Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What got you to purchase SW?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What got you into Savage Worlds?
I got into SW through one of the published settings book
14%
 14%  [ 15 ]
I was lured to the core book itself
85%
 85%  [ 90 ]
Total Votes : 105

NanocTheCivilized
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was the end of 2005, the year in which I abandoned D&D 3.5 and took my fantasy campaign back to AD&D 2e. I wanted to try running a 1930's High Adventure game, a la Indiana Jones (which is what most people mean when they say "Pulp") so I sat down to decide what rules to use. I looked at:

Call of Cthulhu All my group already knew the rules, and it covered the right period, but it is not set up for heroic action. Also large combats take a long time; and there are no rules for car chases, dog fights, desert or arctic conditions, and so on. Characteristics are rolled randomly, and players have only skill selection to customise their characters: which makes it hard to get something they really want to play. Finally, the publisher, Chaosium, is moribund to say the least and has devoted itself largely to bringing out "greatest hits" compilations from happier times. The main rule book was actually out of print in December 2005.

Pulp Cthulhu Announced in 2004, this would have been a shoe-in if it had been available. It wasn't, it hasn't been, it still isn't, it may never be.

d20 Modern We already owned some copies of the rules, and were at least somewhat familiar with them; plus there are some good 3rd party supplements for the type of game I wanted (although support from WotC is limited to one chapter in d20 Past). The problem is it's D&D 3 in drag: classes, levels, and mountains of hit points. A 5th level character cannot be threatened by 1st level thugs, so you have to keep inflating the level of opposition to keep pace with the PCs. Also, you cannot have high-level academic skills without also being really good at combat. A 20th level librarian (60 years old, never been in a fight) will easily whip a gang of low-level thugs single-handedly (presumably by beating them to death with a dictionary). Finally it bogs down in large fights (and I have eight players in the group).

GURPS 3 Out of print, but I have several copies of the rules to hand out, and there are a lot of excellent supplements - including GURPS Cliffhangers. The problem here is that the rules are very complex and the players would have to learn them.

GURPS 4 In print, but expensive at £50 for the two main books - and we'd need several copies; plus it's even more complex than the 3rd edition.

Hero 5th Edition In print, and how! This is a rule book that will actually stop a (.22) bullet. Far too complex, although cheaper than GURPS 4 at only £30. It does have a wonderful supplement in Pulp Hero though - highly recommended.

Tri-Stat A generic version of Big Eyes Small Mouth (BESM) and available as a free download - so the price is right Wink At the time the print version was also available for a very modest £7. However, it did not address the Pulp era particularly well, and felt a bit bland. Since then, of course, the publisher has sadly gone out of business.

Action! Another generic and free game, sadly this also struck me as bland.

Savage Worlds An award winning game that covered all my bases. Generic but without the bland feeling, and well suited to my chosen period and style of play. There were some problems: the book is rather expensive (hooray for the Explorers' Edition); the rules were different from anything we'd used before, so there'd be a learning curve; and I didn't like the Powers system (and still don't). Despite these, this was clearly the best option, and it's been a big success I'm happy to say. Smile

Back to lurking
Nanoc
Mort
Heroic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine's an unusual one:

I used to be big into deadlands & was passing through a small 1/2 games-store 1/2 comic store in Chicago after SW had been out a few months.

I saw an offer for 2 Peg books for $20 - I had everything they were offering with the exceptions of SW & ToT:1877. I asked if SW had been put in the box by mistake - and apparently it hadn't.

So I'll probably end up paying more for SWEX than I did for my original copy of the rules Razz

Last edited by Mort on Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Danger
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The design notes by Mr. Hensley sold me; the gushing/squealing/screaming fanbase who had done all sorts of stuff with their games and seemed to have had a genuine good time with the rules were the icing on the cake.

As I've stated before in so many words, I'm getting older. My attention isn't quite the level is used to be and if you want my time and money, then you gotta get me what I want in stuff that's easy to digest. Savage Worlds does that for me.
MadTinkerer
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ronism wrote:
What about Low Life, which was released a little over a year and a half ago? Aside from being PDF-only, how is Necropolis not a Savage Setting?

Was Low Life released that recently? Okay, I forgot that. It was originally supposed to come out almost a year earlier, though.

As for Necropolis, it doesn't count because it's Weird Wars. It's not technically a Savage Setting because Weird Wars is supposed to be a seperate game line. I don't understand the distinction either, but that's what the PEG guys keep saying. That's all I meant.

It's frustrating not because they keep talking about the books before they're released but because they didn't have these problems with the first Rulebook printing or EN or 50F. Even Tour of Darkness was only delayed a little bit. Yeah, there were other problems early on like the EN binding fiasco, but it wasn't a case of waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting...

screenmonkey wrote:
So i started the Savage Worlds Yahoo Group, abandoned the notion of ever running a d20 campaign again (thank god), and have been having a blast ever since. #1dance

Screenmonkey! Glad to see you post again! Still a mere Veteran, I see. Laughing

NanocTheCivilized wrote:

d20 ModernAlso, you cannot have high-level academic skills without also being really good at combat. A 20th level librarian (60 years old, never been in a fight) will easily whip a gang of low-level thugs single-handedly (presumably by beating them to death with a dictionary).

This is a bit off-topic, but... Do I need to point out why this is perfect for an Indiana Jones type game? Here's a hint: Indy doesn't get to give archaeology lectures because he has "Strong Hero" on his resume. (Sorry, but d20 Modern is still one of my favorite non-SW games.)

NanocTheCivilized wrote:
Finally it bogs down in large fights (and I have eight players in the group).

And that's one of the few things I don't like about it. I fix this by buying d20M supplements and converting them to SW. Laughing

Check out Mad Tinkerer Dot Org!

Last edited by MadTinkerer on Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shinobi
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did I get started??

The system seemed very popular on the WWG forums, so I took a risk and purchased the SW Revised Core Book, downloaded it and got hooked!!
ron blessing
Heroic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MadTinkerer wrote:
It's frustrating not because they keep talking about the books before they're released but because they didn't have these problems with the first Rulebook printing or EN or 50F. Even Tour of Darkness was only delayed a little bit. Yeah, there were other problems early on like the EN binding fiasco, but it wasn't a case of waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting...

I definitely understand your frustration. Personally, I wasn't a fan of Evernight (didn't like the scripted campaign) and Veronica didn't care for the fantasy angle in 50 Fathoms. The first campaign we ran was Rippers. We missed Necessary Evil due to a huge D&D campaign we were in (but we're playing it, sort of, now). The toolkits came after Rippers, which was when I started getting into homebrews. Although a lot of the announced stuff would've been cool, I wasn't hurting for it because I was busy with other things.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
pineappleleader
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MadTinkerer wrote:
pineappleleader wrote:
Still no SLIPSTREAM.

Allegedly Slipstream is in the pipeline way ahead of EN2, not long after Sundered Skies which is supposed to be the next one, so don't get too cranky. (As for me, EN1 was the only campaign we actually finished as originally written! I still want EN2 so we can continue the campaign... Crying or Very sad )

Oh...I'm not cranky. I just wanted "The Powers That Be" to know that I'm one of those still waiting for SLIPSTREAM.

Possibly the Most Dangerous Pineapple in the Universe. Possibly Not.
BUCKAROO
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: The Grail Reply with quote

Whelp, my first experience with RPGs was with West End Games’ Star Wars d6. At the time I thought WOW this is really neat and had a lot of fun as well. Probably mostly because gaming was new to me plus I am a BIG Star Wars fan. Anywho, after a few years of playing and eventually learning how to GM I was still left down in the mouth and empty. SO I began tweaking the rules to better reflect how I thought things should work, but I was never truly happy with the system.

The next system my group tried to get me into was d20. It seemed ok at first, but gave me a bad case of munchkin which still haunts me to this day. Again d20 lacked that feel I was looking for in an RPG. Plus it had more rules to worry about than I cared to worry about… combat was too long and I never felt comfortable with “character class”. In the end d20 for me was just not the gaming grail I was looking for.

Then came the old World of Darkness system. After my buddy hacked up the rules I thought to myself this could be the system I’ve been looking for. Again I was disappointed

I was then introduced to GURPS… not sure how I feel about that system yet, but in its defense I didn’t give it a proper chance since at the same time I was introduced to the Deadlands system.

Story goes like this…. Back in college my one buddy had a friend that went to a convention and she picked up this brand new western RPG. Well of course my buddy brought it into our group. At first I didn’t like the system, but I was pulled in by how initiative was done. AND once I got the rules down I was hooked. I bought most every book and still re-read them from time to time.

Then I came across the Great Rail Wars looking for more Deadlands history. That system screamed out “here is something special indeed,” but at the time I was into roleplaying and not miniature battles and never really got into it (what a shame.)

Time goes on and our group plays through most every scenario of Deadlands constantly asking ourselves “what are we going to do next”. UNTIL one day when my buddy plops down this strange covered book of the first version of Savage Worlds. Now my friend is one of those people that can see greatness a mile away and spring board off from it with worlds of his own. Anywho he sets up a Battletech type game where we were the pilots of Mechs. From that point it just got better and I never looked back to any other system. My hat is off to these PEGINC guys. I finally found my grail!
steamdriven
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

none of the above. I got into SW simply because it was the new system and once I read it and then used it to run a few games was then hooked. plus the fact that PEG are NOT $ grabbing muppets who spew out crappy and altogether pointles books every month made me happy to give them my money.

oh and the fact that SW is a system that more about making characters that you want to play and alows you to build you character how you want. its all about role playing and rules second.

good times!
manifold
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: it's a gift... Reply with quote

A buddy of mine lent me his copy of SW at GenCon last year. I had been wanting to run a game, and I love d20, but don't have time to run d20. (I've done some d20 writing, and statting it up is like pulling my own teeth.) SW looked easy, and easy to keep track of, and so it has proven to be. It does most of the fun things that d20 does, without a lot of the stuff that I think is migrane-inducing (but which is the good part, according to several of my friends.) Eventually, my buddy told me to hang onto the copy of SW, and I bought Rippers (great, great stuff, and the name Thomas Dulont sold me; Nyambe is one of the best d20 supplements around) and DLRL. I've gotten Fear Effects and the Fantasy Bestiary since then, and I'm happy with everything I've bought. Not only that, I've used everything I've bought. Most of the d20 stuff I have has been great reading but has seen relatively little gaming.

At first, I didn't like much of the system. Movement (No double moves? Running is random?) , initiative (Every round? C'mon!), Knockout Blows (which I now finally get, and they're changing for SWEX! Grrrr), but as I played it became more clear as to why things are the way they are. Great fun.[/i]
Ironwing
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got into SW simply for the miniature gaming rules. Probably the best rules out there for Star Wars miniatures gaming.
Savage Oni
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUCKAROO wrote:
The next system my group tried to get me into was d20. It seemed ok at first, but gave me a bad case of munchkin which still haunts me to this day. Again d20 lacked that feel I was looking for in an RPG. Plus it had more rules to worry about than I cared to worry about… combat was too long and I never felt comfortable with “character class”. In the end d20 for me was just not the gaming grail I was looking for.

When I discovered Deadlands, I found how flexible character creation could be. You weren't set with parameters on how that character should be. Before Deadlands, all I knew was the class system from D&D and Deadlands opened up a whole new way of looking at character creation for me.

I think munchkinism is rampant in almost any system you choose. SW is definately not immune to it.

Quote:
My hat is off to these PEGINC guys. I finally found my grail!

Glad you found a system that totally fits you. I have yet to find mine. SW, I found, is attractive due to my changing lifestyle. Since work and family has taken up the majority of my time, the minimal prep work is a godsend. That being said, my preferences are different from what SW offers and so I haven't found my grail of gaming yet.
siefertma
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pineappleleader wrote:

Still no SLIPSTREAM.

Still no RED RISING. #1mad

Visit No School Like The Old School: http://noschoololdschoolgames.blogspot.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Noshrok Grimskull
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

siefertma wrote:
pineappleleader wrote:

Still no SLIPSTREAM.

Still no RED RISING. #1mad

Still no WEIRD WAR 2.

"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes 'ding' when there's stuff." - The Doctor (Doctor Who)
steamdriven
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

still no evernight 2 or what ever its called but I have a feeling after swex is out well will all be happy, wait are we not happy already with a great rule set and the settings already out.

you bloody savages! Laughing
steamdriven
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: it's a gift... Reply with quote

manifold wrote:

Knockout Blows (which I now finally get, and they're changing for SWEX! Grrrr)[/i]

are they? we don't know whats changed and been tweeked (well, apart from WOTB) as the book is not out yet. unless you have seen a copy already. have you? lucky sod if you have! Laughing

have faith brother.
Wiggy
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: it's a gift... Reply with quote

manifold wrote:
Knockout Blows (which I now finally get, and they're changing for SWEX! Grrrr)

Not so much a change as a simplification. Same results (pretty much), just a new of presenting them.

Wiggy
steamdriven
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: it's a gift... Reply with quote

Wiggy wrote:
manifold wrote:
Knockout Blows (which I now finally get, and they're changing for SWEX! Grrrr)

Not so much a change as a simplification. Same results (pretty much), just a new of presenting them.

Wiggy

thank fudge for that! Laughing
KaneBlaireau
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly don't remember. I recall hearing about SW (partially like Shinobi on the WWG boards) but I really don't recall what got me to become obsessed with finding a copy of the book. Anyway, the fact that it is a fully featured RPG and mini game is a big thing for me. I liked D20 as D&D 3 but once EVERYTHING became D20 I soon tired of that. You would think I'd feel the same way about any generic system, but I don't. I like a system that lets you build it any way you want it for any game you want.

I will echo the comment on the powers being the only low point. I do like how they work for generic magic, but not a fan of those same rules for inventions. Guess I'll have to fix that!
Llyon Saccoshite
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To try to paraphrase a friend of mine..."I hate spending all night making a competitive NPC bad guy to have him die in two rounds"

SW eliminates that!

I was dying to play a WW2 campaign, but got to hate d20 after many years of dealing with the system.

Downloaded the TD rules, fell in love and then ordered the book. Our 'bible' has been pawned over so much now that the spine is cracking and starting to fall apart (design flaw or overeager hands?).

So now that I have taken my 'poopy pants' off regarding SW:EX and the big secret, I'm sure I will buy a couple of new books as mine is on its last legs.

So what got me to buy SW? Mainly the rules system and the rumor of Weird War II SW style!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: