Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Withdrawing from Combat
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you include the withdrawal rules when GMing an SW game?
Of course! What a dumb question.
27%
 27%  [ 3 ]
Yes, because I think they are necessary.
63%
 63%  [ 7 ]
Yes, but only under certain circumstances -- not as written.
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Rarely.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No, because it slows things down too much.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 11

Nailom
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HawaiianBrian wrote:
Another, related question:

So say you're squared off against five opponents. All of them are adjacent to you, even if that means diagonally. All five "withdraw" at the same time. Do you get five separate attacks? Or just one?

You get five.
Blackheart
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. It may sound ridiculous, but you get five attacks (btw, how often would five guys fighting one retreat?).

As far as I've concerned in the "withdrawing-from-combat-using-a-spear" discussion, I would say the character is leaving Melee - no matter the range of his weapon - unless he is also attacking his opponent after his movement... Furthermore, if he retreats from 1" range (where he can attack his opponent but the foe cannot strike back due to his shorter reach), this will obviously not provoke a free attack.

... But I may be wrong - perhaps this would nerf Spears a bit?
AFDia
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DerFinsterling wrote:
AFDia wrote:
Summary: A guy with Reach1+ can retreat from any melee without inflicting a free attack.
Is this true? (this would make the staff more powerful for wizards and in combination with first strike, this would be a very good tactic)

Yes, it is - although some GMs may ask the player to space it out over two rounds, ie, round1 move one inch back, rouind 2 leave melee.
Otherwise you're really just leaving melee and since the actions happen so quickly, your opponent would still get a free attack.

Perhaps this would be the best solution because otherwise there is an edge in PotSM called Lunge which would allow you to retreat with every weapon without suffering a free attack.

An easy rule could be something like "You can retreat your Reach without suffering a free attack". This way you can use the "First Strike Tactic" and your teammates can replace you in combat (therefore it would work like the 1" retreat rule of d&d)

... but is this the official handling for Reach? Wink
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Markus had it right (probably remembers my explanation from before on the forum Wink).

If the spear user moves more than their Reach from an opponent during a single action, then they have left melee and any opponent they were adjacent to in that round gets a free attack.

Remember a character's actions during a round are pretty much simultaneous, so effects are based off that. The system allows for the freedom to break down those "individual" actions as the player wishes (such as move then attack, attack then move, move a bit then attack then move a bit more, and so on...) but that's because while it may change a situational effect, it (typically) does not change the effect of the actual action.

Wow, that feels unclear. Hope it makes sense.

Ultimately, "leaving melee" can simply be defined as, "If at any point during your chosen movement for the round neither you nor your opponent would be capable of making a melee attack on each other."

Congratulations, you just left melee. Smile

www.peginc.com

Last edited by Clint on Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
AFDia
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Clint.

I will simply edit "Whenever a character retreats from melee more than his weapon's reach in inches, all adjacent non-Shaken opponents get an immediate free attack" into the Withdrawing paragraph. This should be enough to avoid misunderstandings. Smile
DerFinsterling
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clint wrote:
Markus had it right (probably remembers my explanation from before on the forum Wink).

Well, I only steal from the best Wink
I thought I saw you explaining it before, but couldn't find it with one or two quick tries.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: