Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Savage Pokemon?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shmeego
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject: Savage Pokemon? Reply with quote

I haven't put too much thought into this, but it hit me the other day to see if this is already a thing.

My idea was that each player would have at their control 6 allies that they can summon one at a time ("Legally" team rocket and the like wouldn't play by the rules) and once their Pokemon got a wound they would "faint" and couldn't be used until healed at a pokecenter.

They setting would frown upon trainers fighting each other without the use of their Pokemon even though there are trainers with psychic abilities and ones who train in the martial arts. Most edges the trainers get would be the equivalent of the many different poke ball types to catch wild Pokemon or leadership buffs. There would be items like "restore" which can be used instead of the pokemons attack to remove shaken or something.

Let me know if this is already a thing and/or how you all would/do play this setting.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has come up many times.
Samples:
http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41382&highlight=pokemon
http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38390&highlight=pokemon
http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35991&highlight=pokemon
http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33022&highlight=pokemon
http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29661&highlight=pokemon[/url]
tigerguy786
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're playing a Pokemon game right now in our group, and I'm highly considering transitioning it to Savage Worlds, the current system leaves much to be desired.

Did you have any ideas yet? I've had a couple that I've played with over time to make a Savage Pokemon game, but I'm curious about what you have in mind.

I had a post on here for a bit about a Type Profile list for each type, turning type into a race, but I think that the easiest thing to do is just simply build Pokemon as needed the way you would any other NPC/Creature and not worry about balance so much. Every time I've tried it, it just gets overly complicated.

Examples:
Chamander, well he's a little Lizard guy, so let's make him Size -2. Also he has functioning claws, so we'll give him Natural weapons at Str+d4. And he can spit fireballs so we'll give him an inherent ranged attack that does 2d6 damage at 12/24/48, but there's that whole STAB thing...maybe we;'ll make it 2d6+2 to account for that.

Taking a cue from the SPC2, we'll say that if he shoots Bulbasaur with his fireball attack then it does an additional +4 damage against him. Whereas if he shoots Squirtle, the little turtle would have +4 toughness against it.

What about Burn? Well, that's just a trapping of the wounds inflicted by the fireball.

I wouldn't set limits on anything, unless I had a play group that would go crazy with it, and well end of the day the GM has the ability to say No to any given build. As long as you have players willing to work within the confines of it keeping true to the pokemon as presented in the official stuff you won't end up with a sunkern with d12+14 in everything.

About the only time I'd deviate from that is I'd say that players should be encouraged to keep the higher level moves for the higher evolutions. So chamander probably won't have a flamethrower, but when he evolves into Charmeleon, sure. And when it becomes Charizard he gets a blast type power.

Evolution I'd handle on a 'dramatically appropriate' sort of rule. Basically they evolve when it would be cool for them to. Stone evolutions I'd say happen when the stone is presented to the Pokemon, and trade things are sort of a hybrid of the two. You give the pokemon the held item they need and when it's dramatically appropriate they evolve.
tigerguy786
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate spamming a thread, but it's been a few days and haven't seen anything from the OP, so I feel OK adding to my prior post.

Two big things I'm doing:
Adding a command skill for the Trainers (who use standard Character Creation rules) to use in conjunction with the pokemon's loyalty skill.
At any rate I want to emulate the bond between the trainer and the pokemon.

I am going to try giving the trainer's points to spend on special abilities for their pokemon. Mechanically it's something the Trainers activate, but the trappings of the points are an abstract measure of the pokemon's aility/willingness to do a thing. There are some generic abilities (like shaking off status conditions, or unshaking) while there are also Edge based abilities that allow a pokemon to do something they might not otherwise be able to do (a Charmander unleashing Flamethrower or Pikachu blasting Thunder kinds of things). This uses their Command skill to activate.

I am thinking I want to have Psychic, Ghost and maybe Fairy? are opposed rolls. Basically Alakazam hits Aggron with Psychic and they make a Smarts vs Spirit roll. If Alakazam wins he does his damage (which would be higher than normal because it's harder to actually do damage that way). This would be any ability that's flavored as a mental or mystical attack rather than something thats fire, lightning or wind based.

Pokemon loyalty is used in a few ways. First Pokemon have a Bond derived stat that is used to unlock benefits at different levels. It also serves as the Pokemon's Parry versus being stolen (which is an important part of the system). One of the benefits of Loyalty is the ability to add the die type to certain rolls, this representing the Pokemon doing something it might not otherwise be very good at because of it's bond with the Trainer (something that they've done in XY and in the anime). At the highest Bond level the Loyalty die can be added to Damage, but lower levels allow it to be added to unshake, or shrugging off status conditions, etc.

Pokemon stats are written up just like any creature's stats, they are "what they should be". Weaknesses are more limited (primarily because extra damage is such a big deal in Savage worlds that giving some pokemon 3 or 4 weaknesses- or 7 at the highest! would make them entirely useless) so when I stat a pokemon like Charmander (can you tell I'm a fan?) I would look at his list of weaknesses and decide that since Charmander has open flame on his tail, that water should be his weakness, but not ground or rock.

This is all HIGHLY experimental, so I may come back in a month with all new revisions and mass changes...or this could work really well. We'll have to see.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: