Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Me... again.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Official Answers on How the Core Rules Work
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red Mercy
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Me... again. Reply with quote

As usual, thanks for answering my questions. I know I have a lot of 'em. Fortunately, I'm getting this thing figured out pretty well, so it' only a matter of time before I'm an expert Wink
Anyway, three more questions:

First of all, I noticed that, with heavier armor, nothing is stated in the way of penalities to certain actions where the armor's weight may be a factor (such as climbing, swimming, even spellcasting, etc.) My take is to apply penalities on the fly, such as perhaps a -4 for a character to swim while wearing plate. And that seems to work pretty well, but I'm just wondering if there's a more concrete way of figuring this out.

Secondly, with regards to the "raise (lower) trait" spell -- does learning this spell allow you to affect any trait with just the one spell, or do you need to take this power each time for each trait you wish to be able to affect? i.e., once to be able to raise str, another for fighting, and so on.

Finally, looking at certain enemies in the game... I'm assuming that, unless otherwise stated, they do do bonus damage if they hit with a raise just like players can. However, certain creatures have other effects -- for example, a dire wolf that hits the target's least-armored location. Is this effect applied in addition to the 1d6 bonus damage, or instead of it?
As usual, thanks!
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Me... again. Reply with quote

Red Mercy wrote:
As usual, thanks for answering my questions. I know I have a lot of 'em. Fortunately, I'm getting this thing figured out pretty well, so it' only a matter of time before I'm an expert Wink

Happens to us all sooner or later! Wink

Red Mercy wrote:
First of all, I noticed that, with heavier armor, nothing is stated in the way of penalities to certain actions where the armor's weight may be a factor (such as climbing, swimming, even spellcasting, etc.) My take is to apply penalities on the fly, such as perhaps a -4 for a character to swim while wearing plate. And that seems to work pretty well, but I'm just wondering if there's a more concrete way of figuring this out.

Look at page 10, under Gear and Encumbrance. Under that it discusses how to figure a character's Load Limit. This is the amount of weight they can carry with no penalty. Each additional increment of this amount inflicts a penalty on all Strength and Agility based rolls (including skills linked to them).

Spellcasting and arcane skills (unless somehow linked to Strength or Agility) are not adversely affected by encumbrance by the standard rules. Still, doesn't lead to as many "wizards in plate mail" as is sometimes expected; the inherent penalties and character limitations tend to keep it in check quite well.

Red Mercy wrote:
Secondly, with regards to the "raise (lower) trait" spell -- does learning this spell allow you to affect any trait with just the one spell, or do you need to take this power each time for each trait you wish to be able to affect? i.e., once to be able to raise str, another for fighting, and so on.

The one power can affect any Trait. The caster just decides which one they want to affect when casting.

And to go with the usual follow-up question... Wink

No, it's not nearly as powerful as it may seem in actual use, but it is a nice power.

[P.S. General chat has a thread where some people are discussing variants of this power.]

Red Mercy wrote:
Finally, looking at certain enemies in the game... I'm assuming that, unless otherwise stated, they do do bonus damage if they hit with a raise just like players can. However, certain creatures have other effects -- for example, a dire wolf that hits the target's least-armored location. Is this effect applied in addition to the 1d6 bonus damage, or instead of it?

It's in addition.

Every attacker gets the +1d6 for a raise on their attack roll (if the attack itself allows it, for instance, Area Effect attacks do not get the bonus damage)' special abilities like Go For The Throat are in addition to that bonus damage (unless it should specifically say it replaces it).

Hope this helps. As usual, if anything isn't clear, just let me know.

www.peginc.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Official Answers on How the Core Rules Work All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: