Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[Phipps Studios] Survey of the Fans

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Licensees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charles Phipps
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: [Phipps Studios] Survey of the Fans Reply with quote

Hey folks, as we get Winterweir's layout finished up and trudge away on Black Hole's manuscript; the folk here at Phipps Studios (myself, Michael Suttkus, and a few other friendly faces) wanted to hold an informal survey.

Basically, we're forming our business plan over the next two years, and wanted to get fan feedback on some things.

1) What product are you looking forward to most? Winterweir, Black Hole, Streets of Frenzy?

2) Why so?

3) Is there any genres you'd like to see more work done in?

4) Do you want to see more individual settings or supported settings?

5) If the latter, what sort of supplements would you want to see?

6) What sort of fan support would you prefer from a creator?

Thank you for your time.
jscifert
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:53 am    Post subject: Survey Reply with quote

Here ya go!

1) What product are you looking forward to most? Winterweir, Black Hole, Streets of Frenzy?

For me, it is Winterweir.

2) Why so?

I am a sucker for fantasy. Shaintar is sating a lot of that need, but it is certainly designed, at least in my mind, for more "heroic" level play - by that, I mean where the heroes are the assumed good guys and have noble interests at heart, with very little internal struggle on the choices for their actions. Winterweir appears to help meet that other craving for me of a darker, atypical fantasy where the outcomes are not always as certain and character's struggle with "what is right and good - or ,at least, does the ends justify the means" is a central theme. That is why I like FFGs Midnight and why I think this setting intrigues me as well.

I would like to see a more historical fantasy, ala King Arthur, Deryni, or other semi-historical setting.

Supported settings to me are a key. I prefer the tools to be given and I can tweak and adjust as needed to fit my campaign. Having the support certainly helps me out as a GM from a timing perspective and gives great insight into how the authors view the setting as well, which I find to be helpful.

PDF supplement adventures are great; World books detailing out more specific areas of the world in detail are extremely helpful; NPC backgrounds and motivations provided in a supplement is also a plus!

I love Figure Flats for creatures, typical NPCs, etc. I also love GM screens, Adventure Deck customized cards, etc.

Thank you for your time.

Always welcome!
highpriestrsw2
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:32 am    Post subject: survey. Reply with quote

I'd like to see them all! I guess if I had to choose I'd say Winterweir first.

2) Why so?

Winterweir is the sort of dark fantasy setting that you rarely see RPG companies have the insight to release either for fear of limited interest/sales or just because they're not creative enough to think this kind of awesome concept up. My group loves Midnight but we all thought it was too vanilla and toned down to make it easier to sell to kids. We're really excited about a dark fantasy concept that is marketed at adults!

Hard scifi ala Transhuman Space or alphaomega and anything martial arts related. 70's kungfu/blacksploitation genre would be cool too!

I'm on the fence with this one. I'm gonna mash the two up and say more settings with a minimal amount of support material because either/or or possibly both would be great!

Player's guides, setting companion, figure flats, one sheets

I'd like to see a indepth look at the game world similar to what SPF does for Shaintar on the Talisman Studios boards. Also chat sessions on a social networking site like rpglife.com (The chat w/ SPF was very cool!) and/or podcast interviews @ theplaysthething.com or pulpgamer.com (I love these 2 podcasts!)

Thank you for your time.[/i]

http://www.new.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=1161641837&ref=name
Savage Yinn
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: [Phipps Studios] Survey of the Fans Reply with quote

Charles Phipps wrote:
Hey folks, as we get Winterweir's layout finished up and trudge away on Black Hole's manuscript; the folk here at Phipps Studios (myself, Michael Suttkus, and a few other friendly faces) wanted to hold an informal survey.

Basically, we're forming our business plan over the next two years, and wanted to get fan feedback on some things.

1. What product are you looking forward to most? Winterweir, Black Hole, Streets of Frenzy?

I'd like to see Winterweir because it sounds like a very interesting background for a fantasy world and it's one I'd like to play with.

I'd like to see Streets of Frenzy because I love Big Trouble in Little Chinatown and I'm a huge fan of that style of story-telling.

I'd like to see Black Hole as like Winterweir it sounds awesome.

2. Why so?
    (see above)

3. Is there any genres you'd like to see more work done in?
    No! I'm like a child in a candy store at the moment I already want to run (or play) Solomon Kane, Deadlands: Reloaded and Slipstream. With the added products which you are producing I'll have more than a years worth of role-playing all set for me.

4. Do you want to see more individual settings or supported settings?
    One of the great things which Savage Worlds books introduced is the whole plot point concept, this should be embraced and hopefully extended to all RPG's.

5. If the latter, what sort of supplements would you want to see?
    On the Free side; One Sheets, Character Sheets, Maps (if appropriate) etc.

On the Pay side; Anything that makes my life as a GM easier.

6. What sort of fan support would you prefer from a creator?
    More background information. One of my favourite RPG's is SLA Industries and the 300+ page main rule book has about 60 pages of "crunch" and the rest is "fluff."

Thank you for your time.

You're welcome ol' chap
burningcrow
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: [Phipps Studios] Survey of the Fans Reply with quote

Okay, I'll add my 0.016 ...

Winterweir.

2) Why so?
I'd love to see a dark fantasy setting ... don't get me wrong, I like Shaintar but it's not dark enough (actually it's a standard fantasy setting) and love Sundered Skies but it is not really a classical fantasy setting ... Wink

I love "urban dark fantasy" ... i.e. Gaiman's Neverwhere or games like Changeling: the Lost ... where a mystic/magic parallel society lives right next to our mundane world ...

I prefer more settings instead of less settings with more books ... that's to say as long as there's a plot point campaign in the main book.

Don't.

Most important is a decent rate of replies in the Pinnacle forums ... so you're on the safe side ... Wink
SnowDog
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: [Phipps Studios] Survey of the Fans Reply with quote

Charles Phipps wrote:

That's a hard one but I will probably have to say Winterweir.

Charles Phipps wrote:

2) Why so?

What I have read about it, it is just what the doctor ordered for me. While Black Hole is also extremely interesting the dark fantasy is just so intriquing.

Charles Phipps wrote:

Espionage and cyberpunk/post-cyberpunk.

Charles Phipps wrote:

It depends on how stand-alone product the first setting book is. Usually I like supported settings.

Charles Phipps wrote:

Data on places and people. Scenario ideas.

Charles Phipps wrote:

Dev. blog and forum presence.

- Full Metal GM
steelbrok
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it's Black Hole

Mainly to cannibalise ideas for my own homebrews which tend to space travel (sometimes with magic sometimes without) and having someone else do some legwork and come up with something to read is pleasant
Stephen Peto
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Winterweir

Quote:
2) Why so?

I love fantasy, and theres definitely room for a setting thats not black and white. A degree of moral uncertainty means players have to make choices, and live with the consequences of their actions.

Quote:

An egyptian themed setting would be cool. There are a load of miniatures out there just waiting to be used in a rpg.

Quote:

Supported settings, but I guess this depends on how well they sell!

Quote:

Adventures, adventures and adventures! As someone who finds it very difficult to come up with decent storylines, I am always looking for decent adventures. I also think that good adventures can bring a setting to life, they can show how different factions and elements interact. Failing that a book of plot ideas and adventure seeds.

Quote:

Having a creator answer questions in the forum is always cool
Dont Die
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely, Winterweir

2) Why so?
A darker fantasy setting is just what I'm looking for. Just tired of the run of the mill fantasy worlds, need something with darker overtones and for a more mature audience.

Urban Fantasy ala Jim Butcher, Neil Gaiman, Simon R Green and many more.

A bit both. Depends on how stand alone the core books are and what kind of support.

NPC's/Rogues Gallery type books, detailed locations,

Character sheets, cheat sheets/gm screens, forum and/or blog postings.
Charles Phipps
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your responses! They help give me a better idea of fandom's wants!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Licensees All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: