Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What should I run?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What genre should I run a game in?
Shadowfist (time traveling martial arts gunfighting action!)
24%
 24%  [ 6 ]
Rifts (post-apocalypsy super tech weapons, magic and just about everything else)
20%
 20%  [ 5 ]
Deadlands (hey, this one is a Savage World, but at the moment I'd just be winging it with the aid of my old Deadlands books)
12%
 12%  [ 3 ]
Buffy (Vampires and the dusting thereof! I had a game of this start, but stalled because we didn't like the system...maybe a FFF treatment for it?)
12%
 12%  [ 3 ]
Warhammer 40K (yeah, yeah, I'm just asking for grief for suggesting this one)
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
Tannhauser (world war I with alien technology, demonic forces and tough heroes! Sounds Savage!)
24%
 24%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 25

StormKnight
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: What should I run? Reply with quote

There are a couple of game worlds that I love to play in, but am just not crazy about the existing game systems for. I've got idea tossing around in my head for a bunch of these, and it seems like doing a Savage Worlds version would be a good fit. (I know, there are lots of Savage Worlds unique games out there, but right now I'd just looking to play something familiar with a new system).

What's your opinion? What should I go for?

(Note that the version I play may have major variances from the "original" setting in any case)
bloodshadows
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you're already familiar with Deadlands and Reloaded is the official Savage version, seems that is the way to go. That way you get something that you're familiar with and your setting rules are laid out for you in the book rather so there's far less guesswork.

Mind you, a Buffy game can be excellent in Savage Worlds. And if you replace Sunnydale with Pinebox, TX, you have a plethora of setting materials and adventures over at www.12tomidnight.com

But, let's face it... any of the settings you offered are easily Savaged. In the end, it's a matter of which one is the one you are really excited about.

Have fun and let us know what you choose! Smile
dentris
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is only one problem with Rifts...The system is so bad it's crippling, and Savaging it might be a problem for the high-power character variants. (Big robots, Chemically-enhanced fighters, tattooed atlanteans, etc.) It's not impossible, though, as i'm trying to do something myself. Have fun no matter which one you choose.
ThatBlastedSamophlange
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though I chose Tannhauser, as the board game looks really cool, why not combine equal parts Tannhauser with a dash of Buffy?
GreyGrendel
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I often thought a Buffy style game set in the old west would be cool. Take the best parts of Buffy and Deadlands together and voila....
Dave Blewer
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreyGrendel wrote:
I often thought a Buffy style game set in the old west would be cool. Take the best parts of Buffy and Deadlands together and voila....

That was an option given in the Buffy RPG as well, so great minds Cool

Sundered Skies, a Savage Worlds setting available NOW!
GreyGrendel
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew I had seen it someplace! Before I found SW, Eden Games and the unisystem was my "go to" system for games that were just plain fun. We used to have Buffy nights where we'd watch an episode on DVD, then cue up the opening credits I put together for our game and then continue the adventures of the spoiled princess slayer, the alcoholic watcher, high school werewolf and immortal demon hunter. Good times:)

But to the topic at hand, in some cases its a matter of how much work you're willing to do. Some of the suggestions require more (in some case much, much more) prep work then others. Do your players have any preferance. When I run games, as I'm always the GM, I ask what the players want to play next. I'll usually present them with a list of what I prefer to run, but the final choice is up to them. I mean without them I've got no one to entertain. Has your group provided any input?
Wiggy
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Savage-Buffy Watcher in the wife's game set in Georgian Bath (that's Bath, England, not a hot tub) got eaten by a demon worm after I (as the Slayer) had accidentally knocked out the guy trying to stop the ritual. Actually, I may have staked him thinking he was avampire. Been a while now.

I blame Dave, anyway, just because he was at the table Wink

Wiggy
StormKnight
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input! Just thought it would be fun to see what other people though.

Probably not going to do Deadlands right now - at some point I'll likely pick up Deadlands Reloaded, but the budget is rather tight right now. Besides, I'm wacky about really enjoying playing with converting one system to another Smile

At the moment, just gaming with my girlfriend...she's said to pick whatever I want. We had both Rifts and Buffy games that started, and we were interested in the characters, but the system just wasn't working for us, so we would be picking those up. One of the immediate 'grabs' to try the Rifts game in Savage Worlds is that her character is a Coalition Psi-Stalker, and would normally be leading a pack of psi-hounds, which sounded very intimidating to manage in Rifts, but SW looks really well designed for it.

Tannhauser...I don't know. I like the boardgame, and the setting just seems like it would make a cool RPG setting.
GreyGrendel
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rfits, like Torg has a good setting but really, really crappy mechanics. Both games also seem to suffer from a syndrome where everything in the latest sourcebook is cooler and more powerful then everything that came before it.

I think Buffy would be easier to savage then Rifts mainly because the Drawbacks/Qualities can be more easily correlated to Hinderances/Edges and both systems have a more streamlined approach to rules mechanics. However if you only have the one PC and a few NPCS for the Rifts thing then you can start piecemealing together the conversion.

Then again I'm enthralled by the idea of using the existing Savage Torg as a jumping off place for a full game conversion so my take on conversion may not be totally sane.
StormKnight
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...because the Drawbacks/Qualities can be more easily correlated to Hinderances/Edges and...

Well, I wouldn't actually do any system to system conversion for Buffy. Its not like anything in the game system is all that unique. I'd just say, "So, how should a Buffy-verse Slayer/Vampire/whatever be in this kind of game system Smile "
zeth
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted Shadowfist.
razorwise
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya!

Just wanted to jump in and let you know that you might get some use from RunePunk as it deals with a lot of cross-genre conceits. If you're rolling your own world, you may find the PG useful. If you want to see my twisted takes on Plot Points, you'll want the whole shebang.

Regards,

Sean
The Blur is Now on G+
scourger
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of those options, Savage Rifts sounds the most interesting & fun to me. Plus, your player already has a character concept with a few extras to round out the party. Sounds fun.

I'm itching to run Rifts Machinations of Doom. I probably won't convert it, though. I did one character, and it just looses some of the gonzo Rifts flavor.

40KRP is another interesting option. Again, it's one that I likely won't convert just to keep it easy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: