Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rules Questions for the Solomon Kane RPG
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Official Answers on How the Rules In Other Pinnacle Products Work
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wiggy
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judge Holden wrote:
is there an Opposed check for the Viper Weapon spell if you cast it against an enemy?

What about against a magical weapon?

Nope, no opposed roll. It isn't cast on an enemy, only his weapon. Magic weapons don't have any innate magical resistance--their powers give them certain effects, but they are not immune to damage or spells.

Wiggy
Wiggy
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Disruption Reply with quote

Judge Holden wrote:
Under the section for Disruption (pg 98 ) it says that a caster must make an opposed roll versus the amount of damage they suffered to avoid disruption. Does this mean that the opposed roll is made before the caster soaks the damage if they are able to soak the damage? If the caster succeeds do they need to make this roll?

Soak first. See below, but in essence, if he isn't at least Shaken, he doesn't have to roll for disruption.

Quote:

What happens if the caster is only able to partially soak the damage?

Just reduce the damage by 4 for each wound he Soaks (as a wound is 4 points over Toughness), then roll for disruption against whatever is left. So, a caster who takes 22 damage and has Toughness 6 suffers four wounds. If he Soaks three wounds, he rolls against a 10 (22-12).

Quote:

Exactly how much is the damage suffered calculated? is it exactly what the attacker rolls for damage, or is it the amount of damage rolled minus the casters Toughness?

Damage has to exceed Toughness to be treated as suffered. The description may not be entirely clear, but in essence it works like this...

If the caster suffers a Shaken result from damage or takes 1 or more wounds, they must make an Arcane Skill roll against the total damage or his spells are disrupted.

And yep, that means characters with a higher Toughness will face a larger TN for disruption for a "lesser" effect. (i.e. Two mages are hit for 12 points of damage. One has Toughness of 4, and the other has a 12. Both have to roll against a 12 to maintain their spells, even though the second is only Shaken and the first took 2 Wounds. Of course, the first will face wound penalties since this roll comes after damage is applied.)

Wiggy
Wiggy
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judge Holden wrote:
With Viper Weapon, when the caster transforms an enemies weapon into a viper it says that the snake acts on the casters action. Does this include the round in which the spell was cast. In short, does the snake attack on the same round that the spell is cast, or does it attack starting in the following round?

The same round. Think of it like fear, for instance, the effect is instant once the spell is cast.

Wiggy
Wiggy
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judge Holden wrote:
With Righteous Rage, I understand that it is triggered and then you are given 3 markers of some sort which are depleted at the end of each round BEFORE cards are dealt. Does this mean that the round you get the Rage you immediately turn in one of these bennies at the end of that first round just before cards are dealt, or is it three rounds not including the round in which the Rage was triggered?

EXAMPLE: Bob flies into a Righteous Rage at an Ace of Spades on the first round, he gets to use the bonus dice for the rest of this round. We deal cards and the next round starts.

At the start of this round does Bob have three markers in front of him, or two?

Bob gets three tokens immediately on the Ace of Spades. When the round ends, he gives one up, so he has two left for the next round. Remember, it affects the benny roll he just made, so that counts as as the first round.

Although a hero may fly in Righteous Rage as his last action on a round, seemingly wasting a round, it applies to any First Strikes or withdrawing from combat attacks he makes in that first round.

Wiggy
Wiggy
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Axerules wrote:
Thanks for the previous answers, Wiggy. Smile
Another question: the text for the Improved Strong Caster Edge says that Strong Caster and Heroic are prerequisites. The Edges' summary, Strong Caster and "V" (for Veteran) . So, Veteran or Heroic ? #1help
Thanks in advance. Smile

Heroic is correct.

Wiggy
Wiggy
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judge Holden wrote:
If I die while in another body via the Transfer Soul power it says I come back as an undead when I go back to my body.

My question is wether an undead can raise his stats through regular XP progression or not?

I am an elderly spellcaster, does the elderly hindrance carry over? (this is tied to the first question) As an undead does Elderly apply?

1. Sure, you can increase stats as a zombie (see below).

2. Yep, the Elderly penalties still remain. You may be undead, but you're Elderly undead. Your body was weak and frail when it was alive and it's still weak and frail now you're undead.

Wiggy
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Sorcery vs Shamanism in Solomon Kane Reply with quote

Learner wrote:
What is the advantage of being a Sorcerer over a Shaman?

A Shaman has all but 1 spell in his spell list, and that spell is Animate Hand, not something your typical PC is likely to cast during their career. A sorcerer can only cast 34 of the 37 spells, the three being Environmental Protection, Undead Ward and Vision Quest. A sorcerer has a cumulative -1 to his casting per Rank of spell if he doesn't have components and without a source of income he's more than likely going to be casting without components. True, a Shaman gets -4 on his Arcane Roll without his fetish, but in my 21 years of gaming (meeting at least once a week) the number of times a PC has been captured instead of killed adds up to about 5. Finally, a shaman gets a +1 to his Arcane Roll in his native country but no penalties for dealing with foreign spirits.

Please, I beg you, explain to me why would you choose Sorcerer over Shaman?

Not exactly a question on how the rules work, but it does play a factor, so...

Well, first off, I suppose we're looking at a purely mechanical reason as opposed to a character-driven reason, so that's what we'll stick with.

All characters generally have an income whether it comes from events in game or out of game. As a Rich character has three times the starting money, they have three times the yearly income of someone without Rich. So in some way, the character should earn about 100 pounds a year, outside of any money that might come from the adventures themselves.

So while the Sorcerer has some limitation there; it isn't that huge, and they have the option of Edges to mitigate it that a shaman doesn't (Noble, Rich, and Very Rich). A player could even increase the limitation there by taking Poverty.

On the flip side, capture is not the only way a Shaman could lose his fetish. For instance, any AE attack could destroy it, as could a Called Shot made by a foe. And if it is lost, the Shaman has to wait 7 weeks if they want to remake the fetish without penalty. That's a pretty big chunk of time.

One last thing to keep in mind. The Sorcery Skill is linked to Smarts, which is linked to many more skills than Spirit. If a player plans to take more skills linked to Smarts, the advantage then is to go with Sorcery rather than Shamanism.

Learner wrote:
ASIDE: Why is the Shaman only spell Undead Ward based on Smarts instead of Spirit?

Since all the powers still use the same skill to activate, I'm going to guess this is in reference to the range. Not all aspects of a power are purely dependent on a certain Attribute for use. In some cases, something like Range may be dependent on intellectually use of a spell as opposed to the "pure power" behind it (the skill based on Spirit in this case).

That said, sorry, but the point is a bit moot in this case as the Range on both Spirit Ward and Undead Ward should be Self as noted in the text that the template is centered on the caster.

Hope this helps.

www.peginc.com
Wiggy
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomahawk wrote:
Can I assume that there is a type on page 331, that Sir Richard Grenville and Solomon Kane don't carry "super pistols" (10/20/40, 2D8), that they really carry normal pistols (5/10/20, 2D6+1)?

You can indeed, Tomahawk. There are no super pistols that act like muskets.

Wiggy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Official Answers on How the Rules In Other Pinnacle Products Work All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: