Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Deadlands: Hell On Earth - Opinions and What I Need To Buy!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is Deadlands HOE a good roleplay setting?
Hell Yes!
89%
 89%  [ 26 ]
Hell No!
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Hell Maybe...not to sure, let me think!
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 29

farmergiles
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:02 am    Post subject: Deadlands: Hell On Earth - Opinions and What I Need To Buy! Reply with quote

Hey!

At the moment I'm running a normal Deadlands Classic setting and its going well so far, however I've been tempted by Hell on Earth and was wondering what other players and marshalls thought of it, i.e. is it mainly a combat fest or can you get some decent roleplaying social situations going as well?

The other question is what do I need to get for been the Marshall on this system? I know obviously I need the main hardback book but does anyone know where on earth I can purchase it cheap ish there aren't enough UK retailers that sell it and some places charge like 30-35 for it which is rediculous.

Also I've seen A LOT of supplement books released for it, but I dont know whether I need them or not. For Classic, I get by fine with the main rulebook, marshalls handbook, a couple of sourcebooks for various archetypes (smiths, brimstone, etc), a sourcebook for the location (in my case River O Blood) and the rascals + critter books. Is there a similar setup for HOE?

All advice greatly appreciated as it looks a bit of a mess at the moment and I need guidance! It will also be great to DM a roleplay game where I know more about the general background then the players do! Oh yeah don't mention the D20 stuff, I've had enough of D20 systems and the poker deck is what makes Deadlands so cool!
DerFinsterling
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you looking for HoE Reloaded (which will take a while to come out), ie, HoE using SW rules or do you want to use HoE Classic?

If the former, I'd take only the main book and DL:R as a "conversion guide" If the latter, The main book and Wasted West should get you started good. Depends on what kind of characters your players want to play if other sourcebooks would come in handy.

As for the type of the games: combats tend to be rather bleak and brutal affairs, the horror is more of the splatter variety, but the isolated surivor settlements, the general mistrust when it comes to strangers and the like make for lots of good roleplaying as well.
farmergiles
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean Hell on Earth: Classic btw. Also if anyone knows, can they list the various sourcebooks available that relate to character archetypes (i.e. the HOE equivalent of Smiths and Robards, Fire and Brimstones, etc). I can't tell from the titles/covers alone what sourcebook is what as they all seem to look like adventure story books to me.
OrderedChaos
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say go with the core book and the companion (the two hardbacks). That gives you most of the basics. For archetype books you've got, The Last Crusaders-Templars, Children o the Atom-Doomsayers, The Junkman Cometh-Junkers, and Brainburners-Psykers. I think thats all of them. Also Monstes, Muties, and Misfists is a good one to pick up for monsters. Thats about what I got for running my games.
JackAce
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OrderedChaos wrote:
The Last Crusaders - Templars
Children o the Atom - Doomsayers
The Junkman Cometh - Junkers
Brainburners - Psykers.

Spirit Warriors - Indians & Toxic Shamans
Waste Warriors - Soldiers
Road Warriors - Umm... Road Warriors
farmergiles
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for book info - anyone know any good stockists in UK?
MadDog
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: book stocks Reply with quote

Dont forget the PEG store where you can buy the PDF files and get them right away.

Mad Dog
RegularDarcy
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, there's Cyborgs for... well, Cyborgs, I guess.

You can easily get by with just the HOE core book and the Wasted West companion (note: Jo the Templar WILL annoy the ever-loving crap out of you.) However, if you are accustomed to playing with all the trimmings then there a plenty of those and it seems they work much like the Deadlands Classic books. A note about Spirit Warriors, if anyone follows the whole toxic spirits thing, it changes the style of game pretty drastically.

As far as location books:
City o' Sin: Las Vegas.
Denver: The cunningly titled book for Denver.
Iron Oasis: The book for the Junkyard
Shattered Coast: For the Great Maze

I think that covers it.
Mort
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RegularDarcy wrote:

You can easily get by with just the HOE core book and the Wasted West companion (note: Jo the Templar WILL annoy the ever-loving crap out of you.) However, if you are accustomed to playing with all the trimmings then there a plenty of those and it seems they work much like the Deadlands Classic books.

HoE plays pretty well straight from the box - the splats do in general give decent value for money though (one or two duds - but there always is).

The big thing to be aware of is that Junkers & Power-armour change completely in their respective books (the junkman cometh & Denver) from the core rules representations. Likewise, Spirit Shamans kind of junk the game feel (I'd avoid their splat book tbh - they don't really do anything to add to the game & change a lot of precepts).

Junkers are also mathematically intense to play outside core- I'm a fully qualified engineer & I find the idea of playing one without computer aid to hand pretty daunting.
Snap_Dragon
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bah, junker stuff is easy. The Junkman cometh system is one of the best systems for inventing stuff I have ever seen in an rpg, lets me do tonns of stuff.
Mort
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snap_Dragon wrote:
bah, junker stuff is easy. The Junkman cometh system is one of the best systems for inventing stuff I have ever seen in an rpg, lets me do tonns of stuff.

Call it a difference of opinion - I prefer my pages of calculations to stay at work. Wink

I much prefer to have simple scalable effects my inventions can achieve than a mathematically intense derivation of their effect. (what's the difference between a phased plasma rifle & a uranium shotgun except the name? Razz)

Used to have a lot more patience for crunching numbers for games when I was younger.
MadDog
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: books Reply with quote

I just picked up Brainburners, THe Last Crusade, and Road Warriors. A quick browse indicates they are all pretty groovy.

Mad Dog
farmergiles
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice list of books, I know for a fact I need to start with the main rulebook, the companion, the monsters and misfits book and a DM radiation screen. But finding a stockist that sells for the right price is hard. I want the books preferably rather than PDF downloads, but its impossible to get a good price. I almost thought I was sorted with the PEG main US website prices until I found out they charge $47 to ship that amount! Hell it costs $41+ to ship the main rulebook by itself! Rediculous US prices!
Mort
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

farmergiles wrote:
Nice list of books, I know for a fact I need to start with the main rulebook, the companion, the monsters and misfits book and a DM radiation screen. But finding a stockist that sells for the right price is hard. I want the books preferably rather than PDF downloads, but its impossible to get a good price. I almost thought I was sorted with the PEG main US website prices until I found out they charge $47 to ship that amount! Hell it costs $41+ to ship the main rulebook by itself! Rediculous US prices!

Where are you shipping them to? Shouldn't be that much to ship to the US.

Amazon also stocks the two core books - tbh, they're probably all you need to start - especially if you've already got a chunk of DL classic to mine
farmergiles
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm from the UK so the costs I know will be higher, but I can't believe it costs 20-30 to ship a couple of books. The problem is though is that there aren't any decent stockists in the UK bar Ebay and thats random as to what I can buy on it.
Mort
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

farmergiles wrote:
I'm from the UK so the costs I know will be higher, but I can't believe it costs 20-30 to ship a couple of books. The problem is though is that there aren't any decent stockists in the UK bar Ebay and thats random as to what I can buy on it.

Hmmm. I know the feeling.

Amazon.co.uk seem to have a few in it's marketplace but not sure how great that is for you
farmergiles
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd already checked there, yes they have the books but either at high prices or the marketplace sellers that do sell for good prices despatch them from the US......meaning high postage, etc!

It would be brilliant if someone on Ebay just put up a whole load of HOE books to sell in one batch! I'll keep looking and will try a local small games supplier here to see if he can order them in cheaper.
GMAgain?
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lesiure Games (in the UK) seem to have a number of HOE books still listed.

Leisure Games - HOE

It even says some might be in the sale section.

Edit - Though I can't find any there.
Mort
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GMAgain? wrote:
Lesiure Games (in the UK) seem to have a number of HOE books still listed.

Leisure Games - HOE

It even says some might be in the sale section.

Saw & checked that before suggesting amazon - they're missing the core books & no DL in the sale anymore.
farmergiles
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only that, but 20 for the core rule book? 15+ for a sourcebook? No way man!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: