Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Untangling the Entangle Spell

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Official Answers on How the Core Rules Work
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lysander
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Untangling the Entangle Spell Reply with quote

I and my GM have been wrestling with this spell for a bit and we seem to have some confusion on several points. I'd like to ask several questions related to its use, because the dingbat wizard (me) likes to use it for some reason and the brief spell write up leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion (of course, I might be trying to 'over think' the spell and its effects as well...)

Okay. Here Goes. (Deep breath, figuratively speaking...)

Vs. 1 target (2 PP)
1) I make a casting roll. Is this a TN 4 for ranged attack, or TN target parry, or do you go straight to Cast roll vs. Target Agility? [Ex.: I roll a 3 on Cast roll; does this fail, or does the victim have to make an opposed agility roll, needing a 3 or better to get out?]{Basically, do I have to get a 4 or better to even have a chance of starting the situation?}

2) With a success w/ no raise on the initial opposed agility roll, target has the -2 to Str/Agi/Pace starting on the Targets next action. On Target's action, he has -2 to try to break free w/ Str/Agi roll vs. TN 4, correct?

3) Okay, with a success and raise on the initial opposed agility roll, target is effectively immobilized starting on its next action. On the target's next action, he can do nothing (no roll to get out at all), or does he get a roll at -2 str/agi to get out? If target has no chance to get out on his own, how long does the spell keep the target pinned down?

4) On this roll to break free, a success only gets the target out, but no action, and a success w/ raise gets target out and target has full turn to act, correct? (like a shaken effect...?)

Target Medium Burst Template - 4pp
5) User makes a casting roll at a particular spot from which the burst template emanates. Is this a TN 4, or do you go directly to Cast Roll vs. all targets Agility rolls from that spot? [Ex. as above, I roll a 3 to cast; does spell fail, or do all targets roll against 3 on agility to resist?]

6) How long does the AoE entangle last? (Ex.: I cast the AoE version and make the rolls vs. those within. Enemy/Friend then moves into the AoE after its been cast. Does this person roll opposed vs. the Cast roll or is the target immune because the spell has finished trying to snag those in the initial AoE?)

7) If a partially held target is able to move out of the initial AoE, does this change anything, or does he still have the -2 penalty until he gets himself untangled. If he still has to roll, how long can the spell keep him partially affected?

Cool Lastly, I have the Wizard edge, which gets a -1 PP cost per raise. How and when does this apply to the scenarios above (single/AoE) for purpose of determining if I've saved any points casting this?

Thank you for your time in advance to answer these questions. It might seem a bit nitpicky, but these situations have come up more than once and we're wanting to get a formal opinion on these 8 questions...[/u]
Wiggy
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Untangling the Entangle Spell Reply with quote

Quote:

Vs. 1 target (2 PP)
1) I make a casting roll. Is this a TN 4 for ranged attack, or TN target parry, or do you go straight to Cast roll vs. Target Agility? [Ex.: I roll a 3 on Cast roll; does this fail, or does the victim have to make an opposed agility roll, needing a 3 or better to get out?]{Basically, do I have to get a 4 or better to even have a chance of starting the situation?}

Entangle is really two distinct steps.

1. The caster makes his arcane skill roll. If it's 3 or lower, the spell fails to go off.
2. Assuming a roll of 4+, the victim then makes his Agility roll against the arcane skill roll.

Quote:

2) With a success w/ no raise on the initial opposed agility roll, target has the -2 to Str/Agi/Pace starting on the Targets next action. On Target's action, he has -2 to try to break free w/ Str/Agi roll vs. TN 4, correct?

No, the spell says skills linked to Agility and Strength. His attempt to break out is unmodified against TN 4.

Quote:
3) Okay, with a success and raise on the initial opposed agility roll, target is effectively immobilized starting on its next action. On the target's next action, he can do nothing (no roll to get out at all), or does he get a roll at -2 str/agi to get out? If target has no chance to get out on his own, how long does the spell keep the target pinned down?

He can always roll to get out, but again there is no -2. That's a skill penalty, not an attribute penalty. A target always has a chance to get out, but he remains entangled until he breaks out or his friends help him.

Quote:
4) On this roll to break free, a success only gets the target out, but no action, and a success w/ raise gets target out and target has full turn to act, correct? (like a shaken effect...?)

Answered here... http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18684

Basically, escaping is just an action, so as written a raise or success does the same thing--frees the character and allows him to continuing acting (assuming he stated other actions beforehand and took appropriate multi action penalties to his escape roll).

Quote:
Target Medium Burst Template - 4pp
5) User makes a casting roll at a particular spot from which the burst template emanates. Is this a TN 4, or do you go directly to Cast Roll vs. all targets Agility rolls from that spot? [Ex. as above, I roll a 3 to cast; does spell fail, or do all targets roll against 3 on agility to resist?]

Exactly as above--a roll of 3 or less means there is no spell.

Quote:
6) How long does the AoE entangle last? (Ex.: I cast the AoE version and make the rolls vs. those within. Enemy/Friend then moves into the AoE after its been cast. Does this person roll opposed vs. the Cast roll or is the target immune because the spell has finished trying to snag those in the initial AoE?)

The spell is instant in regards the area effected. Once those in the area roll Agility, anyone can then enter the area safely. For instance, if the spell creates vines, the vines might reach out and grab people. After that initial description, vines which failed to entangle someone wither, disappear, or just lie dormant--they don't try to entangle people moving into the area afterward.

Quote:
7) If a partially held target is able to move out of the initial AoE, does this change anything, or does he still have the -2 penalty until he gets himself untangled. If he still has to roll, how long can the spell keep him partially affected?

There is no AoE in the way you're thinking. Victims are either entangled the instant it is cast or the spell doesn't affect them in any way. The template simply allows more victims to be entangled in a single casting.

Quote:
Lastly, I have the Wizard edge, which gets a -1 PP cost per raise. How and when does this apply to the scenarios above (single/AoE) for purpose of determining if I've saved any points casting this?

Because entangle has two steps, that's based purely on the casting roll. If you roll an 8+, you get the Wizard modifier.

Wiggy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Official Answers on How the Core Rules Work All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: