Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HOE The Rest of the Earth
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are there survivor settlements outside the US West?
Yes
25%
 25%  [ 49 ]
Yes
25%
 25%  [ 49 ]
Yes
25%
 25%  [ 49 ]
Yes
25%
 25%  [ 49 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 196

oss1ncrp
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:25 am    Post subject: HOE The Rest of the Earth Reply with quote

So I have tried to cantact Mr. Hopler via Shane and have been informed he is no longer with Pinnacle/GWG. So anyone out there know - Is the West the only place that there are full-on, honest to G! humans? The campaign that I'm involved in has the question opened.

Simply, it appears that the western US and a VERY few survivor settlements East of the Big Missup are the only living/breathing souls left on Earth. Does this appear to be the case? Was this what would have been made plain had Pinnacle continued to produce HOE?

Wondering mostly in terms of Canada (and where the heck are those darned Mormons) and Mexico to S. America. Cool stuff you can play with in both directions. While thinking that way, Legion's Newfoundland book intimates the info could be used in an HOE setting. Thinking about old powerful sorts, it would be fun to play out of Rome, Greece, Russia or EGYPT! Just wondering if the original design team had even speculated whether there were survivors anywhere else. Arrow
Asmodai
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually that's a wrong impression. Quite like Deadlands there is stuff happening all over the world. However the games are American west centric and that's where most of it does happen...

The Reckoners went on a rampage through the biggest and largest cities and concentrations of people on Earth. Once they were done they moved on. So wherever there are rural or out of the way places there are settlements, and there are possibly even some larger cities that were left untouched by the Reckoners for this reason or that...

But as Pinnacle focused on the Weird/Wasted/Outta the Way West there was never much need for actual game material detailing the rest of the world. (They did get to Canada and the american east in Deadlands Classic through)

Canada is huge and has a a lot of settlments all over that are not very connected with large cnetres that were nuked and/or visited by the Reckoners so it's fair game... however do count in that there are quite probably mutants and walking dead all over the largest population centres...
BDFlory
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: HOE The Rest of the Earth Reply with quote

oss1ncrp wrote:
Just wondering if the original design team had even speculated whether there were survivors anywhere else. Arrow

Speculated, sure.

As a rule of thumb, just assume that anywhere with a high population density (China, Europe, Japan, East of the Miss, etc.) is pretty much overrun with zombies and other undead. There are a few holdouts even in these areas.

Areas with lower population densities are in about the same situation as the American West, or better off (though usually not by much).

The Mormon are doing as well as anyone post-Judgment Day, and better than most. They headed quite a ways north of the border and holed up in the wilder areas of Canada, far from any population centers. Life's pretty rough up there, but at least they aren't getting overrun with zombies everyday.

We don't have any plans to cover areas outside the Wasted West, for the record. Might happen a *ways* down the road, but not for quite a while, if ever.
oss1ncrp
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BD Wrote:

We don't have any plans to cover areas outside the Wasted West, for the record. Might happen a *ways* down the road, but not for quite a while, if ever.

BD, you wrote 'we' - are you the official word for the Deadlands stuff. Thought I have been heavily involved with Pinnacle, the switch to GWG and the lead switch from Shane to Sparky have passed me by. Are you now the line editor or whatever title they are now bestowing at GWG for Deadlands and specifically HOE?

Also, from your response, are you basically saying that in Hopler's original plans, the rest of the world was messed up, but was still there similar to the west - just wasn't going to be covered in any depth? NOT, that it was basically completely dead or a walking zombie land like the inference is that the East is?

Thanks. Arrow
BDFlory
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oss1ncrp wrote:
BD Wrote:
BD, you wrote 'we' - are you the official word for the Deadlands stuff.

Pretty much, yeah.

Quote:
Are you now the line editor or whatever title they are now bestowing at GWG for Deadlands and specifically HOE?

Uh...no comment. *At this moment* all I can say is that I'm writing all three of the Deadlands Reloaded books for Savage Worlds (Weird West, Hell on Earth, and Lost Colony).

Quote:

Also, from your response, are you basically saying that in Hopler's original plans, the rest of the world was messed up, but was still there similar to the west - just wasn't going to be covered in any depth? NOT, that it was basically completely dead or a walking zombie land like the inference is that the East is?

Parts of the rest of the world are survivable, some parts are not. Just like in the US, there're areas that are better and worse off. So, somewhere like Australia, for example - far less population density, and likely a decent population of "Old Ways" Aborigines - would probably be roughly similar to the Wasted West. Somewhere like Japan - extremely high population and city density - is pretty much unlivable post Judgment Day.

Regardless, we don't have any plans to cover areas outside of the American West for Weird West or Hell on Earth for the foreseeable future. (Lost Colony is going to focus on Banshsee, obviously, with some material on the Faraway System in general.)
Psykoguy
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been several references to survivors outside of the west. For example, in Brain Burners, when discussing a couple of sykotropic drugs, the books mention that they're easier to aquire in the settlements in Asia. Also, on a section talking about ComSat, they mention that stations around the world reported that the rest of the world was as bad as the west. Don't forget that Cyborgs also talks of Mexico, and Iron Oasis talks about the Mormons up north. Waste Warriors also talks about the ship that a number of English soldiers took to go back home, so even if the country didn't survive, i wouldn't be suprised if a settlement popped up from there.

The rest of the world is pretty messed up, but there are people there, the big 4 need us as much as we fear them.
SlasherEpoch
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Austrailia, Kamchatka, the Vatican, Malta, Easter Island, lots of Africa...any place with low density or high spiritual/conspiratorial connections would be okay.

Evil Wig Enterprises Minion #15 - "The
Machete"
Ray
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally pity the folks on the Moon and Mars. They might have been able to figure out a method of surviving despite the disconnection with Earth. Add to that the Space Ships out in the Belt.

It's already been stated that the folks on the Space Stations are dead dead dead. Sometimes they're still moving, but they're dead.
Asmodai
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray wrote:
I personally pity the folks on the Moon and Mars. They might have been able to figure out a method of surviving despite the disconnection with Earth. Add to that the Space Ships out in the Belt.

Actually could the Reckoners get off Earth?
Noshrok Grimskull
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahem... "Unity"? Cool

Maybe not by their own power (what with them being now trapped in physical bodies that cannot fly), but if they found a functional spaceship/rocket/UFO/whatever, sure, why not?

"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes 'ding' when there's stuff." - The Doctor (Doctor Who)
Asmodai
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noshrok Grimskull wrote:
Ahem... "Unity"? Cool

Maybe not by their own power (what with them being now trapped in physical bodies that cannot fly), but if they found a functional spaceship/rocket/UFO/whatever, sure, why not?

That's exactly why i'm wondering... the Reckoners needed The Unity to get to Banshee... it seems liek they are trapped on Earth and couldn't get to the colonies...
oss1ncrp
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Asmodai"]
Noshrok Grimskull wrote:
Ahem... "Unity"? Cool

That's exactly why i'm wondering... the Reckoners needed The Unity to get to Banshee... it seems liek they are trapped on Earth and couldn't get to the colonies...

I didn't think they needed or wanted the Unity to get them to Banshee. I thought their getting there at that time was not really of their chosing, but I could be REAL wrong on that.

My understanding, or misunderstanding is that the Hunting Grounds encompasses everything. For the Reckoners to have any ability to do anything somewhere is based on there being fear there to work with. Moon, Mars other planets with very low numbers of inhabitants and thus fear, would be places they just coulnd't get to or affect.

Somewhere, I though it was mentioned that there are a myriad of worlds out there that the Reckoners and other Fear Mongers could exploit and get to via the hunting grounds and had done in the past. Could be wrong about that. Arrow
Psykoguy
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hunting grounds DO encompass everything, the reason they were transported to Banshee is because they're relatively powerless there.
Sean
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acctualy we here in Karlsruhe Germany thought about playing HOE here in Europe, but it showed up as to much work.

We first thought which areas got the most Damage from G-Bombs, which areas might have been spared (and why?) and what the Apocalypse might have done to the enviroment at all.

As for the arcane Backgrounds:
Think about the movie Indiana Jones and the holy Grail - the Grail and some knights may still be around and forming a Group similar to the Templars (but more like the "Knights of the Round Table") - we also had many other Knigthorders wich have vanished in europe (and some suppose they are still out there and hiding)

It may even be possible that some Muties found out on their own how to use the power of the Glow - so there might be Doomsayers there as well.

Sykers are no problem as an arcane Background, as they where common in Europe in pre-war times as well as in America.

We though that maybe some native religions might have also been able to contact the nature Spirits like the Old-Way Indians. (Celtic Druids for example - think about Miraculix in Asterix). Think also about big nature spirits supposed to inhabit the black forest (Unicron, wyvers).

As for Junkers: think about the techspirit of the first car lurking around Mannheim Very Happy

Some other questions about locations in Europe:
Where is Atlantis?
Where is the insle with King Arthur (and his adviser Merlin) - who is supposed to appear again when his people (the britains) need him most. (also the same is said about Barbarossa - Emperor of the "Holy Roman Empire German Nation").

What has happened to Holy Citys like Rome or Jerusalem (which is not in Europe but still close enough)?

We even thought about our home city Karlsruhe which may have sufferd less damage in the war because of its arcane protection from a pentagram designed by the freemansons (take the 4 Bigest Churces of Karlsruhe and the castle and conect them).

Another thing is that some of the old bunkers after WW2 might still contain some Nazi stuff (i know at least one which isn't accessible - but is supposed to be still intact even after all the years [it got evacuated in the last days and the entrances blown - but in a HOE cenario who knows?])

Also there are a lot of egyptian artifacts spread all over europe - and all the egyptian mummies still lying around there may also be sources of adventures.
Kain A. Ashburner
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean wrote:

We though that maybe some native religions might have also been able to contact the nature Spirits like the Old-Way Indians. (Celtic Druids for example - think about Miraculix in Asterix). Think also about big nature spirits supposed to inhabit the black forest (Unicron, wyvers).

Hehe... for some reason no one has bothered to translate Asterix and bring it to the US yet. I doubt most people even know who he is.

Quote:

Where is the insle with King Arthur (and his adviser Merlin) - who is supposed to appear again when his people (the britains) need him most. (also the same is said about Barbarossa - Emperor of the "Holy Roman Empire German Nation").

I've heard tales that the royal family of Great Britain knows the location of Avalon, which is where Arthur is said to be held. I'd imagine after Judgement Day he woke up and began assembling knights.

Quote:
What has happened to Holy Citys like Rome or Jerusalem (which is not in Europe but still close enough)?

I can say with absolute certaintity that the entire Middle East is probably one giant sea of glass Laughing However, anything that did survive is probably filled with Muties who are still fighting their god damn holy war...

Quote:

Another thing is that some of the old bunkers after WW2 might still contain some Nazi stuff (i know at least one which isn't accessible - but is supposed to be still intact even after all the years [it got evacuated in the last days and the entrances blown - but in a HOE cenario who knows?])

I'd imagine some of these guys started up shop again when the bombs dropped. They are probably just a mirror of Throckmorton, except maybe a bit bigger.
BaconIsTasty
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kain A. Ashburner wrote:
Sean wrote:

Hehe... for some reason no one has bothered to translate Asterix and bring it to the US yet. I doubt most people even know who he is.

I really want to read some Asterix...I've had one comic since a little kid that I was never able to read-I'd just look at the pictures.
Mort
Heroic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaconIsTasty wrote:
Kain A. Ashburner wrote:

I really want to read some Asterix...I've had one comic since a little kid that I was never able to read-I'd just look at the pictures.

We get translated versions over here.

I'll take a look about & see if I can find a place that stocks them & will ship to America if you want
Mort
Heroic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

or of course

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0752866052/qid=1126429208/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-1849822-6049558?v=glance&s=books&n=507846
Asmodai
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean wrote:
. Think also about big nature spirits supposed to inhabit the black forest (Unicron, wyvers).

Oh crap... Unicron... in Schwarzwald!
Run away, run away!

Where is the Matrix!

AAAAAAAAAAAARgh! Wink
BaconIsTasty
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mort wrote:
or of course

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0752866052/qid=1126429208/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-1849822-6049558?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Yay! As a Sequential Arts major I love this stuff.

Now back on topic...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: