Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HoE Aftermath?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GenThrockmorten
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: HoE Aftermath? Reply with quote

I love Deadlands and all their lines. I am a classic fan and will be till the day I die but I would love to see something of what happens to Earth after the Unity. I realize it is neat to be able to make stuff up but I was thinking more of an all encompassing thing off how to bring the world back from the darkness. When I say that I do mean world as in even those heavily bombed areas such as Europe etc. I know Lost Colony Companion has some things in it but I guess as a Marshal I want more things for my posse to do.
minbari18
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest that if you want more things for you posse to do, give em a couple of ghost rock bombs!!

Fun for everyone!

#gunbattle
Fuzyfeet
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all hope that HoE: Reloaded will be this, most likely not on the scale you stated. Me I've run pre-Unity games and even two fully successful campaigns that lead to the Unity adventure. The first group did the adventure as is and traveled to Banshee. The other group played out some of the parts, and a few new ones I came up with, but from a different perspective. I even through in things like them seeing the other group on the battle field.

Now every time I run a game, I run them post-Unity for two reasons. 1) pre-Unity is a been there done that, 2) I can add in more themes. While there is still the threat of the factions (Combine, Cult o' Doom, etc) erupting again, it's not as great so I can add political games as well as action or horror. After all, it's one thing to kill off all the Survitors left, but that doesn't guaranty that the world will heal itself.

My players are enjoying it, so it must be working. But to each their own.

Just my $0.02

My Deadlands sites
The Lynchburg Journal
The Junkyard Intranet
The Temptation Reportl
johntfs
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to write Post-Unity HoE as something of a clean slate based on the exploits of a group of very successful players that I had a few years ago. This group (which included a Hekant) exposed Silas before his mutant army as the murderer of the Lectors, slew Raven with Evanor and used the remaining submarine nukes to annihilate Raven's wormling/Zombie army. As far as the major Servitors are concerned, the only one still out there is Stone.

The Denver AI still exists, of course, though it's pulled back into a defensive position. The mutants of Vegas are still around, though Joan's faction is much stronger. Really what was left in the HoE world was a severe power vacuum.

And nature, especially supernature, abhors a vacuum. The way I see things, the Reckoners were a cancer on Earth that has now been removed. However, there's still plenty of room for "opportunistic infections" to come out of the Hunting Grounds.
Edivdrone
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to really stretch your Marshaling muscles, try running a campaign that starts before the bombs drop. This allows you to do one of two things:

1) Allow the players, if they are very clever, very determined, and very lucky, the opportunity to prevent some of the worst tragedies that occur in the Wasted West, like the formation of the Combine, the background leading to the downfall of Simon Mercer, etc.

2) Drive home the implacability of Fate if they do try to interfere by throwing hoards of road gangs, newly born monsters of the still fresh Apocalypse (or the tail of one of the Reckoners stomping across the West), fear crazed families, you think of it, it's possible just about.

Regardless, it gives the Heros a upfront and personal experience of the formation of the various power groups in the West, with the chance to (maybe) speed up events like the formation of the Iron Alliance. It also gives a special sense of horror as they watch people, perhaps even people they knew, go mad, and destroy the last remnants of civilization themselves. Think of all the first hand accounts of the year or so immediately after the bombs fell. Now imagine playing through that mess. Then watch the shock and dread form on the faces of the posse as you show them in a very real way that mankind is its own worst enemy.
R2Q2
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I have a great problem with the thought about HOE: Reloaded will be a post unity book. For me Deadlands deals with the fighting against the Reckoners. With them banished (transported, what ever) to Banshee there is no real need in making a HOE: Reloaded post Unity. That is what I personally think.

The most important things after the Unity adventure that will, or may, happen on Earth are covered in the adventure itself. After all there are more than enough problems left and with the permanent connection to Banshee and the Weird West there are so many possibilities.

But if you really want to play only on Earth, and after the battle of Denver think about the following thing: The Reckoners can only be defeated on Banshee. So what is if the Reckoners win this fight? Just think about it.
Edivdrone
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are still the Rattlers, and their plans for the world. Remember, if the Reckoners die, the Elders of the Rattlers regain their deity status of old. This would dramatically shift the power balance on Earth, and make the Wormlings a even nastier force to be reckoned with...
Fuzyfeet
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

***Be Warned Major Spoilers***

Edivdrone wrote:
There are still the Rattlers, and their plans for the world. Remember, if the Reckoners die, the Elders of the Rattlers regain their deity status of old. This would dramatically shift the power balance on Earth, and make the Wormlings a even nastier force to be reckoned with...

They need the worshipers to ascend to deities (or do evil god descend?) again, thus the wormlings. The Reckoners and humanity are in the way so the Reckoners are one obstacle to their goal.

Beyond the Reckoners (and Worms/Wyrms) there are others to be dealt with. As mentioned earlier, the Reckoners opened the gates to hell (terror-forming) and with the Reckoners not in control, every two bit evil thing that fancies itself powerful can (and should) make it's play now. We still don't know the fate of the Cackler (well at least I don't) so he could still be a player.

From Raven's back story we know that the Reckoners can take the power they give away, but where does it say the Reckoners have to maintain a Servitor's power (it could have been said, I just don't remember reading it)? I'd argue that their powers (or just their invulnerability) is dependent on maintaining the Deadlands. Even if that wasn't the case, they need to be dealt with to heal the world.

Fighting the Reckoners as a single great evil is fine, but even without them, evil is persistent, and not so easily beaten. As for the hole to the past and Banshee, that is a can o worms in and of itself. Not only do you have the past can't be changed, but most AB will have some problems working on Banshee. Add in traveling to these places. The Hunting Grounds is no place for the living plus say good by to your toys. Devil's Tower (the portal in both the Weird and Wasted Wests) is in Sioux territory. And we all know what happens there, shoe lases untie, backpacks fall off you, and your gun is just a heavy club...

I like the Post-Unity world too because in it, there is hope. It is till bleak and nasty, but it can get better.

Just my $0.02

My Deadlands sites
The Lynchburg Journal
The Junkyard Intranet
The Temptation Reportl
Edivdrone
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuzyfeet wrote:

They need the worshipers to ascend to deities (or do evil god descend?) again, thus the wormlings. The Reckoners and humanity are in the way so the Reckoners are one obstacle to their goal.

Humanity isn't really in the way.
Quote:
Actually, humanity is required, given that new wormlings are made from humans. (HoE Companion, pg. 158,159)

Fuzyfeet
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edivdrone wrote:
Actually, humanity is required, given that new wormlings are made from humans. (HoE Companion, pg. 158,159)

Right. Though it we have what they need with their current numbers, all that they fear is the Reckoners. So I guess once they get what they want, they could start trying to convert in mass Humanity, or culling the human herd so there isn't anyone other than worm worshipers...

Just my $0.02

My Deadlands sites
The Lynchburg Journal
The Junkyard Intranet
The Temptation Reportl
Edivdrone
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, something I forgot to mention earlier; Raven is still on the loose, and has a real mad on about humanity in general and whites in particular. So, there is yet another example of something to be done in post Unity HoE.
dirge93
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post Unity we have:

1) The Worms
2) The Denver AI
3) Raven and his forces

It's been a while, but I suspect each of these would still be major forces to deal with even if they were weakened at the start of Unity.

4) Manitous and Monsters - The world is still filled with all sorts of nasty supernatural critters, and possibly more coming out now that the Reckoners are no longer controlling their ecology of fear.
5) Deadlands - Bad, bad places that need cleaning up if humanity ever hopes to stop the spread of monsters.
6) Raiders - Be they road gangs, violent mutants, violent human supremacists, or whatever, there'll still be plenty of bands of people willing to kill someone else so they don't have to work for it.
7) Cultists - Similar to raiders, but serving dark forces. They want food and souls!
Cool AIs - Plenty of crazy warbots and such out there still besides what's going on in Denver.

And the most overlooked challenge of all!

9) Simple Survival - Safe food, clean water, and secure shelter are precious commodities. Outside of the larger settlements, they're under constant attack. Not just by beasties and thugs and bots, but by disease, famine, politics, and more. The Horsemen are gone, but the mundane elements that they embodied is still going strong!
Edivdrone
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more threat to consider post Unity is Silas and crew. The mutant question is one that is causing tensions to rise across the West. Silas's message appeals to those who have been estranged from their home communities after they were kicked out for the great crime of being different. Thousands of mutants make the trek to Las Vegas. There are hundreds of mutant enclaves across the West. Some are open to norms, some are ambivalent, some are hostile. These last two may be swayed to the Cult of Doom by the work of missionaries spreading Silas's words. If instead of an army marching out of Vegas, Silas initiates a widespread uprising, the West would be in a serious hurt locker.

On the other hand, your posses may have had a significant impact on mutie-norm relations in the West. If they haven't, here is a chance to shine.
Chezzo
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sincerely hope that Hell On Earth: Reloaded happens before Unity. Unity was the first time things came to a head in ANY Pinnacle setting, and I think playing in an after Unity world would be boring.

Deadlands is all about the Reckoners.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Teller
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chezzo wrote:
I sincerely hope that Hell On Earth: Reloaded happens before Unity. Unity was the first time things came to a head in ANY Pinnacle setting, and I think playing in an after Unity world would be boring.

Deadlands is all about the Reckoners.

I can all but guarantee you that HoERL will be post-Unity. There's still plenty of stuff to come to a head despite the absence of the Reckoners (although they always were absent before--just that no one knew exactly where they were). Twisted Evil
shadd4d
Legendary

Location: Charlottesville, VA...I miss Deutschland and Chicago.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will it be possible for those who didn't follow the entire HOE storyline to reset or slightly reset it in order to play out the Unity storyline? Just wondering if it's possible.

Don

"But there is a difference between fear and horror. An important difference.
Fear is when you worry about what might be.
Horror is when you are certain." Dannyboy01
TommyBrownell
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless HoE Reloaded dramatically alters the physics of the game world, I can't imagine why that would be a problem...unless you also don't have the Classic HoE books, then the information you're wanting might not be as detailed as you need...

When I start my Deadlands game back up, I have no intention of jumping down the timeline...I'm not quite through with 1876...I'll just do the necessary conversion work.

(Actually, the long-term goal is multiple posses at different points in the timeline to accomplish everything that "needs" to be done.)
Teller
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadd4d wrote:
Will it be possible for those who didn't follow the entire HOE storyline to reset or slightly reset it in order to play out the Unity storyline? Just wondering if it's possible.

Don

Don,
I think there will be enough in the history section to give you an idea of how things went during the Unity and the months following, as well as what each major faction is up to. Now, if you want to play pre-Unity, all the rules for making up SW versions of HoE characters are in the book, so nothing is to stop you from running a pre-Harvest campaign, going through the Unity adventure (which you'll have to convert to SW if you're playing that version), then picking up where HoERL's Plot Point Campaign begins (unless major changes happen between now and release). Of course, this is all unofficial.

And just so everyone is one the same sheet of music--HoERL is written for Savage Worlds. Conversion should be pretty easy for the Classic die-hards out there, but I think HoE will run nicely with SW--no more major battles that take an entire day of real time (I remember the one climactic battle in the back of Road Warriors book that I had all set out on a 4x6 piece of plywood in 28mm scale took 6 hours, and that was with a group that could fly through combat). Now mass combats can actually be fun for the Marshal to run.
shadd4d
Legendary

Location: Charlottesville, VA...I miss Deutschland and Chicago.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teller wrote:
Now mass combats can actually be fun for the Marshal to run.

I did something similar for my DL:R group, and it worked out beautifully; I look forward to HoE:RL...hopefully it shows up tomorrow. All I've got for HoE is the players' guide and The Unity...guess it's time to pick up some backstock. But I look forward to this one also...it looks like it will be really interesting.

Don

"But there is a difference between fear and horror. An important difference.
Fear is when you worry about what might be.
Horror is when you are certain." Dannyboy01
Chezzo
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will there still be servitors after the Reckoners leave?

That's what I meant when I said Deadlands is all about the Reckoners. There's just something about an unbeatable foe that you have to research, and find a weakness for, that both makes coming up with adventures, and playing them, an absolute blast.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: