Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

playing a female character

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ciary
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: playing a female character Reply with quote

hey,

I know the title of this topic might sound strange since there is no difference between male and female characters in any sw setting but i had a few questions if there are any rules about:

time of the month
i don't think there are any rules about this but i'm just asking. i was thinking about, you get the 'mean' hindrance during one week every month and in return you can get whatever you can get with one raise. but you only have it during that period. any other (or official) suggestions

pregnancy
this was the most important question since i began to wonder about this because my female, very attractive, charismatic barmaid in rippers got pregnant. i don't really know if there are any rules about pregnancy but that's why i asked. any (official or non-official) suggestions?
JackAce
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has been a similar discussion a few months ago.

Back then, a few female players chimed in and stated that many of these emotional weaknesses - especially those during pregnancy - are vastly exaggerated or simply untrue.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with keeping track of a woman's mentrual cycle, simply because there's nothing particularly heroic about it. RPG's are about telling interesting stories, not counting the days of the month for gynecologic reasons.

The same is partly true for pregnancies as well. As the former discussion showed, different women react differently to the hormonal disturbances a pregnancy brings with it. So I would just let the player decide what type of reaction her character will show.

The only pre-set rules effect I would enforce is that starting with the 6th moth of pregnancy, the woman would suffer the penalties of the Obese Hindrance (but not the bonus to Toughness).

Also, I might add a chance of a miscarriage any time the woman gets Incapacitated while pregnant.
DerFinsterling
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really want to add rules for that, shouldn't you also take into account that many men are kinda weird around the full moon?
Statistics show that spousal abuse, car accidents and the like all go up around that time of the month...
Tuesday
Heroic

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To put it bluntly: You absolutely do not need rules for being female, rules for PMS, or game mechanics for menstruation. The supposed overemotionality and shortness of temper is overemphasised and, in fact, most often completely fictional.

Rules for pregnancy:
Once pregnant, any time you're Incapacitated, roll Vigour or miscarry.
Late in pregnancy, gain the Obese hindrance, which disappears again once you give birth. I'd just give the hindrance straight, unlike Jack, mostly for the sake of convenience.
HaraldKlak
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that you need or should make too many rules about these things. There is no reason to give any hindrances (or edges) during your periods, it really should just be a matter of roleplaying your in a certain way.
And also, you should only incorporate it in your play if you (of your GM) feels that it adds anything to the game.

That being said, I think that Rippers is an excellent game for these things. There is a lot of opportunities for letting implants and extracts affect both your and your baby's physiology.
It kind of reminds about a game of Abberant I played, where a over the top healing power had the side effect of rapidly maturing the unborn baby one of my team members where carrying (Perhaps it is a way to get a sidekick instantly...).
chugosh
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So that story about the pregnant lady lifting a car off her toddler would be a good example of an exploding die, right?

I think Tuesday has the handle on the details game wise, but one could cinematically ignore anything, including pregnancy. The only time I'd even bother was if bringing the baby to term and all were a major requirement of the plot. Otherwise, blow it off with a say so and move on, even if it means an in-game pause in the action.

The Supernanny would make an impressive sidekick, as well.
Adam Baulderstone
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny I was just reading through old Dragon magazines tonight and in #32 one of the questions in the Sorceror's Scroll was how to handle a character's pregnancy. The old-school D&D answer from the 1970's is that you should retire your character immediately and start a new one, and if that sounds unfair you shouldn't have been fooling around in the first place.

That probably sounds a little harsh in today's world of two career families, though.

As to rules for "that time of the month" , though, I don't think that's a good idea at all. Different women have very different reactions, and a -2 Charisma penalty for a full week every month doesn't seem to reflect any women I know.

Anyway, if you are going to get into that level of biological intimacy, you'll soon find yourself tracking characters fluid intake and bladder capacity. And that is moving beyond FFF and into the realm of TMI.
chugosh
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Edge: Trucker's Bladder
The character has no need of the restroom. However, any wheels on the off side of any vehicle....

Hinderance (Minor): Weak Bladder
Any failed Guts check means immediate evacuation.
Sitting Duck
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackAce wrote:
Personally, I wouldn't bother with keeping track of a woman's mentrual cycle, simply because there's nothing particularly heroic about it. RPG's are about telling interesting stories, not counting the days of the month for gynecologic reasons.

Unless you're playing in a Slayers campaign and the female character has an Arcane Background.

Adam Baulderstone wrote:
Anyway, if you are going to get into that level of biological intimacy, you'll soon find yourself tracking characters fluid intake and bladder capacity. And that is moving beyond FFF and into the realm of TMI.

Or SSS (Slow, Sedate, Sucks).
Revolution 9
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chugosh wrote:
New Edge: Trucker's Bladder
The character has no need of the restroom. However, any wheels on the off side of any vehicle....

Hinderance (Minor): Weak Bladder
Any failed Guts check means immediate evacuation.

If someone were to make a Tales From the Floating Vegabond adaptation for Savage Worlds, I could see these two working.

Final Fantasy is neither final nor fantasy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: