Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GM Tool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ProfMarks
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: GM Tool Reply with quote

Having played around with the combat modifier calculator I threw together, I ended up taking the time and going the whole way. The attached spreadsheet covers pretty much all the Savage World math (while not much of it) in the hopes of providing an even better focus on the game rather than rules.

It still does not replace knowing the rules or when to apply them, but hopefully it makes fusing them together easier and using more detailed rules (like sleep deprivation and extreme heat) far more managable.

Please let me know how it works out for you. If you see rules and/or techincal issues please reply here so I can make the appropriate corrections.

http://www.chezlive.com/SWCalculatorV1.5.xls

-Horizontally Aligned Version-
http://www.chezlive.com/SWCalculatorV1.5H.xls

Edit:
-There are four different tabs along the bottom for different purposes. Combat Mods, Situational Mods, Vehicle Mods and Chase. I'm particularly proud of the Chase Tool.
-When using Tempurature, 0 acts as a null value vice a tempurate. Please use either 1 degree or -1 degree to get the desired effect.
-Updated to V1.5 16JAN09
-Updated to include a horizontally aligned version.

Last edited by ProfMarks on Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
Yuri
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty cool. The only thing I would change at this point, is having the work sheet fit on the page without having to scroll down.

Yuri
ProfMarks
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A valid concern to be sure. I think that depends on screen resolution however. For me, I can get all worksheets on screen only taking up about a third of the horizontal space. Any suggestions from excel gurus on how to make this more universal?
kjamma4
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks really good.

For future modifications, I would suggest having radio buttons for the like grouped items so that you cannot simultaneously select conflicting items (like Range being both Medium and Long at the same time).

There are also some minor spelling errors.
ProfMarks
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I don't have a timeline, I plan on the following items for the next update:

-Typo/Spelling revisions
-'Clear All' button to reset all forms
-Items that should not be able to stack, will not be able to be selected concurrently

Would a seperate 'Clear Current Form' be worthwhile or not worth the screen space?
Considering how to impliment a Mass Battle Tool, not sure if it's worthwhile. Thoughts?

Additional suggestions?
doswelk
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a minor thing from a quick glance, change the Gang up bonus to a combo box as it can only be 0-4.

Looks very good I'll try next gaming session...
ProfMarks
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Doswelk. At present, the code actually prevents the score from going over 4 regardless of high the value you put in. Does that make it easier or harder?
doswelk
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm Just lazy...

We play using FGII (and I used multiplicity to allow me to control more than one PC at once, i.e. FGII on two screens and PDF adventure/rulebook etc. on a third)

So a drop down is just quicker (for me) but not to worry.
jasales
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a really nice tool!

I am having a little trouble figuring out how to use the chase tool. I put all the values in but then what? Is there button OR are things tracked as I change values? Or maybe my computer isn't reading things correctly.
ProfMarks
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jasales,

I'm glad you find it usefull.

The chase tool simply aids you in determining the starting relative positions. The result of the calculation is given numerically as well as a visual depiction to the right. If you want to use this tool as the chase progresses, you could enter in the inches or distance in yards the target and chaser remain apart to alter the indications. That said it was intended more as a way to establish the starting positions without having to run calculations or dig through the formulas rather then replace the use of tokens or flats once it starts. Hope that helps.
jasales
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, excellent. I was feeling really stupid. I kept thinking, well I got the staring positions but how do I make it "go" turn to turn. Smile Thanks for the quick response and thanks for a great tool!

It works in OpenOffice under Ubuntu!
ProfMarks
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Calculator Updated Reply with quote

It's been awhile, but I finally got around to making a few changes to the SW Calculator posted some time back. The download link is:

http://www.chezlive.com/SWCalculatorV1.5.xls

The difference between this spreadsheet and the one prior or relatively minor but include several housekeeping changes.

-Typos have hopefully all been corrected
-Calculation sheets have been hidden to prevent formulas from inadvertantly being altered
-Sheets have been protected to prevent inadvertant changes
-Clear all buttons have been included on each tab to reset all fields. These clear all buttons clear all tabs, so no need to individually clear each.
-Reset button added to the chase set up tool. These fields are independant of the overall worksheet.

I did not convert the check box fields to radio buttons that could have been linked to like options. I intended to do so as it would have prevented a user from selecting fields that -should- not be selected at the same time, i.e. heavy and light cover. In the end I didn't do it because I discovered I would have had to include null controls for a zero mod value. Meaning I would have had to have a 'no cover' field, 'normal light' etc. Trying to keep the screen footprint small, I didn't feel the screen space was worth the number of extra controls that would have had to be included.

I may revisit the calculator and include a mass battle calculator at some point, but I'm unsure if there is substancial worth in such a tool, and even so it is down the to-do list quite a bit.

Enjoy.
jasales
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the updates. This is quite useful.
poody
Heroic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Calculator Updated Reply with quote

ProfMarks wrote:
I did not convert the check box fields to radio buttons that could have been linked to like options. I intended to do so as it would have prevented a user from selecting fields that -should- not be selected at the same time, i.e. heavy and light cover. In the end I didn't do it because I discovered I would have had to include null controls for a zero mod value. Meaning I would have had to have a 'no cover' field, 'normal light' etc. Trying to keep the screen footprint small, I didn't feel the screen space was worth the number of extra controls that would have had to be included.

One way of doing this is with a bit more involved formula. For example, the sheet will allow you to select Dim, Dark, and Pitch Black lighting and give a total of -7. That would be an inaccurate modifier, since, these should be radio options. I modified the formula for Dim to be:
Code:
=IF(B39,0,IF(B38,0,IF(B37,$Rules.C37;0)))

I did similar modifications to Dark and Pitch Black. Now if more than one of those options is selected, the result is 0.

Another approach would be to simply take the higher of the all the selected values. I think that would be a bit more complex - and I would have to think about the best way to implement, but...for a quick and dirty way of handling it, that formula above should work well enough.

EDIT: I thought about it and the second approach I mentioned wouldn't be too difficult...instead of having the value be 0, just have the value be $Rules.C39 (if Pitch Black was one of the items selected). This could be a little easier, but you would need to do your IF statements from highest value to lowest value. So - for the Lighting, the Dim's IF statements would need to see if Pitch Black was selected, then check if Dark was Selected and then finally, if Dim was selected. Dark would have to only check for Pitch Black and Dark, and Pitch Black could keep it's existing formula. The thing to keep in mind with Excel IF statements in formulas is they stop searching the remaining IFs, once it finds something to be TRUE.

Rich

Or view ones that others have made here
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ProfMarks
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thread updated with a horizontally aligned version for those using dual screens.
The One
Heroic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Calculator Updated Reply with quote

poody wrote:

Another approach would be to simply take the higher of the all the selected values. I think that would be a bit more complex - and I would have to think about the best way to implement, but...for a quick and dirty way of handling it, that formula above should work well enough.

Ok, I´m in Gran Canaria right now so I don´t have access to Excel to play around with, however I suspect that the formula you´re looking for is MAX, that´ll work out the highest modifier in the range. If none are selected, it should return zero. Add a "reset section" button for each seperate set of radio buttons next to the header and you´re sorted.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: