Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

a question about danger sense

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Official Answers on How the Core Rules Work
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manifold
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: a question about danger sense Reply with quote

So, in our last game Danger Sense came up, which initiated some qeustions in my mind about Danger Sense, ambushes, and the drop.

Here's my scenario, as I think it should have played out (I flubbed it miserably.)

Set up:

The posse are boating up river. An ambush awaits them on either side, as the piolet navigates around an island in the center of the channel.

As they approach, the character with Danger Sense, Ruby McAllister, makes a notice roll at -2.

If she succeeds she goes on hold. She and the abmushers, who are on hold, make opposed agility rolls to see who goes first.

If she fails, she, along with the rest of the posse, make notice rolls to see if they can act in the first round. If she succeeds this notice roll, she is dealt in normally.

Is this right so far?

What about The Drop? Is it fair to say that a bunch of people concentrating on moving a boat upstream aren't looking for ambushes, unless they say they are? What about Ruby? Once her danger sense goes off, I'd say that The Drop isn't an option, unless she's somehow unable to react. Any pointers for The Drop? (This might be a good Whisper from the Pit. Or not.)
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: a question about danger sense Reply with quote

manifold wrote:
Set up:

The posse are boating up river. An ambush awaits them on either side, as the piolet navigates around an island in the center of the channel.

As they approach, the character with Danger Sense, Ruby McAllister, makes a notice roll at -2.

If she succeeds she goes on hold. She and the abmushers, who are on hold, make opposed agility rolls to see who goes first.

If she fails, she, along with the rest of the posse, make notice rolls to see if they can act in the first round. If she succeeds this notice roll, she is dealt in normally.

Is this right so far?

Yep, looks dead on.

manifold wrote:
What about The Drop? Is it fair to say that a bunch of people concentrating on moving a boat upstream aren't looking for ambushes, unless they say they are? What about Ruby? Once her danger sense goes off, I'd say that The Drop isn't an option, unless she's somehow unable to react. Any pointers for The Drop? (This might be a good Whisper from the Pit. Or not.)

The key with the Drop in these situations is to remember that it would only apply if the characters are "completely unaware of the danger..."

A successful Danger Sense roll would obviously negate the Drop for that reason. In fact, so would a successful Notice to get dealt in; the character is aware of the danger even if it can act before him.

So in that case, the characters who failed their Notice rolls and got no action are the ones who might be subject to the Drop. Even then, the GM could rule that circumstances still negate the Drop.

The Drop works when the attacker has a significant advantage over his opponent. At range, that becomes trickier. Even an unaware opponent might have some effect that puts the attacker at enough of a disadvantage to disable the Drop (thus the reason why the Drop typically only occurs at a distance of a few feet).

That kind of call falls to the GM and really depends on the situation. If you would like an unofficial but concrete determination, a house rule could be implemented that only a character with Marksman can get the Drop at range (they don't have to use Marksman, but they have to have the Edge).

Hope this helps.

www.peginc.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Official Answers on How the Core Rules Work All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: