Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why not more science fiction?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
siefertma
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Why not more science fiction? Reply with quote

As much as I appreciate Slipstream, most of the savage settings, both from Pinncale and the licensees have been pulp or fantasy. Why haven't we seen anyone come out with a honest to goodness sci-fi setting? (And don't get me started on "Red Rising.")

Is there anything in the pipeline that I have missed?

Visit No School Like The Old School: http://noschoololdschoolgames.blogspot.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Snate56
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, give them a chance, the next hit in this trilogy of terror will be Weird War II and then they'll probably sleep for a week solid, after that...
Oh, wait: the printing of the tool kits.

Somewhere in there we might get an inkling of what's on the horizon.

TAG just re-launched Necropolis

I like sci fi too, although I'm one of the few who didn't really look forward to Red Rising. But I be patient.

SteveN
siefertma
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd forgotten all about Necropolis.

I guess what I'm looking for is a good space opera or hardish-sci-fi setting.

Visit No School Like The Old School: http://noschoololdschoolgames.blogspot.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Alan
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it might not be quite the same but the toolkits are available which should take a lot of the sting out of creating your own or converting some particular setting you are taken with - be it rpg tv show, comic or other.

Follow Savage Mojo on Twitter.
C.A.Pryde
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Necropolis is "hardish," although it sounds like the lack of space ships is probably what you are missing. But it would definitely be worth your time to eyeball a copy of the new hardback at your FLGS. The new artwork and the few changes really speak to the sci-fi element of the setting.
BluSponge
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well remember its not just about Pinnacle saying, "hey, let's publish a hard sci-fi setting." I mean, Red Rising has been in the can for how long now? It's about coming up with a compelling and distinguished setting, something a bit more than warmed over Traveller. And then they have to develop a plot point campaign.

So as to why there haven't been more? Probably because fantasy is the bigger seller, and Pinnacle has been juggling a lot of properties already. Now that the licensees program has been opened up, I expect we'll see a few more options.

Myself, I don't have a craving for anything but Star Frontiers with the serial numbers filed off. Sounds sad, but that's what I really want. So I expect the Sci-Fi toolkits or companion would handle my sci-fi needs just fine.

Tom
zeth
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a setting somewhere where you played space police busting up an intergalactic drug ring. But I can't seem to find the name or pdf it was in. It was a home brew and on savage heroes I think.
The GIT!
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you've probably already had a look at this but, just in case you haven't, this document does a pretty good job of helping to convert Classic Traveller over to Savage Worlds (although I don't think it is optimised for SWEX).

Red-24 Savage Traveller
PEGShane
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ding!

Thanks, BluSponge.

Shane

BluSponge wrote:
Well remember its not just about Pinnacle saying, "hey, let's publish a hard sci-fi setting." I mean, Red Rising has been in the can for how long now? It's about coming up with a compelling and distinguished setting, something a bit more than warmed over Traveller. And then they have to develop a plot point campaign.

So as to why there haven't been more? Probably because fantasy is the bigger seller, and Pinnacle has been juggling a lot of properties already. Now that the licensees program has been opened up, I expect we'll see a few more options.

Myself, I don't have a craving for anything but Star Frontiers with the serial numbers filed off. Sounds sad, but that's what I really want. So I expect the Sci-Fi toolkits or companion would handle my sci-fi needs just fine.

Tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: