Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do you handle your PDF files?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do you do with your pdf's?
Print-Two sided, Hole Punch(or page sleeves), Binder.
35%
 35%  [ 12 ]
Print-Two sided, Have pages sprial bound.
38%
 38%  [ 13 ]
Print-Two sided, Staple.
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Print-One sided, leave in a big stack.
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Print only the regulary used pages.
14%
 14%  [ 5 ]
I only buy the published books.
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 34

Skittlebrau
Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: How do you handle your PDF files? Reply with quote

So yeah....I am trying to figure out a way to deal with all these PDF's I am downloading... I am an old-school guy I guess and I always want a nice book that I can carry around and looks nice on my bookshelf. But since 75% of the Savage World stuff I am interested in comes only as a download... I guess I need some new options.

Last edited by Skittlebrau on Sun May 13, 2007 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
obatron
Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need another option...

I print two sided and take to Staples and get them spiral bound with covers.
Skittlebrau
Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

added. thanks for the input. What is the average cost for that?? and is it those crappy plastic things that pages pull out of, and you cant open all the way, or a real spiral binding like a notebook?
pineappleleader
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you handle your PDF files? Reply with quote

Skittlebrau wrote:
So yeah....I am trying to figure out a way to deal with all these PDF's I am downloading... I am an old-school guy I guess and I always want a nice book that I can carry around and looks nice on my bookshelf. But since 75% of the Savage World stuff I am interested in comes only as a download... I guess I need some new options.

I print one sided in black and white (grayscale, for you computer nerds). Then I put them in sleeves in a binder - two pages (back to back) to a sleeve. This keeps everything nice - no holes.

I also correct all the errata in red ink. This is sometimes a pain, as matching the type style and point size is not always possilbe. I white-out the error and glue the (red) correction over it if possible. If not, I put the correction as close to the error as possible. As I have had the sleeves quite a while, I forget what they cost - something like 20 US Dollars per 100 sleeves. Not cheap.

A week ago I had both the Savage Worlds Revised PDF and the Necropolis PDF printed (in grayscale) at Fed Ex/ Kinkos for slightly less than 11 US Dollars each.

Printing is not the big cost. Binders and Sleeves cost much more. I buy used binders, if I can find them at a Thrift Shop. Sleeves I buy new. They are very pricey, but worth it to keep the pages protected.

Possibly the Most Dangerous Pineapple in the Universe. Possibly Not.
Skittlebrau
Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I should have thought out my poll questions better:)

Yes, I was edging towards the sleeves myself as it would be fairly easy to update or edit. But, I remember from other projects how MUCH those darn pages run....

I just wish they sold em all in book form... hehe. sooooo much nicer on the book shelf. but I understand the reasons. I am glad I can at least get the Core Book and a few of the World books in classic bound, printed, paper form..
Tuesday
Heroic

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted "spiral" even though I won't touch a spiral binder when I have a Cerlox machine available.

(That's the one with the little rectangular holes. It's super-cheap, super-easy, works just fine and the pages don't fall out unless you've got way more than the spine of the binding can hold.)
Skittlebrau
Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was counting those as spiral... and I have one as well.... but I really don't like em....don't ask me why...
Alan
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to print adventures and small stuff single sided and loose leaf for ease of reference. Main rulebook pdfs I tend to use as handy references and additions to the physical product. Although I might occasionally print needful pages.

Follow Savage Mojo on Twitter.
goblinmarine
Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i go with home-made bindings (zip ties) and a 3-hole punch
it's not the best solution, but boy is it cheap, easy, and fast. and the friends got a laugh out of it too.
rudedd
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go the Staples route too, with about 10-12 pdfs bound now. I just had the Sci-fi and Fantasy Worldbuilders Toolkits printed/bound (about 70 pages each) and both the 50 Fathoms Companion and Fantasy Character Builder bound (printed those myself). All of that cost me just under $20 with color print first page and a clear plastic cover and card stock on the back.

As for the binding it is well done and more like a notebook. I definitely recommend the binding, but if you like a more book like feel there is an option for a hard cover binding w/ no spiral.

Good luck and enjoy the pdfs, they are great stuff.
obatron
Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skittlebrau wrote:
added. thanks for the input. What is the average cost for that?? and is it those crappy plastic things that pages pull out of, and you cant open all the way, or a real spiral binding like a notebook?

Outside of the printing, it's about $7. It's not the comb, it's spiral like the notebook, with a heavy plastic clear front cover, and a solid back (or clear if you want it) back plastic cover. Prices may vary, I look around between Kinkos, Staples and a couple of local ones to find the least expensive options.
Armmeggedon
Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also got a cheap tablet PC from ebay to view them on.
Snate56
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not printed any big stuff yet, just adventures and cheat sheets, etc., but I print single sided, color, and slip them back to back into one of those presentation folders/brochures; kind of like page protectors already bound, in lots of 6, 12, 24 & 48 pages.
If I did print a large project though I would do it double sided.

SteveN
Noshrok Grimskull
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other...
I print them two pages to one page, leaving the other side of the paper blank, and then I put them in clip-binders. I also do not print the covers, starting off with the title page instead.

"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes 'ding' when there's stuff." - The Doctor (Doctor Who)
Dahak
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About half I've printed out the print friendly versions in colour, printing the covers on cardstock and using the spine of a report cover as binding. The other half I've had PrintFu make from the non-print friendly versions. Neither is ideal, but I work with what I'm given.
Lord Abaddon of Wormwood
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I print in booklet format. Two pages per size, double sided. Once printed the paper is cut in half and the book is formed by closing the two halves together. The cut edge is the spine of the book. I usually get my book spiral bound so the book can be open and folded back upon it's self.

Also if you can find a laser to print with as the print will stand out on the page. Colour laser esp.

Me, I have a print room at work that I give my usb key too and have the book bound and delivered to me later that day.

Lord Abaddon of Wormwood
jakewaltier
Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuesday wrote:
I voted "spiral" even though I won't touch a spiral binder when I have a Cerlox machine available.

(That's the one with the little rectangular holes. It's super-cheap, super-easy, works just fine and the pages don't fall out unless you've got way more than the spine of the binding can hold.)

That's what I use too. My office has one and the office manager is very accomodating.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: