Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

(DLR) do pump-action shotguns exist at the time?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Targetlock
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: (DLR) do pump-action shotguns exist at the time? Reply with quote

So do pump-action shotguns exist at that period, i haven't been able to find anything about it. i have a big fond spot for shotguns so any answers would help.

If not i will make it exist (queue mad scientist laugh).
arkcaver
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: (DLR) do pump-action shotguns exist at the time? Reply with quote

Targetlock wrote:
So do pump-action shotguns exist at that period, i haven't been able to find anything about it. i have a big fond spot for shotguns so any answers would help.

If not i will make it exist (queue mad scientist laugh).

I believe the Winchester 1893 was the first successful pump-action shotgun produced.
Noshrok Grimskull
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pump-action may not have existed in our history, but I seem to recall there was at least one of those in one of the Classic Deadlands books - Back East: The South or Law Dogs, if I'm not mistaken.

It worked much like a regular single-barrel shotgun, only it had 4 shots.

Oh, and if it's just ammo capacity that concerns you, than there's also the Colt Revolving Shotgun (with 6 shots) - which could be fanned if you were totally crazy! Surprised

"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes 'ding' when there's stuff." - The Doctor (Doctor Who)
Targetlock
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm not crazy..i just have an individual point of view Wink
marshal kt
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

winchester 1894 is a pump action shotgun.. dunno exactly when it came out, but it's still available; as a replica by chinese makers and the originals; on gun broler.com. usually the model is the year it was released.
RJack
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Spencer pump action existed in 1882, so it's not even much of a stretch to have in the standard Deadlands timeline of 1880. Also, the Winchester 1897, which was a refinement of the 1893, was one of the guns worked on by John Browning, who has been placed in the Deadlands setting with his own factory outside of Salt Lake. Given the technological advancement of Salt Lake City, it wouldn't be out of place to have him providing the Mormons with pump-action shotguns (and other anachronistic weaponry).

Finally, a character in Canyon o' Doom uses a pump action shotgun, in the introductory scene (set in Salt Lake).
Targetlock
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what does anachronistic mean? theres nothing stopping a mad scientist inventing it early i suppose.
Dodge City
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering the fact that the Civil War dragged on as long as it did, its fully acceptable that weapon technology would be advanced by about a decade faster that it would have been. An example would be in Tales of Terror 1877, in which CSA troops at the 7th Battle of Manassas used weaponized chlorine gas against the enemy. Considering it really was weaponized by the Germans in WWI, around 1915 if I'm not mistaken, then there's nothing wrong with pump-shotguns coming out a few years early. Like the Chlorine Gas, it doesn't even have to be considered Mad Science, just a natural progression of weapon technology one would see during a war.

Just my opinion though.
Tuesday
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
what does anachronistic mean?

It's adopted Greek.
"Ana" - not.
"Chron" - time
"istic" - like.

An "anachronism" is something that is out of it's proper time. Something that is "anachronistic" is something that does not belong in that time.

So, assault rifles and antibiotics are anachronistic to the American Civil War. Swords and platemail are anachronistic to the English Civil War. Dinosaurs are anachronistic to cavemen.
NOESKANE
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: More complex terms... Reply with quote

Hello!

As far as I can tell, Deadlands is an uchronia* also.

My 1/2 cent
NEK

*Alternate history.
Targetlock
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for that now i know Smile
Noshrok Grimskull
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And knowing is half the battle!

(Boy, am I spoiled by 80's cartoons or what?)

"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes 'ding' when there's stuff." - The Doctor (Doctor Who)
Wendigo1870
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's even more fun when you see them as an adult now; you can laugh with it's silliness and more knowledge.

(Thunder, thunder, THUNDERCATS! HOE! (Why is he always calling a thundercat hoe Wink ? Pretty offensive for an 80's cartoon!))
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: (DLR) do pump-action shotguns exist at the time? Reply with quote

Targetlock wrote:

You know, for Deadlands, before making an anachronistic pump-action shotgun, I'd go for the lever-action shotgun like the Winchester Model 1887. Much more Western in my opinion...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winchester_M1887

www.peginc.com
marshal kt
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

umm.. yeah.

after talking to people who've shot them in RL, you better set a minimun str of D8 to shoot it...it takes a better than average str to work the action/lever.
Targetlock
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice find. thanks
Lord Ben
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marshal kt wrote:
umm.. yeah.

after talking to people who've shot them in RL, you better set a minimun str of D8 to shoot it...it takes a better than average str to work the action/lever.

Try to oil it once in awhile... Smile

I think the 1887 is the one that they modified for the Terminator 2 scene where he shoots and cocks it 1 handed. While that's obviously not real, you by no means need a d8 str. The local gun store on Saturay had one and it wasn't that much different than other lever actions.
marshal kt
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really?
i was told that by several people at the match, all male all 6"+ when i asked if my wife could shoot it. 1 had one on hand but we didn't get chance to try it.

then again cocking it is a bit different when it's loaded.
Lord Ben
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was it new or antique? How many other lever action guns have you or the people who fire it shot? How did they try to work the action, did they keep it at their cheek or drop it down to their hip? Working it while aiming movie style is a lot harder.

They're all generally harder to work than people expect.
marshal kt
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they were both the new replicas and the older originals.

they are all experienced cowboy action shooters, with 10+ years experience, 1 with 30 years experience as a CAS. but more years than that shooting.

they've fired probably 30+ lever guns between them, and owned at least that many. i know 1 of them owns about 10 differnt ones in various calibers. [he has as many guns as i have minis, or so it seemed]

we shoot while aiming the gun.
both pump and lever.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: