Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some Pirates of the Spanish Main questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Official Answers on How the Rules In Other Pinnacle Products Work
View previous topic :: View next topic  

So these questions and answers don't disappear...
We need a poll...
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
...with two options.
80%
 80%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 5

Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackheart wrote:
I have another question regarding the rules, being about Wild Card trait rolls and modifiers.

If I have a modifer to my trait rolls, does this affect the Wild Die as well as the trait die? For instance, one of my players have d8 in agility and the Acrobat edge (+2 to agility tricks). When he performs an agility trick, does he:

Roll d8+2 and d6+2, and then pick the best result, or...

Does he roll d8+2 and a single d6 and pick the best result?

Page 71: "Wild Dice are rolled just like the Trait Dice, are subject to the same modifiers, and can Ace as well (see below)."

So all you have to do is roll both dice, determine which one gets the higher result, and then apply all the modifiers.

www.peginc.com
deadlander
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

he adds 2 to whichever die rolled the highest.
Blackheart
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clint wrote:
Blackheart wrote:
I have another question regarding the rules, being about Wild Card trait rolls and modifiers.

If I have a modifer to my trait rolls, does this affect the Wild Die as well as the trait die? For instance, one of my players have d8 in agility and the Acrobat edge (+2 to agility tricks). When he performs an agility trick, does he:

Roll d8+2 and d6+2, and then pick the best result, or...

Does he roll d8+2 and a single d6 and pick the best result?

Page 71: "Wild Dice are rolled just like the Trait Dice, are subject to the same modifiers, and can Ace as well (see below)."

So all you have to do is roll both dice, determine which one gets the higher result, and then apply all the modifiers.

I almost suspected that. Heck Clint, refering to the pages and words you already have right in front of you makes ya feel kinda dumb. Smile
Thanks for the help!
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackheart wrote:
I almost suspected that. Heck Clint, refering to the pages and words you already have right in front of you makes ya feel kinda dumb. Smile
Thanks for the help!

Eh, it happens all the time. SW is such an easy system that one rule can be explained in a single sentence (or even part of a sentence). It can take a bit to get used to compared to systems where any rule might take a whole paragraph to explain. Wink

I just point out the page number to show it is in the book, and where to look for the answer if anyone else wants to know.

www.peginc.com
Wolfson
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daddystabz wrote:
Does anyone know right off which rolls get cumulative rolls and which get only the first Raise? I'll try to investigate also. I just want to make sure I'm right.

While this isn't an 'official' method, I tend to layer Streetwise, Investigation, Knowledge and (sometimes) Notice rolls in my notes. That way, a player may get general things with a success, a little more with a raise, and even more stuff with multiple raises.

Arrr!
Like us on Facebook!
MountZionRyan
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfson wrote:

While this isn't an 'official' method, I tend to layer Streetwise, Investigation, Knowledge and (sometimes) Notice rolls in my notes. That way, a player may get general things with a success, a little more with a raise, and even more stuff with multiple raises.
Arrr!

I do the same. I've also rewarded a super notice roll (say 3+ raises) with uncanny insight about the situation.
Talahar
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MountZionRyan wrote:
Wolfson wrote:

Arrr!

I do the same. I've also rewarded a super notice roll (say 3+ raises) with uncanny insight about the situation.

thats a spur-of-the-moment kinda thing with me...
sometimes i do it, sometimes i dont....
(boils mostly down to if i even have the info ready Wink )
but yeah, since my players don't stop rolling after the first raise (no matter what...) *head hits table at 240mph* *repeatedly*
i tend to give them a little extra when they ace-on-a-string...
"oooh my attack roll was a 26 with d4!" - "great, that's one raise... you still know their toughness is 4, right? dammit!"

but oh well, if they must, they must... as long as they remember to bribe the GM with beer and/or chips...
daddystabz
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another question that has popped into my mind.

I noticed on some characters that I've seen posted on the web that characters can get a + mod to some of their traits.

For instance: I saw a write-up/conversion posted on the web for Spider-Man in which the author listed his Strength at d12+6. I had not seen anything about any instances where you can have a number added to your Trait scrore like that. Is this simply from Edges the character has or is there some core game mechanic I'm not privy to as yet?

Thanks!
JackAce
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daddystabz wrote:

I noticed on some characters that I've seen posted on the web that characters can get a + mod to some of their traits.

For instance: I saw a write-up/conversion posted on the web for Spider-Man in which the author listed his Strength at d12+6. I had not seen anything about any instances where you can have a number added to your Trait scrore like that. Is this simply from Edges the character has or is there some core game mechanic I'm not privy to as yet?

Thanks!
In the case of Spider-Man it's definitely part of the Superpowers rules from Necessary Evil.

In any other (non-Super) case, permanent flat bonusses to Trait rolls should only occur resulting from Edges.
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daddystabz wrote:

Well, there are two issues here.

1. Super characters are typically built using the superpower rules from the Savage Worlds setting book, Necessary Evil, which does things differently from the core rules. That's how a d12+6 Strength is possible.

2. There are lots of ways via Edges in the normal rules to get a bonus added to a Trait. For instance, Alertness adds +2 to Notice which could be listed as d8+2. Or Scholar that adds +2 to two Knowledge skills.

In addition, there are the Legendary Rank Edges, Professional and Expert, that allow a character to increase a d12 Trait to d12+1 and d12+2 respectively.

So there are ways to get a bonus to a Trait in the core rules, but not in the same way or usually to the same extent of that example.

www.peginc.com
daddystabz
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was exactly my guess. My first introduction to the Savage Worlds rules was from the Pirates of the Spanish Main book. I now since have also purchased the Rippers and Deadlands Reloaded books. I have Necessary Evil ordered and am waiting for it to arrive. When it does arrive I will likely learn a lot more about this.

I really want to convert a TON of Marvel characters to the Savage Worlds system and convert the old Marvel RPG over. I couldn't find anyone else's on the net. I am desperately seeking a Shadowrun conversion too.
EHelmers
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clint wrote:
Page 119: Any Edges a ship gains by taking balancing Hindrances are effectively "free." That means they do not count towards a ship's maximum number of Edges.

Obviously a ship cannot have an edge balanced with its opposing hinderence (Shallow Draft and Deep Keel), but is there no cap to how many edges as long as they are balanced with hinderences?

"I want a window seat on the astral plane"
Wiggy
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EHelmers wrote:

Obviously a ship cannot have an edge balanced with its opposing hinderence (Shallow Draft and Deep Keel), but is there no cap to how many edges as long as they are balanced with hinderences?

There are limits Smile

The limit is the number of wounds (or masts, same thing).

Here's how it breaks down in terms of freebie Edges and those which count toward the total.

FREE
A ship can get 2 Edges from Hindrances (just like a character). These don't affect the limit because they are balanced with negative traits.

Some templates allow an Edge which doesn't count toward the limits, like Ram on a galley or Shallow Draft for a schooner. These don't affect the limit because they're design bonuses.

COUNT TOWARD TOTAL
A ship starts with 1 Edge for free. This counts toward the total. (And means a 1-mast ship can take no more Edges without getting some Hindrances).

You can buy extra Edges by using character advances, but each one counts toward the total.

Wiggy
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EHelmers wrote:
Clint wrote:
Page 119: Any Edges a ship gains by taking balancing Hindrances are effectively "free." That means they do not count towards a ship's maximum number of Edges.

Wiggy covered this, but I just wanted to show the reference in the book. On page 119, it says, "A ship may have a maximum of one Major and two Minor Hindrances." So as he mentioned, that would cap the number of Edges from Hindrances at two.

www.peginc.com
EHelmers
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wiggy wrote:
EHelmers wrote:

There are limits Smile

The limit is the number of wounds (or masts, same thing).

Here's how it breaks down in terms of freebie Edges and those which count toward the total.

FREE
A ship can get 2 Edges from Hindrances (just like a character). These don't affect the limit because they are balanced with negative traits.

Some templates allow an Edge which doesn't count toward the limits, like Ram on a galley or Shallow Draft for a schooner. These don't affect the limit because they're design bonuses.

COUNT TOWARD TOTAL
A ship starts with 1 Edge for free. This counts toward the total. (And means a 1-mast ship can take no more Edges without getting some Hindrances).

You can buy extra Edges by using character advances, but each one counts toward the total.

Wiggy

I was having a hard time wrapping my brain round that for some reason.

Thanks Wiggy and Clint!

"I want a window seat on the astral plane"
Blackheart
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I've got another rulesquestion for somebody to solve...

The Wall of steel edge is kind of an upgrade of the florentine (it enhances the florentines abilites and has the later as a requirement for buying WoS). Does this mean that you have to wield two weapons to gain the benefit of Wall of steel?
Wiggy
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackheart wrote:
Alright, I've got another rulesquestion for somebody to solve...

The Wall of steel edge is kind of an upgrade of the florentine (it enhances the florentines abilites and has the later as a requirement for buying WoS). Does this mean that you have to wield two weapons to gain the benefit of Wall of steel?

Nope.

Basically, learning Florentine teaches you how to handle multiple foes. By the time you get to Wall of Steel, you can use a single weapon to do that. That's why it has Florentine as a requirement, but doesn't say you need two weapons. It's the classic parrying three rapiers at once trick you see in the movies.

Having two weapons does help when you're down to your last opponent. Then the Florentine bonus to Fighting kicks in.

Of course, if you don't like that rationale, there's nothing to stop you removing the Florentine requirement and replacing it with Agility d8+.

Wiggy
kaltorak
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A doubt I have: on SW:EX (and on Pirates) it is stated that Professional Edges don't stack.

But other, non professional edges?

IE, if I have a character (a very rough fellow Smile) with Acrobat and Dirty Fighter, he has +4 bonus in Agility tricks?
Wiggy
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kaltorak wrote:
A doubt I have: on SW:EX (and on Pirates) it is stated that Professional Edges don't stack.

But other, non professional edges?

IE, if I have a character (a very rough fellow Smile) with Acrobat and Dirty Fighter, he has +4 bonus in Agility tricks?
#

Yep.

Wiggy
CleanCutRogue
Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Cargo capacities of ships Reply with quote

It says on page 116 that a 2 mast ship "can carry more cargo in a single haul." However, it has the same cargo space as a 1-mast ship. If I analyze the ship sizes, it seems the 2-mast ship should have 6 cargo spaces (since the 3-mast has 8 and the 4-mast 10) but it seems that logic isn't necessarily true since the 5-mast can only carry as much cargo as the 4-mast (10 units)... so I'm a bit confused. Can a larger ship carry more cargo or not?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Official Answers on How the Rules In Other Pinnacle Products Work All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: