Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Opinions needed for a new gizmo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West
View previous topic :: View next topic  
James Butler Hickok
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:04 am    Post subject: Opinions needed for a new gizmo Reply with quote

Ok, so my main player is working on his scientists gizmo. he likes to be as oddball about it as possible since the mad-sci is a child.

Next were gonna work on a cotton candy gun. Laughing

But right now, we are still trying to decide on the malfunctions for the "Steampowered card shuffler and automatic dealer"

Now the idea of the card shuffler is well within the bounds of normal tech at this point in time, add alittle collegium automaton technology for some hand acuators to deal the cards... and you got an automatic card slinging machine that never cheats or gets to tired to toss cards. automaton directive plates allow you to change the game and the number of players.

Now the issue we are having, is the malfunction table. we dont know how far is to far on the major and catastrophic malfunctions.

Our initial thoughts were this.

Minor:
The machine goes haywire, spitting cards 4' into the air... 52 pick up anyone?

Major: the dealer goes rabid and whips a half dozen cards at one or more players 1D4 damage a card. (Ever see Mythbusters? playing cards can hurt you)

Catastrophic: the dealer goes full auto, throwing every card in the deck in the direction of each of it's preset player positions, split the number of flying cards evenly among the positions occupied, or precieved as occupied by the control settings. 1D4+2 per card.

Now i realise that is a dice rolling nightmare. maybe we'll go with 1 card per success and raise on the dealers throwing skill... 4D12 for it's throwing:cards by the way, and just base the damage off the number of raises scored.

what do you all think?
oddtail
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd make it simpler, a bit. And I'd reduce the damage - a playing card can hurt you, but it can't hurt you BADLY, and wounds are more than just little cuts. Those are handled by Wind. I mean, come on, 5 cards would mean 5d4 damage, that's more than from a Peacemaker bullet.

I'd go as follows:

Major: the machine chucks all cards at the positions where the players are sitting. Everyone at the poker table suffers 2d6 Wind.
Catastrophe: the machine explodes, chucking cogwheels and scraps of metal all over the place. Treat this as an explosion dealing 2d10 damage, with a Burst Radius of 1.
Snate56
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would change the Major malfunction to Catastrophic and have the machine just shred the deck for Major.

SteveN
James Butler Hickok
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acually cards can hurt you BADLY, ever watch the episode of mythbusters where they made a card thrower? you can bury a regular playing card almost 1/2inch into into human flesh.

But your right, it is alittle excessive. And i do like your suggestion

So i will talk to the mad-sci and get his opinion on your suggestions. he is my senior gamer so i afford him the luxury of getting his opinion on this things heard before a final decision.

I think i will make a "Hit in the eye" roll for a noggin location hit. and if the eye is hit, the 2d6 does wound rather then wind.
oddtail
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Butler Hickok wrote:
Acually cards can hurt you BADLY, ever watch the episode of mythbusters where they made a card thrower? you can bury a regular playing card almost 1/2inch into into human flesh.

When I said "badly", I meant "getting stabbed/shot etc.". Remember that getting stabbed with a knife by an average person is only one wound, and most revolvers rarely deal more than one wound (Peacemakers and the like deal two on average).

Which seems to indicate that a "wound" in Deadlands is a big deal.
SlasherEpoch
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of the wind damage.

But think outside the box - a catastophe for a machine that flawlessly deals cards might mean that it deals six cards to one player, with two of them exactly on top of each other. Now, that's not so bad until some names like "cheater" begin to fly around...

Evil Wig Enterprises Minion #15 - "The
Machete"
Snate56
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get visions of this thing getting possessed, like that pressing machine in the Stephen King story... Twisted Evil

"Hi, I'm Lily, What can I get for you fine gentlemen tonight?"
"Oooo! That's a cute little thang!, What does it d.. OW! Durn! Looks like I've cut my finger..."

SteveN
James Butler Hickok
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i acually like that idea alot Slasher, i could see how that would be a major problem, i think that will be the minor malfunction

Major malfunction, will be to throw a card or two at someone. couple dice of wind, unless it hits the eye

Catastrophic will be to blow up and shower parts in a blast rad 1
SlasherEpoch
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catastrophic will be to blow up and shower parts in a blast rad 1

Oooh, and scatters the poker chips...

Evil Wig Enterprises Minion #15 - "The
Machete"
James Butler Hickok
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are just full of good ideas Slash, my player's eyes lit right up when i suggested the extra card going to one player and then him getting caught with it.
Lord Skudley
Heroic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions needed for a new gizmo Reply with quote

But right now, we are still trying to decide on the malfunctions for the "Steampowered card shuffler and automatic dealer"

OMG!!!! Is your player's name "Chris"???
The first Deadlands game I ran my Mad Scientist wanted to make one of those!!!
James Butler Hickok
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No acually his name is Clint, and no... he isnt our illustrious rules lawyer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: