Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The SAVAGE skill and a setting Idea.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JackAce
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackwingedheaven wrote:
I managed to find War Cry looking through Evernight, but not Wizards and Warriors.

You're right... it's not in there...

Strange... I thought it was. Embarassed

Perhaps it was in the old version of W&W..? Confused
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackAce wrote:
blackwingedheaven wrote:
I managed to find War Cry looking through Evernight, but not Wizards and Warriors.

You're right... it's not in there...

Strange... I thought it was. Embarassed

Perhaps it was in the old version of W&W..? Confused

Nope, sorry, never had it. Probably just confused it with Evernight.

www.peginc.com
supercOntra
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like these ideas, I'm working on something related where players are trolls and pagan creatures fighting the spread of christianity in Scandinavia during the middle ages.
zeth
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is funny how a whim of inspiration can snowball and grow like this. I am looking through 'barbarian' or 'stone age' material to get a feel for the setting. Should metal weapons exist as 'rare artifacts' the equivalent of magical/special weapons in fantasy or just skip them all together? Should those 'Evil invaders' be actual aliens or instead a culture inspired by ancient Greek/Rome cultures trying to wipe out the 'barbarian scourge' that is the players and their tribe?
SlasherEpoch
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zeth wrote:
Should those 'Evil invaders' be actual aliens or instead a culture inspired by ancient Greek/Rome cultures trying to wipe out the 'barbarian scourge' that is the players and their tribe?

I thought of 300 when you mentioned this. In that movie, animals and foreigners are presented as monsters and demons because that's how the warriors would have told the story. I think it's perfectly okay, if a little conceptual, to say a homo sapien is this terrible sorcerer-creature, a bear is a monster that might be an avatar of the gods, and an elephant is a herald of the apocalypse. It means skewing the stats of these critters a little bit because that's how the cavemen would have seen them or told about them later.

It's possible things like werewolves and vampires get this same treatment; an unusually savage wolf might take on human aspect and a bloodthirsty feral caveman might easily have stats that seem more than human.

Please, anyone who thinks that made sense, feel free to back me up.

Evil Wig Enterprises Minion #15 - "The
Machete"
Gavinwulf
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread!
I recommend taking a look at this great indie game to give you some ideas:

http://www.mysticages.com/bv/
zeth
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gavinwulf wrote:
Great thread!
I recommend taking a look at this great indie game to give you some ideas:

http://www.mysticages.com/bv/

Damn, Almost as if they reached in my head and made the game before I thought of it. Well it looks like this setting is done then. Carry on everyone.
Adam Baulderstone
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is great. I've been toying with the idea of running a campaign centering on a pre-historic tribe in a Lovecraft/Howard style setting. After a period of brutal wilderness survival, they'll come upon the decadent civilization of the Serpent Men, to either be enslaved by it, or smash it to bring about the rise of Man in the world.

Between this and the Flint weapon rules in the Fantasy Gear Toolkit, a lot of my crunch work is done. Thank you.
zeth
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam Baulderstone wrote:
This thread is great. I've been toying with the idea of running a campaign centering on a pre-historic tribe in a Lovecraft/Howard style setting. After a period of brutal wilderness survival, they'll come upon the decadent civilization of the Serpent Men, to either be enslaved by it, or smash it to bring about the rise of Man in the world.

Between this and the Flint weapon rules in the Fantasy Gear Toolkit, a lot of my crunch work is done. Thank you.

You are welcome.
CAM
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great idea for a setting

I would change the skill 'Savage' to 'Savagery' however, IMO it just seems to be more suitable but thats a matter of taste

I would lock in a few different damage values for weapons, perhaps using the values from SW2 instead (eg+1,+2, etc), and focus more on weapon aspects such as reach, parry, etc as originally suggested.

The idea of a character's core savagery being the main brunt of damage is really brutal and quite cool - perhaps it could be useful in other settings if the Fighting skill was broken down into two skills: Fighting (Savagery) could cover this idea, whereas Fighting (Finesse) could cover the current rules - just food for thought, no firm idea if this will work or not

I'm not sure if I would bring in Powers, I think perhaps charlatans could use trickery or knowledges to achieve things people consider to be magic. The idea of Totemic Edges also has merits (using the Wildling Animal Edges) and could add much to the flavour.

All in all, these ideas for a stone age setting would be great and I would love to see someone flesh it out more
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: