Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Savage GRW?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Hey Pinnacle!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seeker of Truth
Heroic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Savage GRW? Reply with quote

I'm just as upset as everyone else in about Slaughter Gulch being shelved for the time being, I was curious if there's any plans to work out anything for Deadlands and Showdown. The main thing would just be point values for the edges and hindrances, but just curious if this is in the works at all.
PEGShane
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a couple of different conversions done for GRW, but nothing we ever really got around to polishing or playtesting.

I guess my first question would be, why do a conversion? GRW works great as-is, and doesn't really need the Savage treatment.

Thanks!

Shane
shopkeepjon
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PEGShane wrote:
We have a couple of different conversions done for GRW, but nothing we ever really got around to polishing or playtesting.

I guess my first question would be, why do a conversion? GRW works great as-is, and doesn't really need the Savage treatment.

Thanks!

Shane

Where to begin?
    1. Savage worlds is viewed as a supported game. You are still making new product for it. This makes it more "marketable" to new players/friends than GRW which is viewed as a dead game.
    2. A lot of people are playing Savage Worlds and, thus, already know the rules to "Showdown". This is not true of GRW. Again, it's easier to convince people to play the game.
    3. Having played both (and I do like GRW), Savage Worlds/Showdown is a cleaner system. It just plays smoother and better.

I would love to see a "Savaged" GRW. I would buy it and I would play it. If it were marketed in a way that supported it, I would sell it in my store.

The miniatures side of Savage Worlds deserves a real chance. The Rippers game that you released didn't really do that. Whether true or not and whether fair or not, the Rippers miniatures game was seen as over priced, under edited and having generally low production values. This is especially true when compared to what we have grown to expect from Great White Games/Pinnacle.

The first Savage Worlds miniatures game needed to be slick and impressive. It wasn't. Please give this system the chance that it deserves.

ShopKeepJon
MadTinkerer
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shopkeepjon wrote:
The miniatures side of Savage Worlds deserves a real chance. The Rippers game that you released didn't really do that. Whether true or not and whether fair or not, the Rippers miniatures game was seen as over priced, under edited and having generally low production values. This is especially true when compared to what we have grown to expect from Great White Games/Pinnacle.

The first Savage Worlds miniatures game needed to be slick and impressive. It wasn't. Please give this system the chance that it deserves.

My problem with the Rippers miniatures game was that I couldn't afford the miniatures. I thought the book itself was pretty slick (it certainly held up to the standards of pre-color SW books, which was the style at the time). The trouble was that I couldn't afford the minis. It's the same reason I don't play Warhammer anymore: purely due to my budget. (I gave away most of my Citadel minis when I moved and haven't been able to afford to put together a new army since.) With GRW I could use the Cardstock Cowboys.

On a related note, I also think the new Fields of Honor is great. It's pretty much the perfect product for my budget. The trouble is that when I got it, and ever since, my gaming group hasn't been interested in wargaming, and schedule conflicts have kept us from playing anything for the last few months anyway! So frustrating... Crying or Very sad

Check out Mad Tinkerer Dot Org!
shopkeepjon
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke from my experiences as a store owner trying to sell the Rippers miniatures game. No matter how much I praised the game, the overwhelming response was "It just seems too expensive for the quality/size of the book." This is not a problem that I have with most Pinnacle products.

As for the miniatures, $25 for a workable force isn't very expensive. It's a skirmish game after all.

By the way, the packaging of the miniatures was definitely not the problem. That was fairly slick. It was the book itself that I couldn't sell.

ShopKeepJon
Ogma
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point ShopKeepJon... My local FLGS has four copies of the 'Rippers' miniatures game (and a few boxes of the minis) on their shelves and they've been there since the game was first released... Sad
PEGShane
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a very special situation. We took a few original minis and a few of the Vampire Wars minis via a special arrangement with Old Glory and tried to do something kinda cool with an extremely limited budget (at the time). Old Glory wasn't really interested in making a Big Deal out of it, then I moved to CA to work on City of Heroes and Villains, and it just wasn't a viable product anymore.

As for GRW, it's just not something we're going to push again anytime soon. The minis have sold the vast majority of all they're going to sell so I just can't see putting them back into any kind of real production.

We'd hoped to have Slaughter Gulch out by now, of course, but that didn't pan out either.

Doesn't mean it's all a lost cause--just have to make sure it makes sense; and the bandwidth to even do *that* right now is really tight.

Shane
MadTinkerer
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well we certainly wouldn't want PEG to go under because of an unprofitable miniatures line. Much as I'd like prepainted plastic minis for Low Life, I know that's not going to happen! Laughing

I'd also love NE Heroclix, but I doubt there'd be much of a market for them either.

Check out Mad Tinkerer Dot Org!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Hey Pinnacle! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: