Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Savage Worlds Official (kinda) Min / Maxxer Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you Min / Max ?
Yep, proudly
26%
 26%  [ 24 ]
not unless it fits my character concept (or some other justification)
56%
 56%  [ 52 ]
Nope never. Period
17%
 17%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 92

Wiggy
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seanwalsh wrote:
I haven't seen this one mentioned:

Any Reach weapon + First Strike = 2 attacks per round.

More like a house rule going by the wording of the rules. First Strike mentions attacks against foes who move adjacent. It doesn't say foes who move within Reach of a weapon.

Wiggy
AFDia
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wiggy wrote:
seanwalsh wrote:

More like a house rule going by the wording of the rules. First Strike mentions attacks against foes who move adjacent. It doesn't say foes who move within Reach of a weapon.

Wiggy

Nonetheless it is a good tactic to combine Improved First Strike with Reach weapons.
You can attack and go 1 or 2 (your reach) squares back without provoking a free attack but if the enemies want to attack you with a Reach 0 weapon, you will get free attacks for each of them. You can do this every turn as long as they want to attack you, and if they don't, you can attack them, because you must not be adjacent. Wink
seanwalsh
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wiggy wrote:
seanwalsh wrote:

Wiggy
What AfDia said.
On your turn attack and move back 1" + On their turn attack when they move adjacent = 2 attacks per round.
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seanwalsh wrote:
What AfDia said.
On your turn attack and move back 1" + On their turn attack when they move adjacent = 2 attacks per round.

Course that's a tactic that typically works about once per fight. Unless the attackers are incredibly dense or something, the second time the spearwielder moves back, his foes are then free to leave combat without suffering a free attack from him and use some other tactic against him (like use ranged combat).

www.peginc.com
Noshrok Grimskull
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or use Tricks / Tests of Will to get him Shaken and then rush in with enough men to completely surround him, giving him no room to move back to...

"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes 'ding' when there's stuff." - The Doctor (Doctor Who)
zeth
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judge Holden wrote:
zeth wrote:
For you 50 Fathoms fans,

Remember Brawny and size are to different things.

So a Greal can take the Brawny edge and get a whopping +3 to his toughness. (+1 size +1 armor blubber +1 brawny) That's like a free suit of platemail without any penalties to swim or carry!

You could also as a Grael buy the Edge Fleet Footed and then take the Hindrance Obese to get a similar effect, while at the same time using up a Major Hindrance slot.

Yes but you still want Brawny for the 8xStr encumbrance limit. Having one guy in your party able to carry large amounts of stuff without penalty is a good thing.
Tuesday
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also, regarding Obese, Elderly Mages, don't waste an Edge/Advance on Fleet-footed; Cast Burrow to move 24" per Round.

Gah! Oldfatguyshark!

That's positively nightmarish, yo.
Particle_Man
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Solomon Kane screw job:

Cast Transfer Soul. Cast Animate Hand. Let Creeping Hand die. Cast Animate Hand again. Let creeping hand die. Let Transfer Soul lapse.

Applaud the person with no hands. Smile
Psy-Kosh
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A potentialy fun notion (not a detailed build, more the spirit of an idea) for NE:

charisma + very attractive + (lots of) super persuasion + telepathy

Not quite the same as mind control, but this is in a sense better. You get them to want what you want them to want.

muhahahahaha

Start a cult. Heck, start lots of cults. :)

Does it even count as min/maxing if combat is not the thing being maxed? ;)
Jonah Hex
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psy-Kosh wrote:

Start a cult. Heck, start lots of cults. Smile

Does it even count as min/maxing if combat is not the thing being maxed? Wink

Oh, definitely. Back in my GURPS days there was a character type we called a 'reaction monster' with a large chunk of points dedicated to just this sort of thing.It can be just as abusive, if not more so, than a combat monster.
manifold
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: twf, ambi, wild attack, test of will Reply with quote

If you have a twf feller with ambi, and you have him wild attack, you can do a test of wills at -2, two attacks at -0 (or one at +2, one at -0, if you're successful), and +2 to dam on each. This is a good tactic for low Spirit, high toughness opponenets like Werewolves. (assuming your two weaopns are silver...)
jfiz
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: tidbit Reply with quote

arcane background (magic).

Boost/lower trait power.

High intimidation skill (plus anything you can find that gives a bonus to intimidation).

The basic tactic is cast lower trait at your opponents Spirit. Next intimidate him (iirc intimidate is usually opposed by spirit roll - yes?). Have your allies with clubs on hold ready to gang up and pummel the poor sod once he's shaken from the intimidate.

...seems like a potentially good way help your allies contribute to good effect.

Heck combine that with a blast spell that has non-lethal damage trapping (like an AOE stun effect) and you could have a quick way to subdue/fatigue a group of foes, including their leader (thats who you'd target with lower trait first...).

Anyway just a thought...
AkumaDaimyo
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pet Rock wrote:
SlasherEpoch wrote:
The only good "dump stats" in SW are Strength and Smarts, in my opinion. Yes yes, I know SW doesn't have dump stats.

I agree with you...mostly. Having a low strength in not bad in a modern or wild west game where you have guns and other weapons that don't require a lot of strength. But in a low tech setting where there are no guns, and you're not a mage of some sort, low strength makes you ineffective in combat.

That's wrong. You need to check out the gear section right where it says things like Str required. You can't carry around a huge ass gun if your weak. So your wrong about Str being a dump stat. Also, even in a modern day setting, melee and hand to hand combat CAN happen and then you will be sorry you tried to use Str as a dump stat.
AkumaDaimyo
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clint wrote:
seanwalsh wrote:
What AfDia said.

Course that's a tactic that typically works about once per fight. Unless the attackers are incredibly dense or something, the second time the spearwielder moves back, his foes are then free to leave combat without suffering a free attack from him and use some other tactic against him (like use ranged combat).

I love it when you shoot down people's cheesy ideas. No decent DM would have such stupid goons. Nor would a decent DM allow such cheesy combos suggested here. Some are just common sense ones that don't sound like min/maxing or looking for rules holes but others totally are. I thank god I only play with people more interested in storyline than body count:-p
Tuesday
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AkumaDaimyo:
Quote:
That's wrong. You need to check out the gear section right where it says things like Str required. You can't carry around a huge ass gun if your weak.

Of course you can. You just need to be willing to accept the to-hit penalty, or to use a smaller gun. Like a pistol. The real problem with a low Strength is in carrying stuff without a penalty - armor and weapons are HEAVY, no matter when or where you are.

Quote:
So your wrong about Str being a dump stat. Also, even in a modern day setting, melee and hand to hand combat CAN happen and then you will be sorry you tried to use Str as a dump stat.

Pistols can be fired in melee, using your Shooting skill, against the enemy's Parry. Since you used Strength as your dump stat and bought a gun, your Shooting is probably much better than your Fighting since you expected to use it more. As well, you've had more points to toss into Smarts, Agility, Taunt, or Intimidate, so you can Trick or ToW your opponent and possibly shake him before taking one step away and firing with your shooting against a TN of 4, against a pre-shaken opponent.

Dumping Strength is a completely viable tactic, in any setting. When there are guns? Even more so.

Quote:
Nor would a decent DM allow such cheesy combos suggested here.

Some of them are totally okay - the Obese, Elderly, Fleet-footed wizard, for example, is totally a staple of non-gritty High Fantasy. The Reach weapon and the First Strike is even suggested in the main book, even if, as Clint points out, it's not as nasty as the poster thought it was.
DaoLong
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a big fan of combining command edges, taunt and first strike in our 50 Fathoms game.

The command edges mainly ensured that I always had un-stunned sailors with me for a gang up bonus of some sort, and calling someone a "scuppering son of a trout faced whore" or some such tends to get them to charge you instead of you having to go to them.

If you succeed, their parry is reduced by 2, and combined with a gang up bonus even makes hard targets hittable.

It was really effective when my character picked up Versailles (think Vorpal sword if you havent played 50F).
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."
George Carlin
DaoLong
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One problem with using pistols in HtH is that they don't negate the unarmed defender rule.

Thats why your gun fighter should always bring a knife for his off hand, and why quick draw is such a useful edge.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."
George Carlin
Judge Holden
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its been awhile since anyone has posted in here so I thought I'd give it another kick start. I saw a question in the Questions About How the Core Rules Work thread that I was itching to answer, but alas it's not meant to be.

Anyways - when do you go on Hold? Why bother?

I think its imperative for your allies to go on Hold when you are a spellcaster of any sort that buffs your allies or debuffs your enemies, that way your bonuses are going to be useful this round as soon as you cast. After all each round that you have spent on the spell is a precious little portion of your power points and if its not being used, then whats the point? If your buddies dont see the benefit, then go on Hold and call your action as soon as the Ace comes up next round. Providing nobody else gets a Joker or an Ace you will be going first next round.

Another good time to have everyone else go on hold is when you are dumping a big Area Effect attack. Call it out to your buddies, "Hey, dont go yet or else you are gonna get charqed!!" and then laugh at them if they decide to charge in anyways and the fireball catches them on fire.

Similarly, dont charge into a mellee combat if your buddy is about to cork the opponent with a very big long range attack. He may always hit, and he has Marskmen and he always deals big damage, but the day you decide to risk it and get into mellee with the target will be the day your buddy rolls a natural 1 on his ranged attack roll. Especially if you just caught everyone on fire with your big Area Effect last session (see above)

When you get dealt a joker and you aren't sure what to do - GO ON HOLD. That way when the GM starts to tell you what his BBEG is about to do you can say, "I'm gonna interupt him" and whats the GM gonna do? Well what can he do? Recognize your joker and have to let you interupt him, no roll required. Unless you can think of something better to do its always a pretty safe tactic to go on Hold when you get a Joker.

- Dave Foley
WickedRoland
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is setting specific and you can't do it till your heroic but you have to plan for it from character creation.

First off you are playing Sundered Skies and you make a Drakin character. You take as your hindrances...

Ugly -2 Charisma
Mean -3 Charisma in Sundered Skies
BloodThirsty -5 Charisma in Sundered Skies

Then for edges you take Glow Glimpse and Glow Form for another -2 Charisma.
Grand total of -12 Charisma

You build towards becoming a Dragon as well till Heroic where you take Dragon Fear.

So as an action every non-drakin in a LBT makes a guts check. Your Charisma counts as a penalty to the roll so a -12 for this character. Then if the fail they roll on the Fright Table and your Charisma is a Posative modifier. Extras are basicly instantly Panicked and WildCards suffer a heart attack on a roll of 9 or higher.

I picture this character swooping in on a ship and saying "Boo" and the crew diving overboard. The captain dropping dead and free ship for scary mister almost-dragon.
Wendigo1870
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do the same, if a bit reduced in power, with the Reputation Edge.
The Orc Battlepriest archetype already starts with -10 CHA, but with the Rep edge it becomes a positive bonus to your Intimidation Roll. Just leave the social talks to everyone else! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: