Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What got you to purchase SW?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What got you into Savage Worlds?
I got into SW through one of the published settings book
14%
 14%  [ 15 ]
I was lured to the core book itself
85%
 85%  [ 90 ]
Total Votes : 105

dm_punks
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: rpg.net Reply with quote

When I burned out from d20's sheer number of feats, prestige classes, and rules, I took a break from running games. During that downtime, I still frequent the rpg.net boards to get RPG-related news and random trivia. One of the topics I saw many of and initially ignored were threads about some game called "Savage Worlds." Images of iron-thewed barbarians and low magic filled my mind, until I came across a post saying that Savage Worlds was actually a universal system.

I googled everything I could find about Savage Worlds, and fell in love. I'm running games again now, all of them using Savage Worlds.
JarJarMessiah
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Call of Cthulh adventure "Have you seen the yellow Sign?" convinced me to switch to SW. The climax of the adventure involved dozens of cultists, several innocent bystanders, six investigators and about 20 NPCs they recuited as allies. Using Chaosiums system took for ever. After 1 hour of real time and three rounds of combat, I started handwaving the combat. The whole thing left everyone feeling unsastisfied. I remember thinking on the way home, "This would not have been a problem if I had been using SW."
I haven't looked back.
GreenTongue
Heroic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Shane's design notes having brought in so many people, pity it is not easy to fine any more.
On the other hand, with the new site, Nothing is easy to find any more. IMHO.
=
Patrick
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'd love to see those notes. Hey management, any way those could get posted again maybe in a Whispers from the Pit?
DerFinsterling
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not management, but I'd like to point you all to the very first issue of Sharkbytes:
http://www.sharkbytes.info/e107_files/downloads/zines/sharkbytes1.pdf

There, the "Making of" was re-printed.
DATI
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before SW was actually released, I heard some buzz about it on rpg.net. That lead me to download the test-drive rules (how different were those rules? Well, at that time, you didn't have a set Toughness stat -- instead, you rolled your Vigor + armor against the damage value).

I was immediately struck by how fast it was to set up and play a game of Savage Worlds. My first game was set in 1946, and involved some US Navy personnel finding an isolated island filled with Japanese marines who had been transformed into heavily armed ghouls. My next game was a Traveller / Call of Cthulhu hybrid. The third game was a ghost story in which the PCs returned from the dead to save endangered family members.

I developed and ran all of those games in about 1/3 to 1/4 the amount of prep time required for any other game on my shelf. And there was definitely no loss of fun involved.

I bought the published version of SW as soon as it became available. And it has been my game of choice ever since.
DerFinsterling
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreenTongue wrote:
On the other hand, with the new site, Nothing is easy to find any more. IMHO.

Patience, young master, patience.
OJ
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought SW after a game of HOE slowed to a crawl. My DL games were fast, but the game bogged down with five PC's and 20 walking deaders.

SW was out, and I already knew it was the spiritual descendant of DL so I bought it.

Now, I only need HOE Reloaded so I can get back to what I was doing a few years ago. *nudge*
Tuesday
Heroic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a big fan of Doomtown, the card game, and one day I was looking at RPGs and saw a Deadlands book - and was all "they made an RPG out of that?"

So, since Doomtown was awesome, I bought the original Deadlands book, decided I loved it, and started playing it and getting all the old books together.

Fast forward a few years. I hadn't heard of Savage Worlds, and was complaining to my friend Jacob that I loved fantasy RPGs, but despised classes, levels, and all the related 1970s crap that D20 is built around, and was finding it really horrendously difficult to find a non-crap system that worked well for over-the-top high fantasy setups[1]. He suggested Savage Worlds, so I borrowed a copy of the main book, read it, decided I liked it, went over to my FLGS and ordered a hardcover version.

And then Deadlands Reloaded came out, so I bought it and converted my existing Deadlands game over to it.

And then I bought a PDF of the main book so I'd have two, and then I bought one of the special limited edition shiny Hangin' Judge Reloaded books so I'd have two of it, then I picked up Necessary Evil and my wife bought Rippers and SWEE is cheap enough that I'm going to buy two (for my group's use) and probably an extra one (so I can lend it out and evangelise)....

So yeah. I got in through Old Deadlands, and the promise that SW was "like Deadlands, but cut way down and much faster and works well for high fantasy". I stayed because, well, it is, and it's a fast system that doesn't get in my way when I want to do stuff.

[1]: Don't suggest 7th Sea. I will stab you. 7th Sea is a very neat system that fixed about 75% of the problems with L5R, but leaves in the core, most serious, most crippling ones: Stats are king, a 1-higher stat means almost guaranteed victory unless the difference is between a 4 and a 5, and an *untrained* fighter will *always* win against a trained swordsman from a school on starting points, just as a Shugenja in L5R will *always* win a duel against a Samurai on starting points, because the untrained fighter will have more points in the critical stats (and the Shugenja will have more Void). Great ideas in the system, sadly crappy execution.
d4
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unlike a lot of people here, i never played Deadlands and never had any interest in it. but i was getting burned out on d20 and other universal systems (GURPS, HERO -- both of which had been my staple systems from about 1987 until 2000).

i was talking to the manager of my FLGS and he suggested looking into Savage Worlds. this was shortly before the core book first came out so i read Shane's design diaries and had a look at the Test Drive rules (don't remember which edition, but i don't think it was the first).

i was hooked on the system even before any of the setting books came out!
pineappleleader
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SLIPSTREAM got me into Savage Worlds. One of the guys at my FLGS read me a press release about the setting. It sounded interesting; so I bought the Savage Rules Book (1st printing).

SLIPSTREAM never showed up, but I bought the Savage Worlds Book (2nd printing) and Necessary Evil. The NE book was a fun read,but I'm not really into supers.

Still no SLIPSTREAM. I put SW on the shelf and played other RPGs.

One day on the Castles & Crusades (Troll Lord Games) boards there was a thread about how several people used Savage Worlds to game
everything, except fantasy. They were so enthusiastic about SW that I went to Pinnacle's Website.

Still no SLIPSTREAM, but there was a link to the Necropolis PDF. It looked very interesting, so I bought one and joined the SW Boards.

Still no SLIPSTREAM. I have decided to make Savage Worlds my game system of choice. It has enough substance to it so that you don't get bored, but is so FFF that you can be up and playing in just a few minutes.

Better yet there are so few rules that I may actually be able to remember them all.

Still no SLIPSTREAM.

Possibly the Most Dangerous Pineapple in the Universe. Possibly Not.
MadTinkerer
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a huge d20 nut from around the time it was announced to shortly before it really started to hurt the industry. I had always been into D&D thanks to my best friend at the time and very first GM. I was hooked when I heard they were taking the AD&D rules and whacking them until they worked 100x better, but what Wizards was trying to do with D&D(3) and the d20 system beyond D&D3 was like a dream come true.

See, even before Shane started developing the Great Rail Wars rules into a proper multi-genre RPG extravaganza that we all know and love today, Wizards was already doing licensed d20 RPGs for a while (D&D Diablo II Edition, Wheel of Time RPG, Call of Cthulhu d20, not to mention Star Wars). They were also letting other people into the playground (my personal faves: Dragonstar, Deadlands d20, Deeds Not Words). They were publishing mini-campaign settings in Polyhedron magazine! They even created d20 Modern, my favorite version of the d20 system.

But then in late 2002 the signs were already starting to show that the dream was going to fall apart. I don't need to repeat what happened to eveyone else, but from my perspective, I was starting to get frustrated. The mini-settings stopped. Dragon Magazine didn't support any non-D&D d20 made by Wizards, let alone the many third-party settings. Ultimately, while I did buy the 3.5 rulebooks, my enthusiasm for pre-3.5 d20 simply didn't carry over. I felt that happening even shortly before 3.5 came out, and so I decided to look around and see what was happening with White Wolf, SJGames and, oh yeah, the guys who made Deadlands d20.

The earliest Test Drive rules and other free SW files I have are dated September 30, 2002. They mention "Toughness rolls" and Professions as separate from what we now know as "Professional Edges". The Warrior Profession granted what we would now call Bonus Damage, which wasn't available to all Heroes at that point(All the other Professions ended up as Profsessional Edges in the final book). The rules still obviously needed work, and that's not what hooked me at all. What really hooked me was The Making of Savage Worlds articles by Shane.

About once a month (I think the first five were posted when I first read them) Shane would post an update on what was going on with SW, where it came from, what was going to happen and so on. His enthusiasm was infectious, and while I didn't do much with the Test Drive before the First Printing came out, I ended up becoming involved with the Savage Worlds Yahoo Group. What I experienced was highly interactive discussion on this brilliantly simple yet fully-featured RPG that was coalescing into something that really could take the place of D&D in my heart.

While I voted for the "core book" option, it was really more about the community and the possibility of what could be done with the rules than the book itself. Savage Worlds is what I had thought and hoped d20 was going to be. EN was a good start and 50 Fathoms and onwards has been pure brilliance. While the recent lack of exciting events* has dulled my enthusiasm just a bit, it seems like the Pinnacle folks have got their act together again and I'm starting to feel the old excitement at the prospect of exploring Savage Worlds further. Plus I'm getting TheEvilMage to GM for me so I don't have to be the GM all the time anymore (which was starting to get more than a little tiresome). That's definitely helped as well.

Oh, yeah and there's a couple other reasons I'm not allowed to say too much about. One of them is Iron Dynasty, which I'm fairly certain I'm allowed to say that I like what I've seen so far. And what JB has generously allowed me to see of TRES only magnifies my anguish that the final TRES book still isn't out yet. And other possible reason(s) are even more hush-hush than them, but suffice it to say that SW will be the RPG for me for quite some time to come.

*[rant]If you discount the Pirates RPG and Necropolis because they're supposed to be different lines, we've had just one new Savage Setting actually released in the last two years: Deadlands Reloaded. Which was kind of expected, and expected much sooner.[/rant]

Check out Mad Tinkerer Dot Org!

Last edited by MadTinkerer on Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:42 am; edited 1 time in total
MadTinkerer
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pineappleleader wrote:
Still no SLIPSTREAM.

Allegedly Slipstream is in the pipeline way ahead of EN2, not long after Sundered Skies which is supposed to be the next one, so don't get too cranky. (As for me, EN1 was the only campaign we actually finished as originally written! I still want EN2 so we can continue the campaign... Crying or Very sad )

Check out Mad Tinkerer Dot Org!
ron blessing
Heroic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MadTinkerer wrote:
*[rant]If you discount the Pirates RPG and Necropolis because they're supposed to be different lines, we've had just one new Savage Setting actually released in the last two years: Deadlands Reloaded. Which was kind of expected, and expected much sooner.[/rant]

What about Low Life, which was released a little over a year and a half ago? Aside from being PDF-only, how is Necropolis not a Savage Setting? With DL:R, that's three settings in 18 months. Except, WotC, White Wolf, and Green Ronin, who's managed more than three settings in 18 months?

I think one of the reasons people are frustrated is that this stuff has been talked about a lot. Slipstream is a great example of why the PEG folks have stopped talking about products that aren't ready. Also, I'm kind of glad PEG isn't just ramming a new book down my throat for the sake of a paycheck. I would love to have more settings more quickly. Slipstream, Red Rising, and Sundered Skies are among them. But not at the cost of cutting corners.

Based on what I know about the printing industry, I'm sure PEG is making little if anything on SW:EX, but it will provide a larger installed base for SW. For the record, Pirates has helped with that as well, I'm betting, along with some financial reward. I think SW:EX, PotSM, and Kane will be what makes Slipstream, Sundered Skies, and Red Rising happen.

This is my opinion, of course. I won't pretend it's humble or anything. Sorry for butting in on your rant, Tinker. You're entitled to you're opinion, too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Savage Oni
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MadTinkerer wrote:
I was a huge d20 nut from around the time it was announced to shortly before it really started to hurt the industry. I had always been into D&D thanks to my best friend at the time and very first GM. I was hooked when I heard they were taking the AD&D rules and whacking them until they worked 100x better, but what Wizards was trying to do with D&D(3) and the d20 system beyond D&D3 was like a dream come true.

I'm still a fan of d20. While SW is a good system, it is not THE system of choice for me.

Quote:
About once a month (I think the first five were posted when I first read them) Shane would post an update on what was going on with SW, where it came from, what was going to happen and so on. His enthusiasm was infectious, and while I didn't do much with the Test Drive before the First Printing came out, I ended up becoming involved with the Savage Worlds Yahoo Group. What I experienced was highly interactive discussion on this brilliantly simple yet fully-featured RPG that was coalescing into something that really could take the place of D&D in my heart.

I love those kinds of articles. I wish I had known. I understand how you feel because there is a game system I like due to the designers talking about their design process and philosophy.

Quote:
While I voted for the "core book" option, it was really more about the community and the possibility of what could be done with the rules than the book itself. Savage Worlds is what I had thought and hoped d20 was going to be. EN was a good start and 50 Fathoms and onwards has been pure brilliance. While the recent lack of exciting events* has dulled my enthusiasm just a bit, it seems like the Pinnacle folks have got their act together again and I'm starting to feel the old excitement at the prospect of exploring Savage Worlds further. Plus I'm getting TheEvilMage to GM for me so I don't have to be the GM all the time anymore (which was starting to get more than a little tiresome). That's definitely helped as well.

I agree that the community here is great.

Quote:
Oh, yeah and there's a couple other reasons I'm not allowed to say too much about. One of them is Iron Dynasty, which I'm fairly certain I'm allowed to say that I like what I've seen so far. And what JB has generously allowed me to see of TRES only magnifies my anguish that the final TRES book still isn't out yet. And other possible reason(s) are even more hush-hush than them, but suffice it to say that SW will be the RPG for me for quite some time to come.

Yes, SW will continue to be enjoyable to play with due to PEG's quality settings. I, personally, am looking forward to Sundered Skies and the plot point books of Deadlands.
tartex
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was reading the reviews on RPG.net as I used to do twice a week back in 2003. Although this new game got only got mediocre ratings (http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/9/9372.phtml), I thought it was cool how many things I wanted to feature in my own home built rule system, were combined here in ways I never was able to come up myself with.
So I went to the webpage and found out about Scairy Tales and Necessary Evil. These concepts hooked me completely and I ordered the rulebook.
Did not use it for another 1,5 years though. Then I found a 50 Fathoms group here on the board.

So i have to say, I probably would not have bought the rules without the campaign settings. Little did I know back then how long it would take for them to appear...
But the rules got my interest in the first place.

Last edited by tartex on Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:04 am; edited 1 time in total
DerFinsterling
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ronism wrote:
Aside from being PDF-only, how is Necropolis not a Savage Setting?

I take it because it's from the Weird Wars line - which is a bit nitpicky, if you ask me Wink
Lakritsploppen
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i saw the rulebook in the store, looked at it said hmmm.. went home googled around a bit, saw all the conversions at savage heroes...
got the book.....

what really got to me was it had a complete rpg (with critical hits charts) + skirmish rules and mass battle rules..
the zombie spell (if you can make undead its a good game)
you could make your own troops fairly easy...
BluSponge
Heroic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ronism wrote:
Also, I'm kind of glad PEG isn't just ramming a new book down my throat for the sake of a paycheck. I would love to have more settings more quickly. Slipstream, Red Rising, and Sundered Skies are among them. But not at the cost of cutting corners.

Also, keep in mind the nature of plot point campaigns. This means the sweet spot between releases for SW should be about every 6 months. That generally means by the time you are finishing up one of the setting campaigns, there is another already available to start and another coming very soon. Of course, if you are a homebrewer, they have two chances a year to hook you! Wink

But yeah, I'm hungry for Slipstream and Sundered Skies, too. But Solomon Kane is the elephant in the room demanding all my money. So I'm not gonna complain too much.

Tom
screenmonkey
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What hooked me on Savage Worlds was talk of something called "Wild Card" on the Weird Wars list in April or May of 2002. Shane gave some of his thoughts on why he was making it and what he wanted to do with it and I thought: "This guy is on the exact same wavelength as me."

So i started the Savage Worlds Yahoo Group, abandoned the notion of ever running a d20 campaign again (thank god), and have been having a blast ever since. #1dance
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: