Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

(Classic) a different way to use the Cold Snap Hex

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oddtail
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: (Classic) a different way to use the Cold Snap Hex Reply with quote

Recently I was thinking of Hexes from Hexarcana and an idea struck me. The Cold Snap Hex, normally used to lower the Corporeal Traits of anyone in range, causes a very sudden, very sharp temperature drop, right?

Sure, my current campaign does not involve much supernatural stuff to happen, but I *have* been planning for a Huckster NPC. And the campaign is in the Maze - a lot of water around. And I was thinking - would the Hex allow for the Huckster to actually freeze the water? Since I recently saw the "Brothers Grimm" movie (finally), the idea of trapping someone under frozen water surface came next, of course Wink.

I was thinking of handling things this way: a successful Cold Snap freezes water and traps anyone therein at the moment of casting. Breaking the ice requires a STR check, at a TN depending on the hand drawn (same TN as for Clear Out!, probably - so, TN 5 for a Pair, and +2 for every hand above that). A person at the water surface needs merely a simple Success to break the ice completely. A person trapped *under* the ice needs to accumulate a total of 3 Successes and Raises (but can make several attempts to break the ice, of course). Cutting weapons give a +2 bonus to the roll if they can be conveniently used (so, a person standing *atop* the ice can use an axe, but a person in the water probably can't). Additionally, anyone who is underwater loses 1d6 Wind a round due to drowning.

Oh, and the rules mentioned would be for fresh water. For salt water... I guess loweing the effective Hex level by one hand would be enough.

Do you think the rules/idea make sense? After all, a person at the place where Cold Snap was cast is weak enough as it is, so breaking the ice might be very tricky. Alternatively, a person trapped under the ice might be otherwise unaffected by the Hex (protected by the ice).

What do you think?

EDIT: oh, sorry, Cold Snap does not lower Vigor and Strength. Nevermind, then. Still curious whether people out there like the idea.
RJack
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm torn on this. On the one hand, I like to see players put a little ingenuity into their magic use. I'm hesitant, though, to increase the power of Cold Snap like this, especially since there already exists a hex specializing in super-cooling water to ice (Ice Cap). If it's just for an NPC though, I'd just make it a unique power, then obfuscate any effort on the part of players to learn it. It sounds like you think it could be fun to use in play, and that's good enough for me.

That said, mechanically, I'd just think of it as a re-skinned Spirit Coils, and use those target numbers and hand levels to determine how easy it is to escape. The hex is somewhat more powerful because the targets may drown, but this is mitigated by their needing to be in the water for it to work.

I wouldn't bother to make a distinction between fresh or salt water. As an NPC ability, it wouldn't come up often enough to make the distinction worth it.
oddtail
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RJack wrote:
especially since there already exists a hex specializing in super-cooling water to ice (Ice Cap).

Where? I don't recall a Hex working like that.
RJack
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadlands Dispatch #1, at the back of Doomtown or Bust (p 142), along with the Frostbite hex.
oddtail
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, thanks. Don't have this one, I'll settle for Cold Snap.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: