Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

World without Clerics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mindseye
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 10:32 am    Post subject: World without Clerics Reply with quote

Looking at the feasibility of a fantasy setting that doesn't have magical healing. One where neither the gods of, or the gods in Lankhmar are willing to grant spells. Arcane magic would still work, and there's nothing stopping a magic using cult leader from using spells and passing them off as miracles of the gods, it's just more a thematic thing more than anything else. More Conan movies and Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser than Forgotten Realms.

Is there a setting for savage worlds that already has this or anyone who has played in a campaign like this?

I am searching for
Someone, Somewhere, but I do
not know who or where
Jordan Peacock
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've actually thought of doing something like this for a more "medieval-ish" feeling setting, but with a slightly different twist. Roughly speaking, I'd allow for someone to take a Background Edge to be a priest or friar or nun or whatever, but it would carry NO inherent miraculous powers.

At its base level, you would enjoy certain social perks (e.g., hospitality from the locals or at monasteries if you are traveling in the lands of the devout of your faith), though there would be certain expectations as well.

However, where this might have any supernatural tie-in would really be dependent upon the GM and whatever monsters/horrors or other situations are thrown at the PCs. There might be, for instance, a ghost haunting an area, and the only way to dispel the ghost permanently is for the unfortunate's body to be found and buried in consecrated ground -- and the nearest church might not be for miles. Hence, it could be handy if one of the party members happens to be a priest who can consecrate the grave. It's not an inherent arcane power -- more just a perk of the station.

The clergyman can't conjure fire from the skies, can't raise the dead, and can't conjure bread and fish -- but now and again there could be an undead creature that has among its weaknesses that although it's normally immune to psychology, it is subject to Tests of Wills (Intimidation) initiated by clergy.

I'd normally treat this as just a function of someone's backstory (and in some cases that's just what I've done for modern/horror settings), but I can just imagine that in certain settings there'd be enough potential benefit to it (e.g., lots of undead!) that it'd be worth having a Background Edge to make it official.
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's two related things.

one is, no divine magic

the 2nd is, no magical healing.

You can have divine magic w/out healing, and you can have magical healing w/out divine magic.

No magical healing is a bit more grim/realistic, eventually you'll have PCs with wounds they must heal long term

you could also consider allowing herbalists or etc to make herbal infusions or etc. but that might ruin the feel you want

http://www.rpgnow.com/product/119241/Kaisers-Gate-Field-Manual-Mounts
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: World without Clerics Reply with quote

Mindseye wrote:
Looking at the feasibility of a fantasy setting that doesn't have magical healing.

Highly feasible (see the Dresden Files, a modern fantasy setting with practically no healing magic). The only issue is one of pacing, remembering to give downtime for the characters to recover from their injuries.

Mindseye wrote:
One where neither the gods of, or the gods in Lankhmar are willing to grant spells.

Also perfectly viable, though separate from the first concern. Remember, healing magic does not have to be divine, and divine magic does not have to include healing. Which is why removing both healing magic and divine magic are two separate, but related (because it's all about magic) issues of the setting.

Mindseye wrote:
Is there a setting for savage worlds that already has this or anyone who has played in a campaign like this?

All of the Sword & Sorcery settings are light on healing magic, and could have it removed pretty easily. Of the lot, my preference is Beasts & Barbarians, but others are perfectly viable.

Good luck.
Ryche
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: World without Clerics Reply with quote

Mindseye wrote:

Gramel's Beast and Barbarians works this way. Not 100% sure, but Solomon Kane may provide the same setup
ogbendog
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to recall reading of a Conan conversion, where after each fight, you rolled Vigor, each success and raise converted a Wound to a level of Fatigue. Said fatigue would be "cured" by carousing.

Jounichi
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ogbendog wrote:
I seem to recall reading of a Conan conversion, where after each fight, you rolled Vigor, each success and raise converted a Wound to a level of Fatigue. Said fatigue would be "cured" by carousing.

That sounds great, until you ace multiple dice in a row and turn 3 wounds into Incapacitation due to fatigue.
ogbendog
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure. The adrenaline rush of combat fades, and you keel over in a dead faint.

or say max of 2 wound's thus removed

The One
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One suggestion for a cinematic game without healing is to give a free natural healing roll at the conclusion of each fight, to go suppliment the innevitable Healing skill rolls as well.

I'd also suggest allowing the Healer weird edge if someone wants to be a "wise man or woman" brewing up natural potions and poultices.

As a related aside, my group doesn't have a healer in it, and whilst on occassion I'll make potions available that remove a Wound or two, its not been that much of an issue for them
Sitting Duck
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Accursed from Melior Via is a fantasy setting without miracle-wielding clerics or healing powers for the existing arcane backgrounds. It also has one of the better plot point campaigns I've encountered.
Mindseye
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it definitely looks dooable, and maybe even a plot point campaign to start with. Cool. Thanks for the tips!

I am searching for
Someone, Somewhere, but I do
not know who or where
evil homer
Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my current fantasy game lacks divine magic but I'm keeping healing in the form of a specific order of prophetic, blind mendicant healers. When they heal they are also granted the gift/curse of prophecy (I'll trade you. Healing for adventure hooks). Their healing is also a reflecting of a reduction of their life force, so healing costs them a wound which they must recover naturally.

As mentioned above Pace will be a huge consideration. Most traditional fantasy games (read D&D/PF/Gurps/HERO/ pretty much everything) assume a certain level of healing is available. Many players are programmed at this point with the same expectation and when it is removed it can cause some issues.
Jonah Hex
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The closest I ever came to a no magical healing game was GURPS Harn game where divine magic was subtle - as in no divine magic was provable. So no poof you are healed. Instead, it just improved your natural healing rate.

In fact, Harn is the only semi-well-known medieval fantasy setting I know of that has no poof you are healed.
amerigoV
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonah Hex wrote:
The closest I ever came to a no magical healing game was

Heh, the closest I ever came was running Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil (D&D 3.x). There was a pretty high mortality rate for the clerics in that game for some reason. #1sasmokin
Snate56
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your blind healers, Homer. I may swipe that! Very Happy

SteveN
Black Knight
Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: World without Clerics Reply with quote

Mindseye wrote:
Looking at the feasibility of a fantasy setting that doesn't have magical healing. One where neither the gods of, or the gods in Lankhmar are willing to grant spells. Arcane magic would still work, and there's nothing stopping a magic using cult leader from using spells and passing them off as miracles of the gods, it's just more a thematic thing more than anything else. More Conan movies and Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser than Forgotten Realms.

Check out Beasts & Barbarians. It's an excellent pulp sword & sorcery setting for Savage Worlds in the style of Conan's Hyborian Age.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: