see a list of mali for different steps.
If I go with the 50/step, this should look like this.

Swivel Mounted
Graviton Beam 30/60/90
same step - 1.step -2 2.step-out of range!
Heat Ray 20/40/60
same step -2! 1.step-4! 2.step-out of range!
Ray Gun 50/100/200
same step - 1.step - 2.step -2 3-4.step-4
Rocket Gun 30/60/90
same step - 1.step -2 2.step-out of range!

especially the bold ones are somewhere between unclear and "this gun is totally useless!"
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Chase rules/Space Combat in Slipstream Reply with quote

Sadric wrote:
But as I like to play a slipstreamgame over the christmass-holiday I have examined them closer. There isnt mentioned a Distance, But I guess 50 per step is correct?

I'd probably go with 20 as the range increment.

www.peginc.com
Harshax
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe 50 is the increment mentioned at the beginning of the setting rules chapter for slipstream. Not sure, don't have the book with me.
Sadric
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:35 am    Post subject: Re: Chase rules/Space Combat in Slipstream Reply with quote

Clint wrote:
Sadric wrote:

I'd probably go with 20 as the range increment.

20 would make some more sense, but would make nose guns with a long range of 300 or even 400 pretty powerfull.
By the abstract chase rules it not very importantwhat the range increment is, its important what the mali is. The problem i have is the short range of some guns compart to the long range of others.
50 per step mean that I have some that could by a hairs breadth not fire at the second increament, but a nose ray gun coold fire 8 increments.
20 per step clears most swivel guns problems, but nearly all of the nose guns could fire over the whole field, some of them without even getting in long range.

I guess I have to make a house rule, without numbers for increments and a list for each gun, with mali per range that feel right.

I hate to make houserules in Savage Worlds. Wink
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Chase rules/Space Combat in Slipstream Reply with quote

Sadric wrote:
50 per step mean that I have some that could by a hairs breadth not fire at the second increament, but a nose ray gun coold fire 8 increments.
20 per step clears most swivel guns problems, but nearly all of the nose guns could fire over the whole field, some of them without even getting in long range.

I'm not sure I understand. There are 3 basic nose guns, and their Short ranges are 40, 75, and 100 for one (which has the lowest damage and AP of them).

So using a Range Increment of 20, the 40 can fire at Short Range within 2 increments, the 75s within 3 increments, and the 100 within 5.

Only the one weapon with a base 100 range would never deal with Long Range during a chase, and again, it has the lowest damage of them all.

The point kind of being that in a chase, there should potentially be some weapons that could have a field of fire that covers the entire chase. To avoid them, you have to escape the chase (or destroy/disable the attacker). This gives three basic weapons (one swivel-mounted) the ability to fire at any target in a chase at up to their maximum Long range and just one that maxes out at Medium range at 6 range increments.

As a side note, keep in mind, that nose-mounted weapons can only be fired on targets in front of the attacker, so they are kind of limited if you are the one being chased. Wink

Anyway, didn't understand, so I thought I'd clarify the reasoning for using 20.

www.peginc.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: