Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trait roll probability calculator

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ipuustin
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Trait roll probability calculator Reply with quote

Hi all,

I wrote a small web application for calculating Savage Worlds trait roll probabilities:

http://cameralovesyou.net/swprob/swprob.rb

The idea of the calculator is to examine how the success and raise probabilities change with different target numbers and base dice. It was written for solving a few probability-related questions we had in our group, but it could be interesting also to others.

--
- Ismo
SlasherEpoch
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, cool! Thanks!

Evil Wig Enterprises Minion #15 - "The
Machete"
Wendigo1870
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice indeed! Cool
Aramus Daimorgul
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice.

Is Righteous Rage similar to Righteous Fury from Rippers setting?

If you were to add a feature...
Have a percentage of rolling a "1" on the trait die added into the failure part of the pie...
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aramus Daimorgul wrote:
Is Righteous Rage similar to Righteous Fury from Rippers setting?

Nope, it's a Setting Rule in Solomon Kane connected to Benny use, it's different from the Edge from Rippers.

www.peginc.com
ipuustin
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aramus Daimorgul wrote:

If you were to add a feature...
Have a percentage of rolling a "1" on the trait die added into the failure part of the pie...

This was a very good point, and I now added the critical failure probabiilty to the pie when doing a wild card roll.

The Righteous Rage is (as Clint said) indeed a Solomon Kane -specific thing, and it is included in the calculator just because our group happens to play Solomon Kane. Smile There was also a small bug in Righteous Rage probability, because (if I understand the rules correctly) the Righteous Rage die should be disregarded if the base and wild dice are both one. Now this actually works correctly.
Aramus Daimorgul
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems the ability to go under 4 was removed. It is important because if you want to calculate odds with bonuses or something else like for instance 1 or better odds. It is also handy to throw the roll a 1 on the trait die for things like weird science, bolt spell, shooting in a crowd etc. This changes odds around because if you are successful with the wild die but roll a '1' on the trait die you fail. This might be a check box feature like wild card and
righteous rage.
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aramus Daimorgul wrote:
It is also handy to throw the roll a 1 on the trait die for things like weird science, bolt spell, shooting in a crowd etc. This changes odds around because if you are successful with the wild die but roll a '1' on the trait die you fail.

Um, nope, you don't automatically fail in those cases. You just have the effect of rolling a 1 and the result of a success. So with Arcane abilities for instance, the power would activate at the same time the secondary effect occurred as well (malfunction or Shaken).

www.peginc.com
Aramus Daimorgul
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clint wrote:
Um, nope, you don't automatically fail in those cases. You just have the effect of rolling a 1 and the result of a success. So with Arcane abilities for instance, the power would activate at the same time the secondary effect occurred as well (malfunction or Shaken).

Ah not aware of that nuance. Dooley noted. Not a necessary feature then, very easy to calculate.
d4 = 25%
d6 = 17%
d8 = 13%
d10 = 10%
d12 = 8%
Aramus Daimorgul
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clint wrote:

Wait a minute is that right.
Character shoots a bow in a melee and if he rolls a '1' on the trait die and 4+ on the wild die he hits both of them? I don't think so, that one only takes effect if you roll a 3 or less on the wild die. In the case of autofire or a shotgun I can see both being hit but certainly not by a spear or throwing axe.

In the case of brainburn, backlash and malfunction - the power takes effect first then the adverse effect happens. Makes sense.
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aramus Daimorgul wrote:
Clint wrote:

Wait a minute is that right.
Character shoots a bow in a melee and if he rolls a '1' on the trait die and 4+ on the wild die he hits both of them? I don't think so, that one only takes effect if you roll a 3 or less on the wild die. In the case of autofire or a shotgun I can see both being hit but certainly not by a spear or throwing axe.

It's just not an automatic failure. The GM can rule it however he wants. As far as an arrow, spear, or axe...

"The arrow catches one guy across the arm before burying in the chest of your target."
"The spear punches straight through your ally's shoulder and continues right into the throat of the guy he is fighting."
"The axe whirls through the air, clips off the head of your friend and is deflected just enough to thud right into the forehead of the one you were aiming for."

There are ways to describe it occurring when and if it comes up. And as someone said in the thread on describing combat, just figure out what the result is first before worrying about the description. If your ally Soaks the damage, it's a lot easier to explain a "hit" that still affects the original target. Heck, even if it's a Shaken that isn't removed, that can be described simply as the shock of the weapon flying right by their head as opposed to actually being "damaged" by it.

But if easier, the GM can just say it hits one and not the other regardless of the result.

www.peginc.com
Aramus Daimorgul
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clint wrote:

It's just not an automatic failure. The GM can rule it however he wants. As far as an arrow, spear, or axe...

"The arrow catches one guy across the arm before burying in the chest of your target."
"The spear punches straight through your ally's shoulder and continues right into the throat of the guy he is fighting."
"The axe whirls through the air, clips off the head of your friend and is deflected just enough to thud right into the forehead of the one you were aiming for."

There are ways to describe it occurring when and if it comes up. And as someone said in the thread on describing combat, just figure out what the result is first before worrying about the description. If your ally Soaks the damage, it's a lot easier to explain a "hit" that still affects the original target. Heck, even if it's a Shaken that isn't removed, that can be described simply as the shock of the weapon flying right by their head as opposed to actually being "damaged" by it.

But if easier, the GM can just say it hits one and not the other regardless of the result.

I like it. Those are very descriptive and definitely in my vein of game play, however page 69 under innocent bystanders begins by saying: "When an attacker misses..."
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aramus Daimorgul wrote:
I like it. Those are very descriptive and definitely in my vein of game play, however page 69 under innocent bystanders begins by saying: "When an attacker misses..."

Sorry, I was unclear. The Innocent Bystander rule has it's own reason for not belonging in that group; as stated, it only takes effect if the character misses to begin with. So obviously, it's not an automatic failure if the attack is successful regardless of a 1 on the Trait die, not because it can be successful and have a secondary effect as well from the 1 on the Trait die.

If the GM wants to make it work like the others, he could, and that was just examples of doing such (makes shooting into melee more risky for Wild Cards).

www.peginc.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: