Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Freeporting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skylion
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:03 am    Post subject: Freeporting Reply with quote

Tonite was the first game of my homebrew fantasy Freeport campaign.

Thanks to Wigs for the great conversion, it was very helpful.

So, the beginning is kinda convoluted. But it gets easier from there.

The players characters are the same as they were in my Victorian Era Torchwood game. When they played last, they traveled to a strange planet via a Rift Portal. When there, they found a two masted sailing vessel with a Yellow Sign emblazoned on it's mainsail.

With clues they gathered while on their last mission, they found that this Sign was a key to trans spatial and dimensional travel. So while exploring the ship, it started to take off toward the stars.

Cut to a storm on the open sea. The vessel capsizes leaving only the mainsail as evidence it even existed. They were picked up by a merchant vessel and discovered that they travel to yet another strange place.

Why did I do it this way? The players wanted to keep these characters. So, no problem. I sent out emails describing the world before the game. I also encourage them to change them if they want, yet still roleplay them the same way. So, our doctor took the AB Magic background, and our Professor took too AB Miracles using the God of Knowledge. The player for the Prof is a huge physics/math guy and recently told me of a quote about Isaac Newton, "He wasn't the first of the Age of Reason, he was the last magician." So I recalled Newton's deep religious conviction and it went from there. One guy was already playing a sailor, so that was easy. And our loud bluster Scotland Yard inspector decided, "nothing changes me"

The world is essentially straight outta PotSM. Mainly because I want some mileage from that purchase. Most of the game will be in the Spanish Main setting, and I will be using Freeport adventures and a good helping of Goodman Games Dungeon Crawl Classics.

So, they are dumped off in Freeport, and soon they are on the first leg of the Freeport trilogy.
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent work. Keep posting updates, I'd like to keep up with this story.

I'm currently using bits and pieces of savaged freeport for my Skies campaign. It's good stuff.
skylion
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me introduce the players a bit more in depth:

Jayson plays Geribald Shakelbolt, ex of Scotland Yard and the Torchwood Institute. Very loyal to the Queen and his duties; something which he takes very seriously. Blustery. During a fight, he actually used a Smarts trick to dress down a hoodlum for being so poorly dressed. Said hood was Shaken, so laugh all you want too. He hasn't changed on single bit.

Jason (no 'y') plays Professor George Coppersmith (not Coopersmith, but he will answer too that as well) formerly a lecturer at Cambridge for Maths and Physics (as is Jason himself). Now, in this new fantasy world he is Medicant Brother Coppersmith (still answering to Coopersmith) of the Church of Gnosis, God of Knowledge. He now wanders from place to place teaching whomever can pay a meager offering to Gnosis. Natural Philosophy, Geography, Astronomy and the Alchemical Arts for the Home and Buisness. In the first game he came up Aces galore when using the Confusion spell. So, he broke out his Master's level Physics text and started quoting Quantum String theory. Nice way to earn a Benny in my game.

Doctor Mark Jones, formerly of Our Lady of Peace Hospice in Cardiff, now a member in good standing of the the Alchemist Guild. Matt, his player decided to jump into the Alchemy/Artificer rules I made for the Fantasy Gear Toolkit. Largely plays a support role with the Quickness spell and a good dose of Armour every now and again.

Tony plays Albert Walbourne, sea salt, drunk, and general roustabout (cause every group really does need one). He too, hasn't changed a bit. He just requires more guns since the world went all matchlock on him. He currently has his eye on the +1/+1 Bluderbuss of the Musketeer currently on display in one of Freeports shops.

And some general world background:

The Universe is not only stranger than you imagine, it is stranger than you can possibly imagine. Too which I add, it is stranger than you even want to imagine.

The Great Old One created all of reality, a string of worlds one after the other. But don't mistake it for a benevolent being. Not evil or malevolent either. It just is. It creates and does it again, for all eternity without beginning....

But worlds evolve on their. They obey whatever laws of reality they happen to be in for a moment. And they end all the time.

This current one, this alternate Earth if you will, may be ending sooner rather than later. Well, demons invading much of what could be Africa, Europe and most of Asia. Tierra del Feugo is getting to be a bit more literal than comfortable these day to say the very least.

So that leaves us with the Western Hemisphere. The New World. Unlike our world, this one has the classic fantasy races. And they got hit hard by demons too. But, unlike the Old World folk, they managed to hold them off for a while. With some help of a key sacrifice, most of the nature spirits have been done in. Small price to pay, some would say, for keeping demons out of the next zip code.

Since I never got much mileage out of PotSM when I bought it, and since I really wanted to run Freeport, it seemed a natural to combine the too. Some handy renaming, some chopping off of the Old World, and some renaming of the lands around what would be called the Caribbean, if someone hadn't named it the Graceful Sea first, and there we go.

The three principle powers are Avignon (Louisiana, Miss. bits of Tejas), New Avalon the Southern Empire Held in the Gracious Arms of the Perpetual Virgin Queen, Holder of the Keys of Knowledge, Granter of All that is Just and Pure, Boudicca III (Shaklebolt sez:" No, I think you will find that it is pronounced 'Victoria'....VIC-TOR-I-A!") and the Northern Confederation of City States, with Massa as it's nominal capital.

Oh, how did they get there? Exodus. See with demons all over the old world, and most of the Gods caught up in the fight (so much that those peksy worshippers just get underfoot...yes, the are an aloof lot, look at who created them) Something had to be done. So the God of the Sea, Atla, and Gnosis decided to save who they could. Knowing that lands to the West were ready for new blood, the two Gods (with Jack of All, Bleedin' Pirate God tagging along) instructed their priests to gather up the people and set sail to new climes. Trouble is, sea worthy craft were all circa 1300, lot of work for good old Atla to get them there.

This was over 200 years ago. And now the people are just starting to get right proper Magellanic ships ready to go. Lots of brave folk have set out back east. You know they were brave, cause they didn't return.

So, In the Northern Continent, we have our three nations of the Old Worlde all set up nicely and moving along. The orcs and the elves of the wild pretty much keep to their own; well, some elves are just toooo smug for anyones good, and orcs, well, raiding villages and pillaging is keeping to their own, you don't want them getting to serious. The islands of the Graceful sea is belongs to whomever can hold them long enough. Most of the Southern Continent is "Here it's so bad the dragons buggered off", and in the Southern Alta Ocean we have the largely unexplored Golden Archipelago (stolen by YT from 7th Sea, thanks AEG).

Next week in another by week, so no game. I started them with the first adventure in the Freeport Trilogy, Death in..., we got most of the way thru it, so next time we finish that up. I will be planting seeds for two of Goodman Games Dungeon Crawl Classics, #24 Legend of the Ripper and #38 Escape from the Forest of Lanterns.

Good times.
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we had our by-week. So this past Sunday was Freeport night, and the continuation of Madness in Freeport.

Good game, well played by all involved.

Shaklebolt is becoming something of a leader, and a thief and fighter. His lockpicking and high notice, applied with the Investigator Edge came in useful for many of the traps in this dungeon.

Converting a Death Touch spell from D&D was a bit of a wonk.

Special Attacks: Death touch—Once per day, successful melee touch attack against living creature, roll 3d6; subject dies if total equals its current hp.

As we know, no such thing as hp in SW. So, I did the nearest I could. Essentially, the touch opponent must make a Vigor roll. If he misses, he is reduced to Inc. Leaving him open for Coup de Grace.

One character missed the roll. And if not for another character having Common Bond, would have had to get it in the gut with a knife.

Now, players sometimes have a one track mind. So, they clear out the temple, a temple devoted to a Lovecraftian Unspeakable One. Well, they kill all the cultists and dispose of the walking dead. So, first order of buisness, "Well, looks like we have a great secret base now. Good thing they went thru all the trouble to build it for us."

Sigh. Of course, the rest of the game world catches up to them. They realize that the hostage in the temple, was the macguffin, and so returned him too the quest giver. Along with a damned tome of rituals to the aforementioned Unspeakable One. Quest giver, being a priest of good Knowledge God, turns over the tome to the city officials, them being really really keen on stamping out cults (not really). So next morn, they see the local paper reporting on their raid, and that the ruling folks post a guard.

Ah well, I am adapting Dungeon Crawl Classics, #24 Legend of the Ripper, the setting of which is a hotel called Ten Bells. I've changed the name too the Torchwood Inn. Just to jazz them up.
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skylion wrote:
Shaklebolt is becoming something of a leader, and a thief and fighter. His lockpicking and high notice, applied with the Investigator Edge came in useful for many of the traps in this dungeon.

I don't see how Investigator would be of any use in such a situation. The bonuses it provides are for Investigation and Streetwise. While it does give a Notice bonus, it's a situational modifier for sifting through evidence. Alertness and Thief would appear to be more applicable.
skylion
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.....oops.

He wants the Investigator Edge next. He got the Thief Edge already.
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Freeporting Reply with quote

skylion wrote:

Thanks to Wigs for the great conversion, it was very helpful.

You're welcome.
skylion
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, in the can tonite is the first part of (most of the first part) the DCC Legend of the Ripper adventure. I fined tuned this game more towards and investigation style, at least for the beginning section.

First off thou, they had to navigate thru the bureaucracy of the Freeport Captains Council. The had a brother of the Temple of the the God of Knowledge vouch for them. Essential the chief investigator wanted to pin the cult activities on the party. But they escaped that handily. Shaklebolt made Torchwood's presence know the the local authority at large; still insisting he and his team are working for "The Queen". As for right now, they are flagged eccentric and possibly useful.

So, investigating the curiously haunted Torchwood Inn was their next priority, as it seems to center on the 50 year Anniversary of the so-called, Ripper Murders. As written the DCC explicitly stays away from investigation. It sorta hand waves that away and has the characters find the hotel to be the source. I handled part of the investigation last adventure, and the rest was secured in the first section tonite. Lots of questioning the locals of Drac's End, running into at least one blind alley trapped by ghouls (a story seed for another adventure, a drug called Ghoul Juice is well on the way to creating a wave of ghoulish activity soon)

I don't really like doing room by room, blow by blow accounts; so ghouls, ghosts, monstrous sized rats, bats, and spiders, and lots of Guts checks for this evil infested place. They manage to clear out the lower bar/tavern area. I got to damage one of the party fairly badly with an acidic ooze at one point. But, only three wounds, and they had a Miracle guy and a handy one wound potion. And gave several close calls with the Ghost's TK attacks with tables, knives, pots, pans and some stray Dire Rats.

But, we had to call it a night, with about maybe three hours of game time in. I really have to reign these guys in. Bit too much table talk.
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished up the last part of the Rippers game.

Man, my players finally learned some tactics this game. Typically they are rush and charge on their own separate actions almost every game. But they had to gang up and beat a RedCap.

First, a dose of Quickness from the Mage (on a Joker) on the Priest of the God of Knowledge (Gnosis). Gnosian Priest charges in on his Ace (he has Champion) with a Wild Attack. Now before the party entered this battle, the Gnosian Priest' player used the Relic Adventure card. So I had him roll on the PotSM Relic table. Bang! got a nat20. +2 Fighting, +2 damage, +1 Parry.
So against evil RedCap, he already has an impressive +6 to hit/damage and a +2 parry with that now Magic Spear (so, straight Parry) Oh, he used his first Quickness action to hit the RedCap with Confusion. Got a raise, I failed the roll and a benny wasn't helping me. Glad that Relic card is outta the game.

We have a seriously hurt RedCap. I was able to soak him down to two wounds, but he has Improved Nerves of Steel. So on his turn (ten), I make him crush the Gnosian Priest. So I dealt out two wounds myself with two Wild Attacks on his Improved Frenzy.

Next up was the two shootists. They stayed at range and opened up with a two fisted salvo of double barreled flintlock pistols. I had two Bennies left, and managed too hold at three wounds.

Next round. It was notin' but mop up. I dealt myself a lowly deuce. And the gang got all court cards. They all held down to the lowest card and acted as a team. Mage opens fire with three bolts, shootists drop weapons and pull out a pistol per, and the Priest is just there to make sure the thing is really really dead.

End result. One pair of Iron Boots and a empty red stocking cap, and a greasy smear on the floor. Team Torchwood saves the day.

They also took pains to make sure they could buy up the old Torchwood Inn, and with Shaklebolt's Knowledge Bureaucracy skill, were able to keep the property taxes to manageable level. Now the team is going to start investing in the Drac's End neighborhood. Since I am using the PotSM rules, they are now up to +9 Fame, and got a +2 Charisma Reward. In the last adventure, the leader of the Captain's Council, Verliane, made a deal with them to investigate the Ripper Murder. So they got in good with him by a degree.

Too bad. Next adventure he's gonna turn on them.

Freeportin.....
Savage Mommy!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, the game sounds like a lot of fun. Keep the posts coming. I'm looking forward to running some SW for my gaming group.

Beldar
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: