Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pepper Spray/ Mace

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WickedRoland
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Pepper Spray/ Mace Reply with quote

How would you handle Pepper Spray in combat?

Here's my ideas so far but looking for help.

Pepper Spray Range 1/2/4 Damage: Special Cost: 10$ Weight: ---
Shots: Not sure

So the effects I was thinking about were... Vigor roll at -4 or be blinded for 1d6 minutes. If the roll is made they still receive a -2 to notice rolls and attack rolls for 1d6 minute or until the solution can be removed.

Application is where i'm having the most difficulty. Should it require a called shot to the eyes (-6) or just to the head (-2)?

It just has to touch them so +2 bonus from Touch attack?

Also Pepper spray needs to be less accurate at a distance as it fans out, simular to a shot gun blast. How would you represent this?

With range penalties and called shot's even with a touch attack bonus it seems pretty difficult for someone to use when it was designed to protect women with no special training in it's use.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.
UmbraLux
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd probably handle it as an Agility trick with a +2 bonus. I might be convinced to add a -2 modifier to Spirit rolls by a shaken pepper spray victim. Still mentally debating that one though...
Wiggy
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Pepper Spray/ Mace Reply with quote

WickedRoland wrote:

So the effects I was thinking about were... Vigor roll at -4 or be blinded for 1d6 minutes. If the roll is made they still receive a -2 to notice rolls and attack rolls for 1d6 minute or until the solution can be removed.

Application is where i'm having the most difficulty. Should it require a called shot to the eyes (-6) or just to the head (-2)?

Also Pepper spray needs to be less accurate at a distance as it fans out, simular to a shot gun blast. How would you represent this?

With range penalties and called shot's even with a touch attack bonus it seems pretty difficult for someone to use when it was designed to protect women with no special training in it's use.

Here's my take...

Range 1/2/4, Shooting roll required but +2 bonus at Short Range.
Effects: Shaken for 1d6 rounds (as per Stun monstrous ability).
SlasherEpoch
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling a 1 on the Shooting roll means the user is hit instead. My cop friend tells me this is a common problem.

Evil Wig Enterprises Minion #15 - "The
Machete"
WickedRoland
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Pepper Spray/ Mace Reply with quote

Wiggy wrote:
WickedRoland wrote:

Here's my take...

Range 1/2/4, Shooting roll required but +2 bonus at Short Range.
Effects: Shaken for 1d6 rounds (as per Stun monstrous ability).

Thats very simple solution Wiggy but from researching it typically lasts 30 to 45 minutes. I've personally seen two cousin's get sprayed at a club and I can assure you it lasted atleast that long. Of course I suppose for a game like this that is the FFF way to do it.

Although I may would do it as +2 bonus to all ranges...as the farther away the more it spreads and manufacturers promise they are good up to 25 feet.

Anyway..thanks for the help, gives me something to think about.
marshal kt
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it also depends on the target.

i remember years ago, the late 1970's - early 1980's, 1 of the guys git his hands on somne mace, supposedly it was the 'military grade'.
we were all sitting, well standing and leaning, around a small campfire.. more drunk than sober. he had some and wa secretly spracying all of us. since it was cold, well cold for south florida, we had jackets on. we all got sprayed on the handds, face, lips. we all were itching and burning..but then again we all were so toasted, that we didn't notice it at 1st.

the nxt day we all had red faces, like from a bad sunburn.. and it was slightly painful.

so, i'd suggest that vs normal targets it'd b ok, but vs those on drugs, alcohol or with mind training discipline, it'd have a vigor or will save.
Demonicuss Krinn
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking as a guy who got sprayed with the "military grade" stuff (during part of military training), depending on what you get hit with, it can seriously mess up your day. I got sprayed in early afternoon, and I was still messed up (puffy eyes, sensitive to light, stuff like that) until the next day. Then again, my NCO got hit, and he said he didn't feel a thing - until he got to the wash station. Then it started to burn.

Mechanics wise, I agree with Marshal Kit - those with altered mindsets (be it on drugs or some sort of mental training) get a chance to save.
marshal kt
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm surprized markus hasn't chimed in.

i have a character in a sw babylon 5 game on rondak's portal tha thas mace.

here are the stats:

1 Chemical Mace
1 pound
Range 1/2/4.
Target has to make a Vigor Roll or be shaken. Each can contains enough for 6 doses. The trigger may be pressed down longer to release more of the substance at once. The target suffers a -1 penalty per additional dose (maximum -4), but gains a bonus of +2 per range increment.
Wiggy
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Pepper Spray/ Mace Reply with quote

WickedRoland wrote:

Thats very simple solution Wiggy but from researching it typically lasts 30 to 45 minutes. I've personally seen two cousin's get sprayed at a club and I can assure you it lasted atleast that long. Of course I suppose for a game like this that is the FFF way to do it.

I was just aiming for the FFF solution in combat. 1d6 rounds Shaken is probably the deathknell for any Extra Smile

How about a level of Fatigue per spray as well for simplicity? Exhausted maximum (I don't know if mace can actually knock you out, but it doesn't sound like it). Recovery is every 30 minutes.

I guess it also depends on your setting. Modern gritty is going to be different to pulp action.
screenmonkey
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Pepper Spray/ Mace Reply with quote

Wiggy wrote:

I guess it also depends on your setting. Modern gritty is going to be different to pulp action.

It's all modern gritty baby, where else would we use pepper spray? Pulp? No way, just knock his lights out with a hard right cross. Wink
Wiggy
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stranger things have happened Smile
SlasherEpoch
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Pepper Spray/ Mace Reply with quote

screenmonkey wrote:
Wiggy wrote:

It's all modern gritty baby, where else would we use pepper spray? Pulp? No way, just knock his lights out with a hard right cross. Wink

Dames and mad scientists use pepper spray.

Mad scientist dames are even worse.

Evil Wig Enterprises Minion #15 - "The
Machete"
WickedRoland
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is actually for a Supers game...but guess it's a gritty one since dead Supers stay dead.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: