Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Future of Shaintar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Licensees
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What would you like to see come first for the Shaintar line, following the release of SHAINTAR: IMMORTAL LEGENDS?
I'd like to see more campaign and adventure support.
79%
 79%  [ 47 ]
I'd like to see Sean start putting together that "Shared Campaign" online stuff now.
20%
 20%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 59

Sean Patrick Fannon
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject: The Future of Shaintar Reply with quote

Yes, I know, I just finished the manuscript, none of you have seen more than a 2-year old Player's Guide, and here I am already asking for feedback about what to do next.

However, I am highly motivated and want to direct these energies effectively, and as you folks have already proven very adept at giving me good guidance and advice, I figured I'd best not mess with success.

So I am faced with a decision - do I stick to my plan, and delve into the online/shared campaign materials stuff that I've been writing about, or do I focus more energies on creating more adventure/campaign support?

I am not saying the online idea would "die," per se (and no matter what I decide, there will be lots of web-based support in the guise of world book info, etc.). What I am saying is that I suddenly have all these great stories I can express through additional Plot Point Campaigns, other Scenarios, and M.A.C.S. supplements.

By voting on the poll, you aren't saying no to one by saying yes to another. You are simply telling me which you'd like to see me focus on more first. By all means elaborate with follow-ons below.

And, as always, thank you for your support.

Bad Dog. Good Games.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
fanchergw
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I'd first like to see some kind of update for those of us who bought the Player's Guide way back when to bring it into sync with the forthcoming book.

Once that's done, start on the next Plot Point book.

Don't ask for much, do I? Laughing

Gordon
Sean Patrick Fannon
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fanchergw wrote:
Actually, I'd first like to see some kind of update for those of us who bought the Player's Guide way back when to bring it into sync with the forthcoming book.

Fair enough, and you will. Cool

Bad Dog. Good Games.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
badash56
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally love plot point campaigns. I'm MORE likely to run something with a PPC than something without, so I vote for more PPC first!

Joe
JackAce
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted for the "Shared Campaign" material first, because, as I pointed out earlier, I'm more interested in the campaign system then the actual Shaintar setting.

On second thought, however, something else occurred to me:
A lot of the outrage over your plan to drop the Shaitar GM Guide in favor of the Shared Campaign system was based on the fact that most fans of Shaintar were expecting to see the GM guide at some point.

So, one solution would be to continue publishing PPC books for the Shaintar setting, and in the meantime find a different setting to develop for the Shared Campaign Project. And to avoid any confusion, tell folks right away that this one is going to be the Shared Campaign Setting.

Then, later, when the Shared Campaign system has been proven to work well, and the potential for yet new Shaintar PPCs has been exhausted, I wouldn't be surprised if people would start coming to you, asking when the Shaintar Shared Campaign is going to be launched...
Sean Patrick Fannon
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackAce wrote:
So, one solution would be to continue publishing PPC books for the Shaintar setting, and in the meantime find a different setting to develop for the Shared Campaign Project. And to avoid any confusion, tell folks right away that this one is going to be the Shared Campaign Setting.

You may be right, Jack. You may well be right...

Bad Dog. Good Games.
Bill
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I would like to see the Plot Point Campaign Setting and the Updated Players guide before you start something else. First because it would fulfil your original promise in the guide, second because once the PPC is out people will be playing Shaintar and it would make the online campaign that much more attractive to get into, and finally, since the PPC will cover Shaintar's past, those who play will be far more interested in the future!

At least that is my take. That and $4.50 will by you an overpriced coffee at Starbucks ;>)
Emiricol
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm. Charbucks. But yeah, I would love to see more campaign/adventure materials. I do love the shared world thing though - I've always been fond of that sort of thing, and hope to see something radical from Sean soon Smile
Egil
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a plot point campaign please Smile
lonejedi
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the idea of putting out a couple PPCs first to tell some of the history of Shaintar, then following up with a "living" present/future is a brilliant idea. Those initial "offline" campaigns seem to me to be a great way to introduce players to the world so that they can feel more invested in helping to contribute to its future.
steel-eye
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I'm fascinated by the idea of the shared world and would love to see a good stab at implementing it, even if it was not perfect - at least it's something new.

That said, I voted for the campaign/plot point stuff first. It's a safer bet.

1. You can create a following that is interested in the shared world.

2. Even if the shared world does not pan out the way you would like, there is a complete and usable product for everyone to use.

3. Once a book is written, it can be out there, generating you money while you work on the shared world.

Along the lines of JackAce's suggestion, perhaps you could split the world? One continent/country could be supported by "print/pdf" products (guides, adventures, one sheets and plot point campaigns) while another is supported by online shared world. Provided there is a Deadlands: Reloaded style world book, there is nothing stopping GMs running home brew campaigns in the online continent, they just won't get stuff written for them.
Sean Patrick Fannon
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, at this point, it's pretty clear the people have spoken. I don't see the trend changing dramatically any time soon, so I think my current plan will hold.

You'll see Shaintar: Immortal Legends coming out very soon (if all goes well, by Con on the Cob). That will have the original (updated) Player's Guide info, as well as the "Raven's Quest" Plot Point Campaign, details on the Wildlands region and Grayson's Grey Rangers, and a couple-dozen more scenarios.

Oh, and a massive "bad guys" section.

I am planning on at least two or three freebie "One Sheets," as well as some additional short-piece support products (announcement to follow in a separate thread). I also have at least three more Plot Point Campaigns in mind; some will be sequential, while others will be separate storylines.

The World Book information will be posted up online, and that's also covered in my other announcement (to be posted later today).

The Shared Campaign concept remains in development, and as others have suggested, will grow organically from what we all work to build together as Shaintar grows.

Thanks for the fantastic support and feedback, my friends. I believe you will be very happy with what comes of it.

Bad Dog. Good Games.
Kalan
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is soundin cooler an cooler the more I read on it!

Thanks a bunch Sean for bearing with US during all this - I know it can't have been easy Smile

Good luck on wrappin it all up Sean! And I can't WAIT to see the finished product Smile
http://www.kalanskorner.com
New Cool Stuff coming soon!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sean Patrick Fannon
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering how desperately I want to see a Shaintar mod for the Fantasy Grounds stuff, Vincent, I am very glad to hear you say that.

Check your e-mail...

Bad Dog. Good Games.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Licensees All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: